10 Francesco giullare di Dio

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
Martha

10 Francesco giullare di Dio

#1 Post by Martha » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:34 pm

Francesco giullare di Dio

Roberto Rossellini and co-writer Federico Fellini lovingly render the very spirit of Franciscan teaching in this extraordinarily fresh and simple film which was unappreciated at the time of its release, but now regarded as one of his greatest. Shot in a neorealist manner with non-professional actors (including thirteen real Franciscan monks from the convent of Nocere Inferiore) it avoids the pious clichés of haloed movie saints with an economy of expression and a touching, human quality.

Inspired by I fioretti ("Little Flowers"), a collection of stories about St. Francis of Assisi and the Franciscan monks, Rossellini's Francesco giullare di Dio takes place in the early 13th century when violent conflicts between individual cities tore Italy apart. Pestilence and famine were widespread and the powerful abbeys became rife with corruption and abuses of power. Amidst this unrest, Giovanni Francesco Bernadine (Francis of Assisi) began to foster a community that challenged people to reclaim the humility and purity of the teachings of Christ.

Presented, like the book it is based on, as a tableau of episodes from the life of 'the people's saint', Francesco giullare di Dio offers a compelling vision of life that rejects materialism and violence. Thanks to Rossellini's film, Francesco and his little brothers will remain alive forever: making handicrafts, planting seeds, and building huts in their harmonious accord between Man and Nature.

Never properly released theatrically nor on home video in the UK, The Masters of Cinema Series proudly presents Francesco giullare di Dio in its fully restored glory. This is the original Italian version reaffirming intertitles and scenes removed from the US release version "The Flowers of St. Francis".

"The most beautiful film in the world." – François Truffaut
"Among the most beautiful in Italian cinema." – Pier Paolo Pasolini
"I've never seen the life of a saint treated on film with so little solemnity and so much warmth." – Martin Scorsese

SPECIAL FEATURES

• Newly restored transfer of the complete Italian version
• A written appreciation of the film by Martin Scorsese
• A video introduction by critic Maurizio Porro
• New English subtitle translation
• Original restored Italian chapter intertitles
• The non-Rossellini Giotto prologue added for the original US release
• The only remaining images from a deleted scene
• Restoration documentary with Enzo Verzini and restoration demonstration
• 32-page booklet with: a complete version history; an evaluation of the film’s critical reception; a new essay on the life and history of ‘San Francesco’; Martin Scorsese’s specially written appreciation; a message about the film by Roberto Rossellini; rare colour promotional photographs; and a reprinted chapter from the Fioretti di San Francesco.

FilmFanSea

#2 Post by FilmFanSea » Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:31 pm

I doubt that many people (including myself) have seen this film, but I'll be buying it blind. A couple of reviews to pique your interest:

Dave Kehr's capsule review at the Chicago Reader:
Roberto Rossellini's buoyant 1950 masterpiece, a glorious hallucination of perfect harmony between man and nature. The Franciscans arrive at Assisi in the first reel and leave in the last. In between, as they say, nothing happens and everything happens. Rossellini is able to suggest the scope and rhythm of an entire lost way of life through a gradual accumulation of well-observed detail. The Franciscans are at once inspired and slightly foolish, but Rossellini maintains a profound respect for the grandeur of their delusions. A great film, all the more impressive for being apparently effortless. 83 min.
Also see Acquarello's review at Strictly Film School

Lino

#3 Post by Lino » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:58 pm

This is currently my most antecipated title in the series. Having never seen more than the clips presented on Martin Scorsese's documentary on Italian Cinema, I'm sure that this is going to be one film that I will return again and again for its religious theme (that I feel very close to) and the simplicity and honesty of its cinematic delivery.

ellipsis7

#4 Post by ellipsis7 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:16 pm

It's a wonderful film which I only have in a multiply copied, dubbed, degraded VHS... I'm really looking forward to this one. Inexplicably very little Rossellini has made it to DVD in US R1 or UKR2 - the excellent bfi disc of VOYAGE TO ITALY being an exception... So this Eureka/MoC release of FRANCESCO is doubly welcome. Maybe they might turn their attention also to EUROPA 51...

Donald Trampoline

#5 Post by Donald Trampoline » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:02 pm

I saw this in a pristine print at LACMA in Los Angeles, and I absolutely adored it. It was a great choice to release this on DVD.

Steven H

#6 Post by Steven H » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:14 pm

I love this film. I don't think it's been mentioned, but there are some bits of broad comedy in this as well (some of the humor in Pasolini's La Ricotta reminded me of this, specifically the laughable yet tragic main character).

backstreetsbackalright

#7 Post by backstreetsbackalright » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:58 pm

Dunno how I only just now saw that this was coming out! Very good news indeed. I've seen a crappy VHS tape, but I think it had a shorter runtime. Really looking forward to this.... And what is this, like, the third Rossellini DVD out there? I totally agree with ellipsis7's fondness for Europa 51. That is a tremendous movie.

Anonymous

#8 Post by Anonymous » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:24 am

I don't know if anyone's noticed - well, I'm truly excited about this film - but the MoC site has revised its details on the Francesco disc.

There's now a video introduction by critic Maurizio Porro, a restoration documentary with Enzo Verzini and it even looks like Martin Scorsese has got involved with "a personal appreciation of the film"!! That's a major coup for Masters of Cinema!

colinr0380

#9 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:37 am

joe chip wrote:it even looks like Martin Scorsese has got involved with "a personal appreciation of the film"!! That's a major coup for Masters of Cinema!
It sounds good, but I need more clarification - is this a special interview for the release or just the excerpt from My Voyage To Italy that relates to the film?

peerpee
not perpee

#10 Post by peerpee » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:38 am

It's a specially-written piece for the booklet.

Lino

#11 Post by Lino » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:03 pm

Wow! That is genuinely fantastic! I'd love to know how that came about.

Meanwhile. just found =http://www.icine.it//fmm/articoli.php? ... his review of the Italian edition (in italian).

peerpee
not perpee

#12 Post by peerpee » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:07 pm

Now they're final:
S P E C I A L F E A T U R E S
Newly restored transfer of the complete Italian version
A written appreciation of the film by Martin Scorsese
A video introduction by critic Maurizio Porro
New English subtitle translation
Original restored Italian chapter intertitles
The non-Rossellini Giotto prologue added for the original US release
The only remaining images from a deleted scene
Restoration documentary with Enzo Verzini and restoration demonstration
32-page booklet with: a complete version history; an evaluation of the film's critical reception; a new essay on the life and history of 'San Francesco'; Martin Scorsese's specially written appreciation; a message about the film by Roberto Rossellini; rare colour promotional photographs; and a reprinted chapter from the Fioretti di San Francesco.

Cinéslob

#13 Post by Cinéslob » Thu May 05, 2005 12:47 pm

The Beaver review is up

It would appear to be another triumph for Eureka and MoC. Hooray!

daniel p

#14 Post by daniel p » Thu May 05, 2005 11:43 pm

Gary mentions that it's a better restoration than the 2 Teshigahara MOC discs, but judging by those screenshots, I'd say it could do with some sharpening, and there appears to be some edge enhancement.
The disc does look fantastic to me, a very worthy purchase, but to my eyes the Teshigahara's look better - but who am I to judge without seeing the actual disc anyway...

peerpee
not perpee

#15 Post by peerpee » Fri May 06, 2005 1:16 am

Which grabs have "edge-enhancement" then?

Rufus T. Firefly

#16 Post by Rufus T. Firefly » Fri May 06, 2005 1:32 am

peerpee wrote:Which grabs have "edge-enhancement" then?
The first one, with haloes around the heads of the monks at the back, and the last one, where the figures have haloes around them. Check the left side of the shepherd at the front left.

peerpee
not perpee

#17 Post by peerpee » Fri May 06, 2005 10:45 am

"Edge enhancement" is a digital filter which has to be deliberately applied. No such filter was used on this disc.

daniel p

#18 Post by daniel p » Fri May 06, 2005 10:12 pm

peerpee wrote:"Edge enhancement" is a digital filter which has to be deliberately applied. No such filter was used on this disc.
Fair enough... it just looks like EE. Especially
when zoomed a bit.

I was absolutely blown away by the Teshigahara discs that's all... maybe the screencaps don't do it justice.

Lino

#19 Post by Lino » Sun May 29, 2005 12:53 pm

DVD Times review
Francesco giullare di Dio�s DVD presentation is little short of superb. Though there are very minor signs of damage (which are only truly noticeable during the final scene) the restoration work is near flawless.

ellipsis7

#20 Post by ellipsis7 » Tue May 31, 2005 7:58 am

Just to say this is a really excellent release... A lovely luminous transfer of the restored print, a beautifully produced booklet, well chosen extras, and thorough subtitling (slight quibble with their placement over opening titles, and timing to let some hang awkwardly over some cuts, but that's probably being overly critical)...

It's a great film, and MoC/Nick should be proud of the DVD... At last (along with the bfi disc of JOURNEY TO ITALY) Rossellini is getting the treatment he deserves (and this a better quality print than the one the bfi used) ... Maybe MoC might consider EUROPA 51 for future treatment?

What A Disgrace

#21 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:13 pm

I just received mine in the mail, along with Michael and Asphalt, both long overdue purchases. I couldn't be happier...I'll be watching it tonight.

Doug Cummings

#22 Post by Doug Cummings » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:20 pm

ellipsis7 wrote:Maybe MoC might consider EUROPA 51 for future treatment?
Trust me, it has been considered. It's probably my favorite Rossellini film.

Lino

#23 Post by Lino » Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:45 am

Beaver comparison is up and I just want to say that MoC has my vote.

shirobamba

#24 Post by shirobamba » Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:08 am

Beaver comparison is up and I just want to say that MoC has my vote
Not only my vote, but my €€€ as well!

Nick I have to =D> again

Anonymous

#25 Post by Anonymous » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:22 pm

Have either of you actually seen the Criterion in motion, though? - Gary has, he says "the Criterion appears sharper, but the Eureka has less damage, less flickering and less cropping." -- That's "less damage, less flickering, and less cropping".