It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please do not clutter up the threads for MoC titles with information on pre-orders. You can announce the availability of pre-orders in the MoC: Cheapest Prices / Best Places to Buy / Pre-Orders thread. Any posts on pre-orders in any other thread will be deleted.

Post subject: BD 159 Creepy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:46 am 
Dot Com Dom

Announced for the next quarter from MoC

Post subject: Re: Forthcoming: Creepy
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:29 pm 

Theatrical release for November so the BD/DVD should follow later that month.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:51 pm 

Finch wrote:
Theatrical release for November so the BD/DVD should follow later that month.

25th November it looks like.

If it's anything like Journey to the Shore, they'll be releasing it on Dual Format just the week after (or two weeks after like Sweet Bean and Queen of Earth). Might want to get it out in good time for Christmas though, for obvious reasons.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:00 pm 

Glad to hear this is "in the pipeline".

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:31 pm 

Coming in January. The Amazon page doesn't display the cover art, but it does show up as a thumbnail when searching for the title. It seems to be spine 159. That leaves three spines currently unaccounted for.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:01 pm 

What A Disgrace wrote:
Coming in January. The Amazon page doesn't display the cover art, but it does show up as a thumbnail when searching for the title. It seems to be spine 159. That leaves three spines currently unaccounted for.

How did you read the spine number? That thumbnail was way too small for me to even see it.

Yeah, interesting they've gone for a January release on this one. Guess they want the theatrical/VoD release to breathe for a couple of months first. That may mean they have Varieté and/or Death in the Garden readied for November/early December instead...

Post subject: Re: BD 159 Creepy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:14 pm 

You can see it bigger if you change the number that controls the size in the url. It's posted in the MoC cover art thread.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:43 pm 

swo17 wrote:
You can see it bigger if you change the number that controls the size in the url. It's posted in the MoC cover art thread.

Thanks for the heads-up.

I wonder if Eureka are picking up Kurosawa's next film The Woman in the Silver Plate (aka Daguerrotype) for the UK? Seems they've gone all-in for two of his latest, so why not his French-language debut?

It'd also be interesting to see if they could get things like Cure or Pulse, but something tells me those are the kinds of films Palisades Tartan are hanging onto for dear life (for whatever reason - it's not like they're actually doing anything of note in the UK market).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:35 pm 

I'd love to see a great transfer of Charisma....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:46 pm 

Michael Kerpan wrote:
I'd love to see a great transfer of Charisma....

Yes. I've not kept on top of Kurosawa's films as much as I would like, but this is probably my favorite: weird, creepy, oddly hilarious at times, and beautifully photographed (as far as one can tell from the existing non-anamorphic HVE disc).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:50 am 

Saw this the other day on the big screen, and I can say that those four adjectives attributed above to Charisma certainly fit this one as well: it's probably his (darkly) funniest and most genuinely harrowing film for a while. 130 minutes went breezily by, didn't feel the slowness that people have felt about this and Journey to the Shore (I do remember feeling it slightly in Real though). Crowd seemed to like it, as almost all the critics have done (averaging 95/100 on Critics Round Up): nice to see Kurosawa get some widespread acclaim for a change. Hoping this release will do well for Eureka!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:04 am 

I liked Creepy well enough -- but only moderately -- despite not really "believing" hardly any of the plot (rather similar to my reaction to Elle). Didn't feel it was slow (but didn't feel this way about Journey to the Shore either). Curiously, the most interesting (and overall believable) character was the daughter of the creepy neighbor, who was only a supporting character (albeit a not unimportant one).

Not sure why this has sparked essentially zero post-BD release discussion...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:38 am 

Feihong had a lengthy analysis of it here.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:51 am 

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:
Feihong had a lengthy analysis of it here.

Feihong wonders about the ending, my sense is that...

[Reveal] Spoiler:
...the key figure was the girl -- who seemed more resistant, if only fitfully, to the control of the villain. She was able to keep her hatred (and one might assume her desire for revenge) alive. The villain seemed sure of his control over her -- and trusted her most to carry out his orders -- and I would guess she "forgot" to inject the new victims -- just as she did her mother. I suspect I wouldn't have liked the film much at all if this character (and the young actress portraying the character) had not been present

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:02 pm 

Overall I thought this was a pretty hackneyed film, pretentious in it's approach to what is - when you boil it all down - a rather schlocky premise. The former detective with a troubled past, who, reluctantly, is drawn back to a case involving a potential serial-killer, is as clichéd as they come, but I went with it initially, hoping that Kurosawa might be able to spin this straw into gold. Unfortunately the film saddles itself with a central coincidence of plot that really takes some swallowing and a rather whiplash-inducing change of character for the protagonist's wife that is a stretch too far. On the plus side, Kurosawa's framing is pretty good, using off-kilter high-angles and empty doorways to generate a palpable tension. It's the kind of film you can see Hollywood remaking in a year or two without having to alter a thing!