It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please do not clutter up the threads for MoC titles with information on pre-orders. You can announce the availability of pre-orders in the MoC: Cheapest Prices / Best Places to Buy / Pre-Orders thread. Any posts on pre-orders in any other thread will be deleted.

Post subject: Re: BD 123 Shane
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:59 am 
Dot Com Dom

Amazon canceled my order, so I guess the original release is gone. That's okay, unlike On the Waterfront there's really no need to have different aspect ratios for this one, but it was an interesting curiosity nonetheless

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:31 pm 

They cancelled mine too - I'm a bit bummed about it :(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:28 am 

Actually, when I received the cancellation e-mail, I followed the link in that e-mail to the product page and it showed up as in stock there from Amazon ("few remaining"). Ordered again immediately and it shipped in the meantime....It was out of stock again soon after, but strange anyhow that earlier orders weren't honoured but cancelled.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:00 am 
Dot Com Dom

Interestingly, the US Blu-Ray has also gone OOP and is fetching $60+ on the Marketplace. Really kicking myself for not picking up the MoC when it was like ten pounds because I thought it wasn't worth the effort of reselling my Warners Blu!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:56 am 

Like Sorcerer, the regular Warner blu seems to be in stock on Amazon CA, fwiw.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:00 am 

Shane, come back!

Anyway, frustrating considering all the work that went into that release, but they did say it was a limited edition. So it goes...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:15 am 

Eureka is bringing out a single-disc edition that will contain virtually everything from the two-discer apart from the widescreen versions. Which, as Domino correctly says, are no more than a historical curiosity.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:08 pm 

There is an Australian bluray of Shane which I cold pick up dirt cheap (as I live in Oz). But I will not, because many Paramount releases here do not include any of the extras found in US or UK releases. Why this is the case, I don't know - but it seems very common with their releases.

Reviews are not always available to verify the presence or absence of extras, but they certainly aren't mentioning them on the packaging. With Chinatown, for example, they clearly Photo-shopped the back cover artwork to remove the listing of extras, and left a big space there.

I don't want to get too far off topic, but before Christmas I finally bit the bullet and bought 'It's a Wonderful Life' on Paramount BD for $8 on special. I believe that the US and UK versions have both the original and colourised versions. There was no mention of the colourised version on the Australian packaging, so I took it home and popped it in the player, expecting to see the black and white version - but instead we get the colourised version! WTF?

Anyway, I'll be getting MOC's Shane when it's reissued.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:54 pm 

I just placed an order for the 1-disc Shane (along with The 'burbs) for about $34 on Amazon.uk. It's interesting that you can easily get MoC and Arrow releases for under $20 but getting a Criterion at $20 is a bi-annual event.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:10 am 

Luke M wrote:
It's interesting that you can easily get MoC and Arrow releases for under $20 but getting a Criterion at $20 is a bi-annual event.

So Criterion is thus much more likely to sell at a higher price to people who can't wait (or don't know they should).
I'm wondering if it translates into more high-price sales.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:04 am 

Luke M wrote:
I just placed an order for the 1-disc Shane (along with The 'burbs) for about $34 on Amazon.uk. It's interesting that you can easily get MoC and Arrow releases for under $20 but getting a Criterion at $20 is a bi-annual event.

Counting the Criterion site's flash sales, a quarterly event. And with coupons etc., you can get them under $20 during the B&N sales.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:01 pm 

tenia wrote:
Luke M wrote:
It's interesting that you can easily get MoC and Arrow releases for under $20 but getting a Criterion at $20 is a bi-annual event.

So Criterion is thus much more likely to sell at a higher price to people who can't wait (or don't know they should).
I'm wondering if it translates into more high-price sales.

The Brits have a lower tolerance for higher prices of DVD/Blu-rays, maybe?