It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please do not clutter up the threads for MoC titles with information on pre-orders. You can announce the availability of pre-orders in the MoC: Cheapest Prices / Best Places to Buy / Pre-Orders thread. Any posts on pre-orders in any other thread will be deleted.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:26 am 

If anyone's curious about how MoC resolved the framerate issue, it's three frames-repeat frame-three frames-repeat frame undsoweiter. In other words, an authentically progressive rendering of an 18fps original, which historically sounds right - and it looks fine in motion.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:42 am 

One can always rely on MoC to get this stuff right. I hope Kino are going to do the same, which they should since it's presumably the simplest method anyway, but then you look at Nosferatu...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:05 pm 

Another addition to the extras:
3 featurettes on the restoration

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:33 pm 

Beaver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:28 pm 

That looks spectacular. Looking forward to watching this with German intertitles for the first time.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:06 pm 

Agreed. This looks amazing. As soon as this arrives it will be spinning in my player.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:45 pm 

Picture quality is great.

I didn't mind the score, apart from the iconic abduction scene where it goes all "circus" - sounds like I'd wandered into a Charles Band movie.

I do wonder why the reconstruction of the original score wasn't used.

The Kalat commentary is good fun, though he does err in claiming the copy of the original script was donated by the widow of Hermann Warm (it was in fact the widow of Werner Krauss).

The documentary is a bit dis-orientated - too much focusing on WWI and not enough on the film itself. Seems to have been influenced by too much Siegfied Kracuer.

There is a little video extra that is quite funny.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:55 am 

5 Stars in Image Quality at blu-ray.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:09 pm 

This should be arriving at my doorstep by Saturday. I am so excited to see the image on my TV. The detail on the caps look awesome. It's such a joy to see films that are nearly 100 years old look so modern and brilliant.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:49 am 

Orlac wrote:
Picture quality is great.

The documentary is a bit dis-orientated - too much focusing on WWI and not enough on the film itself. Seems to have been influenced by too much Siegfied Kracuer.

Or maybe by Anton Kaes's Shellshock Cinema?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:08 am 

FrauBlucher wrote:
This should be arriving at my doorstep by Saturday. I am so excited to see the image on my TV. The detail on the caps look awesome. It's such a joy to see films that are nearly 100 years old look so modern and brilliant.

This was waiting for me when I got home. I watched it last night. It's a sight to behold. Just a gorgeous job by all involved. It still shocks me that they had the original camera negative to work with for most of the film.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:53 am 

I watched this through my projector. Yes, it is a sight to behold, but there's one nagging problem. On a regular basis there is a series of black dots which cross the screen horizontally. I recall those dots being there in the old DVD version (they are obviously print damage). They are diminished on the MoC BRD, but they are still visible. I can't believe the restorers didn't remove them - most of the dots are on a solid background (eg. all white or an expanse of wall, etc), and could easily have been removed. Otherwise the picture quality is near perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:56 am 
Dot Com Dom

Finally got around to this, and I agree, it's a breathtakingly good transfer. Kalat's commentary was top notch, as usual, though I must admit I was a little put off by how fervently he argued for dismissing the "real" nature of the frame story through some selective observations (though he tempers this with a humorous button at the end of his spiel). I'm not sure the "answer" is as cut and dry as Kalat makes it out to be here. Otherwise, though, Kalat weaves a welcome historical narrative with his usual good humor shining through, and overall it's another exemplary package from MoC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:02 pm 

Limited Edition Blu-ray Steelbook (of 2000 copies) for this due on January 16th, which will include a bonus disc of Rüdiger Suchsland's documentary From Caligari to Hitler: German Cinema in the Age of the Masses.

NB: No pre-order links yet due to 'technical issues' at Amazon UK.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:51 am 

I think Arrow's January releases are still not on Amazon.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:49 am 

This one's particularly for Tomasso. The new Potemkine Caligari includes a score by In the Nursery.
Also their Blu Dreyer box has a Blu Vampyr with commentary by amongst others Desplechin and Assayas. No mention of score though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:01 am 

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:
Also their Blu Dreyer box has a Blu Vampyr with commentary by amongst others Desplechin and Assayas. No mention of score though.

Surely Vampyr's own score, by Wolfgang Zeller?