128 / BD 53 La città delle donne

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
Jeff

#1 Post by Jeff » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:18 pm

La città delle donne

Image Image

Federico Fellini's epic 1980 fantasia introduced the start of the Maestro's delirious late period. A surrealist tour-de-force filmed on soundstages and locations alike, and overflowing with the same sensory (and sensual) invention heretofore found only in the classic movie-musicals (and Fellini's own oeuvre), La città delle donne [City of Women] taps into the era's restless youth-culture, coalescing into nothing less than Fellini's post-punk opus.

Marcello Mastroianni appears as Fellini's alter ego in a semi-reprise of his character from 8-1/2, Snàporaz. As though passing into a dream, the charismatic avatar finds himself initiated into a phantasmagoric world where women — or an idea of women — have taken power, and which is structured like an array of psychosexual set-pieces — culminating in a bravura hot-air balloon that decisively sticks the "anti" up into "climax".

A great adventure "through the looking-glass," as it were, of Fellini's own phallic lens and life-long libidinal ruminations, La città delle donne sharply divided critics at the 1980 Festival de Cannes, some of whom had merely anticipated a nostalgic retread of the earlier Mastroianni works. What they were greeted with, and what remains today, is, in the words of Serge Daney, "a victory of cinema". The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present La città delle donne on Blu-ray and DVD in Gaumont's glorious new HD restoration.

SPECIAL FEATURES

• Glorious new HD restoration of the film, presented in 1080p on the Blu-ray.
• Newly translated optional subtitles.
A Dream of Women, a 31-minute documentary on the making of the film.
Notes on CITY OF WOMEN, a 61-minute documentary about Fellini’s film.
Dante Ferretti: A Builder of Dreams, a 22-minute documentary about the great production designer behind the film.
• A 12-minute video piece with filmmaker Tinto Brass discussing the picture.
• The original Italian and French theatrical trailers.
• Substantial booklet containing writing on the film, vintage excerpts, and rare archival imagery.

TMDaines

Re: BD 53 La città delle donne

#2 Post by TMDaines » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:35 am

Safe to say that I'll be holding onto my French Blu-ray for now. Still plenty of time to announce extras, however.

eerik

#3 Post by eerik » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:45 am

This and La poison will be "loaded with extras" according to Eureka's tweets.

Blu-ray.com lists these special features for the French Gaumont Blu-ray:
  • Reve de femmes - a new documentary film featuring producer Renzo Rossellini, film historian Aldo Tassone, producer and film historian Carlo Lizzani, and Federico Fellini's assistant Dominique Delouche (1955-1960). In French, not subtitled. (31 min, 1080p).
  • Dante Ferretti: un batisseur de reves - production designer Dante Ferretti discusses his collaboration with Federico Fellini and work on City of Women. In Italian, with optional French subtitles. (22 min, 1080p).
  • Femmes, femmes... - legendary Italian director Tinto Brass discusses Federico Fellini's legacy and his obsession with women. In French, not subtitled. (12 min, 1080p).
  • Notes sur la cite des femmes - a long documentary film about the production history of City of Women. The documentary film contains an enormous amount of archival and behind the scenes footage. In Italian, with optional French subtitles. (61 min, 1080p).
  • Bande-annonce - the original French theatrical trailer for City of Women. Without subtitles. (2 min, 1080p).
  • Bande-annonce - Italian theatrical trailer for City of Women. Without subtitles. (4 min, 1080p).
Last edited by eerik on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#4 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:47 am

TMDaines wrote:Safe to say that I'll be holding onto my French Blu-ray for now. Still plenty of time to announce extras, however.
They're gonna have to go some to top the Gaumont extras of over 2 hours but even if they port them over with english subs it'll be a weighty package.
"Rêve de femmes" (30') : Documentaire avec les témoignages de Renzo Rossellini, Carlo Lizzani, Dominique Delouche et Aldo Tassone
"Dante Ferretti : un bâtisseur de rêves" (21') : Entretien avec le chef-décorateur de Fellini
"Femmes, femmes..." (11') : Entretien avec Tinto Brass
"Notes sur La cité des femmes" (58') : Reportage sur le tournage du film, réalisé par Ferruccio Castronovo (IT st FR)
Bandes-annonces française et italienne

TMDaines

#5 Post by TMDaines » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:52 am

That's what I'm hoping for!

TMDaines

Re: 128 / BD 53 La città delle donne

#6 Post by TMDaines » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:22 pm

MoC did a stealth update of the release's webpage:
MoC Website wrote:SPECIAL BLU-RAY AND DVD EDITIONS

• Glorious new HD restoration of the film, presented in 1080p on the Blu-ray.
• Newly translated optional subtitles.
• A Dream of Women, a 31-minute documentary on the making of the film.
• Notes on CITY OF WOMEN, a 61-minute documentary about Fellini’s film.
• Dante Ferretti: A Builder of Dreams, a 22-minute documentary about the great production designer behind the film.
• A 12-minute video piece with filmmaker Tinto Brass discussing the picture.
• The original Italian and French theatrical trailers.
• Substantial booklet containing writing on the film, vintage excerpts, and rare archival imagery.
So that betters the Gaumont by giving us English subtitles on all the extras plus a "substantial booklet". I'll be happy to sell mine off in that case.

Bravo!

RossyG

#7 Post by RossyG » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:12 am

Fabulous! Will MoC be able to match or even top their excellent 2012 releases in 2013? They're certainly on the right track.

Gregor Samsa

#8 Post by Gregor Samsa » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:37 pm

Gregor Samsa

#9 Post by Gregor Samsa » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:18 pm

A great review from CineOutsider.

stagefright50

#10 Post by stagefright50 » Tue May 28, 2013 11:36 pm

I'm curious to know what the forum users' opinions were of the transfer on the blu-ray disc. Separate (mostly positive) reviews mention DNR, banding, contrast, and brightness issues but never all in the same review. I think all these issues are pretty prevalent throughout, making it one of the most disappointing-looking MoC discs.

Edit: Wondering also if Gaumont used the same tools/company for this restoration that did Children of Paradise which seems to have led to similar issues on their and Criterion's blu-ray of that movie.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#11 Post by tenia » Wed May 29, 2013 1:31 am

stagefright50 wrote:I'm curious to know what the forum users' opinions were of the transfer on the blu-ray disc. Separate (mostly positive) reviews mention DNR, banding, contrast, and brightness issues but never all in the same review. I think all these issues are pretty prevalent throughout, making it one of the most disappointing-looking MoC discs.
I have the French Gaumont disc, which seems to look identical to the MoC one, and to be honest, I found it to be imperfect but quite good.
Assuming they are indeed the same, encodings for Vengeance is Mine, Rumble Fist or Floating Weeds would be, IMO, far worse than this one.
stagefright50 wrote:Edit: Wondering also if Gaumont used the same tools/company for this restoration that did Children of Paradise which seems to have led to similar issues on their and Criterion's blu-ray of that movie.
I would guess not. Gaumont always use Eclair for their restorations (which should now be the only surviving lab in France which can do this job), whereas Les enfants du Paradis was restored by L'immagine ritrovata for Pathé.

Fun fact : L'immagine ritrovata is also responsible for the new Le guépard 4K restoration, which is quite the opposite of the Les enfants' one in terms of quality.

rohmerin

#12 Post by rohmerin » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:56 am

Do you people really like this film? I've only seen once and I thought it was the only really unbearable film Fellini made. Dreadful.

MichaelB

#13 Post by MichaelB » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:30 pm

I think it's comfortably the most interesting film that he made in the 1980s, not least because of its manifest (but brutally honest) personal insecurities. And I liked it a lot more the second time round (there being approximately twenty years between viewings).

Dylan

#14 Post by Dylan » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:52 pm

Fellini is my favorite director and I like or love every film of his from Variety Lights until Orchestra Rehearsal, and City of Women is where I feel his films started to lose their focus. I've seen City of Women a couple times and - while imaginative no doubt - its always felt like a rough cut to me: it's way too long, most of it lacking Fellini's inimitable pacing and energy, and without Nino Rota he seems lost on how to direct a composer (even though Luis Bacalov - still alive today and more well-known than ever for Django - is a wonderful composer). Fellini seemed to have kind of given up on this film somewhere into pre-production, around the time Nino Rota died and Dustin Hoffman backed out of playing the lead (his reasoning being that he didn't enjoy the Italian post-synching process when he acted in Alfredo, Alfredo and wouldn't do it again here - he later regretted it), and even though this has Mastroianni, an amazing strange cast, and big sets, it never really comes together. Another problem is that one of the actors, Ettore Manni, died without finishing his scenes. So without Rota and Hoffman, with Manni dying, at some point I contend that Fellini just put as much work into it as he was able to stand and without really polishing it in post he made a final cut as soon as possible to get out of dodge. I could be wrong. This is to say nothing of the fact that the film is basically a 2+ hour version of the marvelous 8 1/2 harem scene. It has been something like nine years since I've watched it, so I'm curious if my opinion would change if I watched it again on this new BD, but for now I consider it minor at best. It's way better than every Fellini film that followed it, though.

ex-cowboy

#15 Post by ex-cowboy » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:52 am

Talking of post City of Women Fellini, I really like And the Ship Sails On. In fact it's probably my favourite Fellini.

rohmerin

#16 Post by rohmerin » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:35 am

I agree, E la nave va is beautiful and his best film in the 80's, but my fav. are Cabiria and 8 1/2.

ex-cowboy

#17 Post by ex-cowboy » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:06 pm

Not to distract too much from the main thread, but it's odd actually, I'm keen on seeing almost all Fellini apart from Cabiria, The White Sheik and La Strada, not sure why exactly, just never appealed. I've always found myself drawn more to Satyricon and post-Satyricon Fellini, although Cassanova is not a particularly good film and I don't find most Fellini's bowl me over, but he's certainly a filmmaker I'm sticking with and always keen to see more of. I'll definitely endeavour to see Cabiria now.

R0lf

#18 Post by R0lf » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:28 am

I *do* really like the film though it is wildly uneven.

I think the film finds that ''inimitable pacing and energy'' from the teenage girls in cars scene and remains excellent through the compound section until Mastroianni takes the slide from behind the bed.

The movie also has sentimental value in that a saw it a decade ago while I was unemployed and the bridge of the movie really sparked that belief in me that life is good and worth celebrating.

Dylan

#19 Post by Dylan » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:09 am

I'm keen on seeing almost all Fellini apart from Cabiria, The White Sheik and La Strada, not sure why exactly, just never appealed
Maybe because they don't have elements of surrealism or seem (from what literature on them you've encountered?) too comic or neo-realist? But in case they're ever in front of you: each one of those is filled from top to bottom and boiling over with the "Felliniesque," and I can't imagine a fan not at the very least finding them worthwhile (they also have wonderful - if more traditional, Old Hollywood style - Nino Rota scores, and amazing Giulietta Masina performances).
I think the film finds that ''inimitable pacing and energy'' from the teenage girls in cars scene and remains excellent through the compound section until Mastroianni takes the slide from behind the bed.
Yes, this is the section of the film that I think really works (the slide scene is a lot fun).

Cold Bishop

#20 Post by Cold Bishop » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:23 am

Interestingly enough, while I'm also a bigger fan of Fellini's so-called "self indulgent" period than his "neo-realism", my favorite '50s film is the probably the least carnivalesque of them all: I, Vitelloni which I think is shoulders above its more acclaimed peers. As well as its spiritual sequel Amarcord, which, despite being in that sweetspot, I'm kind of ho-hum on.

With that said, I don't know why you would have an interest in Fellini and not want to see those earlier films. I could understand wanting to see them less, but as far as tracking down a director's whole filmography, Fellini has one of the most painlessly consistent bodies of work I can think of.

Dylan

#21 Post by Dylan » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:57 pm

Interestingly enough, while I'm also a bigger fan of Fellini's so-called "self indulgent" period than his "neo-realism", my favorite '50s film is the probably the least carnivalesque of them all: I, Vitelloni which I think is shoulders above its more acclaimed peers.
A lot of people who don't go for Fellini past Nights of Cabiria or La Dolce Vita single this one out at their favorite. I think it's a great film, but being his straightest dramatic narrative (and least "Felliniesque" film, even though we have the party, seashore, small town) I personally don't find it as interesting as almost everything that followed for the next 20 years. This is the same reason a lot of people favor it, though (Peter Bogdanovich being one of those people).
With that said, I don't know why you would have an interest in Fellini and not want to see those earlier films. I could understand wanting to see them less, but as far as tracking down a director's whole filmography, Fellini has one of the most painlessly consistent bodies of work I can think of.
I think Fellini had four very distinctive periods: 1950-1957, 1960-1967 [my favorite], 1969-1978, and 1980-1989. The look and tone of all of these periods is pretty different even though it's always clear who the director is (well, until Ginger and Fred and Intervista, which look like anybody could've done them). There are a lot of people who won't even go past that first '50s period so I can imagine somebody avoiding it too.