115-116 / BD 38-39 RoGoPaG & Oedipus Rex

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

115-116 / BD 38-39 RoGoPaG & Oedipus Rex

#1 Post by swo17 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:58 am

Let's Wash Our Brains: RoGoPaG

Image Image

Conceived by the Italian producer Alfredo Bini, the multi-director portmanteau film Let’s Wash Our Brains: RoGoPaG [Laviamoci il cervello: RoGoPaG] brought together four esteemed European directors to contribute comic episodes reflective of the swinging post-“boom” era. The resulting omnibus collectively examines social anxieties around sex, nuclear war, religion, urbanisation – and the promise of a modern cinema.

Roberto Rossellini’s Illibatezza [Virginity] follows an airline stewardess plagued by an obsessed American tourist whose 8mm camera enables the indulgence of a personal, and solipsistic, vision of the Ideal. Jean-Luc Godard’s Il nuovo mondo [The New World] takes place in an Italian-dubbed Paris beset by nuclear fallout, and wittily chronicles the changes that take place in the lives – and medicine cabinet – of a handsome young couple. Pier Paolo Pasolini’s scandalous La ricotta [Ricotta, as in the curded cheese] presents the goings-on around a film shoot devoted to the Crucifixion and presided over by none other than Orson Welles (playing a kind of stand-in for Pasolini himself); it is this episode that landed Pasolini with a suspended four-month prison sentence. Lastly, Ugo Gregoretti’s Il pollo ruspante [Free-Range Chicken] depicts a middle-class Milanese family flirting with the purchase of real-estate and engaging catastrophically with an antagonistic consumerist infrastructure.

Let’s Wash Our Brains: RoGoPaG remains one of the definitive entries of the Sixties vogue for the multi-auteur anthology film, and The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present it for the very first time on Blu-ray, in a Dual Format (Blu-ray + DVD) edition.

SPECIAL FEATURES:

• Gorgeous new HD restoration of the film in its original aspect ratio, in 1080p on the Blu-ray
• Newly translated optional English subtitles
• Original Italian theatrical trailer
• 56-PAGE BOOKLET featuring new essays by Tag Gallagher, Arthur Mas, Martial Pisani, and Pasquale Iannone; a new translation by Tag Gallagher of excerpts from an oral history about the film; and rare archival imagery

Oedipus Rex

Image Image

Three years after The Gospel According to Matthew, Pier Paolo Pasolini resumed his series of classical adaptations with a savage, highly personal take on Sophocles’ ancient Greek tragedy Oedipus Rex [Edipo Re]. As his first colour feature, Oedipus Rex makes brilliant use of wildly alternating Moroccan landscapes to transpose collective myth into a particular vision that is at once tender, sensual, and wholly unsparing.

The film is divided into three sections set in different eras. The opening takes place in 1920s Italy, and recounts a birth that echoes that of the director himself, the product of a beautiful bourgeoise’s affair with a military officer. The mid section depicts a time “outside of history” – it is here that the myth of Oedipus (portrayed by Franco Citti of Accattone and Coppola’s The Godfather), one of patricide and incest, plays out opposite the young man’s mother/lover (Silvana Mangano). An epilogue shot on the streets of present-day Bologna finds Oedipus playing his flute for a bustling citizenry.

With its kinetic handheld camerawork and strikingly primeval costumes, Pasolini’s film rattles its art-genre framework in the enduring quest to exorcise repressive emotional forces. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present Pier Paolo Pasolini’s Oedipus Rex for the very first time on Blu-ray, in a Dual Format (Blu-ray + DVD) edition.

SPECIAL FEATURES:

• Gorgeous new HD restoration of the film in its original aspect ratio, in 1080p on the Blu-ray
• Newly translated optional English subtitles
• Original Italian theatrical trailer
• 28-PAGE BOOKLET featuring vintage writing by Pasolini, excerpts from an interview with the director by Oswald Stack about the film, and rare archival imagery
Last edited by swo17 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RossyG

Re: BD 38-39 Let's Wash Our Brains: RoGoPaG and Oedipus Rex

#2 Post by RossyG » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:15 am

Great stuff. Put me down for both of those. Terrific covers, by the way.

TMDaines

Re: BD 38-39 Let's Wash Our Brains: RoGoPaG and Oedipus Rex

#3 Post by TMDaines » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:36 am

I'll be buying all four of these but I hope we get some sort of extras on these Pasolinis. I don't wish to label releases with a booklet as barebones but there's many documentaries on Pasolini out there and a few documentary works from Pasolini himself, which would make lovely extras.

TMDaines

Re: 115-116 / BD 38-39 RoGoPaG & Oedipus Rex

#4 Post by TMDaines » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:26 pm

Are the specs finalised for these? The first two Pasolinis were such great stacked releases - release of the year quality. It's such a shame if the next four would be barebones, especially with all the Pasolini material out there.

andyli

#5 Post by andyli » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:57 pm

TMDaines

#6 Post by TMDaines » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:28 am

Well, I guess it's official that this is another Pasolini without any notable on disk extras.

MichaelB

#7 Post by MichaelB » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:41 am

My Sight & Sound review was in print before that review appeared.

Peacock

#8 Post by Peacock » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:20 am

Looks like a stunning transfer, good work guys.

med

#9 Post by med » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:57 am

TMDaines wrote:Well, I guess it's official that this is another Pasolini without any notable on disk extras.
People really need to drop the notion that a loaded booklet isn't a suitable extra. (And yes, I noticed you wrote "on disk.")

bigP

#10 Post by bigP » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:18 am

med wrote:
TMDaines wrote:Well, I guess it's official that this is another Pasolini without any notable on disk extras.
People really need to drop the notion that a loaded booklet isn't a suitable extra. (And yes, I noticed you wrote "on disk.")
Also, and I know it's stating the obvious, but this isn't just a Pasolini release. It would be equally likely that this release would be bought by fans of Rossellini, Godard or Gregoretti who may not care all that much - if at all - for Pasolini, so placing Pasolini specific extras on the disc over and above any of the other directors would be fairly redundant in this case - especially if their previous two Pasolini-specific releases had no on-disc extras. And I'd be surprised if there was any Ro.Go.Pa.G usable extra that wasn't text-based they could have included.

knives

#11 Post by knives » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:51 am

bigP wrote:And I'd be surprised if there was any Ro.Go.Pa.G usable extra that wasn't text-based they could have included.
Other short films from the directors?

bigP

#12 Post by bigP » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:21 pm

knives wrote:
bigP wrote:And I'd be surprised if there was any Ro.Go.Pa.G usable extra that wasn't text-based they could have included.
Other short films from the directors?
That's true. I guess I was thinking around extras specific to the film itself, but short films could have been an option.

andyli

#13 Post by andyli » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:46 pm

MichaelB wrote:My Sight & Sound review was in print before that review appeared.
Sorry. I meant to say the first time I see its screengrabs and so forth.

manicsounds

#14 Post by manicsounds » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:41 pm

DVDBeaver on Oedipus Rex and RoGoPaG

antnield

#15 Post by antnield » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:00 pm

Graeme Hobbs' latest MovieMail podcast takes a look at Ro.Go.Pa.G.