BD 31 Accattone

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

BD 31 Accattone

#1 Post by swo17 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:41 am

Accattone

The debut feature of Italian filmmaker-novelist-poet-provocateur Pier Paolo Pasolini (Salò, or: The 120 Days of Sodom; The Gospel According to Matthew; The Decameron), Accattone rocked the cinema world with its depictions, at once raw and elegant, of the underside of Roman street life – and, in the process, seemed to announce a new direction for Italian films: a neo-neorealism.

On the mean streets of Rome, Accattone's eponymous pimp (played by Franco Citti, one of a remarkable cast of local non-professionals) leads a hand-to-mouth existence on the very margins of society: prostituting, scrounging, exploiting. When his prize prostitute Maddalena is arrested and jailed, the pimp’s fortunes dwindle, and he is forced to confront his own existence.

The work of one of Italy’s foremost auteurs, Accattone combines a fascination with poverty, sexual mores, and the entrapments of society, with a sense of humanity and sanctity rarely seen in cinema. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present Pasolini’s debut alongside his feature-length 1965 documentary Comizi d’amore [Love Meetings] in a special Dual Format Blu-ray + DVD edition.

DUAL FORMAT RELEASE INCLUDING BLU-RAY AND DVD VERSIONS OF BOTH FILMS

• New high-definition transfer of Accattone in the film’s original aspect ratio
• Pasolini’s 1965 feature-length documentary Comizi d’amore [Love Meetings], on the complementary theme of Italian attitudes towards sex, presented in its original aspect ratio of 1.66:1
• Original Italian theatrical trailers for both films
• Feature-length audio commentary on Accattone by critic Tony Rayns
• Newly translated optional English subtitles for both films
• 36-page booklet featuring a translation of Pasolini’s 1958 poem “To a Pope”; excerpts from a 1969 interview with Pasolini on Accattone and Comizi d’amore by Oswald Stack; a 1975 essay on the film by Pasolini; Pasolini’s original 1964 treatment for Comizi d’amore; and rare archival imagery
Last edited by swo17 on Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hail_Cesar

Re: BD 31 Accattone

#2 Post by Hail_Cesar » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:58 pm

Oh my god I'm so ordering it as soon as possible! One of my favorite films from one of my favorite directors!

"Ancora non sei morto? Eppure m'hanno detto che il lavoro ammazza la gente!"

colinr0380

#3 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:44 pm

Wonderful! So with Accattone including Love Meetings and Ro.Go.Pa.G. being released separately, that means that first Tartan Pasolini boxset is now available again plus has been upgraded to Blu!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelB

#4 Post by MichaelB » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:36 am

colinr0380 wrote:Wonderful! So with Accattone including Love Meetings and Ro.Go.Pa.G. being released separately, that means that first Tartan Pasolini boxset is not available again plus has been upgraded to Blu!
Not quite - that box also included Pasolini's novel A Violent Life. But it's still available separately.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5 Post by domino harvey » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:01 am

Guess I missed my window of opportunity on unloading my Tartan bricks

charal

#6 Post by charal » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:24 pm

Are we to assume MOC also has the rights to HAWKS & SPARROWS, PORCILE & EDIPUS REX?
If so then more Pasolini BDs could be out before the middle of 2012.

AlexHansen

#7 Post by AlexHansen » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:00 pm

It could be a safe assumption.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#8 Post by swo17 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:59 pm

Woah, I'd missed that news before. Excellent!

antnield

#9 Post by antnield » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:10 pm

MoC Twitter wrote:We'll have a newly recorded commentary track by Tony Rayns on our forthcoming edition of Pasolini's ACCATTONE. Recorded last week!

matrixschmatrix

#10 Post by matrixschmatrix » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:12 pm

antnield wrote:newly recorded commentary
Wow, I feared I'd never see those words again. Tony Rayns, too! That bumps this release up from 'interested' to 'definite buy', for me.

evillights

#11 Post by evillights » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:32 am

Full release details for disc and booklet, now live at the MoC site.

TMDaines

#12 Post by TMDaines » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:38 am

It looks a mighty meaty dual feature package. Excellent value. It isn't highlighted so I'm presuming Comizi d’amore isn't in 1080p? Hope I'm wrong!

I just Accattone last night in preparation for lectures and seminars this week. Pity this wasn't available already!

eerik

#13 Post by eerik » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:40 pm

MichaelB

#14 Post by MichaelB » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:06 pm

TMDaines wrote:It looks a mighty meaty dual feature package. Excellent value. It isn't highlighted so I'm presuming Comizi d’amore isn't in 1080p? Hope I'm wrong!
Well, it's certainly presented in 1080p, but the picture is nowhere near as well-defined as Accattone's.

This might be down to the original materials, but it could equally be an upscale: the subtitles are razor-sharp, but everything else (including the burned-in subtitles on the original print) could well be from an SD source in terms of the level of resolution on offer.

Still, hardly a deal-breaker - and the clarity of the subtitles makes this version a clear advance on the old Tartan edition, especially given the amount of spoken content.

Tommaso

#15 Post by Tommaso » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:29 pm

Wow, if those caps from the blu are any indication, "Accatone" looks as stunning as never before. I've seen several other editions of this film, and none of them even only came close to the greyscale here. What a beauty!

peerpee
not perpee

#16 Post by peerpee » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:59 pm

MichaelB wrote:Well, it's certainly presented in 1080p, but the picture is nowhere near as well-defined as Accattone's.

This might be down to the original materials, but it could equally be an upscale: the subtitles are razor-sharp, but everything else (including the burned-in subtitles on the original print) could well be from an SD source in terms of the level of resolution on offer.

Still, hardly a deal-breaker - and the clarity of the subtitles makes this version a clear advance on the old Tartan edition, especially given the amount of spoken content.
COMIZI was shot on 16mm and blown up to 35mm. It's never going to look as well-defined as ACCATTONE.

The old Tartan DVD of COMIZI was cropped to 1.78:1. We've rendered it at 1.66 OAR.

TMDaines

#17 Post by TMDaines » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:20 pm

Beaver

The screencaps look fucking amazing. "Fucking" being truly justified in this instance.

zedz

#18 Post by zedz » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:10 pm

Looks like you're right. And even little old 16mm Comizi d'Amore looks very nice indeed.

knives

#19 Post by knives » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:44 am

TMDaines wrote: "Fucking" being truly justified in this instance.
I don't see one of Tooze's patented beaver shots though.

ellipsis7

#20 Post by ellipsis7 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:45 pm

Have this playing on the deck... Lovely work, MoC!....

Tommaso

#21 Post by Tommaso » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:23 pm

Have just spent the second evening in a row re-watching "Accatone", this time with the Rayns commentary. Very good track indeed; Rayns has a lot of interesting things to say about Pasolini's career in general and provides some fine insights into the way particular scenes were filmed and cut, and about the 'musical' structure of the film's form in general. There are a few points on which I can't agree, however. For instance he points out that the "Trilogia della vita" was a reaction on Pasolini's part against the arthouse success of the three preceding films, a conscious attempt to break free from being pigeonholed. Hmmm.... while it's true that these films reached a far wider audience, they nevertheless seem to me a logical consequence of Paso's (romantic) idealisation of an archaic way of living that follow straight from his documentaries on India and Africa (which Rayns doesn't take into account at all) and also "Medea" and the short film on Sana'a. A continuation of his thinking in my view, not a break caused by such secondary factors as the reaction to "Teorema" or "Porcile".

I similarly don't share his view on the late essay collections "Lutheran letters" and "Pirate Writings" (or whatever they're called in English) which he finds lose their impact today because they need too much explanation and annotation for a contemporary audience because the subjects of these essays (often other writers of the time) are not well known anymore, at least outside Italy. This is true, but these texts are much more about Pasolini himself than about anything else, and for me they still provide fascinating reading; they're really at the heart of what the man thought and stood for, with all his contradictions.

But these are minor points of disagreement, as Rayns in his usual calm manner gives a very fine introduction to Pasolini and to "Accatone", points out the references to other films (especially Dreyer's "Jeanne d'Arc") without forcing an interpretation on the viewer (personally, I see the film much more imbued by 'spiritual' ideas than he seems to do), which is probably a very good way to let the viewer come to his or her own conclusions. A great, perhaps indispensable addition to what would have been a very fine package even without it.

And lest I forget: GREAT transfer, even on SD (which is really surprising considering the 210 minutes of material crammed on the disc). The third time I purchased the film on DVD, and the first time that someone really did justice to it. Fantastic work, MoC!

RobertB

#22 Post by RobertB » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:01 pm

:D This is soo good! Watched it tonight, and its only the second time I see Accettone. I probably loved it even more this time. It's an almost a religius experience for me. Like Dreyer and Antonioni combined. Tank you peerpee and all at MoC! A great disc with a great film. After I had watched it I had to start again and watch 15 minutes of it with Rayns' commentry. He always sounds like such a nice person. :)

Next up: The Gospel According to Matthew \:D/