BD 23 Silent Running

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
Jonathan S

Re: BD 23 Silent Running

#101 Post by Jonathan S » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:50 am

exidor wrote:
Calvin wrote:The problem that Amazon would have with cancelling pre-orders is that, thanks to their price guarantee, everyone that ordered prior to the price drop will have had their orders drop in price as well.
That doesn't seem to be how it works. I checked my preorder when news of the misprice emerged and it was still £12.97 or whatever it was when I ordered. I think the price guarantee only applies if the price is lower on the day of release - ie when the money leaves your account.
I'm pretty sure it's the lowest price anytime between ordering and day of release. They charge you the price when you ordered but then refund the difference after shipping. At least, that's how Amazon.com did it recently with me:
Amazon wrote:The price of the item(s) decreased after you ordered them, and we gave you the lowest price.
Price on order date: $41.99
Price charged at shipping: $41.99
Lowest price before release date: $35.99
Amount to be refunded: $6.00

manicsounds

#102 Post by manicsounds » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:10 am

eerik wrote:
manicsounds wrote:Blu-ray.com review of the disc

So the bonus materials are in PAL? So I presume the DVD is also in PAL?
DVD?
My bad, just assumed this was dual format...

godardslave

#103 Post by godardslave » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:53 pm

manicsounds wrote:
eerik wrote:
manicsounds wrote:Blu-ray.com review of the disc

So the bonus materials are in PAL? So I presume the DVD is also in PAL?
DVD?
My bad, just assumed this was dual format...

Does anyone know if all future BD releases from MOC are going to be dual format?

matrixschmatrix

#104 Post by matrixschmatrix » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:58 pm

As I understand it, the default is dual format, but for some of the Universal releases blu-only was specified as part of the deal.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#105 Post by swo17 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:39 pm

I got the impression it might have something to do with whether there is already a decent DVD edition of the film out in the UK.

What A Disgrace

#106 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:23 pm

swo17 wrote:I got the impression it might have something to do with whether there is already a decent DVD edition of the film out in the UK.
So I guess this means Citizen Kane will be Blu-ray only? [-o<

ccfixx

#107 Post by ccfixx » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:31 pm

naersjoen

#108 Post by naersjoen » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:36 am

peerpee wrote:Will be interesting to see what Amazon do. It's their fault and they'll have to suffer it if they honour the price.
Silent Running orders that were placed for the incorrect price have now been cancelled by Amazon it seems. Just received the following:
Amazon wrote: -----Original Message-----
Sent: 28 October 2011 13:31
Subject: Important Information regarding Your Amazon.co.uk Order

Dear Customer

We are writing to inform you that the price for the item

Silent Running (1971) (Masters of Cinema) [Blu-ray] - Asin: B005DE1G2Y

was displayed incorrectly at the time you placed the above referenced order.

Despite our best efforts, with the millions of items available on our website, pricing errors can occasionally occur.

In our Pricing and Availability Policy (see http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/custome ... Id=1040614" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), we state that where an item's correct price is higher than our stated price, we contact the customer before dispatching.

All affected orders have now been cancelled. If you still wish to purchase this item, please place a new order online as from tomorrow, which will be charged at the correct price, when we dispatch it to you.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by this error, and rest assured that we will continue to make every effort to maintain the accuracy of all prices on our site.

We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Warmest regards,

Customer Service Department
Amazon.co.uk

Please note: This e-mail was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#109 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:19 am

I really thought we were in the clear. Fiddlesticks.

CSM126

#110 Post by CSM126 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:35 am

They really should have honored their mistake for the orders placed (I say this as a retail manager who would do the same thing for my customers. My mistake isn't their fault, after all), but I re-ordered anyway (13 pounds/21 usd still isn't bad, after all). I do think I'll order direct from Eureka whenever I can in the future, though.

eerik

#111 Post by eerik » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:52 am

Calvin

#112 Post by Calvin » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:27 pm

Douglas Trumbull was talking to Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo earlier today and there was some discussion of the Blu-Ray. Download here and the interview with Trumbull starts around the 50min mark.

HJackson

#113 Post by HJackson » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:33 pm

I'm looking forward to taking in this title once I'm back home and have access to my Blu-ray player, but words cannot express how much I detest Mark Kermode.

J Wilson

#114 Post by J Wilson » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:52 am

Well, not everyone's orders at the mis-price got cancelled. I just received a shipping notice with the following:
  • 1 Silent Running (1971) (Mas... £3.33 1 £3.33

Dispatched via Royal Mail (estimated arrival date: December 05, 2011).

Item Subtotal: £3.33
    Delivery and handling: £2.04
    Pre-order Guarantee: £0.00

Total: £5.37
Strange thing is, I don't remember ordering it at the misprice, but I guess I did.

bigP

#115 Post by bigP » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:38 pm

Congrats, good to see someone made it through the Amazon mis-price.

I watched this today and want give a hearty appreciation to MOC for a sterling job. It really looks terrific and it's great hearing Douglas Trumball on the line with Kermode sounding so overjoyed at having recieved and watched the Blu-ray. I'm making my way through the extras today, but the Making of documentary was great and very informative, particularly in regard to the Drones and the actors working inside, but also it was great hearing Trumball talk about his designs and particuarly how he wanted his audience to react to them.

Certainly image-wise, the Blu is by a long stretch the best I have seen the film, the audio was also excellent (Joan Baez didn't even bother me for the first time) and the steel packaging really looks great. Very happy with this, thanks.

zeroism

#116 Post by zeroism » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:55 pm

J Wilson wrote:Strange thing is, I don't remember ordering it at the misprice, but I guess I did.
The same happened with mine. I ordered before the misprice, at the time of which I noticed that the price on my order had lowered, I assume due to the preorder price guarantee. I guess we got lucky!

antnield

#117 Post by antnield » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:16 am

zedz

#118 Post by zedz » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:39 pm

zeroism wrote:
J Wilson wrote:Strange thing is, I don't remember ordering it at the misprice, but I guess I did.
The same happened with mine. I ordered before the misprice, at the time of which I noticed that the price on my order had lowered, I assume due to the preorder price guarantee. I guess we got lucky!
Well, if it really is working that way, I have to applaud Amazon for a witty and poetic response to the mistake (though in truth it's probably completely inadvertent): all the people who jumped on the misprice to take advantage of it lost out, but the ones who'd already ordered at full(-ish) price get the unexpected reward of the preorder price guarantee. At least, I hope it's working that way!

stevewhamola

#119 Post by stevewhamola » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:46 pm

I too pre-ordered before the misprice and got it for the lower price, although as soon as I got wind of the news I cancelled it and reordered just to make sure I got the lower price.

J Wilson

#120 Post by J Wilson » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:34 am

zedz wrote:
zeroism wrote:
Well, if it really is working that way, I have to applaud Amazon for a witty and poetic response to the mistake (though in truth it's probably completely inadvertent): all the people who jumped on the misprice to take advantage of it lost out, but the ones who'd already ordered at full(-ish) price get the unexpected reward of the preorder price guarantee. At least, I hope it's working that way!
Heh, yeah, that appears to be what happened. Interestingly though, they list the lowest pre-order price as 12.93, so who knows? I'm not arguing. In my "you saved this much" email:

Silent Running (1971) (Masters of Cinema) [Blu-ray]
Price on order date: £13.99
Price charged at dispatch: £3.99
Lowest price up to and including release date: £12.93
Quantity: 1
Total Savings: £10.00

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#121 Post by tenia » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:38 pm

Silent Running BD in normal packaging is already OOP on MoC newsletter. :shock:
And it is only released since yesterday (officially).

Has MoC a bit underestimated the sales potential here ?

knives

#122 Post by knives » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:50 pm

You should never underestimate the lovability of Bruce Dern.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#123 Post by domino harvey » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:12 pm

Wait, seriously, it's OOP already?

TMDaines

#124 Post by TMDaines » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:19 pm

Maybe Amazon ordered a load more copies before they noticed that the number of orders was only because of the misprice? Just a guess.

perkizitore

#125 Post by perkizitore » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:29 pm

I can imagine the steelbook going OOP, but this must be OOS and not OOP.