102 / BD 10 Profound Desires of the Gods

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by Eureka/Masters of Cinema and the films on them. If it's got a spine number, it's in here.
Forum rules
Please do not clutter up the threads for MoC titles with information on pre-orders. You can announce the availability of pre-orders in the MoC: Cheapest Prices / Best Places to Buy / Pre-Orders thread. Any posts on pre-orders in any other thread will be deleted.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
zedz
Posts: 10344
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:24 pm

Re: BD 10 Profound Desires of the Gods

#101 Post by zedz » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:57 pm

Check out the other sixties masterpieces starting with Pigs and Battleships, either in their Criterion or MoC guises. After that, I'd say the next best match for Profound Desire is The Ballad of Narayama, coming soon from MoC, already available in R1.

The very early features are tentative and constrained by studio requirements, but after that he didn't really make a bad film (and even those early ones are interesting in the context of his whole career) - you'll probably want to work your way through all of them eventually.

User avatar
John Edmond
Posts: 390
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:35 pm

Re: BD 10 Profound Desires of the Gods

#102 Post by John Edmond » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:03 pm

Tommaso wrote: This was my first Imamura, I have to confess, but it surely made me interested in seeing more from the director. Which film should I try next, then, if I liked this one?
Pigs and Battleships is the usual Imamura starting point and I see no reason to contradict that. Just as thoughtful scope work, and that same sense of cascading vulgarity.

edit: What Zedz said.

User avatar
Michael Kerpan
Posts: 7349
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:20 pm
Location: New England
Contact:

Re: BD 10 Profound Desires of the Gods

#103 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:34 pm

I started with Eel, and then saw Vengeance Is Mine, Dr. Akagi, The Pornographers and Eejanaika. (I simply saw what was available -- as it came available in subbed form). Back around 2002 or so, the only way to see Pigs and Battleship (and other Imamura films) was courtesy of unsubbed Japanese DVDs. So, I broke down and got Pigs and Battleships unsubbed -- and thought it was remarkable. Can't recall how I first saw Profound Desires, maybe unsubbed or maybe subbed in French (off a TV broadcast).

Flanell
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:16 am
Location: Gothenburg

Re: BD 10 Profound Desires of the Gods

#104 Post by Flanell » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:48 pm

I would like to elaborate a bit on my previous post. Like Kerpan, i started out seeing The Eel and then Vengeance is Mine. After that i saw basically anything i could get a hold of (Warm Water Under a Red Bridge, the early 60's films like Pigs, Intentions of Murder, The Insect Woman and The Pornographers). I have to conclude that they are all great films well worth watching. Having said that, i think that Ballad is the one closest in tone to Profound Desires of the Gods. It's shot in color by the same cinematographer and has that same rural, anthropological feel and it is my favorite Imamura as well!

User avatar
Tommaso
Posts: 4031
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 10:09 am

Re: BD 10 Profound Desires of the Gods

#105 Post by Tommaso » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:19 am

Thanks a lot for the recommendations, it seems I need to see everything from the man :wink: . I may continue with "Narayama", as I quite like the story in itself, but was not fully blown away by the Kinoshita version, so this might make for an interesting comparison.

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 12263
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:20 pm
Location: Worthing
Contact:

Re: BD 10 Profound Desires of the Gods

#106 Post by MichaelB » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:27 am

Tommaso wrote:Thanks a lot for the recommendations, it seems I need to see everything from the man. I may continue with "Narayama", as I quite like the story in itself, but was not fully blown away by the Kinoshita version, so this might make for an interesting comparison.
Despite obviously being based on the same source, it's very different - Imamura felt that the Kinoshita version was much too stylised, and consequently sidelined and/or omitted all the sociological, sexual and scatological detail that he thought was by far the most interesting aspect of the setting. So with his version you get those elements ramped up to the max.

User avatar
The Masked Marvel
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:47 am

Re: BD 10 Profound Desires of the Gods

#107 Post by The Masked Marvel » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:29 pm

I've attempted playing the Blu version of "Profound Desires of the Gods" in my newly-purchased all-region LG BD630, but I still get the "Fiddlesticks" message screen; this after successfully playing both "Repo Man" and "Two-Lane Blacktop."

Anybody have a similar issue? I'm at a loss for what's up with the disc/player. I'm glad to have picked up the dual format edition, but I'd still much prefer to watch it in Blu...

Alas. Looks like it's "The Ballad of Narayama" for me tonight. :wink:

zone_resident
Posts: 215
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:33 pm

Re: BD 10 Profound Desires of the Gods

#108 Post by zone_resident » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:30 pm

The Masked Marvel wrote:I've attempted playing the Blu version of "Profound Desires of the Gods" in my newly-purchased all-region LG BD630, but I still get the "Fiddlesticks" message screen; this after successfully playing both "Repo Man" and "Two-Lane Blacktop."

Anybody have a similar issue? I'm at a loss for what's up with the disc/player. I'm glad to have picked up the dual format edition, but I'd still much prefer to watch it in Blu...
I have exactly the same issue with LG BD630 and "Profound Desires of the Gods". I don't know the reason but it is annoying.

The player is able to play all other Region-B coded discs without a problem so far.. For instance, "Make Way for Tomorrow" (also from MoC dual-format edition), BFI Ozu discs, "Certified Copy" from Artificial Eye, etc. No problem for Region-A coded discs either.

Has anyone been able to play "Profound Desires of the Gods" on a multi-region BD player?

User avatar
swo17
Posts: 13558
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
Location: SLC, UT

Re: BD 10 Profound Desires of the Gods

#109 Post by swo17 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:34 pm

I have, on a Momitsu.

User avatar
med
Posts: 644
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:58 pm

Re: BD 10 Profound Desires of the Gods

#110 Post by med » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:37 pm

My Sherwood—which has been unusually cooperative, lately—plays it fine.

User avatar
zedz
Posts: 10344
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:24 pm

Re: BD 10 Profound Desires of the Gods

#111 Post by zedz » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:41 pm

Mine was fine on an Oppo. I've got the original disc, not the dual disc edition, but there should be no difference.

I (and a number of other people) had a similar issue with some of BFI's Ozu discs but was able to fix it with some bizarre machine voodoo and a copy of The Bed-Sitting Room. The details should be recorded for posterity in the Ozu thread.

User avatar
The Masked Marvel
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:47 am

Re: BD 10 Profound Desires of the Gods

#112 Post by The Masked Marvel » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:08 am

A follow up: after switching my machine back and forth between regions A and B a handful of times, "Profound Desires of the Gods" now works just fine.

Christ. What a great looking film - and Blu-ray to boot!

User avatar
puxzkkx
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:33 am

Re: BD 10 Profound Desires of the Gods

#113 Post by puxzkkx » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:08 pm

I had been wanting to see this for forever so I blind-bought the Blu last year without owning a player. Tried to see this yesterday but couldn't find a way to turn off TruMotion on my parents' TV. :(

Heading back home soon so guess will have to wait until I find someone else with a BluRay player!

evillights
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:47 pm
Location: U.S.
Contact:

Re: BD 10 Profound Desires of the Gods

#114 Post by evillights » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:53 pm

puxzkkx wrote:Tried to see this yesterday but couldn't find a way to turn off TruMotion
Really sorry to hear this. TruMotion / PureMotion / MotionFlow is an obscenity that never should have been invented, let alone instituted as the default setting on so many television models. It's the reason why we include the small note in our Notes on Viewing section of the booklets, just to spread awareness; one bristles at the thought of how many people are watching Blu-rays and DVDs in this mode (probably a lot, and it's not the viewers' fault — a film should simply play back as it's intended to be seen when the disc is inserted — at least in a perfect world, or a post-Apple-panel one). Hopefully this trend will pass in due time.

User avatar
AK
Posts: 158
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:06 am

Re: 102 / BD 10 Profound Desires of the Gods

#115 Post by AK » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:24 am

This is one of my favorite films that I wouldn't have been able to see without MoC. What a wonderful Blu-ray! A heartfelt thank you to Jon, Nick and Craig! Saw this for the first time last autumn, and I find myself continually returning to it.

I haven't yet seen neither The Insect Woman nor Pigs & Battleships, so I think I know what I'm getting next.

User avatar
FrauBlucher
Posts: 3002
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Greenwich Village

Re: BD 10 Profound Desires of the Gods

#116 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:29 am

zone_resident wrote:
The Masked Marvel wrote:I've attempted playing the Blu version of "Profound Desires of the Gods" in my newly-purchased all-region LG BD630, but I still get the "Fiddlesticks" message screen; this after successfully playing both "Repo Man" and "Two-Lane Blacktop."

Anybody have a similar issue? I'm at a loss for what's up with the disc/player. I'm glad to have picked up the dual format edition, but I'd still much prefer to watch it in Blu...
I have exactly the same issue with LG BD630 and "Profound Desires of the Gods". I don't know the reason but it is annoying.

The player is able to play all other Region-B coded discs without a problem so far.. For instance, "Make Way for Tomorrow" (also from MoC dual-format edition), BFI Ozu discs, "Certified Copy" from Artificial Eye, etc. No problem for Region-A coded discs either.

Has anyone been able to play "Profound Desires of the Gods" on a multi-region BD player?
Are people still having problems with this disc on their all-region players? I'm thinking of picking this up but I have the LG BD630.

o z o n e
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 3:36 pm

Re: BD 10 Profound Desires of the Gods

#117 Post by o z o n e » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:38 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
zone_resident wrote:
The Masked Marvel wrote:I've attempted playing the Blu version of "Profound Desires of the Gods" in my newly-purchased all-region LG BD630, but I still get the "Fiddlesticks" message screen; this after successfully playing both "Repo Man" and "Two-Lane Blacktop."

Anybody have a similar issue? I'm at a loss for what's up with the disc/player. I'm glad to have picked up the dual format edition, but I'd still much prefer to watch it in Blu...
I have exactly the same issue with LG BD630 and "Profound Desires of the Gods". I don't know the reason but it is annoying.

The player is able to play all other Region-B coded discs without a problem so far.. For instance, "Make Way for Tomorrow" (also from MoC dual-format edition), BFI Ozu discs, "Certified Copy" from Artificial Eye, etc. No problem for Region-A coded discs either.

Has anyone been able to play "Profound Desires of the Gods" on a multi-region BD player?
Are people still having problems with this disc on their all-region players? I'm thinking of picking this up but I have the LG BD630.

No problems!

I guess the above is the most standard example when people with region-mods face problems during the change of regions, it's in the design of bluray disc's.

The player remember the last track played (read: the region mismatch message!) Press STOP, TWICE (as in 2x times)! The player will "delete" the bookmark on the second press at the STOP button...

Applesauce
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:23 pm
Location: 02128

Re: 102 / BD 10 Profound Desires of the Gods

#118 Post by Applesauce » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:18 pm

I have played it on my Insignia NS-BRDVD2.

User avatar
Monsieur M.
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:45 pm

Re: 102 / BD 10 Profound Desires of the Gods

#119 Post by Monsieur M. » Tue May 02, 2017 2:48 am

Hello.

Has there been any news regarding a 4K resto or a possible Criterion release anytime in the near future? Anything to even hint a new release, be it in the USA or anywhere in the world? The MoC release has been out of print for quite some time now. I have found a local new copy for 30 euros, which I'm willing to pay for it, but only if the chances of a better release, say within this year, are pretty slim. Thanks in advance.

Post Reply