76 A nos amours.

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
What A Disgrace

76 A nos amours.

#1 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:29 pm

A nos amours.

A portrait of youth in bloom; a tale of one family’s dissolution; a reflection upon the danger and the mystery in living. Maurice Pialat’s serene, perilous masterwork provides the movie romance a definitive check and eminently deceptive balance — the X scratched on top of the O.

In one of the astonishing film debuts, Sandrine Bonnaire plays Suzanne, a free spirit and the vessel for an almost Brontëan choler. She’s 16, and men exist — diverse lovers, an overbearing brother, and the father portrayed by Pialat himself in an unforgettable turn that displays the full magnitude of the cinema giant’s tenderness, force-of-will, and presence of being.

Woven through with indelible images and heart-stopping moments (and culminating in the infamous “dinner party scene”), A nos amours. [To Our Romance / Here’s to Love] is a pure creation, a film that will live so long as there’s still either movies or love. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present Pialat’s landmark film for the first time on DVD in the UK.

Special Features

• Gorgeous new anamorphic transfer of the film in its original aspect ratio
• New and improved English subtitle translations
• 16-minute 2003 interview with star Sandrine Bonnaire, conducted by former Cahiers du cinéma editor-in-chief, and current director of the Cinémathèque Française, Serge Toubiana
L’Œil humain [The Human Eye], a 55-minute film by director Xavier Giannoli that analyses A nos amours. and features former Cahiers du cinéma editorial director Jean-Michel Frodon, actors Jacques Fieschi and Sandrine Bonnaire, and other members of the cast and crew
• 14-minute excerpt from a 1983 TV interview with Maurice Pialat from the set of A nos amours, and featuring rushes of scenes that don’t appear in the finished film
• 31 minutes of video screen-tests from 1982 for actors that variously appear and do not appear in the finished film
• Original theatrical trailer for A nos amours, along with trailers for the six other Maurice Pialat films released by The Masters of Cinema Series
• 48-page booklet containing a new essay about the film by writer and filmmaker Dan Sallitt, a two-page image-essay by Craig Keller, and a transcript of the sit-down conversation that took place between Maurice Pialat and Jean-Luc Godard in 1984, appearing for the first time in an English translation

evillights

Re: 76 A nos amours

#2 Post by evillights » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:57 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:Play.com has initial specs. No details on the booklet, but the disc specs seem identical to the Criterion release, minus the interviews with Breillat and Gorin.
The A nos amours. page is now live at the MoC site.

Duncan Hopper

#3 Post by Duncan Hopper » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:08 am

My copy arrived this morning, but no sign of Sous Le Soleil De Satan just yet.

I watched La Gueule Ouverte last night, what a tremendous film. Not an easy watch by any means, but very rewarding.

Yojimbo

#4 Post by Yojimbo » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:21 am

Duncan Hopper wrote:My copy arrived this morning, but no sign of Sous Le Soleil De Satan just yet.

I watched La Gueule Ouverte last night, what a tremendous film. Not an easy watch by any means, but very rewarding.
I received both it and 'Satan'
(just watched 'A Nos...' another Pialat great: great performances by Bonnaire and himself, especially.
And by the ensemble cast.
Although I thought the mother and brother's 'tantrums' were a tad overdone, betimes

'La Guele' is possibly the best film deaing with a terminal illness I've seen: the often black humour certainly helps

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#5 Post by tenia » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:09 pm

Funny thing : I didn't want to spend any more money in MoC sales, so I skipped A nos amours, but found the French Gaumont edition in a special sale just this afternoon, and didn't resist.

Among the 5 Pialat I've seen (I haven't seen Sous le soleil de Satan yet), I think it's my favorite with L'enfance-nue.
There is something really deep in here, especially between Bonnaire and Pialat himself. They both show an amazing presence on screen.

Mozart

Re: 76 A nos amours.

#6 Post by Mozart » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:21 am

Tonight at Arte (French/German TV) from 8:15pm on in HD.
Afterwards a new french 52 min documentary/making of from 2011 about the film by David Thompson.

Was wondering, where Arte has got the master, as this film was not part of the announcements of HD-remasters in 2013 by Gaumont.
http://ww.criterionforum.org/forum/view ... 51#p390119" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Fanciful Norwegian

#7 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:36 am

I think Gaumont's had an HD transfer of this for years. If you check out the specs for the Criterion DVD, it says the transfer was done in HD (which is repeated in the "about the transfer" section of the booklet). L'enfance nue also has an HD transfer per Criterion, so maybe that's why these two Pialats were excluded from the list -- they're already in HD, so Gaumont doesn't feel the need to do remasters.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#8 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:51 am

Mozart wrote:Tonight at Arte (French/German TV) from 8:15pm on in HD.
Afterwards a new french 52 min documentary/making of from 2011 about the film by David Thompson.

Was wondering, where Arte has got the master, as this film was not part of the announcements of HD-remasters in 2013 by Gaumont.
http://ww.criterionforum.org/forum/view ... 51#p390119" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Saw both last night and found 'A nos amours' still staggering after countless viewings. The doco is drawn from much the same material as already on Gaumont /MoC discs but is glued together with an updated interview with Sandrine Bonnaire, who goes into her relationship with Pialat in more emotional detail, including the rupture after turning down the part taken by Marceau in Police. There is a touching scene when the terminally ill Pialat is reconciled with her on a TV chat show.
One thought crossed my mind regarding Pialat's subterfuge when the Dad, who he plays, "returns from the dead" to interrupt a family celebratory meal. There is a similar strategy employed by Mike Leigh I seem to remember when the christmas meal is interrupted by the arrival of the police in Vera Drake, allegedly unexpected by the actors, bar Vera I think. I am not sure whether it was an improvisation re-played out subsequently on camera or captured 'live' as by Pialat. Whatever the case, I fond both these great examples of visceral film-making.

MichaelB

#9 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:07 pm

Ken Loach does this too - in Looking for Eric, Steve Evets apparently had absolutely no idea that when he turned round he'd find himself face to face with the real Eric Cantona. That gobsmacked astonishment is the real thing, and obviously had to be nailed on the first take.