It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please do not clutter up the threads for MoC titles with information on pre-orders. You can announce the availability of pre-orders in the MoC: Cheapest Prices / Best Places to Buy / Pre-Orders thread. Any posts on pre-orders in any other thread will be deleted.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:32 am 

HUGE news just announced on the Eureka Facebook page:

Quote:
New Announcement! A set of three early films by Taiwanese filmmaker Hou Hsiao-hsien will be joining The Masters of Cinema Series on Blu-ray in Spring 2018.

CUTE GIRL (1980) – A young bride-to-be falls for a laid-back land surveyor whilst visiting her family in the countryside. Conceived as a commercial vehicle for pop star Kenny Bee, this romantic comedy was Hou Hsiao-hsien’s debut feature.

THE GREEN, GREEN GRASS OF HOME (1982) – A substitute teacher (again played by pop star Kenny Bee) moves to a remote village, where he falls in love with another teacher at the local school.

THE BOYS FROM FENGKUEI (1983) – Three young men leave their fishing village for the city to look for work, where they face some harsh realities about growing up. The film which established Hou Hsiao-hsien as a leading figure of the Taiwanese New Wave, THE BOYS FROM FENGKUEI was rapturously received in Europe and is often considered the director’s first mature masterwork.

All three films will be presented from stunning restorations, across three Blu-ray discs. Special features and artwork TO BE ANNOUNCED

Had a feeling they'd announce more Hou at some point, but based on DAUGHTER OF THE NILE, I would've thought they'd only do one or two single titles. A triple-set is an immediate purchase from me!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:43 am 

I don't know at all if it's any clue for potential future releases, but Carlotta will release these 3 movies and Daughter of the Nile in their upcoming French set, but the set will also contain A Time to Live, A Time to Die & Dust in the Wind.
So maybe these 2 will also pop up through MoC in the near future.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:45 am 

Wonderful! Daughter of the Nile was the first Hou film that really connected for me, so I’m excited to see more of his early work.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:49 am 

In the Belgian Cinematek set, each film was accompanied by a video essay by Cristina Álvarez López and Adrian Martin so hopefully they make their way over here as well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:05 pm 

I just got Daughter of the Nile and Brighter Summer Day, so more Taiwanese New Wave is welcome. Day one buy for me.
With the exception of Daughter and the Assassin, what else by Hou is available on English friendly Blu ray?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:12 pm 

I've only seen Cute Girl out of these three so I'm picking this up for sure. I saw a double feature of that and Cheerful Wind (any reason why it isn't on these sets?) during the last retrospective at UCLA and they were a joy to watch. I shamefully still haven't picked up Daughter of the Nile yet but I'm thrilled to see more Hou from MoC.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:15 pm 

Glad I held off on the Cinematek DVD set, which was cheap enough (around $30 with shipping from Belgium) that I came within one click of pulling the trigger on a couple of occasions.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:19 pm 

dda1996a wrote:
I just got Daughter of the Nile and Brighter Summer Day, so more Taiwanese New Wave is welcome. Day one buy for me.
With the exception of Daughter and the Assassin, what else by Hou is available on English friendly Blu ray?

Not much:
The Sandwich Man - Segment of the eponymous portmanteau film, in the Taiwan New Cinema box set.
A Time to Live, A Time to Die - Hou Hsiao Hsien Collection
Dust in the Wind - On its own and in the Hou Hsiao Hsien Collection
La Belle Epoque - Section of portmanteau film 10+10

A Summer at Grandpa's seems to be out on BluRay in Japan, but as far as I know that's not English-friendly. But nothing from the 90s or 00s.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:31 pm 

Boys from Fengkeui was also released on blu-ray in Japan, without English subs; and the excellent film Growing Up (which Hou wrote/produced but did not direct; it's unmistakably his work) is on the Taiwanese set with Sandwich Man and In Our Time. And of course his most recent film, The Assassin, is on blu-ray. Arguably his two most ambitious films, City of Sadness and The Puppetmaster, are AWOL and will likely remain so for a long time, sadly.