La Vie est Belle Editions: The Man Who Sleeps

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
VieEstBelleEditions

La Vie est Belle Editions: The Man Who Sleeps

#1 Post by VieEstBelleEditions » Fri May 29, 2009 11:40 am

La Vie est Belle Films

For my first post here, let me introduce our 2-Disc Box Edition of Un Homme qui dort (The Man Who Sleeps) by French writer Georges Perec and director Bernard Queysanne. The film was admired by Georges Franju and won the Jean Vigo prize in 1974.

The box contains the English version of the film where Perec's text is said by Shelley Duvall (Ludmila Mikaël in the original version). More informations on DVDBeaver :

Edition Details:

- Extra on Disc 1: Theatrical trailer (1:45)
- Extras on Disc 2: Two 1999 French TV documentaries by Bernard Queysanne:
- Propos amicaux à propos d'espèces d'espaces (1:11:20) - Perec remembered by his friends and colleagues
- Lire-traduire Georges Perec (33:14) - on the challenges of translating Perec's works
- 52-page booklet about the film, including the full text of the voiceover (French language only)

zedz

Re: La Vie est Belle Editions: The Man Who Sleeps

#2 Post by zedz » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:16 pm

Welcome aboard!

I've heard great things about this film and your edition, and it's currently sitting near the top of my middenesque kevyip, so I'll try to post on it soon. I know there are other fans of the film on the forum who will want to chime in.

VieEstBelleEditions

#3 Post by VieEstBelleEditions » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:12 am

Thank you for the welcome!
I hope you will enjoy the film. I am impatient to read your post. We are very proud of the film.
Some great documentaries by Georges Perec are also available on the INA's website (Television French Institute). Unfortunately I do not think the films are subtitled in English.

zedz

#4 Post by zedz » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:39 pm

I watched it, and it's a great film, but it's one I'll need to watch again (and again).

In terms of comparisons, it feels a bit like a feature-length combination of Christopher Maclaine's The End and Marker's La Jetee. It's drifting and dreamlike but very concrete, composed rather like a mosaic: lots of small (beautiful black and white) shots of details of setting, location and the existential protagonist, in provocative juxtaposition with one another and with more sweeping architectural shots (there's a seriously incredible crane / zoom shot at the end of the film that takes in an entire neighbourhood, and the city beyond, in one extended, seemingly impossible looping / swirling gesture) accompanied by Perec's text, narrated in the English version by Shelley Duvall.

Normally, I'd prefer the original French voice-over with subtitles, but that would really compromise the film, which seems to me to work very consciously in parallel visual and aural dimensions. I found when watching the film that it was extremely hard to follow the 'narrative' of both dimensions simultaneously (even though they're not obviously divergent - a large part of the film 'illustrates' the narration), and found my consciousness switching between the two (which is one big reason why I know I need to rewatch it) - something that doesn't happen with the two precursors I mentioned above. Turning the narration into another visual element (via subtitles) would cause the film to function in an entirely different way, and I'd probably be missing much more.

I haven't dipped into the extras yet, and it's a shame they're not subtitled, but congratulations for getting such an extrordinary and rewarding film out in such a great, relatively English-friendly edition. What else have you got up your sleeves?

Here's a DVD Beaver review with some representative screen captures.

foggy eyes

#5 Post by foggy eyes » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:15 pm

Didn't notice we had a thread for this...

The film was screened in London for (apparently) the first time in 35 years a few months ago, and is one of the discoveries of the year for me so far... Comparisons to Resnais and Marker are appropriate, but as an experiment in the juxtaposition of image, sound and text (not to mention reality and non-reality) it's almost totally unique. I've since picked up the DVD, and it's superb - great work!

Glad you liked it, zedz!

Gropius

#6 Post by Gropius » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:36 pm

foggy eyes wrote:The film was screened in London for (apparently) the first time in 35 years a few months ago, and is one of the discoveries of the year for me so far...
Ditto. On the basis of this one film, Perec could have been as great a filmmaker as he was a writer (perhaps even surpassing Robbe-Grillet and Duras, although it's Queysanne who receives directorial credit here). Apart from the visuals, it's particularly of note for its gripping and unsettling use of second-person narration, which, as far as I could tell following a fumbling perusal of the French text chained to a bed in the Tate Modern installation downstairs, is mostly indentical to the novel. The depth of artistic riches from 60s/70s France never ceases to amaze.

zedz

#7 Post by zedz » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:46 pm

Gropius wrote:On the basis of this one film, Perec could have been as great a filmmaker as he was a writer (perhaps even surpassing Robbe-Grillet and Duras).
I don't know if Perec entirely deserves the credit. The film is generally jointly credited to Perec and Queysanne, but the on-screen credits are actually "Georges Perec - texte" and "Bernard Queysanne - mise en scene", which sounds more like the Duras / Resnais or Robbe-Grillet / Resnais relationships on Hiroshima and Marienbad than Duras' or Robbe-Grillet's solo efforts. IMDB credits Queysanne with two other features and quite a bit of television - has anybody seen any of it?

Gropius

#8 Post by Gropius » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:16 am

zedz wrote:
Gropius wrote:On the basis of this one film, Perec could have been as great a filmmaker as he was a writer (perhaps even surpassing Robbe-Grillet and Duras).
I don't know if Perec entirely deserves the credit. The film is generally jointly credited to Perec and Queysanne
Yeah, I edited my post on reflection as you were typing (had forgotten about the credits). Also, dating from 1974, I suppose this was quite late on in the 'Left Bank' aesthetic, so Queysanne would have been able to draw on the work of Resnais, Marker, etc, for inspiration. Still, for two men with no prior screen credits (other than, apparently, assistant directorial work by Queysanne on some Robert Enrico films), it's a most impressive achievement.

IMDB also lists L'oeil de l'autre, a 1977 TV adaptation once again directed by Queysanne from a text by Perec, which if it's anything like this (probably not) should be unearthed by someone.

VieEstBelleEditions

#9 Post by VieEstBelleEditions » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:14 am

Perec often said that he admired Hiroshima mon amour by Resnais/Duras. There is a a sentence in the film that is a sort of citation of the Duras' text.
Zedz, the comparison to Marker's Jetée is very judicious. I was also amazed to see the similarities between both films.
In interviews Queysanne has often said that Perec was very present on the set. I think he was a real co-director, more implicated on the set than Robe Grillet on L'année dernière à Marienbad or Duras on Hiroshima, mon amour.

And sorry for my bad english...