Palisades Tartan

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
The Fanciful Norwegian

#226 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:49 am

Terrible article. How does buying Tartan UK's library give Palisades the U.S. rights to those films? I guess we should hurry up and grab those Criterion Bergmans, since by this guy's logic, Palisades Media owns all the rights now. And how utterly predictable that Battle Royale is the one Tartan UK title he wants to see in the States. (Yeah, I know, it's CHUD...)

And I hope that "releases will start back up in the Winter with the Asia Extreme collection" means they'll be reissuing existing Asia Extreme titles, and not picking up even more bland-ass J-/K-horror titles of the sort that helped put Tartan out of business in the first place. I honestly wish they'd just dump the whole Asia Extreme "brand", but there are people out there who genuinely treat it as a sign of quality (!) and it probably makes business sense to keep it around.

ellipsis7

#227 Post by ellipsis7 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:07 am

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:Terrible article. How does buying Tartan UK's library give Palisades the U.S. rights to those films? I guess we should hurry up and grab those Criterion Bergmans, since by this guy's logic, Palisades Media owns all the rights now.
See my previous post above... NY based Palisades acquired Tartan USA's library in May, now in July they've acquired most of Tartan UK's library, and say they're planning marketing and delivery synergies and economics of scale etc. between the two territories for future releases... I suppose this means they can master from the same film materials in both PAL and NTSC, but then share common packaging, advertising, extras etc. in UK and USA, a similar stategy to many of the big studio releases....

The Fanciful Norwegian

#228 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:33 am

Yes, but they can only do that with the titles for which they have both the U.S. and UK rights. Unless either Tartan USA or Tartan UK was sitting on the U.S. rights to Battle Royale (which makes no sense), this deal will have no effect on its availability in the U.S. By the same token, I doubt Palisades will be releasing Red Road or 12:08 East of Bucharest in the UK, since Verve and Artificial Eye have the rights there.

And as for sharing resources like extras, transfers, etc., well, sure, I'd expect them to do so (at least where they can), since that's what Tartan UK and Tartan USA were doing before they closed up shop -- often to their mutual detriment (some Tartan UK titles were simply bad PAL conversions of their Tartan USA equivalents and vice-versa). I'd like to see Palisades go back and fix some of those issues -- the R1 Battle in Heaven, for example, is clearly not a native NTSC transfer -- but I fear they're just going to reissue the same discs with slightly different packaging. We'll see.

Antoine Doinel

Re: Tartan

#229 Post by Antoine Doinel » Tue May 19, 2009 8:20 pm

Vivendi has acquired the US rights from Palisades for the Tartan catalog.

kaujot

#230 Post by kaujot » Wed May 20, 2009 1:27 pm

Does Vivendi even have a label? I can't recall ever hearing their name in any sort of dvd discussion before.

kinjitsu

#231 Post by kinjitsu » Wed May 20, 2009 2:04 pm

kaujot

#232 Post by kaujot » Wed May 20, 2009 3:35 pm

Just from brushing through their catalog, it seems their stock-in-trade is direct-to-dvd movies thus far.

colinr0380

#233 Post by colinr0380 » Thu May 21, 2009 2:37 pm

kaujot wrote:Just from brushing through their catalog, it seems their stock-in-trade is direct-to-dvd movies thus far.
With worrying titles like 'See Dick Run'! Though Bellydance: Lebanese Pop Choreography sounds like it has some interesting qualities!

Another important thing to note is the release of Tunnel Rats (aka the post-Postal Uwe Boll film).

Awesome Welles

#234 Post by Awesome Welles » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:55 am

From Screen Daily... Metrodome will be releasing Thirst in the UK for Palisades.
Metrodome also has exclusive rights to represent Palisades Tartan’s VOD and TV library in the UK
I wonder if this includes home entertainment rights, Palisades don't seem to be too active on that front.

tojoed

#235 Post by tojoed » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:44 pm

They're now called Palisades-Tartan, according to this DVD Times report. They will be releasing DVDs and Blu-Rays, some in association with Metrodome.

tojoed

#236 Post by tojoed » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:41 pm

On October 5th two Korean films The Uninvited and Blood Rain on DVD.

Cinetwist

#237 Post by Cinetwist » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:44 am

tojoed wrote:On October 5th two Korean films The Uninvited and Blood Rain on DVD.
I'm confused. I was told by someone with industry knowledge that Tartan went out of business by saturating the market with new Asian horror/thriller films. So their re-entry into the marketplace is with Asian horror/thriller films?

colinr0380

#238 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:47 pm

I thought they made a come back as Palisades Tartan a few months ago by releasing P2? I'm not really a fan of the recent cycle of French horrors in general, but didn't find anything particularly interesting (or realistic) about this US set film directed by a protege of Alexandre Aja.

Oedipax

Re: Palisades Tartan

#239 Post by Oedipax » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:16 am

I thought it was funding the Haneke remake that finally killed the old Tartan. I'm sure whatever generic Asia Extreme title they put out next is gonna outsell Silent Light anyway.

Nothing

#240 Post by Nothing » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:03 am

Cinetwist wrote:I'm confused. I was told by someone with industry knowledge that Tartan went out of business by saturating the market with new Asian horror/thriller films. So their re-entry into the marketplace is with Asian horror/thriller films?
The Asian Extreme sub-label was Tartan's most profitable venture. But they over-extended themselves into the US, getting into a problematic partnership with a sub-distributor, and were virtually frozen out by City Screen in the UK (with a general downturn in the arthouse sector on top) - and then staked it all on the Funny Games remake.

It'll be interesting to see if this new incarnation is anything like as bold as the original (I fear not).

staplehead

#241 Post by staplehead » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:38 pm

The first lot of Palisade/Tartan blurays gets released on Monday 2nd November here in the UK. Titles are as follows:

(re-releases of the previous Tartan blurays)
Black Book
The Proposition

(new bluray releases)
A Tale of Two Sisters
Lady Vengeance
Sympathy for Mr Vengeance

I do hope the Vengeance films have been given good transfers, but knowing me I'll probably buy them anyway.

Ben Cheshire

#242 Post by Ben Cheshire » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:36 am

Do they own any pre-1960 films aside from Seventh Seal? I find it hard to get excited about all these recent ones.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#243 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:52 am

Tartan actually released most of Bergman's films (this license was recently extended) and there's a fair amount of pre-1960 titles in there. They also did four volumes of Ozu, including some of his '40s-'50s work -- although vols. 1 and 2 seem to be OOP. Plus The Phantom Carriage and the Eisenstein box.

Erikht

#244 Post by Erikht » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:57 pm

Well, the boxed set is on sale now, if anybody wants it.

MichaelB

#245 Post by MichaelB » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:01 pm

Actually, it's been OOP for some time - only one person is selling it at present through Amazon Marketplace, and that's for many times the original RRP.

In fact, if people really are paying that kind of money for it, I'm half tempted to sell mine!

TMDaines

#246 Post by TMDaines » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:17 pm

Does anyone know whether the Tartan release of Respiro has optional subtitles? It has multiple audio options but no where does it say if the subtitles are optional or not. If not I'll add it to my "Buy in Italy" list.

bigP

#247 Post by bigP » Sat May 22, 2010 3:44 pm

Ki-Duk Kim's Breath is being released on 28th June. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we might see Time and Beautiful on the horizon shortly afterwards.

tojoed

#248 Post by tojoed » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:21 am

In September they are re-releasing their Eisenstein Volume 2, currently out of print.

perkizitore

#249 Post by perkizitore » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:44 am

bigP wrote:Ki-Duk Kim's Breath is being released on 28th June. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we might see Time and Beautiful on the horizon shortly afterwards.
Here is Time!

DanV

#250 Post by DanV » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:36 am

New Eisenstein box set coming out on September 20th. Can't wait for this one.

(Moviemail is selling it at double the price!)