Cinema Guild

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Cinema Guild

#226 Post by swo17 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:33 pm

cinemaguild wrote:CYBER WEEKEND SALE!! 50% off all DVDs and Blu-rays.

We're trying to get into the holiday spirit here at CG, so we're doing our first ever holiday sale. Starting Friday, all DVDs and Blu-rays on our site are going to be reduced to 50% of MSRP. Sale officially kicks off Thursday at midnight and ends Monday night.

Please feel free to pass it on and re-post.

Thanks very much.

CG
Strange Case of Angelica will make a great stocking stuffer, people!

John Edmond

#227 Post by John Edmond » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:55 pm

No chance we can't just email somebody at Cinema Guild if wanting to make an international purchase? Rather than calling?

Scratch that, I looked back a few pages. Will email you at sale@cinemaguild.com.

zedz

#228 Post by zedz » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:05 pm

This is a great opportunity, especially since Cinema Guild titles are seldom heavily discounted by the main online sellers. As swo indicates, The Strange Case of Angelica is one of the releases of the year, but alongside the obvious suspects (Rivette and Denis and Costa and Kiarostami) I'd also like to draw attention to a couple of really great documentaries: Marwencol and The Order of Myths. Both of these were among the best films I saw of any kind in their respective years.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#229 Post by domino harvey » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:08 pm

And the Petzolds, of course

John Edmond

#230 Post by John Edmond » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:12 pm

Yep, just ordered a swath of their recent releases (and some catch-up that I've been umming and ahhing about). And they've been nothing but helpful when ordering via email. Marwencol this time, The Order of Myths will have to wait for the next sale.

Sarky

#231 Post by Sarky » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:04 pm

Sadly, my budget is very slim but I think I'll be picking up Strange Case of Angelica blu, Marwencol blu, Ne Change Rein and 35 Shots of Rum. I have enough to add one more title to the bunch but I'm not sure what. I have a couple possible candidates Shirin (I didn't care much for Close-Up, but this sounds mildly more entertaining) and Beaches of Agnes (looks bizarre and surreal, but documentaries in general are iffy for me). I'm open to other options though.

zedz

#232 Post by zedz » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:37 pm

I wouldn't recommend Shirin to any Kiarostami neophyte. I'm a big fan of his and even I find it more interesting than great. The other de Oliveira (Eccentricities of a Blond Hair Girl) might be a better bet, or Around a Small Mountain.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#233 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:51 pm

Ne Change Rien is wonderful. In terms of mise-en-scene, it's rather spare but combined with Balibar's lovely singing it's quite ravishing. I haven't watched the extras, but the feature is more than adequate to the price to pay during this sale. I highly recommend this one. I'd rate it one of the best home video experiences I've had this year.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#234 Post by swo17 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:31 am

In the City of Sylvia is also one worth picking up.

perkizitore

#235 Post by perkizitore » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:41 pm

I really want the Angelica blu, what should my other options be? I was thinking of picking up In The City Of Sylvia, Ne Change Rien and possibly Eccentricities (I already own the Varda)
Can the extras of In The City of Sylvia justify shelling out more cash than the R2?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#236 Post by domino harvey » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:47 pm

I haven't seen Cinema Guild's version of Gespenster (Ghosts), as I have the German DVD, but it's a masterpiece and worthy of being seen

Oedipax

#237 Post by Oedipax » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:06 pm

I'd strongly recommend the Putty Hill / Hamilton set as another title to consider. I ordered that and The Strange Case of Angelica (already owned Ne change rien).

Sarky

#238 Post by Sarky » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:30 pm

Ended up only picking these four;
35 Shots of Rum
Marwencol [blu]
Ne Change Rein
Strange Case of Angelica [blu]

I might be able to squeeze another 1 to 2 titles out of my budget if no other Black Friday or weekend deals present themselves. Thanks for the input and suggestions as I'm sure I'll be picking one or two of them. Eccentricities and Sylvia seem like good candidates.

I am very curious about Aurora myself, since its eligible and I doubt they'll charge me right away so it would be a safe order to make.

AlexHansen

#239 Post by AlexHansen » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:35 pm

If I remember correctly, they charged me for my Costa and Oliveira pre-orders right when I placed it.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#240 Post by domino harvey » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:05 pm

Picked up Marwencol and the Strange Case of Angelica on Blu plus Beeswax, the Order of Myths, and Eccentricities of a Blonde-Haired Girl. Nice art house balance to my more populist-leaning Black Friday scores!

Also, man, that's a huge spoiler in the Yella thumbnail description!

cinemaguild

#241 Post by cinemaguild » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:47 pm

It's the last day of our Cyber Weekend Sale!!

We're extremely thrilled with the amazing response so thanks to everyone who's taken part.

Our top selling title thus far is the blu-ray of THE STRANGE CASE OF ANGELICA. Also: NE CHANGE RIEN, ECCENTRICITIES OF A BLONDE-HAIRED GIRL and IN THE CITY OF SYLVIA.

Grand Illusion

#242 Post by Grand Illusion » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:17 pm

Bought:
Yella
Strange Case of Angelica
In the City of Sylvia
35 Shots of Rum

and pre-ordered Aurora.

Happy Thanksgiving to me.

Trip

#243 Post by Trip » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:45 am

This may have been stated already, but is there any general idea of release date for the blu of The Turin Horse?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#244 Post by swo17 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:56 pm

Sometime before the end of the world?

cinemaguild

#245 Post by cinemaguild » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:03 pm

Trip wrote:This may have been stated already, but is there any general idea of release date for the blu of The Turin Horse?
Nothing confirmed yet. But it will open theatrically in New York on February 10.

jbeall

#246 Post by jbeall » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:31 pm

Aw, crap. I just checked this thread and missed the sale. Any chance of it being extended or happening again?

Grand Illusion

#247 Post by Grand Illusion » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:03 pm

cinemaguild wrote:
Trip wrote:This may have been stated already, but is there any general idea of release date for the blu of The Turin Horse?
Nothing confirmed yet. But it will open theatrically in New York on February 10.
Anything planned for LA yet?

cinemaguild

#248 Post by cinemaguild » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:29 pm

Yes, most likely in March.
jbeall wrote:Aw, crap. I just checked this thread and missed the sale. Any chance of it being extended or happening again?
There are no plans for another sale. However, even without the sale, we do offer pretty solid discounts on our titles all year round :)

zedz

#249 Post by zedz » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:50 pm

swo17 wrote:Sometime before the end of the world?
The rumour I heard was three or four days before, but the guy who told me didn't seem especially reliable.

razumovsky

#250 Post by razumovsky » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:26 pm

isakborg wrote:Hopefully, one of the salvageable films is Whispering Pages. I never thought I'd see this film on DVD (or, even better, Blu-ray). When it showed at the NYFF, the Times noted it as a film that was markedly unlikely to get a commercial release, though (my comment) it certainly would have had more of a chance than Stone. Re Whispering Pages - you might call it an aberrant adaptation of Crime and Punishment, with a succinct twist in the last seconds of the film that, if you've read the novel, is breath-takingly horrific. Those few seconds, as I read them, is one of the greatest examples in film of a minimum of means yielding a maximum of effect. Without editorializing, it's about an entire culture choosing self-damnation.
I've just seen Whispering Pages, showing as part of the Sokurov retrospective at the BFI. Sadly, the trouble they have had getting a screenable print confirms what Cinema Guild said, and it was shown from a DVD (with free admission, partly because of the relatively poor quality). What a stunning film, though - it had the genuinely disorienting feel of a nightmare. I hope the word gets around that this is a film that needs to be seen. It is certainly a film that could find an audience, given a chance. Isakborg, could you elaborate on your reading of the last few seconds of the film? I'm intrigued.

On a related note, the version of Stone that was shown was Sokurov's recent re-edit. He has apparently shorn it of 10 minutes.