Cinema Guild

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
med

Re: Cinema Guild

#301 Post by med » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:41 pm

Any reviews of the Once Upon a Time in Anatolia BD anywhere? It comes out next week.

eerik

#302 Post by eerik » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:44 am

med wrote:Any reviews of the Once Upon a Time in Anatolia BD anywhere? It comes out next week.
Blu-ray.com

cinemaguild

#303 Post by cinemaguild » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:00 pm

DVD Beaver on ONCE UPON A TIME IN ANATOLIA:

BOTTOM LINE
Magnificent, evocative film - beautifully transferred - signifying an 'essential' in my opinion. The visuals of Once Upon A Time in Anatolia are subtle yet also contain a richness that becomes a large part of the film experience. The Blu-ray is so proficient it would seem more like a cinema-experience via the darkness of your home theater. We can strongly recommend this package.

Full review here - http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_ ... lu-ray.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jazzkammer

#304 Post by Jazzkammer » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:02 am

Are you guys shipping preorders of Anatolia yet? I preordered Anatolia from you guys, and I was told I would recieve a confirmation email once I was billed for it and it was shipped, but I haven't recieved any emails from you guys yet.

edit: As usual, I spoke too soon; I recieved the confirmation email later that day

cinemaguild

#305 Post by cinemaguild » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:17 am

DVD Talk on ONCE UPON A TIME IN ANATOLIA:

ADVICE: DVD Talk Collector Series

Cinema Guild presents Once Upon a Time in Anatolia anamorphically, at its original 2.35:1 widescreen aspect ratio, in an impeccable AVC/MPEG-4, 1080p transfer. The film was shot on high-definition digital video, and the suitability of that media for digital home editions (coupled with the Guild's typical extra-special, conscientious care of the film in its charge) means that this transfer looks literally flawless: every color and skin tone looks just as it should, the nighttime darkness of the first half of the film is solid and never washed-out.... Every frame is just stunningly vibrant, and there is no aliasing or edge enhancement within miles of this lovingly prepared Blu-ray edition.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/54922/on ... -anatolia/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

warren oates

#306 Post by warren oates » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:10 pm

Just watched Cinema Guild's Blu-ray of Once Upon A Time in Anatolia and have to commend the job they've done here. The reviews posted above aren't exaggerating. The A/V presentation is the kind of reference quality that I don't really expect to see from small art film distributors, even with newer films. I haven't had a chance to dip into the extras yet, but I blind bought this disc and am very happy about it. Can't wait to see what CG does with The Turin Horse and (hope, hope) upcoming Sokurov on Blu.

cinemaguild

#307 Post by cinemaguild » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:14 am

They've arrived.

TheDoman

#308 Post by TheDoman » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:31 pm

\:D/ Excellent stuff CinemaGuild. Really looking forward to my copy arriving, and re-watching this masterpiece.

What A Disgrace

#309 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:34 pm

Robbie Pickering's Natural Selection and Hong Sang-soo's The Day He Arrives are listed on their website as Coming Soon. I hope the latter is a Blu-ray.

repeat

#310 Post by repeat » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:50 am

For purely selfish reasons I too am hoping The Day He Arrives will be Blu, but on the other hand, given the scarcity of Hong's work on Western/English-friendly home video, it would be a shame to limit the availability to just Blu-ray owners. (Having said that though, the Turin Horse BD was a big factor in my own recent switch to Blu - but I reckon The Day He Arrives might have larger potential appeal)

In any case I'm really excited about this release and can't wait to see the full details - these two along with Aurora, Everyone Else, Anatolia etc. have definitely secured Cinema Guild's position as my new #1 label to watch!

criterionsnob

#311 Post by criterionsnob » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:30 pm

med

#312 Post by med » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:43 pm

Regarding Rosenbaum's commentary track:
The track only lasts for seventy minutes, about half of the film's runtime.
It's not specified how this plays out. Selected scene? It runs the first 70 minutes of the film? Or—horrors—Rosenbaum talking cut with long stretches of dead air?

Grand Illusion

#313 Post by Grand Illusion » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:56 pm

Happy Turin Horse Day, everyone!

cinemaguild

#314 Post by cinemaguild » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:58 pm

med wrote:Regarding Rosenbaum's commentary track:
The track only lasts for seventy minutes, about half of the film's runtime.
It's not specified how this plays out. Selected scene? It runs the first 70 minutes of the film? Or—horrors—Rosenbaum talking cut with long stretches of dead air?
It runs for the first 70 minutes. It's excellent, because Rosenbaum discusses Tarr's career and particularly his working relationship with Krasznahorkai (which really hasn't been discussed in depth anywhere else).

MichaelB

#315 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:05 pm

The full description of the commentary in the review:
Film critic Jonathan Rosenbaum admits up front that there really isn't much too say about The Turin Horse; for all its length and gravity, it's a very straightforward film. Appropriately, then, he expands his focus to the entirety of Tarr's career, discussing the director's biography, his overarching themes and inspirations, and the apparent stylistic split between his earlier and later works. The track only lasts for seventy minutes, about half of the film's runtime.
Which sounds fair enough.

knives

#316 Post by knives » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:08 pm

Is there any talk of Hranitzky's contributions? I've always been curious as to what exactly is her role in these films.

cinemaguild

#317 Post by cinemaguild » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:38 pm

knives wrote:Is there any talk of Hranitzky's contributions? I've always been curious as to what exactly is her role in these films.
Yes, he discusses her contribution as well.

Agnes doesn't speak english so she rarely appears in English press/interviews, but believe she's a co-director in all senses of the term. She was interviewed for this NY Times piece:

I am not only his editor, since we also live together, so we are together for morning till night,” Ms. Hranitzky said in a rare interview from Hungary, comparing her reaction to her husband’s decision to that when their daughter left home. “I know that this has to happen, and this is life, but it is hard to accept that. This collaboration was perfect for me.”

Ms. Hranitzky has often described her editing technique as knowing when not to cut. “In classical editing, the editor is sitting in the lab and then he or she is getting the material and edits it,” she said. “Our collaboration with Bela is a little bit different, because I was always present at the shooting. We are always looking at the shooting on a monitor."

knives

#318 Post by knives » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:41 pm

Thanks for the information.

Finch

#319 Post by Finch » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:25 pm

indiewire reports that Cinema Guild have bought the US rights to Raoul Ruiz' final film, Night Across The Street for a 2013 theatrical and home video release. Nice going, guys.

tavernier

#320 Post by tavernier » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:36 pm

I'd be surprised if Pena doesn't pick it for his final NYFF next month.

cinemaguild

#321 Post by cinemaguild » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:40 am

Sokurov: Early Masterworks

We're happy to report that we're finally able to move forward on our box set, SOKUROV: EARLY MASTERWORKS. As originally planned, the set will include WHISPERING PAGES, STONE and SAVE AND PROTECT.

The set streets on December 18, 2012. Details on bonus features, art, etc., will be announced shortly.

Thanks,
CG

Ashirg

#322 Post by Ashirg » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:04 pm

Natural Selection is up for pre-order on Amazon for October 23 release date on DVD or blu-ray.

warren oates

#323 Post by warren oates » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:49 pm

cinemaguild wrote:Sokurov: Early Masterworks

We're happy to report that we're finally able to move forward on our box set, SOKUROV: EARLY MASTERWORKS. As originally planned, the set will include WHISPERING PAGES, STONE and SAVE AND PROTECT.

The set streets on December 18, 2012. Details on bonus features, art, etc., will be announced shortly.

Thanks,
CG
CG just made my year. The only way this could get any better is if the set gets released on Blu-ray and/or with some of his shorts as bonus features.

I love all these films so much and I'd recommend this right now as a blind buy to anyone who already knows Sokurov's later works or who loves meditative art films in general. Each of these films is so unique and beautiful. There's nothing like quite like Whispering Pages, a stunning b&w riff on 19th Century Russian literature -- like a distillation rather than a adaptation of the poetry and passion of the collected works of Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, etc.
Stone takes what may be the worst pitch I've ever heard
SpoilerShow
Up all night with the guard at the Chekhov museum, hangin' with his ghost
and does something completely unexpected -- another essential Sokurov museum film, another masterful chamber piece. And Save and Protectis the cinematic adaptation of Madame Bovary, by which I mean the one the novel deserves.

JeanRZEJ

#324 Post by JeanRZEJ » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:27 am

Behind Cinema Guild is a group of wonderful people.

alfons416

#325 Post by alfons416 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:23 am

cinemaguild wrote:Sokurov: Early Masterworks

Thanks,
CG
GREAT NEWS! Holding my Thumbs for The Degraded and Ampir being included as extras, still a no brainer though..