Cinema Guild

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
warren oates

Re: Cinema Guild

#501 Post by warren oates » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:00 pm

Cinema Guild announces Manakamana for Blu-ray. Another totally interesting Sensory Ethnography Lab project. I'm definitely b̶l̶i̶n̶d̶ buying this. More extras than I expected, including a full length commentary, and, hey, it's on Blu-ray.

Edit: Just got a chance to see this in the theater and liked it a lot. It’s so simple and pure in concept and execution that it harkens back to the earliest days of cinema. And yet there’s so much going on all at once — anthropology, portraiture, landscape — and perhaps the most striking and structuralist devotion to duration I’ve seen in a film by anyone other than James Benning.

rockysds

#502 Post by rockysds » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:43 pm

Cinema Guild on Twitter wrote:We're excited to announce our acquisition of 4 films by Thom Andersen, including the landmark documentary LOS ANGELES PLAYS ITSELF. Other Thom Andersen films coming to DVD/VOD are: RED HOLLYWOOD, EADWEARD MUYBRIDGE ZOOPRAXOGRAPHER and RECONVERSAO.

warren oates

#503 Post by warren oates » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:50 pm

That's great news. I hope Get Out of the Car (2010) will be paired with one of these releases.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#504 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:16 pm

warren oates wrote:That's great news. I hope Get Out of the Car (2010) will be paired with one of these releases.
I thought that for a sec, but I can't see them clearing the rights. With Los Angeles Plays Itself, you can claim fair use, but I don't think that can apply to Get Out of the Car.

Raymond Marble

#505 Post by Raymond Marble » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:14 pm

Man, I was starting to think Los Angeles Plays Itself was gone forever. I'm very happy to hear this.

What A Disgrace

#506 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:40 pm

htshell

#507 Post by htshell » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:52 pm

Please, cinemaguild, for the love of all that's holy, can you somehow sneak on Andersen's early 16mm films --- -------- (Short Line, Long Line) and Melting??

Ashirg

#508 Post by Ashirg » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:02 pm

RED HOLLYWOOD DVD is available for pre-order with December 9 release date - link

FrauBlucher

#510 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:49 pm

Norte really needs to be released on bluray. Fingers crossed.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#511 Post by swo17 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:51 pm

Well this is easy--If CG wants my money, they will put it out on Blu-ray as well. Otherwise, I'll just import New Wave's release from the UK.

warren oates

#512 Post by warren oates » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:20 pm

I'll third that. I can't really see why they'd chose to go DVD only on a film like this, where a major selling point to the only sort of audience who'd be inclined to seek it out is the quality of the visual images.

shaky

#513 Post by shaky » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:15 pm

I tweeted Cinema Guild about it earlier today. Here's their response:

"NORTE will only be available as a DVD edition."

Time to snag up that New Wave disc.

FrauBlucher

#514 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:27 pm

Very disappointing news. CG has been one of the standout labels. It's surprising they choose to go this route on such a great film. I'll import the New Wave version because blu ray is a must for this film.

I'd like to hear CG's explanation for no blu ray release.

cinemaguild

#515 Post by cinemaguild » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:28 pm

We sincerely understand everyone's frustration. But the primary reason we are not releasing NORTE on blu-ray is simply that the costs are too prohibitive. We do not want to release an inferior product, and due to the film's running time, the cost for us to produce a proper Blu-ray would be the equivalent of two, if not three, separate Blu-ray releases.

However, we remain committed to putting out our titles on Blu-ray, and expect to release more this year and next.

warren oates

#516 Post by warren oates » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:31 pm

Will there ben an HD download available for purchase? Is there any way to see NORTE in the best available resolution and still support Cinema Guild?

cinemaguild

#517 Post by cinemaguild » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:39 pm

Yes, indeed! And thank you! NORTE will be available in HD on iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/norte ... d913739900) as well as other online platforms.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#518 Post by swo17 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:52 pm

Well, I only do discs, and I consider New Wave just as worthy of a label to support as CG, but I'll gladly still support your label in the future. Just don't take this loss of a sale as a lack of interest in this kind of cinema!

cinemaguild

#519 Post by cinemaguild » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:18 pm

New Wave is an excellent label, and like any that releases art-house titles anywhere in the world, is definitely worthy of support.

SpiderBaby

#520 Post by SpiderBaby » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:09 pm

swo17 wrote:Well this is easy--If CG wants my money, they will put it out on Blu-ray as well. Otherwise, I'll just import New Wave's release from the UK.
Sadly this. It's the release I have been waiting for and everyone on their Facebook wall made sure to speak up on wanting a blu-ray release when news was first released they picked it up. Lame.

How long ago was this decided, as everyone expressed desire for a blu-ray release of this film, not so much with every other movie CG is releasing soon. Which brings me to this, will Stray Dogs NOT have a blu-ray release too?

SpiderBaby

#521 Post by SpiderBaby » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:09 pm

cinemaguild wrote:We sincerely understand everyone's frustration. But the primary reason we are not releasing NORTE on blu-ray is simply that the costs are too prohibitive. We do not want to release an inferior product, and due to the film's running time, the cost for us to produce a proper Blu-ray would be the equivalent of two, if not three, separate Blu-ray releases.

However, we remain committed to putting out our titles on Blu-ray, and expect to release more this year and next.
Just trying to think of an idea,

Any interest in a 'limited deluxe' blu-ray where you could charge $50-60, make a cool digipak package just to give it eye candy and that way, you can sell it for the cost of '2 separate blu-ray releases'? Making a limited run would be wise, and you can set the price. I would support that with a pre-order.

FrauBlucher

#522 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:14 pm

SpiderBaby wrote:
cinemaguild wrote:We sincerely understand everyone's frustration. But the primary reason we are not releasing NORTE on blu-ray is simply that the costs are too prohibitive. We do not want to release an inferior product, and due to the film's running time, the cost for us to produce a proper Blu-ray would be the equivalent of two, if not three, separate Blu-ray releases.

Just trying to think of an idea,

Any interest in a 'limited deluxe' blu-ray where you could charge $50-60, make a cool digipak package just to give it eye candy and that way, you can sell it for the cost of '2 separate blu-ray releases'? Making a limited run would be wise, and you can set the price. I would support that with a pre-order.
I will second this idea and would be quick to pre-order for this special film.

FerdinandGriffon

#523 Post by FerdinandGriffon » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:15 pm

SpiderBaby wrote:How long ago was this decided, as everyone expressed desire for a blu-ray release of this film, not so much with every other movie CG is releasing soon. Which brings me to this, will Stray Dogs NOT have a blu-ray release too?
It seems the problem is the length of the film, which would demand a multi-disc release. Not the case for Stray Dogs.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#524 Post by swo17 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:17 pm

SpiderBaby wrote:Any interest in a 'limited deluxe' blu-ray where you could charge $50-60, make a cool digipak package just to give it eye candy and that way, you can sell it for the cost of '2 separate blu-ray releases'?
I might buy that, but generally, it probably wouldn't sell well to people who can import the UK Blu-ray for under $20.

FrauBlucher

#525 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:27 pm

swo17 wrote:I might buy that, but generally, it probably wouldn't sell well to people who can import the UK Blu-ray for under $20.
Unless the PQ is not up to par on the New Wave edition. I will wait for the reviews before I place my order.