It is currently Mon May 04, 2015 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cinelicious Pics
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:24 pm 

Cinelicious Pics, which launched earlier this year, have announced that they're going to restore Eiichi Yamamoto's Belladonna of Sadness from the original camera negative with a view to releasing it theatrically and on home video in 2015. More info here

Post subject: Re: Cinelicious Pics
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:23 pm 

Wonderful news. Has there even been a subtitled DVD release before? There's so much classic anime that deserves new state of the art presentations and/or English localisations, and that really belong with the art house labels as opposed to the anime distributors (who are often inept in the extreme at bringing titles to home video) that I hope this is the beginning of many such releases, and for other labels to follow in Cinelicious's footsteps.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:40 am 

EddieLarkin wrote:
Wonderful news. Has there even been a subtitled DVD release before? There's so much classic anime that deserves new state of the art presentations and/or English localisations, and that really belong with the art house labels as opposed to the anime distributors (who are often inept in the extreme at bringing titles to home video) that I hope this is the beginning of many such releases, and for other labels to follow in Cinelicious's footsteps.

I agree, too many of the anime distributors in the U.S. are more about the latest trends than quality control. I think out of all of them, Discotek is currently the best at re-releasing classic anime films, but most of their stuff is still DVD-only. I'd love for somebody to restore and release Angel's Egg someday.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:51 pm 

Cinelicious will be releasing Agnès Varda's Kung-Fu Master and Jane B. by Agnès V. later this year.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:53 pm 

If my procrastination with buying the Varda box ultimately yields a BD of these, my entire deferred approach to life will be officially validated.