Mondo Vision

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Raymond Marble

Re: Mondo Vision

#551 Post by Raymond Marble » Wed May 21, 2014 3:21 pm

Purely by coincidence for the past couple of weeks I've been hovering around buying The Important Thing is to Love, but I've been broke and I'm blind-buying the movie, so I haven't actually placed the order yet as it hasn't been terribly high priority. I went back to toufaan today, and the limited edition is listed at $45; I could swear that two weeks ago or so it was more like $32. Can anyone confirm this? I wonder if that means I should jump on it now before it disappears entirely or goes up in price more, or if I should wait for the price to go down again. Do those of you who've dealt with the company more than me have any insights into the way they handle pricing like this? Should I expect the price to change one way or the other again soon, or am I maybe just remembering the price incorrectly in the first place?

Mathew2468

#552 Post by Mathew2468 » Wed May 21, 2014 4:30 pm

It was $32. Maybe they raised the price because Possession will bring them more customers.

goldensours

#553 Post by goldensours » Wed May 21, 2014 4:58 pm

Yeah, with all of the extra traffic Possession is bringing them I wouldn't expect it to go back down in price anytime soon (if at all). Though the $44.99 price is the list price, so it won't go up any more than that either. I don't know how much drift over Toufann is getting for the other releases, but I'd assume it is enough to bring the price back up, which could also indicate they are finally running out of their stock.

JonathanK

#554 Post by JonathanK » Wed May 21, 2014 6:07 pm

swo17 wrote:It looks like pre-orders for Possession are already shipping.
Wow, mine was shipped!! That's 3 weeks ahead of the release date :D

David M.

#555 Post by David M. » Wed May 21, 2014 7:18 pm

I can confirm they're shipping - doesn't seem real. This was one of the first BDs I ever authored but about 40+ other discs of mine have appeared before it!

asmodeux17

#556 Post by asmodeux17 » Wed May 21, 2014 10:27 pm

I received my shipping confirmation for the limited edition version. I honestly can't wait. David, could you tell us what the next Mondo Vision title will be? I see that both "The Silver Globe" and "The Blue Note" are listed as "In Production".

David M.

#557 Post by David M. » Thu May 22, 2014 1:26 am

Now, that's a question :)

I don't know exactly which of those it will be, but both are in production. Honestly, the answer probably depends on which of the rightsholders works with Mondo Vision first. We do have a treasure trove of interviews shot for them both... one of which is surely the last interview ever given by Marie-France Pisier (RIP).

Since there are releases of those films already, I advised Mondo Vision to push for better masters. That's doubly important now that BD is part of the equation. That is one reason why Possession took so long to materialize (when I saw the first version, which was, shall we say, "creatively re-imagined", I wanted to punch the wall).

One thing I can state with certainty is that seeing those other titles on BD depends on Possession selling well - although I'd imagine that's fairly obvious. MV have told me they need to recoup some of the huge expense involved with this before they can manufacture anything else.

JimmyTango

#558 Post by JimmyTango » Fri May 23, 2014 4:38 am

While waiting on better masters of Silver Globe & Blue Note to materialize it makes sense to put into production Boris Godunov since it's the only Zulawski along with the shorts unavialable in any home media release. But then again as it concerns Godunov I'm unfamiliar with the logistics and print quality Mondo Vision has received.

David M.

#559 Post by David M. » Fri May 23, 2014 1:44 pm

There's no master of Boris Godunov. I think the only print that's occasionally wheeled out for festival screenings is beat-up and has subtitles lasered into it.

It will need a proper new scan and cleanup job (let's use the overused "restoration" phrase if the materials are in bad enough shape). Which relies on getting access to them. I think there's some debate as to who owns the rights and perhaps even where the materials are.

EddieLarkin

#560 Post by EddieLarkin » Fri May 23, 2014 1:53 pm

Are My Nights Are More Beautiful Than Your Days and Fidelity completely off the table? They're the only two Zulawski films not listed as future releases on Mondo's website. Though I understand everything is a bit of a long shot at the moment; I'm praying that Possession sells well enough!

Mathew2468

#561 Post by Mathew2468 » Fri May 23, 2014 1:56 pm

Someone on Bluray.com said that Mondo said that the Limited Editions are outselling the Specials 10 to 1. A good sign.

Calvin

#562 Post by Calvin » Fri May 23, 2014 1:59 pm

While I can't justify buying the Mondo release of Possession when I already have the Second Sight Blu-Ray, I do hope that it sells well enough to justify Blu-Ray releases of other Zulawski films - On the Silver Globe and Third Part of the Night especially. Would Mondo consider upgrading any of their existing releases, using Kickstarter perhaps?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#563 Post by swo17 » Fri May 23, 2014 2:01 pm

Mathew2468 wrote:Someone on Bluray.com said that Mondo said that the Limited Editions are outselling the Specials 10 to 1. A good sign.
Unless they've only sold 10 limiteds and one special...

Mathew2468

#564 Post by Mathew2468 » Fri May 23, 2014 2:03 pm

I don't know, lots of people over there say they ordered the SE.

JonathanK

#565 Post by JonathanK » Fri May 23, 2014 3:52 pm

swo17 wrote:
Mathew2468 wrote:Someone on Bluray.com said that Mondo said that the Limited Editions are outselling the Specials 10 to 1. A good sign.
Unless they've only sold 10 limiteds and one special...
That ratio seems pretty normal in the first few days, die-hard fans are the ones that go first and for the most part they will go for the LE especially if they already own the previous Limited Editions. After the first week or so, the numbers reverse and you end up with more people ordering the SE. I think when Mondo decided on the Limited #, they knew it wouldn't sell out in a month or two. It will most likely be up for sale for some time before it completely sells out, but who knows, I am just speculating! I just hope they sell enough in order to continue.

JonathanK

#566 Post by JonathanK » Fri May 23, 2014 4:03 pm

David M. wrote:I can confirm they're shipping - doesn't seem real. This was one of the first BDs I ever authored but about 40+ other discs of mine have appeared before it!
Congratulations David! You did an amazing job on previous Mondo Vision DVDs. I think it's a pity that people overlook their DVD editions just because they are not Blu-ray. The film-like transfers of Public Woman and L'amour braque for example are out of this world, I swear in some parts I couldn't tell I was watching a DVD. Can't wait to finally re-watch Possession in all its glory.

Are those actual menu shots? They look really nice!

goldensours

#567 Post by goldensours » Fri May 23, 2014 6:50 pm

Calvin wrote:Would Mondo consider upgrading any of their existing releases, using Kickstarter perhaps?
The existing DVDs they've released look absolutely fantastic. I'd much rather they continue to focus on giving Zulawski's other films the stunning releases they deserve than to use the time/money/manpower to go back and re-do the previous releases. The day I get to hold one of their limited edition versions of Silver Globe will be a momentous day.

dad1153

#568 Post by dad1153 » Mon May 26, 2014 4:55 am

The Projection Booth's latest podcast: "Possession." This was done independently of the Mondo Vision release (which isn't even mentioned) so talk about timely. :)

Jean-Luc Garbo

#569 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Tue May 27, 2014 7:18 pm

Mine arrived today and they packed the LE very well for Media Mail. Cardboard box about an inch bigger than the size of the LE packaging with packing peanuts jammed into the top and bottom of the box to keep it safely secure. Thanks to David M's posts about the overall quality, I'm pretty sure this can wait a day before I watch it but this is clearly a labor of love worth every dollar.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#570 Post by swo17 » Tue May 27, 2014 9:19 pm

Ha, this thing might actually be too nice. It looks sort of ridiculous mixed in with my other DVDs.

impossiblefunky

#571 Post by impossiblefunky » Tue May 27, 2014 10:42 pm

dad1153 wrote:The Projection Booth's latest podcast: "Possession." This was done independently of the Mondo Vision release (which isn't even mentioned) so talk about timely. :)
Hope you dug the podcast!

Adam X

#572 Post by Adam X » Wed May 28, 2014 8:41 am

swo17 wrote:Ha, this thing might actually be too nice. It looks sort of ridiculous mixed in with my other DVDs.

I got this in the mail today, and your right. It even makes Mondo Vision's earlier Limited Edition's look cheap in comparison.
For those concerned over the extra cost, you'll understand why when you see the beautiful packing for youself.
Cannot wait to actually watch the film again.

Oh, and beautiful box aside, the booklet was really nicely designed too, with copious writing on Possession amongst some beautiful stills from the film.
This release was truly worth the wait.

EddieLarkin

#573 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed May 28, 2014 8:49 am

Mine arrived in the U.K today, in perfect condition. Only 5 working days! And no customs, as per usual.

I agree that they've really perfected the design this go around. I preferred the harder box design of L'important c'est d'aimer and La femme publique over the velvet cases of L'amour braque and Szamanka, but Possession is basically a heftier combination of the two, and is a real beauty. I really hope they stick with this design for any future releases.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#574 Post by swo17 » Wed May 28, 2014 10:34 am

Also magnets. More boxes need to use magnets. (Unless they end up erasing all the data on my other DVDs. 8-[ )

What A Disgrace

#575 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed May 28, 2014 10:57 am

You can thank sleep deprivation for the $65 I spent on this. It also looks really lovely.