Lionsgate: Angelique Collection

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Perkins Cobb

Lionsgate: Angelique Collection

#1 Post by Perkins Cobb » Thu May 01, 2008 12:59 pm

Five films, all directed by Bernard Borderie and starring Michele Mercier & Robert Hossein:

ANGELIQUE
ANGELIQUE: ROAD TO VERSAILLES
ANGELIQUE AND THE KING
UNTAMABLE ANGELIQUE
ANGELIQUE AND THE SULTAN

Released on April 29 and not getting much attention. What ARE these things? I'd never heard of them or their director. French popular cinema, obviously, but are they any fun?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 01, 2008 1:32 pm

What in the world... Who is minding the store over at Lionsgate?

Perkins Cobb

#3 Post by Perkins Cobb » Thu May 01, 2008 6:06 pm

It might be hopelessly unhip in a sense, but I'm not going to complain about any '60s foreign film release that gets the aspect ratio & audio right (which appeared to be the case from my quick scan of the case; it looked like English subtitles and an English dub were included for each film).

It's getting to be fun watching Lionsgate running laps around Eclipse with all these little boxes.

Rufus T. Firefly

#4 Post by Rufus T. Firefly » Thu May 01, 2008 8:26 pm

The various on-line sites selling this set give the impression that only English dubs are provided. No mention of the original French soundtracks. Lionsgate's own website is no help in clearing this confusion up.

J Wilson

#5 Post by J Wilson » Thu May 01, 2008 10:31 pm

Judging from the gushing reviews on Amazon (US and UK) and IMDB, this series certainly has its fans. They sound like good time junk historical stuff, if the reviews are anything to go by.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#6 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sat May 03, 2008 2:21 am

Beaver

The French audio is there, along with English dubs -- but amusingly, the menus are only in French. I like to imagine someone slamming the remote against the armrest and screaming "'Scènes'?!?!? What the hell is 'Scènes' supposed to mean??!!"

And "How many bodices are you wearing?" may well be the Most Perfect Line Ever.

Cabiria21

#7 Post by Cabiria21 » Sat May 03, 2008 3:29 am

Finally, a box set made for the facial gash fetish crowd.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#8 Post by domino harvey » Sat May 03, 2008 4:10 am

Angry crowds of raincoat-clad males were heard to say upon exiting the theatre, "Those weren't the slits we paid to see!"

HerrSchreck

#9 Post by HerrSchreck » Sat May 03, 2008 4:19 am

Probly a buncha horny rastas looking for Ari-up..

J Wilson

#10 Post by J Wilson » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:47 pm

Remarkably, my Costco had this (along with the Lionsgate Sophia Loren set) for $26, for anyone interested.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#11 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:04 pm

Actually, this looks like fun. Can anyone here comment who has seen them?

Foulard

#12 Post by Foulard » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:57 pm

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:Actually, this looks like fun. Can anyone here comment who has seen them?
They're pretty entertaining, if you enjoy old mainstream schlock movies (I do). I zipped through the whole set over a long holiday weekend. The first two or three are best, especially with the lush French location shooting and period costumes. The plots are fairly ridiculous, but diverting. The last two, which take place at sea and in a sultan's harem and the desert, are a bit more dreary and don't give Angelique much to do besides be a victim.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#13 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:14 pm

Foulard wrote:
Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:Actually, this looks like fun. Can anyone here comment who has seen them?
They're pretty entertaining, if you enjoy old mainstream schlock movies (I do). I zipped through the whole set over a long holiday weekend. The first two or three are best, especially with the lush French location shooting and period costumes. The plots are fairly ridiculous, but diverting. The last two, which take place at sea and in a sultan's harem and the desert, are a bit more dreary and don't give Angelique much to do besides be a victim.
I thought they'd be like that so this is good news! I surely hope that a desert and a harem aren't that boring, but I'll give these a try. I'm jonesing for a fix and I've been needing a schlocky French film to scratch it. By the way, the facial gash crowd a la Ballard's Crash is probably not going to have much time for these films if Ballad protags are what they usually are. :)

Haggai

#14 Post by Haggai » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:30 pm

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:The French audio is there, along with English dubs -- but amusingly, the menus are only in French. I like to imagine someone slamming the remote against the armrest and screaming "'Scènes'?!?!? What the hell is 'Scènes' supposed to mean??!!"
Or maybe, "All I want to do is get back to watching the movie, but I all I see is an option for 'Le Film,' WTF is that?!"