Mr. Bongo Films

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
PillowRock

#26 Post by PillowRock » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:58 pm

foggy eyes wrote:the Mr. Bongo disc is up for pre-order at HMV for only £6.99 (surely a misprice), it's got to be worth it!
Amazon.uk is also selling it for 6.98 pounds, although the two sites show "list" prices that are different by about 80% (9.99 at HMV vs. 17.99 at Amazon.uk).

stephan73

#27 Post by stephan73 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:35 am

Both Identification of a Woman and L'Avventura are up for pre-order. Artwork is awfull!

ellipsis7

#28 Post by ellipsis7 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:00 pm

L'AVVENTURA artwork is an abstraction of an original Italian poster, while IDENTIFICATION OF A WOMAN appears to have a pair of female buttocks, unidentified certainly till you view the film!.... The latter far too stated for an Antonioni film, but maybe Mr Bongo hope to pick up on a different market...

This sort of thing more suitable...

stephan73

#29 Post by stephan73 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:57 pm

Mr. Bongo mentions Black God White Devil and Memories of Underdevelopment as coming soon!

Awesome Welles

#30 Post by Awesome Welles » Thu May 01, 2008 9:41 am

Those were reported earlier. Though based on Mr. Bongo's track record one can't really hold much help despite many of their releases being 'essentials'. Such a shame, we can only hope these titles will be released in other territories. Come on CC let's have a Memories of Underdevelopment!

ptmd

#31 Post by ptmd » Thu May 01, 2008 11:59 am

Come on CC let's have a Memories of Underdevelopment!
Memories of Underdevelopment is definitely a New Yorker title. They still have both non-theatrical and video rights (along with 16mm and 35mm prints). I know they've been talking about putting it on DVD for a while but nothing's come of that so far. Still, it's almost certain to make it out eventually but whether or not it will be better than the Mr. Bongo release is an open question.

jsteffe

#32 Post by jsteffe » Thu May 01, 2008 2:51 pm

ptmd wrote:Memories of Underdevelopment is definitely a New Yorker title.
New Yorker just put out Alea's THE LAST SUPPER, and they've been talking about doing Humberto Solas' LUCIA.

In the meantime, ICAIC has released a very nice DVD of MEMORIES OF UNDERDEVELOPMENT, with English subtitles, NTSC region-free. If you don't live in the U.S. you can even order it directly from Cuba, along with some other Cuban films. The ICAIC edition looks quite a bit better than the edition from Zafra in Mexico.

ellipsis7

#33 Post by ellipsis7 » Fri May 09, 2008 5:04 am

L'AVVENTURA is out... Specs...
DVD9 PAL. Dolby digital.
All regions.
Black & White 1950. Widescreen 1.85:1
Running Times: 143 minutes
Rating: PG
Sub titles: English
Language: Italian
Find it here

luridedith

#34 Post by luridedith » Fri May 09, 2008 7:05 am

stephan73 wrote:Both Identification of a Woman and L'Avventura are up for pre-order. Artwork is awfull!
Our local release (Australian R4) is much, much worse.

Awesome Welles

#35 Post by Awesome Welles » Fri May 09, 2008 7:20 am

ptmd wrote:Memories of Underdevelopment is definitely a New Yorker title.
Yes that's right, I forgot that. Such a shame it would have made a nice CC title, though the seem Cuban wary, which is a great shame as Cuba has so much to offer. I didn't like The Last Supper as much, the second act, comprising entirely of 'the last supper' is a little too long but a good movie nonetheless.

I don't know how Mr. Bongo are managing to acquire all these great titles let's hope they don't mess any more up, I'm vainly hoping that Black God, White Devil will be a good release.

ellipsis7

#36 Post by ellipsis7 » Sat May 10, 2008 5:48 am

And IDENTIFICATION OF A WOMAN (WS also) coming now at earlier date of May 19th

rollotomassi

#37 Post by rollotomassi » Tue May 13, 2008 5:29 pm

Believe me, that'll be an error, amazon do it all the time. Virtually nothing gets brought forward and if it does L'Avventura would be, too. It'll be end of June...

ellipsis7

#38 Post by ellipsis7 » Tue May 13, 2008 5:40 pm

Actually it ain't, cos David the numero uno @ Mr Bongo just emailed me to say IDENTIFICATION OF A WOMAN & L'AVVENTURA are in stock & available in their own online store right now , and are obviously entered into the supply lines to other stores such as Amazon, who also have just e-mailed to say it will despatch 19th or 20th May.... Mr Bongo shopfront

MichaelB

#39 Post by MichaelB » Wed May 14, 2008 9:26 am

I've seen checkdiscs of the two new Mr Bongo Antonionis, and they're a very pleasant surprise after the lacklustre Cronaca di un amore - they're completely barebones, but the transfers are anamorphic and sourced from very clean prints (1.75:1 for L'Avventura, 1.85:1 for Identification) and the subtitles are optional.

That said, L'Avventura can't possibly compete with the Criterion for extras, but it's a fair bit cheaper - massively so if you go for the HMV offer (which I'd definitely recommend)!
Last edited by MichaelB on Sat May 17, 2008 1:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

John Hodson

#40 Post by John Hodson » Wed May 14, 2008 11:48 am

Mr Bongo's dedicated site for The Saragossa Manuscript

bigP

#41 Post by bigP » Sat May 17, 2008 1:02 pm

PillowRock wrote:
foggy eyes wrote:the Mr. Bongo disc is up for pre-order at HMV for only £6.99 (surely a misprice), it's got to be worth it!
Amazon.uk is also selling it for 6.98 pounds, although the two sites show "list" prices that are different by about 80% (9.99 at HMV vs. 17.99 at Amazon.uk).
Same goes with both L'Avventura and Identification of a Woman for those who are interested in jumping on the £6.99 pre-order (bargain) price at HMV. Amazon have both movies up at a sickening £13.49 (staying well within the boundaries of their £1.24 shipping price on all items under £15.00) whilst HMV offer, as alway's, free delivery to-boot.

pro-bassoonist

#42 Post by pro-bassoonist » Mon May 19, 2008 9:12 pm

Michael,

Could confirm whether or not the IOW disc is progressive?

Thanks,
Dr.A

MichaelB

#43 Post by MichaelB » Tue May 20, 2008 2:09 am

pro-bassoonist wrote:Could confirm whether or not the IOW disc is progressive?
With the caveat that I only have a DVD-R checkdisc, so it may not necessarily reflect the final retail version, the answer appears to be yes - I've just stepped through a couple of sequences and there's no sign of any interlacing.

ellipsis7

#44 Post by ellipsis7 » Tue May 20, 2008 4:26 am

Just to say the Amazon release date has now indeed been pushed back to June 30, however as I posted above, the two Antonioni discs are available right now from the online shop on the MrBongo website itself - my IDENTIFICAZIONE DI UNA DONNA shipped yesterday....

Awesome Welles

#45 Post by Awesome Welles » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:46 pm

In the BFI Southbank guide I received today Mr Bongo's ad shows the same clunky cover art style Mr Bongo has been doing so well lately for Black God, White Devil and Memories of Underdevlopment both dated as October releases. The ad also mentions The Hour Glass Sanitorium by Wojciech Has, Lucia by Umberto Solas and Strawberry and Chocolate by Tomas Guttierez Alea as coming soon. An exciting line up, let's hope they're more The Saragossa Manuscript and less The Adversary...

stephan73

#46 Post by stephan73 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:06 am

Trailer for Memories of Underdevelopment is online at Mr. Bongo's Youtube channel!

Play.com has preorders for both Black God, White Deviland Memories of Underdevelopment!

Don Lope de Aguirre

#47 Post by Don Lope de Aguirre » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:19 am

Play.com has preorders for both Black God, White Devil and Memories of Underdevelopment!
Why does anyone care about this Glauber Rocha release? Just buy the Brazilian DVD which will, no doubt, be infinitely superior...

Awesome Welles

#48 Post by Awesome Welles » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:30 pm

Because having put off buying the Brazilian release due to its price one can always hope that Mr Bongo don't mess this up and the release is less than a third of the price.

MichaelB

#49 Post by MichaelB » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:32 pm

FSimeoni wrote:Because having put off buying the Brazilian release due to its price one can always hope that Mr Bongo don't mess this up and the release is less than a third of the price.
They've significantly raised their game since their initial releases - The Saragossa Manuscript wasn't bad at all, and the two recent Antonionis, while barebones, offered excellent value for money. The Criterion L'Avventura is clearly superior, but scarcely "infinitely", and you pay for the difference!

tryavna

#50 Post by tryavna » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:17 pm

Don Lope de Aguirre wrote:
Play.com has preorders for both Black God, White Devil and Memories of Underdevelopment!
Why does anyone care about this Glauber Rocha release? Just buy the Brazilian DVD which will, no doubt, be infinitely superior...
Apart from price, as FSimeoni points out, the Brazilian DVD also doesn't include subs for any of the interesting-looking extras. I believe that all the other, later Brazilian DVDs of Rocha's films have subs for everything, but not for Black God White Devil, sadly.