Brentwood

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Scharphedin2

#1 Post by Scharphedin2 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:22 pm

Following on from the threads on Alpha and VCI, here is another prolific label specializing in public domain titles, wrestling, horror and anime.

I have yet to go through their catalogue more systematically, but I am very curious about their release WWII: The Ultimate Collection. It is a 10-disc set, including 30 World War II documentaries, amongst them all of John Huston's war documentaries, Wyler's Memphis Belle, Ford & Tolland's December 7th, Stevens' Nazi Concentration Camps (which was produced to be shown at the Nuremberg trials), etc. It sounds like a great collection of material, even if the print and transfer quality is below par.

Does anyone own this set, or any other Brentwood releases? Please post your impressions.

balzer

#2 Post by balzer » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:42 pm

I don't know about Brentwood.

I have a friend, seriously a friend, who loves to buy the 4 pack horror movie sets that are of the worst quality possible. Made in the 80s on VHS and show ketchup and bad acting with some nudity, of course. Go to best buy in the horror section and you will see them.

Most of these are Brentwood releases. Terrible packaging, terrible product, nothing good at all.

Matt

Re: Brentwood

#3 Post by Matt » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:29 pm

Make of this what you will, but Brentwood has announced a couple of Shaw Brothers films for Blu-ray release in January:

Life Gamble [Blu-Ray]
Opium And The Kung-Fu Master [Blu-Ray]

Apparently licensed from Celestial, so they may actually look okay.

Paul Moran

Re: Brentwood

#4 Post by Paul Moran » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:39 pm

I've got their release of "One-Eyed Jacks". Surprisingly good, IMO, considering the low price, single layer DVD (for runtime 140:55 movie!) and non-anamorphic presentation. There's a review here.

In fact, it was my positive experience with "One-Eyed Jacks" that prompted me to go for their "Legends of the West: Eight Movie Collection" in preference to one of their PD competitors. (The cover actually says BCI, but I'm pretty sure they are part of the Brentwood group). And what a disappointment it was: 8 films on two DVD-10 discs; poor source material; low bit rates; cropped 4:3 versions of OAR 2.35:1 films. And to cap it all, the film for which I bought the set - "China 9, Liberty 37" - turned out to be some appalling version prepared for TV, with all the strong language and sexual scenes edited out!