Mondo Macabro

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Adam X

Re: Mondo Macabro

#51 Post by Adam X » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:02 pm

That's fine - discussion of a film's music often seems to get forgotten so it's always good to see something included here. Given Pete Tombs' two books, I always thought it would've been nice to have the on disc film notes in a booklet instead, so this makes for a welcome addition; and it's nice to have the ltd ltd edition being a little more special than just a different case.

Jared A.

#52 Post by Jared A. » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:18 pm

Coming Soon

Adam X

#53 Post by Adam X » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:48 am

I do like the tagline.

Adam X

#54 Post by Adam X » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:34 am

Limited DVD-R's of The Blood Rose & Born of Fire are currently available from Diabolik DVD if anyone's interested in avoiding ebay prices.

(Actually, scratch that, looks like they've already sold out.)

Jared A.

#55 Post by Jared A. » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:47 pm

Adam Grikepelis wrote:Limited DVD-R's of The Blood Rose & Born of Fire are currently available from Diabolik DVD if anyone's interested in avoiding ebay prices.

(Actually, scratch that, looks like they've already sold out.)
We'll have some for sale at the MM store soon.

Perkins Cobb

#56 Post by Perkins Cobb » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:53 pm

Adam Grikepelis wrote:I do like the tagline.
"It was a tango. It was perverted. Tango of Perversion!"

PfR73

#57 Post by PfR73 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:21 pm

Question for Jared from Mondo Macabro: Every time I've checked the store to try & order The Fan, it's happened to be down. Are there any copies of the limited edition left?

Jared A.

#58 Post by Jared A. » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:16 am

PfR73 wrote:Question for Jared from Mondo Macabro: Every time I've checked the store to try & order The Fan, it's happened to be down. Are there any copies of the limited edition left?
Sorry about that. We're just down for a few days to sort out some things. We do have copies of the red case edition of THE FAN. We'll also have the first ever official t-shirts available. Check back early next week at the latest. We appreciate your patience.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#59 Post by domino harvey » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:51 pm

I want to commend Mondo Macabro for their release of Der Fan. I've been burned lately by a lot of other niche labels putting out fringe films that frankly don't merit all the attention given once you actually see the movie, but this one is a real out of nowhere stunner. An observant teen film for the first two acts and then an incomparable descent into bizarre and deeply disturbing eroticism in the last third as the consumptive nature of pop idolization becomes literal, with a great soundtrack (I hope you like it, because the same three songs play over and over for the first hour) and keen visuals. Highly recommended, especially if it is a limited release, as it's available pretty cheap up on Amazon and BN right now

EddieLarkin

#60 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:05 pm

Yes, I'd heard how good this was and wasn't let down.
SpoilerShow
Though I question an electric bread knife's ability to carve up a human body into a minimum of 5 pieces!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#61 Post by domino harvey » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:19 pm

SpoilerShow
I for one was relieved to learn that coffee grinders could double as human bone grinders, as I'm a big advocate of multipurpose kitchen tools

EddieLarkin

#62 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:32 pm

SpoilerShow
And who knew that the best way to dispose of an adult male's body is to simply feed it to a 90lb teenage girl?
Last edited by EddieLarkin on Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cold Bishop

#63 Post by Cold Bishop » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:33 pm

I haven't seen Der Fan, but I recently saw Schmidt's Alpha City which impressed me. It seems to share this film's icy, morbid "cold wave" style, but applied to a gothic neon-noir. It had me wondering if Nic Refn had seen it, especially in the way our seemingly romantic hero teeters on the edge of psychopathy throughout, and I hope Mondo pursue it if this proves successful.

Perkins Cobb

#64 Post by Perkins Cobb » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:05 pm

So this will be a good one to watch during dinner some night, it sounds like.

PfR73

#65 Post by PfR73 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:09 pm

Jared A. wrote:
PfR73 wrote:Question for Jared from Mondo Macabro: Every time I've checked the store to try & order The Fan, it's happened to be down. Are there any copies of the limited edition left?
Sorry about that. We're just down for a few days to sort out some things. We do have copies of the red case edition of THE FAN. We'll also have the first ever official t-shirts available. Check back early next week at the latest. We appreciate your patience.
That's OK, I know it was just bad timing. I was busy with some acting work & the SXSW Film Festival when the site must have gone back up. When that was done, I finally remembered to check the site & it happened to be down again.

Anyway, it all worked out, I was able to place my order, which is now on its way to me! Looking forward to seeing the film.

John Doe

#66 Post by John Doe » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:19 am

A Lizard in a Woman’s Skin is coming to blu-ray later this year

L.A.

#67 Post by L.A. » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:33 pm

John Doe wrote:A Lizard in a Woman’s Skin is coming to blu-ray later this year
Details.

carmilla mircalla

#68 Post by carmilla mircalla » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:33 pm

Finally! Thanks for posting that link. That reverse cover is so great

L.A.

#69 Post by L.A. » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:09 pm

Ashirg

#70 Post by Ashirg » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:27 am

In conjunction with BFI's release, Mondo Macabro is releasing José Ramón Larraz's Symptoms. No date is set yet, but it should be around the same time as BFI's disc. Here's the press release:
For years only viewable as a blurry bootleg derived from an early 80s British TV broadcast, this haunting thriller can now be seen as it was intended with a brand new HD transfer of the recently discovered negatives. It’s taken us more than 15 years of searching and negotiating to get here, but with the indispensable assistance of the BFI we can finally bring this film to the world on Blu-ray and DVD.

Symptoms is an intense and claustrophobic study of a woman’s descent into madness and murder. Made in the same years as Larraz’s better known Vampyres with much of the same crew and a similar vibe, Symptoms is more atmospheric and ambiguous, and less exploitative. But it casts a powerful spell and is perhaps the most potent example of director Jose Larraz’s unique style.

Starring Angela Pleasance (From Beyond the Grave) in what is probably her best ever role, Symptoms is a film whose time has finally come. After premiering at the 1974 Cannes Film Festival as the official UK entry and a brief theatrical run, the film sank into almost complete obscurity until being rescued from oblivion by books like Tohill and Tombs’ Immoral Tales and the ever-diligent video underground. With this stunning new blu ray release Symptoms can now be seen as the masterpiece of 70s horror that it truly is.

Mondo Macabro’s Blu-ray and DVD releases will be out in early spring, and will include the following extras:

- The 2011 documentary on Jose Larraz, ON VAMPYRES AND OTHER SYMPTOMS
- FROM BARCELONA to TUNBRIDGE WELLS, a 1999 TV documentary on Larraz, part of the EUROTIKA! series
- New interviews with stars Angela Pleasence and Lorna Heilbron and editor Brian Smedley-Aston

The retail version of this release will be preceded by a limited, numbered version (500 copies only) with exclusive extras, only available through our webstore MondoMacabro.BigCartel.com

Jared A.

#71 Post by Jared A. » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:22 pm

Coming soon to DVD ...

In this surreal retelling of the ancient myth of the Medusa, bizarre, clothed statues of men are appearing all over Greece. Only Perseus, the leader of a gang of modern Athenian thieves, holds the answer to the mystery. It has something to do with a beautiful, long-haired women in black who is connected with his troubled childhood. One night his gang breaks into a deserted house in the countryside looking for goods to steal. What they find is entirely unexpected and leads Perseus on a dangerous journey into his past.

Medousa is one of the very few attempts to make a modern Greek horror film. Its intriguing plot unfolds in a surprising and yet entirely logical way, creating a memorably atmospheric thriller that reworks familiar myths into an original and highly personal narrative.

Mondo Macabro are very proud to be presenting for the first time on US video this overlooked gem of genre cinema. The film was screened at a number of international festivals and won a prize at World-Fest Houston in 1998. It’s a film ripe for rediscovery and this long overdue release announces the re-emergence of a unique film making talent.

SPECIAL DVD FEATURES
Interview with writer/director George Lazopoulos
Interview with lead actor Thanos Amorginos
Extensive background notes
Trailer
Newly created optional subtitles
Mondo Macabro previews
Newly commissioned artwork by Gilles Vranckx

https://vimeo.com/154745840" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pre-order: http://mondomacabro.bigcartel.com/product/medousa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Adam X

#72 Post by Adam X » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:54 pm

Looking forward to this, and Symptoms too! Mondo certainly seem to've gotten a second wind in the last year or two.
Hopefully you guys are still releasing The Spider/Zirneklis? That one sounds promising, and somewhat unique.

**COUGH**snakesisters**COUGH**

Jared A.

#73 Post by Jared A. » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:32 pm

We're still trying to get a good master to use for SPIDER. It's taken a lot of trial and error. Hopefully we'll have that sorted soon and we can do that one sometime in the fall, maybe.

SNAKE SISTERS is another story entirely. All I can say is: don't hold your breath.

Adam X

#74 Post by Adam X » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:00 pm

Fingers crossed for Spider! I guess it's the downside to running a label like Mondo.

...and yeah, I used to think all the talk of Snake Sisters online was actually about the wonderful Silip, until I saw the great trailer on an earlier disc. It's unfortunate, it looks like a very fun film.

DeprongMori

#75 Post by DeprongMori » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:10 pm

Mondo Macabro title "Mystics of Bali" (1981) is getting a screening at the Roxie in San Francisco on Sunday night. Looks like a doozy.

http://www.mondomacabrodvd.com/mod132.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vmhWPvDca8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;