Mondo Macabro

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Cash Flagg

Re: Mondo Macabro

#101 Post by Cash Flagg » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:17 am

Alphonse Tram

#102 Post by Alphonse Tram » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:38 am

Actually, this is just Mondo Macabro selling the Dorado films disc on their site. My mistake!

Cash Flagg

#103 Post by Cash Flagg » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:50 am

Some worrying news about the potential ramifications of the so-far sluggish sales of the Franco set, from the Blu-ray.com forums:
Jared A wrote:honestly, sales have really stalled on this new release, putting this entire big cartel LE enterprise in jeopardy. If this release flops, well, it's certainly not good news for me ...

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#104 Post by tenia » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:27 pm

I'm still quite amazed all these labels are releasing all these Franco movies, to be honest. They probably have their fan bases but I'm still wondering how come they're getting so much visibility. And now, Macabro might put their future in the hands of a Franco LE triple bill ?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#105 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:42 pm

Maybe people finally started watching these horrible Franco movies the boutique labels keep pumping out after buying them unseen and realized "Oh no"

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#106 Post by tenia » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:24 pm

Which would have taken them long enough to realise.

med

#107 Post by med » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:52 pm

tenia wrote:I'm still quite amazed all these labels are releasing all these Franco movies, to be honest. They probably have their fan bases but I'm still wondering how come they're getting so much visibility. And now, Macabro might put their future in the hands of a Franco LE triple bill ?
Reading the thread on the subject—discussion begins here (nearly 50 pages after what was linked to above!)—it doesn't sound as bad as all that. Jared A acknowledges the sluggish sales on the Franco set and that yes, it may be Franco fatigue, but Mondo Macabro isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Cronenfly

#108 Post by Cronenfly » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:42 pm

I wish someone could do a big box of Franco to accompany the Stephen Thrower books. That's my primary angle of interest towards his work at the moment, and I'd be happier with a big set rather than somewhat pricy individual releases/smaller sets. I know the rights situation probably prohibits this, but especially for a director where the body of work is likely of more interest than the individual films, $45 US LEs of a couple of movies aren't a convincing sell, at least not for me.

Alphonse Tram

#109 Post by Alphonse Tram » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:21 am

It's worth noting that the main features in this set have already been released by Mondo Macabro on decent quality DVDs. Add to that a $45 price tag and you can see why this has not flown off the blocks like other MM pre-orders.

I myself have both DVDs and decided I did not want to pay $45 + shipping and import duty for two films in which I could live the SD versions of.
To be clear, I don't think this set is over priced, it's just too much for me pay when I already have these on very good DVDs, and I suspect the same goes for quite a few other Franco/MM fans.

Adam X

#110 Post by Adam X » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:37 am

Likely all that's true, though this does seem to be a case of apparent online interest outstripping people actually buying the release. Their allotment of the Dorado double feature didn't last 24hrs.

For what it's worth, I ordered it! Not entirely sure about these two Franco's but something's drawing me back to 'em. He gets a bad rap from those who find nothing to appreciate, but I personally think he's made some wonderfully dreamlike films. Not all Franco's films are for everyone, but that's never going to be the case with an output in triple figures, especially given the budgets he was working with.

SSF

#111 Post by SSF » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:54 pm

According to their FB page, Vasili Mass' Spider coming to Blu.

furbicide

#112 Post by furbicide » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:17 pm

I just watched Spider the other day, coincidentally – it's a Latvian 'erotic horror' film (erotic because the protagonist takes her clothes off at every possible opportunity and has dreams of fornicating with a giant spider; horror because giant spider!) that alternates between hilariously bad and sometimes actually quite creepy and atmospheric. Some of the visual effects are quite good (notably a Bosch-esque painting coming to life, some interesting playing with light refraction and a dream sequence in which various characters are gruesomely turned into spider food), but the soundtrack is pure Dr Who-style '80s synth all the way through and the acting is mostly awful. Fans of camp 'horror' like Hausu and Valerie and Her Week of Wonders might enjoy (though don't expect anything as beautiful or well-made as the latter).

The version I saw was a blurry TV rip with what sounded like a Russian dub (unless Latvian is so similar to Russian that I can't tell the difference; Latvian is listed as the original language on imdb), so I'm actually kind of interested in seeing the film again in a proper HD transfer. Apparently this release will come with a limited edition booklet, too, and is due out in June or thereabouts.

Alphonse Tram

#113 Post by Alphonse Tram » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:13 am

I'd hardly describe Valerie and Her Week of Wonders as camp horror.

furbicide

#114 Post by furbicide » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:53 pm

I think it certainly has those elements to it. No slight on Valerie, which I think is one of the greatest films ever made. But if you're not laughing at times while watching it, you're watching it wrong.

What A Disgrace

#115 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat May 13, 2017 6:36 pm

They also finally announced Velvet Tail of the Fox. Along with the commentary, it will contain the episode of Eurotika!, "So Sweet, So Perverse".

Does anybody know anything about Bloody Friday?

Adam X

#116 Post by Adam X » Sat May 13, 2017 9:20 pm

I've not seen it myself, but I can direct you to this thread, that had more than enough positive praise in it to convince me to buy a copy. Subkultur do good work too, and this seems to've been a labour of love for them.

Mondo have mentioned they have a deal with them to distribute further US editions of Subkultur's upcoming releases, should they keep selling well.

Also, the ltd versions of The Fox With a Velvet Tail & Spider go up for pre-order at the end of May.

Adam X

#117 Post by Adam X » Tue May 30, 2017 10:20 am

So the above two ltd editions went on sale yesterday.The Fox With a Velvet Tail's already sold out, while Spider has only 5 copies left. Bloody Friday's running low too. Hope these are all going to people who want to watch them, and not just sad ebay scalpers.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#118 Post by tenia » Tue May 30, 2017 10:50 am

It's quite sure you'll see a few pop up on eBay, it's often the case, but it seems these releases sell out to real buyers and are quite "immune" to scalpers. I suppose that the fact the limited elements are of a limited appeal (a red case, a special cover art, a small booklet) limits their scalping potential.

What A Disgrace

#119 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue May 30, 2017 11:07 am

I managed to get both of the new releases, plus Bloody Friday, Night of the Scorpion and the Jose Ramon Larraz double feature.

What A Disgrace

#121 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:21 pm

I'm still waiting on Night of the Scorpion, the Larraz double feature, Spider and Fox With the Velvet Tail to ship.

Cash Flagg

#122 Post by Cash Flagg » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:10 pm

dwk

#123 Post by dwk » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:28 pm

Fulci's One on Top of the Other (aka Perversion Story) Blu-ray coming later this year:
And now for the big one. It’s been awhile since we’ve revealed a “big” new title, but now that it’s already 2018 it’s time to announce … Lucio Fulci’s classic giallo ONE ON TOP OF THE OTHER aka PERVERSION STORY!

We’ve been working on getting this film in our library for some time now and have recently closed the deal. We don’t have many details to share for this one yet, but we can say that other than making its world Blu-ray premiere we are endeavouring to make sure this is the longest, most complete version yet released on home video! Because of that we can only say that this title is “coming soon”, and that it will be done when it’s done. Hopefully sometime in the middle or latter part of this new year.

One other thing we can reveal is that it will feature a brand new cover illustration by Justin Coffee, who did our previous releases NIGHT HAS A THOUSAND DESIRES and FOX WITH A VELVET TAIL. But this will be his best work yet. We can't wait to show it to you!

Lost Highway

#124 Post by Lost Highway » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:59 pm

Looking forward to Who Can Kill a Child ? It’s one the best killer kids movies ever made and a bit like a sun drenched companion piece to Don’t Look Now with a Britsh couple coming unstuck in another country where not speaking the language isolates them even further.

Cinephrenic

#125 Post by Cinephrenic » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:57 am

Nice to see Spanish horror getting attention lately.