New Yorker

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
knives

Re: New Yorker

#601 Post by knives » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:30 pm

Now if only they would sell it under $40 even when discounted.

Murdoch

#602 Post by Murdoch » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:32 pm

I was very confused before I looked at the last page. Great news, and hopefully a sign that there will be other OOP titles being re-released in HD.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#603 Post by domino harvey » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:43 pm

I don't think they ever actually released it on DVD

Murdoch

#604 Post by Murdoch » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:50 pm

Yeah, I think it was just a VHS.

John Edmond

#605 Post by John Edmond » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:08 pm

And it's the same VHS master that will be used for the blu-ray, knowing New Yorker.

knives

#606 Post by knives » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:16 pm

If Kino can change(ish) than hopefully these yahoos can too.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#607 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:21 pm

New Yorker WAS working very diligently on Celine and Julie -- prior to its time of troubles. The intention was to do a first-rate DVD release. Has NYer done any blu-ray releases yet?

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#608 Post by Brian C » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:22 pm

If they're doing the work for a theatrical reissue then certainly the Blu should be decent also...?

John Edmond

#609 Post by John Edmond » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:39 pm

Oh I'm just jibing. But I didn't start giving Kino the benefit of the doubt until after 10 or so great blu-rays.

Gregory

#610 Post by Gregory » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:45 pm

I remember them announcing the DVD a long time ago and then dropping the ball with it more than once after the announcement. I never heard any specific information about them working "diligently" on it before the reorganization, nor that the intention was to do a "first-rate" DVD. Very few of their other releases could be called that. Of course it's always possible Michael heard something I didn't.
Brian C wrote:If they're doing the work for a theatrical reissue then certainly the Blu should be decent also...?
I don't see any necessary connection there. They've long done theatrical and video distribution for the same films and the latter releases have usually been disappointing.
This will be the first release of its kind from "New New Yorker," so hard to predict what will happen.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#611 Post by domino harvey » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:50 pm

I think they paid to fly Rosenbaum to France for a bonus feature, didn't they? Maybe he's referring to that

Jean-Luc Garbo

#612 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:58 pm

Speaking of Rosenbaum, has he commented on this upcoming edition?

Peacock

#613 Post by Peacock » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:33 am

NYer are most likely to fall down on something like yellow subs, MPEG-2, forced subs, small file size, no uncompressed sound etc.... Fingers crossed it'll be good though... doesn't look like BFI are interested in upgrading it anyway.

Ted Todorov

#614 Post by Ted Todorov » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:42 am

Anyone know who got the Eustache rights? NYer no longer lists any of his movies in their website catalog.

As to the coming Celine & Julie Blu-ray, we can only hope, but considering NYers hotmail.com email address from the previous page of this thread, I caution caution.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#615 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:43 pm

From what I recall, the NYer DVD version of Celine and Julie seemed like it would be an upgrade over the UK release. It was going to be based on the same transfer as the French DVD (which was superior) and have considerable more in the way of extras. As to a future Blu-Ray, also keeping my fingers crossed.

And -- Oh for a nice Blu-Ray of Pont du Nord!

Perkins Cobb

#616 Post by Perkins Cobb » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:53 am

Michael Kerpan wrote:It was going to be based on the same transfer as the French DVD (which was superior)
So we're pinning our hopes on New Yorker getting a PAL->NTSC transfer right. Um....

stroszeck

#617 Post by stroszeck » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:58 am

You'd think that over the course of the past several years with Criterion's reputation becoming so great that even many average movie enthusiasts go to it as a source of "alternative" movies, that companies like New Yorker, Koch and even Facets would kick up their game and produce higher quality stuff. Less than a decade ago Criterion was releasing single disc editions of hard to find stuff but today they get their own racks in major B&M stores. You'd think these companies would improve the quality of their output if only to attract more customers and $$$.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#618 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:14 am

Perkins Cobb wrote:So we're pinning our hopes on New Yorker getting a PAL->NTSC transfer right. Um....
No current info on what is being done now vis a vis transfers. Not sure what (if anything) might be going on with regards to any France-originating HD transfer. Just providing some purely historical data. ;~}

But given a choice of a transfer based on the BFI material and one based on the French material, I'd definitely go for the latter. Obviously a nice new HD transfer would be preferable to either.

perkizitore

#619 Post by perkizitore » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:16 am

stroszeck wrote:You'd think that over the course of the past several years with Criterion's reputation becoming so great that even many average movie enthusiasts go to it as a source of "alternative" movies, that companies like New Yorker, Koch and even Facets would kick up their game and produce higher quality stuff. Less than a decade ago Criterion was releasing single disc editions of hard to find stuff but today they get their own racks in major B&M stores. You'd think these companies would improve the quality of their output if only to attract more customers and $$$.
Kino stepped up their game, but you should compare Facets with Second Run and NOT Criterion, since they release mainly obscure films.
Last edited by perkizitore on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

sidehacker

#620 Post by sidehacker » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:04 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
And -- Oh for a nice Blu-Ray of Pont du Nord!
Oh man, imagine the grain in that release.

jbeall

#621 Post by jbeall » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:55 pm

perkizitore wrote:
stroszeck wrote:You'd think that over the course of the past several years with Criterion's reputation becoming so great that even many average movie enthusiasts go to it as a source of "alternative" movies, that companies like New Yorker, Koch and even Facets would kick up their game and produce higher quality stuff. Less than a decade ago Criterion was releasing single disc editions of hard to find stuff but today they get their own racks in major B&M stores. You'd think these companies would improve the quality of their output if only to attract more customers and $$$.
Kino stepped up their game, but Facets should compare themselves with Second Run and NOT Criterion, since they release mainly obscure films.
Facets has gotten marginally better, especially for those of us who remember atrocities like their releases of The Joke and Daisies. At least now the subs aren't scrolling! But Facets on their best day is still miles below Criterion or even Second Run on their worst.

Dadapass

#622 Post by Dadapass » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:25 pm

Moses and Aaron apparently won best special features alongside The Devils(BFI) and Godzilla(Criterion) at Il Cinema Ritrovato DVD Awards. The special features are “Introduction to Arnold Schoenberg’s Accompaniment to a Cinematographic Scene” (1969), a short film by the directors, Optional English subtitles, and a 40-page booklet containing the libretto in German and English, and 2 essays by Michael Gallope and Allen Shawn (English only). The New Yorker Films' page doesn't include the two essays but I've seen it mentioned elsewhere.
Can anyone who has the dvd comment on the image. I can't seem to find any decent reviews of the disc.

ShellOilJunior

#623 Post by ShellOilJunior » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:16 pm

Dadapass wrote:Not sure if this has been mentioned but New Yorker Films will release Celine and Julie Go Boating on Blu-ray Spring 2012.
Close to a year later and no sign of a release.

So it goes...

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#624 Post by swo17 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:05 pm

It's been close to a year since the spring of 2012?

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#625 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:01 pm

swo17 wrote:It's been close to a year since the spring of 2012?
Well, it is getting close to the end of SUMMER 2012. ;~}