The Annotated Kino Catalogue

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Tommaso

#76 Post by Tommaso » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:29 am

Yes, in no way should those deficiencies stop anyone from buying this utterly magnificent film. But this thread is there to point them out. "Shadows" indeed is a rarity, but clearly obscurity here doesn't mean it's a marginal work. Thus it would grace the catalogue of any company doing silents, and considering the release record of the Bfi, with things like "Piccadilly" or "People on Sunday", I won't give up any hope yet.
HerrSchreck wrote: One can only hope & wait.
Amen.

HerrSchreck

#77 Post by HerrSchreck » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:57 am

I hafta hand it to you Tom; your daily public genuine agonies over conversion artifacts and enthusiastic hopes for CC / MoC treatment of all silent films... the size of the enthusiasm is fast making you the Collins boy of Beaverism. You're not saying it as a sort of "secret handshake" with the forum crowd to show that you are discerning and seasoned. I feel your pain (soft Clintonian vocal twang), and look forward to the HD day when all this gets rereleased with no need for preconversion dollars on marginal titles.

HerrSchreck

#78 Post by HerrSchreck » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:35 am

For real world perspective from uninvested & seasoned eyeballs-- DVDTalk on WARNING SHADOWS
Audio/Video:

This film has been restored by Cineteca del Comune di Bologna, the Cinematheque Francaise and the Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau Stiftung using two main sources, an original tinted French print from Cinematheque Francaise, and a dup negative held by the Museum of Modern Art. The editing of the film was based on an examination of all existing prints of the film. Though the French print had intertitles in the film itself, this restoration has left them out as the original German release was title-less.

The full frame black and white tinted image looks good, especially for a film this old. There is still a fair amount of print damage, scratches, spots, and dirt, but that isn't unusual. The contrast is pretty good overall, though some scenes are a bit too bright causing details to be lost in the highlights. The tinting scheme works well and isn't intrusive. Overall a very nice looking film.
Audio-Video Revolution
The Kino print of “Warning Shadowsâ€

Tommaso

#79 Post by Tommaso » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:45 am

I use a normal wide-screen tube TV with native NTSC capability and the player is set to NTSC as well, so no additional conversion is involved. It MAY be a problem of my particular set-up, of course, but then it's not quite explainable for me why it only seems to happen with discs from Kino. The haloing is there, I'm afraid, and I have never seen anything like it on NTSC discs (native or PAL-converted) from other companies.

HerrSchreck

#80 Post by HerrSchreck » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:51 am

I don't want to make this sound too funny Tom-- nor will I jump to conclusions-- but as I cannot find hide nor hair of anything even remotely resembling a "haloing" effect (which shouldn't happen on non-analg transfers) on this... are you positive you're not talking about those shots in the film (there are indeed some of them in WS and HOLY MTN too) where the cameraman is using a gauze filter? You understand of course what I'm talking about and how that causes a slight haloing flare in the lens, right?

Do you know how to post caps tom? Could you tell me which scenes you see these halos if you can't post them?

Ledos

#81 Post by Ledos » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:58 am

The problem with many of these review sites is that they often think Kino is the creme de la creme of silent DVD presentation, that they are often not aware of competing versions of the same movies, and many of them are just not that critical towards picture quality. That neither of these reviews mention ghosting at all (which to me is the most significant and visible of the various problems a digital presentation can have) says something about the review's credibility rather than the unsignificance of the problem. How many times haven't we seen reviews that absolutely praises Kino's Metropolis? How many times haven't we seen praising of other of their DVDs as "the definitive presentation" even if it's a presentation with many problems (and sometimes where even a number of significantly better, competing versions exist)?

All in all, take these reviews with a grain of salt, particularly if they're not mentioning or comparing to competing versions. The latter does of course not apply to Schatten.

Ledos

#82 Post by Ledos » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:02 am

Can't say I noticed any halo effects either - will have to give it another look to see if I can detect the problem Tommaso is talking about. The ghosting was there, however.

HerrSchreck

#83 Post by HerrSchreck » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:25 am

You guys need help. How many times can a continent repeat itself with the same bitching?
Ledos wrote:The problem with many of these review sites is that they often think Kino is the creme de la creme of silent DVD presentation, that they are often not aware of competing versions of the same movies, and many of them are just not that critical towards picture quality.
It happens with not only Kino, but CC and MoC. CC is taken as biblical perfection by reviewers in cases of breathtaking error, and there are MoC transfers that gary falls all over himself creaming in his dry goods for where I feel I must need an eye doctor, or I run into the bathroom to check myself for head wounds because the transfer looks like a water bug splat to me and I think I must be brain damaged since no one else sees it. Any mass buyer of discs is used to this via boutique label reviews.

For the thousandth time:

Yes, you will indeed a few times a year (less than five, usually) get a superpremium release of a silent from MoC or CC. They don't specialize in this stuff, we've been through this stuff a thousand times. BFI interlaced PEOPLE ON SUNDAY, CC interlaced PANDORA.

UNSEEN CINEMA is filled with unpreconverted PAl-NTSC, and it's a dirty little secret because nobody wants to disparage this gloriously ballsy effort. We understand that no sane man would expect them to add that expense to this low profit enterprise.

No more ballsy than WSHADOWS.

Angry Europeans-- remember my to & fro with Nick on the Melville Visconti & Dreyer thread? I asked for this sort of stuff from him and not the same old Murnaus and Langs (sure they'll all -- no dvd premieres among them-- get the treatment when Nick puts it out later this year), like Weine, Lamprecht, Pick... you know, do some UNSEEN CINEMA or Kino type stuff. The answer was:
HerrSchreck, I admire your sentiments and eagerness to forge new ground. We will continue to strive for this, but please remember that we are a British company, the market we licence our releases for is the UK and the 60m+ people who live here.

When faced with putting out a new high-definition transfer of NOSFERATU, with the original score (rerecorded) for the first time, it's very hard to dismiss it for something else on your shopping list. Likewise, PHANTOM, which has never been released in the UK before.

We're trying to please globally minded mavens like yourself, at the same time as patching UK holes, and trying to definitively deal with large films that may have a few inferior editions out there.

There's so much we'd like to do... so many films we'd like to give the care and appropriate respect they deserve -- but we'd need a millionaire or two to fund any expansion, more producers, more restoration funding. Current sales can't fund such plans, I'm afraid.
Don't hold your breath in other words. You may go a greenish blue.

One of these days Tom or Ledos, you're gonna type in the stock Kino fury, the ceiling is going to open up above you, and balloons & confetti are going to fall down onto you in a weightless rain... a giant cake is going to be wheeled into the room behind you along with flipping dwarves & serenading clowns. And Gary Tooze is going to pop out of the Preconversion Cake wearing a falsie basket, congratulating you on your thousandth European anti-Kino tirade.

Tommaso

#84 Post by Tommaso » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:04 am

No, Schreck, it's definitely not the gauze filter. I can't post caps, sorry, but in "Shadows" these halos are there almost permanently. They are around the figures and heads of characters, for instance, and it has nothing to do with whether they move or not. In "Holy Mountain" they were there especially on the sides of mountains, and as a proof that they are not in the film itself: they are completely gone on the MoC disc.

In the meantime, I thought it might perhaps have something to do with a specific reaction of my TV/dvd player to highly contrastive tinting together with NTSC output, but then: it doesn't happen with other tinted discs like the native NTSC transfers in the Griffith box. But as Ledos also didn't notice anything, I am really irritated.

With all due respect, Schreck, I didn't say anything in general against Kino but was talking about a specific disc that at least I have problems with. If they are not there on other set-ups, fine. What you refer to as my anti-Kino tirades in recent months had for the most part to do with the replaced intertitles, not the image quality (which is never a problem if the original master is NTSC, anyway). I already gave my praise to their Tourneur discs, their Avantgarde Box, "Sir Arne" and quite a few others as well. I do not have any problems with interlacing (even if I notice it), and even analog sourced transfers don't distract me from enjoying a film like "Chess Player". So no-one did ask that any silent should be given the royal MoC or CC treatment. I just mentioned MoC and the bfi because they are the only companies I could think of into whose catalogue "Warning Shadows" might fit seamlessly. That they also happen to release top-notch discs for the most part is a great addition (and wouldn't you want to read one of those great essays that normally accompany their discs, and this time about "Shadows")? But again, I do not DEMAND this, and I'm quite happy that the Kino disc exists AT ALL. And you know how much I shared your sentiments in the exchange with Nick that you quote.

I fully agree with you about the over-enthusiasm certain reviewers put out simply because the disc in question is by CC or MoC. While I tend to share their sentiments often when it comes to MoC, I have also repeatedly felt that many CC discs are not quite up to the mythical position they occupy. But just because one can have due admiration for Kino and their excavations of glorious films from the past, one should not do the same as those reviewers you mention, i.e. praising them simply because they're Kino and give us all those super-brilliant silent films on dvd.

So, I really can't see what's the problem, actually. If there are certain problems with specific Kino discs, they should be pointed out, and then if there's no other disc available, the disc should be bought anyway (with very, very few exceptions, like "Prix de Beaute"). And if you can get the same film from MoC or any other company who happens to have released it in what apparently is a better version, you're free to choose whether you want to spend the extra money for importing the disc to the US and buying a code-free player etc. As you know, I'm all for global buying, though, and my praise for MoC or the bfi has nothing to do with the fact that these are European companies, but simply with their products happening to impress me for the most part.

Darth Lavender

#85 Post by Darth Lavender » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:50 am

Just thought I'd mention, Warning Shadows jaggies may not appear on all players after all.

On first viewing, I thought they were identical to the jaggies on 'Faust' and 'Die Nibelungen' which *are* obvious on all players, and the result of PAL>NTSC and NTSC>PAL conversions.

But I just, finally, watched my copy of 'Intolerance' (which, btw, gave me innumerable disk-errors on several machines, until I polished it thoroughly, tried it again, tried it again, and finally got it to play,) noticed the same problem on my LCD television, and then tried it on my computer with the artefacts absolutely nowhere to be seen. (But, I will repeat, do beware of Kino's 'Die Nibelungen' which I've watched on a CRT, native-resolution, television and on my computer, and the jaggies are definitely there on any display device.)

So, as for Intolerance (and, probably, Warning Shadows,) I think the jaggies I saw were the same phenomena I've observed on a number of NTSC anime DVDs (Evangelion, Serial Experiments Lain, Vampire Princess Miyu and Voice From a Distant Star)
This probably isn't the thread for this, but if anyone knows anything about that particular phenomenon (upscaling (720) which causes jaggies on black lines only on NTSC DVDs (and, as far as I can tell, only on NTSC 4:3 dvds,) PAL anime, even NTSC>PAL conversions, don't seem to suffer from it) then I would be interested to hear explanations, solutions, etc.

What A Disgrace

#86 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:20 am

Just worth noting...

I think the jaggies on Warning Shadows and Intolerance are due to the discs not being progressively transferred. The same goes for Criterion's Rififi (which, despite what I've been told, has shown up either jaggy heavy or combing heavy on every single player).

In any case, I've found that watching these discs on my Malata's "Film" mode gets rid of the jaggies, but in their place, combing prevails.

MoC's Faust, however, is progressively transferred, and the jaggies seem to be inherrant to the source, and appear on whatever player I use.

Several UK discs I own (AE's Weeping Meadow, MoC's Metropolis, Optimum's Last Emperor, a few Second Run discs) also showed heavy jaggies, but when watched on my Malata's Film mode, or on my computer screen, the jaggies disappear completely.

fiddlesticks

#87 Post by fiddlesticks » Thu May 08, 2008 4:43 pm

Scharphedin2 wrote:For anyone interested, this thread will offer a lot of info and links that can be useful to anyone presently considering the DDD half price sale on a big chunk of Kino's titles.

The list is obviously at the beginning of the thread, and it is unfortunately not complete and not up to date. However, do read the comments that follow, as there are many good recommendations, and also sensible words of caution on some of the titles.
With the Kino sale reappearing at DD, I'd like to echo this sentiment. Scharphedin's list and the comments that follow (at least those comments intended to be informative) I have found to be very helpful in considering some of the Kino titles on sale. Thanks, Scharphedin and all that contributed to this project back in the day.

[In other words, BUMP.]

GringoTex

#88 Post by GringoTex » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:22 am

Can Shreck and other offer updates? Shreck mentioned this being a great year for Kino.

Scharphedin2

#89 Post by Scharphedin2 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:07 pm

Every year is a great year for Kino :D

All kidding aside, my enthusiasm for Kino has only grown since initiating this thread a couple of years ago. I ended up purchasing a lot of their back catalogue, and continuously add many of their new releases to my library.

It would be a fun, and hopefully useful, exercise to do a follow-up annotated thread. Within the next couple of days, I will post a list of the additions to the Kino catalogue since the initial posts (some 120 titles), and anyone can help post comments on these.

HerrSchreck

#90 Post by HerrSchreck » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:30 pm

Potemkin, the Sjostroms OUtlaw and HIs Wife and Terje Vegen, the Expressionist titles Hands of Orlac, Secrets of a Soul, A Throw of Dice, The Sennet, the early women director silents series (The Red Kimona, Eleanor’s Catch , The Ocean Waif (1916), ’49-’17 (1917), Before the Nickelodeon), The General, The Last Laugh, the Griffith box 2, not to mention a bunch of other slapstick stuff and the Houdini collection. That's just the silents.

Also Morris Engel's triple-header in new HD telecine, the restored Parajanovs, I think the British Transport collection is from this year.

Just the titles that are in my zone of interest... but there are of course many more.

I'd say that's a decent year, and in terms of testicular fortitude, is par for the course for Kino, who keep their nose to the wheel viz their business model. One thing they don't do is change, god bless em (aside from getting better qualitatively... at least on the silent end).

Scharphedin2

#91 Post by Scharphedin2 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:25 pm

Here is the beginning of an annotated list of Kino's releases since apx. July, 2006. Over the next few days, I will update with the rest of the titles released during this period.

Useful comments on the individual releases, as well as links, are welcome, and I will incorporate in the catalogue.

A - F

1/3 (Yong-man Kim, 2006)
Forum Discussion
Reviews on the web: DVD Talk

Alibi (Roland West, 1929)
Forum Discussion and here

American Film Theatre, The: The Complete 14 Film Collection
See individual releases in original catalogue thread.

American Silent Horror Collection (includes The Man Who Laughs (Leni, 1928), Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (Robertson, 1920), The Cat and the Canary (Leni, 1927), The Penalty (Worsley, 1920) and Kingdom of Shadows (Bret Wood, 2007))
Reviews on the web: Silent Era

Animated Soviet Propaganda 1924 – 1984
Forum Discussion
Reviews on the web: DVD Savant

Anna Boleyn (Ernst Lubitsch, 1920)
Forum Discussion
Reviews on the web: Silent EraDVD TalkDigitally Obsessed

Anna Karenina (Aleksandr Zarkhi, 1967)
Forum Discussion
Reviews on the web: DVD TalkDigitally Obsessed

Ashik Kerib (Sergei Paradjanov, 1988)
Forum discussion in the Kino Thread and in the Paradjanov on DVD thread.

Avant Garde: Experimental Cinema 1928 – 1954
Forum Discussion in the Kino thread and in the Avant-Garde, Experimental & Non-narrative Films thread.
Reviews on the web: DVD SavantDigitally Obsessed

Baseball Films of the Silent Era 1899 – 1926

Battleship Potemkin: Deluxe Edition (Sergei Eisenstein, 1925)
Forum Discussion
Reviews on the web: Silent EraDVD SavantDigitally Obsessed

Be Yourself (Thornton Freeland, 1930)

Before the Nickelodeon: The Early Cinema of Edwin S. Porter

Billy Wilder Speaks (Volker Schlöndorff, 2006)
Reviews on the web: DVD SavantDigitally Obsessed

Book of the Dead, The (Kihachi Kawamoto, 2005)
Forum Discussion

Casting About (Barry J. Hershey, 2004)
Reviews on the web: Digitally Obsessed

Castle, The (Michael Haneke, 1997)
Forum Discussion

Claude Chabrol’s Tales of Deceit Box Set (includes Betty (1992), The Color of Lies (1999), Cop au vin (1985), Inspecteur Lavardin (1986) and L’Enfer (1994))
- See comments under the single releases of these films in the original catalogue listing.

Cloistered Nun: Runa’s Confession (Masaru Konuma, 1976)
Reviews on the web: 10k bullets

Commissar (Aleksandr Askoldov, 1967)

Cottage on Dartmoor, A (Anthony Asquith, 1929)
Forum Discussion in Silent Film on DVD and Kino threads.
Reviews on the web: Silent EraDVD Talk

Crossing the Line (Daniel Gordon, 2006)

Derek (Isaac Julien, 2008)
Forum Discussion

Doll, The / Lubitsch in Berlin (Ernst Lubitsch, 1919 / Robert Fischer, 2006)
Forum Discussion
Reviews on the web: Digitally ObsessedDVD Talk

Eagle Shooting Heroes (Jeffrey Lau, 1993)

Edgar G. Ulmer: The Man Off-Screen / Isle of Forgotten Sins (Michael Palm, 2004 / Ulmer, 1943)
Forum Discussion

Erotic Diary of an Office Lady (Masaru Konuma, 1977)

Exquisite Short Films of Kihachiro Kawamoto, The (Kawamoto, various)

Extra Girl, The (F. Richard Jones, 1923)
Reviews on the web: Silent EraDigitally Obsessed

Falling (Barbara Albert, 2006)

Fanny Trilogy, The (includes Marius (Alexander Korda, 1931), Fanny (Marc Allégret, 1932) and Cesar (Marcel Pagnol, 1936))
Forum Discussion

Film Noir: Five Classics From the Studio Vaults (Box Set including Scarlet Street (Fritz Lang, 1945), Contraband (Michael Powell, 1940), Strange Impersonation (Anthony Mann, 1947), They Made Me a Fugitive (Alberto Cavalcanti, 1947) and The Hitch-hiker (Ida Lupino, 1953))
Reviews on the web: DVD SavantDVD TalkDigitally Obsessed

Film Noir: The Dark Side of Hollywood (Box Set including Sudden Fear (David Miller, 1952), The Long Night (Anatole Litvak, 1947), Hangmen Also Die (Fritz Lang, 1943), Behind Locked Doors (Budd Boetticher, 1948) and Railroaded (Anthony Mann, 1947))
Forum Discussion
Reviews on the web: DVD BeaverDVD TalkDigitally Obsessed

Films of Michael Haneke, The (includes The Castle (1997), Benny’s Video (1992), Funny Games (1997), The Seventh Continent (1989), 71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance (1994), Code Unknown (2000) and The Piano Teacher (2001))
Forum Discussion in the Kino and Haneke on DVD threads.

Films of Morris Engel with Ruth Orkin, The (includes Little Fugitive (1953), Lovers and Lollipops (1956) and Weddings and Babies (1958))
Forum Discussion

Films of Sergei Paradjanov, The (includes Ashik Kerib (1988), The Legend of Suram Fortress (1984), Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors (1964) and The Color of Pomegranates (1968))
Reviews on the web: DVD BeaverDVD Talk

Five (Abbas Kiarostami, 2003)
Forum Discussion
Reviews on the web: DVD TalkDVD Beaver

Fritz Lang Epic Collection (includes Metropolis (1927), Die Nibelungen (1924), Spies (1928) and Woman In the Moon (1929))

Funny Games (Michael Haneke, 1997)
Last edited by Scharphedin2 on Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Scharphedin2

#92 Post by Scharphedin2 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:27 pm

G - O

Garden of Earthly Delights, The (Lech Majewski, 2004)

German Expressionism Collection (The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (Wiene, 1919), The Hands of Orlac (Wiene, 1924), Warning Shadows (Robison, 1923) and Secrets of a Soul (Pabst, 1926))
Forum Discussion
Reviews on the web: Silent EraDVD Talk

Glamour Girls (Box Set including The Blue Angel (von Sternberg, 1930), Love Me Tonight (Mamoulian, 1932), The Good Fairy (Wyler, 1935), Lured (Sirk, 1947) and Pandora and the Flying Dutchman (Lewin, 1951))

Glass Lips (Lech Majewski, 2007)

Good Fight: The Abraham Lincoln Brigade In the Spanish Civil War – Special Edition (Noel Buckner, Mary Dore and Sam Sills, 1984)

Gospel According to Harry (Lech Majewski, 1994)

Harry Langdon: Three’s a Crowd / The Chaser (Langdon, 1927/1928)
Forum Discussion

Hands of Orlac, The (Robert Wiene, 1924)
Forum Discussion here and here
See also the German Expressionism Collection above.

Harvest Time (Marina Razbezhkina, 2004)
Forum Discussion

Houdini: The Movie Star
Forum Discussion

Hypocrites / Eleanor’s Catch (Lois Weber, 1915 / Cleo Madison, 1916)
Forum Discussion

I Am an S+M Writer (Ryuichi Hiroki, 2000)

I Want to Go Home (Alain Resnais, 1989)
Forum Discussion

In Between Days (So Yong Kim, 2006)

In the Pit (Juan Carlos Rulfo, 2006)
Forum Discussion

Iron Island (Mohammad Rasoulof, 2005)

Jan Svankmajer: The Ossuary and Other Tales
Forum Discussion

Jiri Barta: Labyrinth of Darkness
Forum Discussion

Josephine Baker Collection, The (includes Siren of the Tropics (Henri Étiévant & Mario Nalpas, 1927), Zou Zou (Marc Allègret, 1934) and Princess Tam Tam (Edmond T. Gréville, 1935))

Kaspar Hauser (Peter Sehr, 1993)

Kirikou and the Wild Beast (Michel Ocelot & Bénédicte Galup, 2005)

Lady Chatterley (Pascale Ferran, 2006)

Legend of Suram Fortress, The
See also The Films of Sergei Paradjanov above.

Life Is a Bed of Roses
Forum Discussion

Look Both Ways (Sarah Watt, 2005)

Lottery Bride, The (Paul L. Stein, 1930)
Forum Discussion

Love Unto Death (Alain Resnais, 1984)
Forum Discussion

Lubitsch in Berlin (Box Set including The Doll (1919) / Lubitsch in Berlin (2006), Sumurun (1920), The Oyster Princess (1919) / I Don’t Want to Be a Man (1919), The Wildcat (1921) and Anna Boleyn (1920))
Forum Discussion
See also under the individual entries in the series.

Magic of Méliès, The
Reviews on the web: DVD TalkDigitally ObsessedSilent Era

Man There Was, A / Ingeborg Holm (Victor Sjöström, 1919 / 1913)
Forum Discussion

Melo (Alain Resnais, 1986)
Forum Discussion

Monsieur Hire (Patrice Leconte, 1989)
Forum Discussion

Nosferatu: The Ultimate DVD Edition (F.W. Murnau, 1922)
Forum Discussion
Reviews on the web: Silent EraDVD BeaverDVD TalkDigitally Obsessed

Ocean Waif, The / ’49-‘17 (Alice Guy Blaché, 1916 / Ruth Ann Baldwin, 1917)
Forum Discussion

Off to War: From Rural Arkansas to Iraq (Brent and Craig Renaud, 2005)

Old Joy (Kelly Reichardt, 2006)

On and Off the Rails (Various, 1951 – 1980)

Outlaw and His Wife, The (Victor Sjöström, 1918)
Forum Discussion

Oyster Princess, The / I Don’t Want To Be a Man (Ernst Lubitsch, 1919 / 1919)
Forum Discussion
Last edited by Scharphedin2 on Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:16 am, edited 4 times in total.

Scharphedin2

#93 Post by Scharphedin2 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:27 pm

P - Z

Petite Jerusalem, La (Karin Albou, 2005)

Poisoned By Polonium: The Litvinenko File (Andrei Nekrasov, 2007)

Princes and Princesses (Michel Ocelot, 2000)

Psychopathia Sexualis (Bret Wood, 2006)
Psychopathia Sexualis: Unrated Director’s Cut

Quiet Flows the Don (Sergei Gerasimov, 1957)
Forum Discussion

Red Kimona, The (Mrs. Wallace Reid & Walter Lang, 1925)
Forum Discussion

Requiem for Billy the Kid (Anne Feinsilber, 2006)

Revue des Revues, La (Joe Francys, 1927)

Rhythm Thief (Matthew Harrison, 1994)

Roe’s Room, The (Lech Majewski, 1997)

Sabah (Ruba Nadda, 2005)

Saint Clara (Ari Folman & Ori Sivan, 1996)

Secrets of a Soul (G.W. Pabst, 1926)
Forum Discussion
See also German Expressionism Collection above.

Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors (Sergei Paradjanov, 1964)
See also The films of Sergei Paradjanov above.

She: Deluxe Two Disc Edition (Irving Pichel, 1935)
Reviews on the web: DVD SavantDigitally ObsessedDVD Beaver

Siberiade (Andrei Konchalovsky, 1979)
Forum Discussion

Slippin’: Ten Years With the Bloods (Joachim Schroeder & Tommy Sowards, 2005)

Stalker (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1979)
Forum Discussion
Reviews on the web: Digitally ObsessedDVD Talk

Stan Laurel Collection, The: Volume 2 (Various, 1918-1926)

Sumurun (Ernst Lubitsch, 1920)
Forum Discussion

Tattooed Flower Vase (Masaru Konuma, 1977)

Throw of Dice, A (Franz Osten, 1929)
Forum Discussion and further discussion of the BFI release of the film here.

Times and Winds (Reha Erdem, 2006)

To the Left of the Father (Luiz Fernando Carvalho, 2001)

Tokyo Trash Baby (Ryuichi Hiroki, 2000)
Forum Discussion

Tom Verlaine and Jimmy Rip: Music for Experimental Film
Forum Discussion

Trigger Man (Ti West, 2007)

Variety (Bette Gordon, 1983)
Forum Discussion

Vibrator (Ryuichi Hiroki, 2003)
Forum Discussion

War Requiem (Derek Jarman, 1989)
Forum Discussion

Who Shall Live and Who Shall Die? (Laurence Jarvik, 1982)

Wife to Be Sacrificed (Masaru Konuma, 1974)
Reviews on the web: 10k bulletsAV Maniacs

Wildcat, The (Ernst Lubitsch, 1921)
Forum Discussion
Reviews on the web: DVD TalkSilent Era
Last edited by Scharphedin2 on Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tommaso

#94 Post by Tommaso » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:55 am

Sharph, thanks for this incredible effort (again!)! You know, this seriously qualifies you for the Member of the Year Award, but I'm sure you didn't do it for that!
I think it's a good idea how you decided to simply link to the already existing discussions of individual discs, which spares you time but is handy nevertheless. I haven't bought that many Kino discs this year, and those that I've bought I think I have already commented on, so I have little or nothing to add. But perhaps others can. All in all, I think the company is getting better in overall picture quality, though it seems there are still occasional blunders like "The Outlaw and his wife". But at least the old conversion problems seem more or less gone.

Scharphedin2

#95 Post by Scharphedin2 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:18 am

Thanks Tommaso! I hope this will be helpful to people just beginning to explore the Kino catalogue, and that it will shed light on some of the many releases that have not been discussed to any great extent in the forum.

Personally, I am interested in hearing thougths on some of the more recent films in the catalogue, especially the Asian films. There is very little info available on these in the forum, and on the internet in general.

Also, I was curious about the Before the Nickelodeon disc. It sounds like a very insubstantial package. The documentary itself receives a lukewarm review at DVD Talk, and the "only" extra are three of his short films:
This disc also includes three early Porter films: Uncle Josh at the Moving Picture Show (1902 - 3 min.), Life of a Cowboy (1906 -17 minutes), and Waiting at the Church (1906 - 9 minutes.)
Are these three films unique to this disc, or, have they appeared on any of the various collections of very early silent films that have been released over the years?

Anyone own this disc?

Gregory

#96 Post by Gregory » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:25 am

I can comment on a recent title that hasn't yet been added to the list above: In the Pit (Juan Carlos Rulfo, 2006), about people who work on (and near) an elevated highway in Mexico City. It's a serviceable transfer despite lots of jaggies and miscellaneous compression artifacts. Rulfo shot it with digital cameras, and it really should have looked better than this. The image is also fairly soft, although oddly the time-lapse sequences looked much sharper to me than the rest of the film. Subtitle translation is pretty good, with only occasional errors. They've translated peso amounts straight to "dollars," which is misleading at times. The disc includes next to nothing in the way of extras.
It's a very compelling documentary that I hope people will at least rent even in spite of my comments about the disc. Although very little of what happens in it is explored let alone contextualized, it's still one of the better films I've seen about working people in the last couple of years. A runner-up would be Michael Glawogger's Workingman's Death, which looks far worse on DVD than this one.

Thanks once again for your efforts, Scharphedin2.

Scharphedin2

#97 Post by Scharphedin2 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:23 am

The catalogue is now (to the best of my knowledge) up to date. Many releases have not been discussed in the forum, so comments from anyone who has seen or owns any of these releases would be most welcome.
Gregory wrote:I can comment on a recent title that hasn't yet been added to the list above: In the Pit (Juan Carlos Rulfo, 2006), about people who work on (and near) an elevated highway in Mexico City.
Thanks Gregory, I could not find any reviews of this DVD release online, but I have added it in the catalogue.

htdm

#98 Post by htdm » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:56 am

Scharphedin2 wrote:
This disc also includes three early Porter films: Uncle Josh at the Moving Picture Show (1902 - 3 min.), Life of a Cowboy (1906 -17 minutes), and Waiting at the Church (1906 - 9 minutes.)
Are these three films unique to this disc, or, have they appeared on any of the various collections of very early silent films that have been released over the years?

Anyone own this disc?
I do. All three are only available on this disc.

The documentary isn't bad, just not Brownlow good. The Edison set material went a long way to making this doc less relevant than it once was.

Tommaso

#99 Post by Tommaso » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:02 am

Just let me add that "War Requiem" will come from the UK via Second Sight in November, and unlike the barebones Kino disc it will have an audiocommentary and new interviews with Swinton et al. An easy choice, then, and I'm happy to have found out in time to cancel my pre-order for the Kino disc. But apparently the Kino disc is fine, so if you're not region-free or for whatever reason don't care about the extras, the Kino seems to be a good buy.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#100 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:49 am

The Kino/Kimstim Tokyo Trash Baby has a pretty big problem that wasn't mentioned here or in the Digitally Obsessed review: it's a 4:3 film that's been incorrectly flagged as 16:9. You can fix this on a 4:3 monitor by going into your player's settings and changing the TV type to 16:9 (you'll have to change it back when you're done, of course) -- I'm not sure what owners of 16:9 sets can do, short of ripping and re-authoring the disc themselves. Vibrator and I Am an S+M Writer seem fine.