PWA: Polskie Wydawnictwo Audiowizualne

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Rich Malloy

#51 Post by Rich Malloy » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:05 am

Thanks, posto. I think that's it exactly. Hopefully, their stock for the Documentary set will be replenished on the 16th, and all orders will go thru at that point.

Toxicologist

#52 Post by Toxicologist » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:43 pm

Rich Malloy wrote:Hopefully, their stock for the Documentary set will be replenished on the 16th, and all orders will go thru at that point.
Fingers crossed, i've waited almost two months for my replacement as their 'in stock' date seemingly gets pushed further away each time.

alfons416

#53 Post by alfons416 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:27 am

im getting really tired of waiting for the boxset to come in stock, it's over 2 months now i thnk.

Rich Malloy

#54 Post by Rich Malloy » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:42 am

Yes, I'm considering cancelling if it doesn't come in soon, so I can reorder only the "Dekalog" set out of fear they'll go out of stock on that one before they get more Documentary sets.

On the other hand, considering the difficulty I had simply placing an order, cancelling and reordering might raise all sorts of new problems.

Rich Malloy

#55 Post by Rich Malloy » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:14 am

I didn't receive an email notice from Traffic-Club, but as of today my account has been charged for the full amount of my order! It's not a pending transaction like before either. Barring some mistake, this would appear to be confirmation that they have stock (or expect to have stock by the 16th) of the documentary set.

:D (<-very happy emoticon)

alfons416

#56 Post by alfons416 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:03 am

Finaly got this mail:
Hello,

The movie Krzysztof Kieślowski: Polska szkoła dokumentu already is in sale. We are sending this movie to you tomorrow.

Regards

--
Dorota Wysocka
Dział Obsługi Klienta - Sklep Internetowy
Traffic Club Sp. z o.o.
tel. +48 (22) 69 21 888
e-mail: kontakt@traffic-club.pl

Rich Malloy

#57 Post by Rich Malloy » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:17 pm

I got the same email with precisely the same wording. Thank you, Dorota!

(I hope it means they are also sending the Dekalog set I ordered!)

alfons416

#58 Post by alfons416 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:16 pm

it arrived varry fast to me in sweden when thay sent it.. and i simply love the layout of the boxset! love at first sight!

it made me wisit PWA's site and i saw a new boxset in the same series Polska Szkoła Dokumentu. Kazimierz Karabasz

i have no idea who Kazimierz Karabasz is and i haven't seen any of his film but i couldn't resist to order it simply cause i loved the kieslowski box set so much! let's hop i don't have to wait two months for this to come in stock.

anyone knows about Karabasz? from what i hread he's a huge influence to kieslowski and even teached him in filmschool?

Galen Young

#59 Post by Galen Young » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:22 pm

alfons416 wrote:Polska Szkoła Dokumentu. Kazimierz Karabasz

Cool! Thanks for the tip. I put an order in for it at Traffic Club too.
alfons416 wrote:anyone knows about Karabasz? from what i hread he's a huge influence to kieslowski and even teached him in filmschool?

Yes, one of his teachers at the Lodz Film School. The only film of his I've seen is the short The Musicians that was included on the MK2 disc set of Veronique (and will be on the upcoming Criterion disc as well) Based on the strength of that film -- an obvious influence on Kieslowski's documentaries -- makes this an easy blind buy for me!

JanPB

#60 Post by JanPB » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:13 pm

alfons416 wrote:it arrived varry fast to me in sweden when thay sent it.. and i simply love the layout of the boxset! love at first sight!

it made me wisit PWA's site and i saw a new boxset in the same series Polska Szkoła Dokumentu. Kazimierz Karabasz

i have no idea who Kazimierz Karabasz is and i haven't seen any of his film but i couldn't resist to order it simply cause i loved the kieslowski box set so much! let's hop i don't have to wait two months for this to come in stock.

anyone knows about Karabasz? from what i hread he's a huge influence to kieslowski and even teached him in filmschool?
The text on that page says in part:
Polskie Wydawnictwo Audiowizualne ["Polish Audiovisual Publishers"] has published a second two-disc box in their Polska Szkoła Dokumentu series edited by Tadeusz Sobolewski. This time it's a set of works by Kazimierz Karabasz. It contains a selection of ten films by this eminent documentary filmmaker. This year the PWA are planning to release two further sets devoted to the films of Marcel Lozinski and Maciej Drygas.
I might add that Marcel Lozinski was in the years 1980-81 probably more popular than Kieslowski in Poland, mainly thanks to his less-veiled criticism of the Communist state (e.g. in films like "Matura" [i.e., high school graduation exams] or "Workers '80" which documented the tortuous process of the historical negotiations between Solidarity and the government inside the Lenin Shipyard in Gdansk - Lozinski's cameras were the only ones allowed by the striking workers as they didn't trust any government media. I don't think they trusted Lozinski at first either - a state-owned documentary film company after all - but somebody convinced them, IIRC it' was Andrzej Wajda who was of course well-respected thanks to "Man of Marble" few years back).

Continuing:
Total runtime: 315 min., French, English subtitles.
Jan

Rich Malloy

#61 Post by Rich Malloy » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:01 am

I also received the Documentary set (and the new DEKALOG set) yesterday. My sincere thanks to posto for bringing this to our attention and assisting so much with the ordering, and also to Aquarello who's help was indispensible and much appreciated.

I'm immensely looking forward to seeing these documentaries, all for the first time, and the link that was posted a couple pages back describing them has me primed. And I haven't seen the Dekalog since Facets first released its quite poor transfer, so I suspect I'll be viewing both sets in parallel. And as I fortunately don't have to travel again this weekend, I'll be spending it with Krzysztof!

alfons416

#62 Post by alfons416 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:05 am

got my karabasz set today, and it looks just as beutiful as Kieslowski. Watched the first two films on it to, i think everyone who liked the Kieslowski-set will like this to.

criterionsnob

#63 Post by criterionsnob » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:55 am

My Kieslowski Documentaries DVDs just arrived. It looks like a beautiful set! Thanks to everyone in this thread for your comments. It was very helpful to read them as I guessed my way through the order process.

Galen Young

#64 Post by Galen Young » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:30 pm

Got the Karabasz DVDs today -- another gorgeous digipak work of art! I still can't believe they're putting English alongside the Polish! So damn nice of them. Haven't watched all the films yet, but did quick peak of them all. Interesting to see that all of his films included in the set (1955 to 1997) are in black and white and only the final autobiographical piece (2004) is in color. Definitely look forward to any future releases from PWA. (...and now I'm looking forward to getting those Zanussi disc's mentioned in the other thread -- hope they're of good quality!)

posto

#65 Post by posto » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:35 pm

This is not the first time people on this thread ask for the translation of this text from Traffic Club, so here it is:

Twoje zamówienie numer 00007349 oczekuje na zapÅ‚atÄ™ - zapraszamy do dokonania autoryzacji karty kredytowej.

Your order number 00007349 is awaiting payment - we invite you to authorize your credit card.

Zaloguj siÄ™ najpierw na naszej stronie, nastÄ™pnie wejdź do Panelu Klienta (znajdziesz go na górnym pasku), aby zobaczyć aktualne zamówienie. Znajdziesz przy nim komunikat o treÅ›ci: "Możesz dokonać pÅ‚atnoÅ›ci już teraz". Kliknij w ten komunikat, a zostaniesz przekierowany na bezpiecznÄ… stronÄ™ serwisu PolCard, gdzie należy wprowadzić dane potrzebne do autoryzacji Twojej karty kredytowej.

Przypominamy jednoczeÅ›nie, że realizacjÄ™ Twojego zamówienia rozpoczniemy dopiero po dokonaniu pÅ‚atnoÅ›ci!

First log in on our page, next go to Client's Panel "Panel Klienta" (you will find it on the upper menu), to see your order.
You will find a message next to your order: "You can make your payment now". Click on this message, and you will be directed to the secure page of service PolCard, where you can type information necessary to authorize Your credit card.

We also remind you, that we will process your order only after you make payment.

alfons416

#66 Post by alfons416 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:08 pm

there are two new instalations in the Polska Szkoła Dokumentu-series now:
Maciej J. Drygas & Marcel Å

Galen Young

#67 Post by Galen Young » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:08 pm

Cool! Thanks for the heads up. Not sure what you mean by the PWA site having ordering info in English (I couldn't find it!) -- just went ahead and got them from Traffic Club.

posto

#68 Post by posto » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:40 pm

You can purchase all 4 PWA's DVD sets at: Merlin.com.pl.
Of all polish online retailers I found this one the easiest to use. They have instructions "how to buy" in english.
I got Kieslowski and Karabasz sets already and ordered [url=http://www.merlin.com.pl/frontend/towar/498565]Marcel Å

alfons416

#69 Post by alfons416 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:54 am

Galen Young: ooh, i didn't meen pwa i meant www.traffic-club.pl/ where i've ordered my sets. sorry for the confusion.

spencerw

#70 Post by spencerw » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:55 am

I would recommend caution about Merlin.com. Their English instructions cover only a tiny fraction of the order process. I found myself bewildered at several points. Worse: I have evidently ended up with two (unpaid) orders for the same item and no obvious way to cancel one of them. I guess I shall have to steel myself for a barrage of email correspondence in Polish demanding payment and hope that eventually the orders lapse!

Telstar

#71 Post by Telstar » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:20 am

I'm not familiar with Å

alfons416

#72 Post by alfons416 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:19 pm

now i've got the two new ones. have only looked at one Å

Scharphedin2

#73 Post by Scharphedin2 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:30 pm

Another set has been released in the Polish Documentaries series; this one featuring films by Andrzej Munk.

The films included are:

Kierunek Nowa Huta (1951)
PamiÄ™tniki chÅ‚opów (1952)
Kolejarskie słowo (1953)
Gwiazdy muszą płonąć (1954)
Niedzielny poranek (1955)
Błękitny krzyż (1955)
Spacerek staromiejski (1958)

MichaelB

#74 Post by MichaelB » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:18 pm

Scharphedin2 wrote:Another set has been released in the Polish Documentaries series; this one featuring films by Andrzej Munk.
I ordered this a few days ago, so hopefully will have it by this time next week.

I'm very slowly ploughing through all the Polish documentary sets in chronological order (though the Munk set will mess this up) - so far I've written about the first four Karabasz films (here), but should have some Munk and early Kieślowski covered before too long.

My Man Godfrey

#75 Post by My Man Godfrey » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:29 pm

The Drygas set is fucking awesome. All four films are amazing.