PWA: Polskie Wydawnictwo Audiowizualne

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Rich Malloy

#26 Post by Rich Malloy » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:24 pm

OH MY, $100 LESS?!?

That's amazingly good news, or at least it is for someone like myself who had agonized over purchasing this set at $200, deciding against it time and time again.

Such good news, in fact, that my "too good to be true" radar started sounding as I viewed the link, but my subsequent attempt at translating the key bits with the help of various Polish->English dictionaries would seem to confirm:
Dekalog Krzysztofa Kieślowskiego - Pakiet 6DVD

data premiery: 2006-04-12
reżyser: Krzysztof Kieślowski
gatunki: dramaty - melodramaty , filmy polskie
wytwórnia lub dystrybutor: Warner Bros
ograniczenie wiekowe: b.o.
liczba noÅ›ników: 6 DVD
format obrazu: 1.33:1
format audio: Dolby Digital 5.0
dodatki: PÅ‚yty 1-5 (dwustronne) zawierajÄ… 10 filmów z cyklu Dekalog oraz materiaÅ‚y dodatkowe stanowiÄ…ce uzupeÅ‚nienie każdego filmu. PÅ‚yta 6 (jednostronna) zawiera "Archiwum" - suplement do kolekcji z... wiÄ™cej
napisy: francuskie, angielskie, polskie
licencja na wypożyczanie: brak
czas realizacji: do 5 dni

Kompletna filmowa kolekcja zawierajÄ…ca 10 filmów Krzysztofa KieÅ›lowskiego i "Archiwum" - suplement z unikalnymi wywiadami i wspomnieniami poÅ›wieconymi twórczoÅ›ci tego wybitnego reżysera. Dekalog to cykl poruszajÄ…cych nowel filmowych. Każdy z 10 filmów opowiada innÄ… historiÄ™, intryguje i wciÄ…ga widza w życie zwykÅ‚ych ludzi.

"Complete film collection 10 movies of Krzysztof Kieslowski includes archival interviews..."

dodatki:
PÅ‚yty 1-5 (dwustronne) zawierajÄ… 10 filmów z cyklu Dekalog oraz materiaÅ‚y dodatkowe stanowiÄ…ce uzupeÅ‚nienie każdego filmu. PÅ‚yta 6 (jednostronna) zawiera "Archiwum" - suplement do kolekcji z unikalnymi wywiadami i wspomnieniami.

Discs 1-5 include 10 movies ( two-sided ) and additional materials to complement each movie. Archive Disc 6 is a collection with unique interviews - supplement and memories.
Is this just a price-drop, or are there any other differences that might impact someone like me? Like many of you, I'm mostly looking for the very best audio/video, and secondarily any English-friendly supplements that may be available. Does this set take anything substantial away from the much pricier initial release in terms of a/v quality (doubtful) or extras (more likely)?

Different packaging, I presume? This may be preferable given that the initial release consisted - I think - of 10 or so separately packaged "episodes" that obviously would require ample shelf space.

So, let me know as I think this may be of benefit to all - if there's anything I've learned over the past few years, it's that my investment in a pricey import (especially an all-frills boxset) all but insures that Criterion will announce an even better domestic release on the following day.

Galen Young

#27 Post by Galen Young » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:47 am

I want to throw out another special thanks to posto for writing about the release of the Kieslowski documentaries dvd set -- and to everyone else for sharing experiences of ordering through Traffic Club. (and to Dorota's help from T.C. as well!) I recently got the set in the mail and am simply blown away - wow! What a goldmine! Nice that only two of the twelve films overlap with the Kino Kieslowski discs. Also -- just couldn't pass up getting a copy of that 'second edition' of that Warner's Poland set of the Dekalog -- holy crap! Awesome! Both are beautiful objets d'art.
Rich Malloy wrote:Different packaging, I presume? This may be preferable given that the initial release consisted - I think - of 10 or so separately packaged "episodes" that obviously would require ample shelf space.

The design is identical to the one pictured here at DVD Beaver -- just six discs instead of 11. Each film's info as seen on the digipak backs are collected into a printed booklet, very nice.... A pity the 'Archive' disc of extras has no subtitles, but who cares -- god, I haven't been this embarrassingly giddy with excitement since, well...MK2's disc of Veronique! Onward to CC #359...

Toxicologist

#28 Post by Toxicologist » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:15 pm

Galen Young wrote:I want to throw out another special thanks to posto for writing about the release of the Kieslowski documentaries dvd set -- and to everyone else for sharing experiences of ordering through Traffic Club. (and to Dorota's help from T.C. as well!) I recently got the set in the mail and am simply blown away - wow! What a goldmine!
Yes, thanks indeed to Posto and the help in ordering.
I received my set a few weeks back but unfortunately both discs had become loose in transit and consequently got very badly scratched/scuffed.

I have returned it on the understanding it will be late September before they have stock to replace it although it's been two weeks since i posted it from the UK and as of yesterday they still claim not to have received it.

Telstar

#29 Post by Telstar » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:27 am

Any news regarding the documentary set being available again at Traffic Club? I'd love to get this.

Toxicologist

#30 Post by Toxicologist » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:15 am

Telstar wrote:Any news regarding the documentary set being available again at Traffic Club? I'd love to get this.
I'm awaiting my replacement copy for discs that got scratched which i sent back at the end of August.

Traffic Club contacted me earlier this week saying they are HOPING to have stock again by 28th September.

JanPB

#31 Post by JanPB » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:21 pm

Toxicologist wrote:
Telstar wrote:Any news regarding the documentary set being available again at Traffic Club? I'd love to get this.
I'm awaiting my replacement copy for discs that got scratched which i sent back at the end of August.

Traffic Club contacted me earlier this week saying they are HOPING to have stock again by 28th September.
I'm toying with the idea of translating and posting (somewhere) Krzysztof Piesiewicz's comments for each episode (from the untranslated DVD supplements). They are quite interesting. Piesiewicz is now a senator and his web site has a link to his screenplays - an interesting aside for a politician :) http://www.piesiewicz.pl/

Rich Malloy

#32 Post by Rich Malloy » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:27 pm

I wonder if I could trouble someone for assistance. After many failed attempts, I think I succeeded in ordering the documentary set and the 6-disc Dekalog set. But I know I haven't provided any credit card info, and I can't seem to find a request like others who've made successful orders.

This is the message I received:
Dzień dobry,

Dziękujemy za odwiedziny w naszym sklepie internetowym i złożenie
zamówienia.

Najpierw sprawdź poprawność poniższych danych:

TWOJE ZAMÓWIENIE
numer: 00006773

Krzysztof Kieślowski: Polska szkoła dokumentu w ilości 1 za 35.00 PLN
Dekalog Krzysztofa Kieślowskiego - Pakiet 6DVD w ilości 1 za 236.00 PLN

Sposób dostarczenia: Poczta Ekonomiczna
Koszt przesyłki: 84.00 PLN
Razem do zapłaty: 355.00 PLN
Forma zapłaty: karta kredytowa

Adres dostawy:
Odbiorca: Richard Malloy
Adres:
(my street address) (my ZIP code) (my city, state)
Stany Zjednoczone Ameryki Pólnocnej

Po zalogowaniu można zarzÄ…dzać swoimi zamówieniami na stronie:
http://traffic-club.pl/a/order_manage.html

PamiÄ™taj, że realizacjÄ™ Twojego zamówienia zaczniemy dopiero po ostatecznym jego potwierdzeniu. JeÅ›li nie nastÄ…pi to w ciÄ…gu 7 dni, od daty jego zÅ‚ożenia, zamówienie zostanie anulowane automatycznie.

Pozdrawiamy!
ZespóÅ‚ pracowników Traffic Club
Before placing this order, I'd created an account and received an email acknowledgment (I had not entered any credit card info then or ever), and the login/password I received in the email is the same as the one I entered when creating my account, not a different one as everyone else has received. My order confirmation above also does not appear to change my login/password (or does it?).

I suspect it's that part that starts "Pamiętaj, że realizację..." that may be payment info, but I've yet to find a decent Polish-English translator that provides anything beyond the most basic terms (name, surname, address, postal code, etc.).

It's a bit embarrassing that I haven't made it any further given how easy it seems for everyone else, but I find myself at a loss as to how to complete this order. When I log into my traffic-club account, I can find my order, and there's a drop-down box with several options, as follows:
wszystkie
anulowane
w realizacji
oczekiwanie na plat
weryfikowane
do potwierdzenia
zakonczone

And, at this point, I'm stuck. I know I haven't completed this order, as I haven't entered any payment info. I think I may be *that close* to succes, and yet still so far away!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

acquarello

#33 Post by acquarello » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:18 pm

Okay, I think I know what screen you're on. I believe that the "weryfikowane" status indicates that they're in the process of verifying the validity of your order (before they send you the follow up/payment email).

On that page where you see your order, do you see a "Pokaż" button under "szczegóÅ‚y" (to the right of status)? Click on that button to review your order, and if they've activated the payment link, then it shows up in between the two tables. If it's been a few days (2-3) and you never received that "Zmiana statusu zamówienia..." follow up email, they probably haven't validated your order (maybe because the Kieslowski is still backordered?).

When was the order placed?

Rich Malloy

#34 Post by Rich Malloy » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:02 am

Many thanks, aquarello, and also posto who PM'd me with a translation of the prior email. I only placed this order yesterday, and I think I may have jumped the gun, expecting the Zmiana status zamowienia email to be that initial one I received. Today, I got the following:
*Zmiana statusu zamówienia nr 00006773*

Dzień dobry,

Twoje zamówienie numer 00006773 oczekuje na zapÅ‚atÄ™ -
zapraszamy do dokonania autoryzacji karty kredytowej.

Zaloguj się najpierw na naszej stronie, następnie wejdź do Panelu Klienta
(znajdziesz go na górnym pasku), aby zobaczyć aktualne zamówienie.
Znajdziesz przy nim komunikat o treści: "Możesz dokonać płatności już
teraz". Kliknij w ten komunikat, a zostaniesz przekierowany na bezpiecznÄ…
stronę serwisu PolCard, gdzie należy wprowadzić dane potrzebne do autoryzacji
Twojej karty kredytowej.

Przypominamy jednoczeÅ›nie, że realizacjÄ™ Twojego zamówienia rozpoczniemy
dopiero po dokonaniu płatności!

W razie dodatkowych pytaÅ„, skontaktuj siÄ™ z DziaÅ‚em ObsÅ‚ugi Klientów:
telefon + 48 22 6921 888, e-mail: kontakt@traffic-club.pl

Pozdrawiamy!
ZespóÅ‚ pracowników Traffic Club
There isn't a link to my order in that email, and when I logged on at traffic-club, I couldn't "click" my way to it. So, I used the "order manage" link from the first email, which now takes me to a completely different page than the one I posted yesterday, and it does not have a "Pokaż" button" for payment. Now, it says:
Wejdź do Panelu Klienta (opcja dostÄ™pna na górnym pasku), jeÅ›li chcesz zmienić swoje dane lub zobaczyć dotychczas zÅ‚ożone zamówienia.

[1] TWÓJ KOSZYK JEST PUSTY

[2] TWOJA LISTA ŻYCZEŃ JEST PUSTA

[3] KONTYNUUJ ZAKUPY

Jeżeli przeglÄ…daÅ‚eÅ› tylko zawartość listy życzeÅ„ lub przenosiÅ‚eÅ› produkty z listy życzeÅ„ do koszyka, naciÅ›nij przycisk "wróć do sklepu" a finalizacji zamówienia możesz dokonać później.

As I believe is indicated in that last statement, a button to the right of it reads: "wroc do sklepu"
Is it that button I should click - rather than the usual "Pokaż" button - to finalize payment?

Again, my apologies for requesting a hand-holding thru this order - everyone else seems to be finding this much easier. Hopefully, this is helping someone else. Could it be that registering my account first rather than just simply attempting to purchase this set without pre-registering is causing this confusion?

acquarello

#35 Post by acquarello » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:38 am

Hmm...that's not the right screen. It's telling you to go shopping.

Try this:

-Go to the traffic club website and log in.

-After you've logged in and the page refreshed (there should be a greeting on the top red banner with your name), click on the "panel klienta" on the banner.

-There should be five tabs, click on the rightmost tab (zamówienia).

-Your order should be listed on this page with the "pokaż" button, and if you click on that, you should see the payment link.

-After you've entered your credit card information, don't forget to click on the left button instead of the right one.

Rich Malloy

#36 Post by Rich Malloy » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:43 am

I won't bore you all with the details of how I finally reached the credit card payment page (mostly because I cannot begin to recall the circuitous trail that led me there). I've filled out everything except this:

Nr domu _____

None of the Polish/English dictionaries will translate this, and it's a required field. Can anyone translate this one? Thanks!

acquarello

#37 Post by acquarello » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:42 pm

Should be house number. I didn't think it was required though (I wrote out the entire address on one line). Anyway, I know I sound like a broken record, but make sure you're clicking on the left button to complete the transaction ...I vaguely remember fixating on that line too, and it turned out to be unrelated to the actual reason my payment wasn't going through.

Rich Malloy

#38 Post by Rich Malloy » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:57 pm

Again, many many thanks to everyone in this thread, and particularly to acquarello and posto who have helped me and others so much with the ordering process. I completed the transaction (using the LEFT BUTTON!) and leaving the Nr domu field blank (my address appeared to be correct and complete in the other fields).

After pressing said left button, this page came up:
Znajdujecie się Państwo w systemie POLCARD SA, największego w Polsce
centrum autoryzacyjno-rozliczeniowego kart płatniczych.

Naciśnij przycisk "Dalej" w celu wejścia na strony internetowe swojego Banku i potwierdzenia chęci dokonania zakupu Twoją kartą.

button: *Dalej*
Clicking on "Dalej" took me to a Bank of America "Verified by Visa" signup sheet. I'm not sure if this is per usual, as my bank happens to be Bank of America (after purchasing Fleet which purchased BankBoston...), but I thought I'd mention it just in case others were confused by this page.

I think I've completed my order, though no confirmation email yet. Not sure if I should expect one. No debits or pending transactions with respect to my card account yet... but it's only been a few minutes!

JanPB

#39 Post by JanPB » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:15 pm

Clicking on "Dalej" took me to a Bank of America "Verified by Visa" signup sheet. I'm not sure if this is per usual, as my bank happens to be Bank of America (after purchasing Fleet which purchased BankBoston...), but I thought I'd mention it just in case others were confused by this page.

I think I've completed my order, though no confirmation email yet. Not sure if I should expect one. No debits or pending transactions with respect to my card account yet... but it's only been a few minutes![/quote]

I wish I saw this exchange earlier, I could have translated everything for you exactly. It looks like you are OK now. I'm assuming you entered your CC naumber on that BofA page?

Rich Malloy

#40 Post by Rich Malloy » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:59 pm

In fact, I did not, Jan. I hope I haven't misinterpreted these pages.

I did enter my credit card info at what I recall was a "POL-CARD" page (or something), after which I hit the "LEFT BUTTON" as acquarello has reminded us is the correct button, however counter-intuitive. After that, I was brought to the announcement that I last posted. Upon clicking on the "Dalej" button, it opened up an English language "Verified by Visa" signup sheet that said the following:
Protect Your Visa card Online
Verified by Visa protects your Visa card against unauthorized use online - at no additional cost. For details, click here.
To use Verified by Visa on this and future purchases, complete this page. You'll then create your own Verified by Visa password.
Note: The information entered is safe and secure and uses Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption, as described in the Terms of Use below.
Last 6 digits of Social Security Number: XXX - -
Email address: How will it be used?
Signature Panel Code:
Expiration Date: / (MM/YY)
By activating now, you agree to the Bank of America Terms of Use.
Click here to view Bank of America Privacy Policy.

I assumed that this was unrelated to my traffic club purchase, a service provided by Visa that's perhaps a good one but unnecessary for this purchase. I hope I'm not wrong!

I haven't received any payment confirmation (though it doesn't appear that anyone else did either), and there isn't any indication of a charge or pending transaction when I access my online card info. Maybe I didn't actually complete the order...

Hmmm. I just checked my order status at traffic club:

l.p.: 1
ID: 00006773
data zamówienia: 2006-09-29
czas realiz. (dni rob.): 5
wartość: 355,00 zł

Thanks to a PM from posto I received yesterday, I know that "oczekiwanie na płatność" means "waiting for payment".

Could it be that the site is not yet updated? Or is that "verified by VISA" thing actually a requirement of the transaction? #-o

Toxicologist

#41 Post by Toxicologist » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:59 pm

Incidentally, i'm still waiting for my replacement and have just been told by email once again that they are not expecting stock until Oct. 6th

acquarello

#42 Post by acquarello » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:36 pm

Hmm...you shouldn't have to apply to the Visa online protection thing, that's separate from the Pol-Card payment. I never got a payment confirmation from either Traffic-Club or Pol-card either, but I do remember that if you checked on your order status using the "pokaż" button, the payment link disappeared between the two tables (between your order information and order details). I'm pretty sure that my status changed to "pÅ‚atność", then "w realizacje" also on the "zamówienia" page (then when shipped, "zakonczone").

Rich Malloy

#43 Post by Rich Malloy » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:45 pm

And on my "Zamowienia" page, the "pokaz" and "anuluj" buttons are still present, which would seem to indicate that payment has not been completed. I think I'll wait a bit to see if the status changes, and if not attempt to make payment again.

I'd hate to get caught up trying to dispute a double payment situation given the language barrier, so I think a bit of patience may be in order. Does anyone happen to recall if their order status immediately reflected payment, or was there perhaps an intervening processing period?

acquarello

#44 Post by acquarello » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:20 pm

I think that there was an hour delay before my status updated, but I also made the transaction early enough in the morning so that it would still have been business hours in Europe, in case there was some human intervention that was transparent to me. It certainly wouldn't hurt to wait until Monday, but the presence of the "anuluj" button does seem to indicate that they haven't received payment yet (or at least the verification from Polcard that the money has been deposited).

Rich Malloy

#45 Post by Rich Malloy » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:16 pm

Now I think I've got it!

I went through the entire payment process again, got to the "Verified by Visa" page, clicked through it (not signing up for the service), and found myself at what appeared to be a confirm order / confirm info page. I confirmed, and was sent to this page:
Płatność kartą

Zamówienie numer: 00006773
Autoryzacja płatności zakończona pomyślnie.
Which poltran translates in elegant babelfish diction as "Disbursement card order number authorization of disbursement 00006773 ended (ended) prosperously".

posto

#46 Post by posto » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:06 pm

You got it!
Autoryzacja płatności zakończona pomyślnie. - In plain english: "Your payment was authorized successfully" although I like the way they put it: "ended prosperously"

Rich Malloy

#47 Post by Rich Malloy » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:04 pm

posto wrote:You got it!
Thanks to you, and aquarello, and everyone else!

I'd been waiting for a good opportunity to pick up the preferred, Polish-WB "Dekalog" release, and so it was quite serendipitous to find that not only was there a great deal on the documentaries, but even the "Dekalog" set had been marked down considerably. And, just as welcome, downsized in terms of packaging!

It's also quite lucky that of the three documentaries that Criterion's including on the "Veronique" release, only one will overlap with this set.

Doug Cummings

#48 Post by Doug Cummings » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:49 pm

kenho wrote:I watch some shorts and am satisfied with the picture quality of those black & white shorts.

However, the color shorts is a little bit oversaturated, especially the short "X-ray" (face color is too red) and "From a Night Porter's POV".
Ah, but Kieslowski specifically mentioned using Orwo-Color for the latter film, a poor quality film stock from East Germany "so that the distortion of color . . . created a certain distortion of the world. This porter is a distortion of a human being and we wanted the color to accentuate the grotesqueness of the world surrounding him." Think of it as an early form of the visual style of A Short Film About Killing.

Rich Malloy

#49 Post by Rich Malloy » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:12 am

Yes, it's me again. Yes, still fretting over my order! :oops:

I suspect everything is fine, but I became a bit concerned last week when this transaction disappeared from my online account. Traffic-club had not taken payment, and the transaction is no longer listed as "pending", as it had been for several days after my "successful" Sept. 29 order.

My guess is that they aren't charging me until the documentary set is back in stock. The stock notice for that set now reads:

[quote]NAKÅ

posto

#50 Post by posto » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:41 am

"W magazynie" - "In stock"
The documentary set appears to be unavailable.
They probably did not charge you because of the unavailability of one of the titles you ordered.
Their re-stock date for documentary is being pushed third time now.
Curious that no other polish sites ever carried this title.