PWA: Polskie Wydawnictwo Audiowizualne

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
posto

PWA: Polskie Wydawnictwo Audiowizualne

#1 Post by posto » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:41 pm

Narodowy Instytut Audiowizualny

I have just received great 2 disk edition of Krzysztof Kieslowski's 12 documentaries.
The set released by Polish Audivisual Publishers contains the following:
Disk 1
1) From the City of Lódz (Z miasta Lódzi) (1968)
2) I Was a Soldier (Bylem zolnierzem) (1970)
3) Refrain (Refren) (1972)
4) Bricklayer (Murarz) (1973)
5) X-Ray (Przeswietlenie) (1974)
6) Curriculum Vitae (1975)
7) Slate (Klaps) (1976)

Disk 2
1) First Love (Pierwsza milosc) (1974)
2) Hospital (Szpital) (1976)
3) From a Night Porter's Point of View (Z punktu widzenia nocnego portiera) (1978)
4) Seven Women of Different Ages (Siedem kobiet w róznym wieku) (1978)
5) Talking Heads (Gadajace glowy) (1980)
It is a really great set in a slipcase with Criterion style 18 page booklet in polish and English.
All movies have English and French subtitles. Total time is listed at 239 min 50 sec. Region: 2.

I only watched 2 shorts so far: Talking Heads and From a Night Porter's Point of View. Picture quality is very good. I liked both movies, especially From a Night Porter's Point of View (great music by Wojciech Kilar).

Unfortunately I can not help you with any information other than the link above. I searched polish online retailers such as Merlin or Astabe but they do not have it. You can contact PWA thru email: sekretariat@pwa.gov.pl. It is a really superb set.
Last edited by posto on Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

alfons416

#2 Post by alfons416 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:11 am

oh that sounds really nice, what was the price in poland?

posto

#3 Post by posto » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:09 am

The price, including shipping in Poland, was approximately $13. It is a steal, for such a quality DVD set.

According to PWA polish site you can order it from them by depositing 40 zloty ($13) in their bank account - they provide the account number. Unfortunately ordering information is posted only on the polish version of the site. PWA is apparently government backed organization. Front cover of the DVD is shown when you select "Polski" on PWA website. I found Polish website where you can order DVD

Toxicologist

#4 Post by Toxicologist » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:41 am

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Have emailed PWA but not received a reply as yet and unfortunately can't make much sense of the ordering process for the retailer whose link you supplied.

neuro

#5 Post by neuro » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:19 pm

Would you mind explaining the process of placing the funds in their account to an ignorant American (i.e. me), posto? They replied to my e-mail, but gave little information as to how to go about ordering the disc. Any additional info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

dadaistnun

#6 Post by dadaistnun » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:06 am

Wow, this is just fantastic. The only ones I've seen are Night Porter, Hospital, and Talking Heads. This still leaves some of the documentaries unavailable, but this knocks out a significant portion of them.

You can read brief descriptions of the films at this link.

Rich Malloy

#7 Post by Rich Malloy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:19 am

Can anyone who has successfully ordered this set help us out with the particulars of the transaction? I'd love to pick this set up, and for a measly 40 zloty, who could resist?

kieslowski_67

#8 Post by kieslowski_67 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:56 am

Rich Malloy wrote:Can anyone who has successfully ordered this set help us out with the particulars of the transaction? I'd love to pick this set up, and for a measly 40 zloty, who could resist?
Please help. I want to get hold of this set ASAP.

spencerw

#9 Post by spencerw » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:52 pm

There seems to be another online Polish retailer offering this set. I have never used them myself and I don't understand a word of Polish. But the intrepid may have better luck with them than the other site, if only because they appear to use a standard shopping basket and credit card payment system.

If all else fails, you may find this online English help page produced by another Polish retailer of some assistance.

Toxicologist

#10 Post by Toxicologist » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:50 pm

neuro wrote:Would you mind explaining the process of placing the funds in their account to an ignorant American (i.e. me), posto? They replied to my e-mail, but gave little information as to how to go about ordering the disc. Any additional info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
The email i received was quite helpful and listed all relevant details i would need.

Sadly my bank isn't so helpful as they want to charge me £15 to transfer the funds over....the price for the dvd inc postage i was quoted is £10 so not an option now i'm afraid and sadly just can't navigate the registering process on the website listed so as to be able to order from them.

Anybody had sucess ordering from Traffic-Club?

I have managed to fumble my way to the credit card payment part but seemingly it doesn't want to register payment despite the fact i have plenty of available funds on my card etc.

acquarello

#11 Post by acquarello » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:09 pm

Toxicologist wrote:Anybody had sucess ordering from Traffic-Club?

I have managed to fumble my way to the credit card payment part but seemingly it doesn't want to register payment despite the fact i have plenty of available funds on my card etc.
Are you pressing the left button? I just realized this morning that the logic of the button placement was reversed, the button on the right cancels it.

By the way, for people looking for help on ordering, I just fed phrases into Poltran and it works decently.

dadaistnun

#12 Post by dadaistnun » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:43 pm

I have no idea if I just placed an order or not. I wasn't asked for a credit card number, but received an email asking me to click on a link to confirm my order.

acquarello

#13 Post by acquarello » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:01 pm

Oh yeah, it's a separate link that's activated when you go back to check your order.

Basically, log back in, go to panel klienta, click on the "Zamówienia" tab.

If your order is there, click "Pokaż". Between the two tables (order items and your order information), there should be a button that says something like "płacê karta" (I'm going by memory since the link disappears when you've paid, so apologies if the spelling is off). Here's where you put in your credit card information. When you're done, click on the left button, the right button is like a transaction cancel command. :)

dadaistnun

#14 Post by dadaistnun » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:47 pm

Hmm..so far so good, except that after clicking "Pokaż" I'm not getting the "płacê karta" button, only the order details and my address information; there's still no place way to enter the card info. It actually took me a couple of tries even get to this screen, so I'll keep at it.

BTW, thanks for your help, acquarello.

acquarello

#15 Post by acquarello » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:04 pm

Oh, that just reminded me of something. I had gotten an email from them with the subject line "Zmiana statusu zamówienia..." about 2 days after I placed the order (I did it over the weekend), and in the body were the words "autoryzacji karty kredytowej", which I figured was something about credit card authorization. That's when I logged back in and saw that payment button, so maybe it's manually activated/inserted after the order is confirmed as legitimate?

Can kenho or anyone else who's received his/her order from Traffic Club confirm this? Mine hasn't shipped yet.

Rich Malloy

#16 Post by Rich Malloy » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:42 pm

Thanks to everyone for helping with the ordering!

I wonder if it would be a good opportunity to also order the Warner Brothers Polish-release "Dekalog" set? This appears to be it (I was unable to find the set at the other sites).

It's certainly a bit pricey, but per the Beaver seems to be far and away the best release. Is the price at the traffic-club site a fairly decent deal?

Toxicologist

#17 Post by Toxicologist » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:29 pm

Rich Malloy wrote:I wonder if it would be a good opportunity to also order the Warner Brothers Polish-release "Dekalog" set? This appears to be it (I was unable to find the set at the other sites).

It's certainly a bit pricey, but per the Beaver seems to be far and away the best release. Is the price at the traffic-club site a fairly decent deal?
Can't really comment, but there appears to be the original 11 disc boxset available at this site which i imagine would be easier to order from given that it has an English interface on the site :-

dadaistnun

#18 Post by dadaistnun » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:28 am

Oh, that just reminded me of something. I had gotten an email from them with the subject line "Zmiana statusu zamówienia..." about 2 days after I placed the order (I did it over the weekend), and in the body were the words "autoryzacji karty kredytowej", which I figured was something about credit card authorization. That's when I logged back in and saw that payment button, so maybe it's manually activated/inserted after the order is confirmed as legitimate?
I received that email late last night/this morning and everything went swimmingly.

One other thing: when I got the initial email asking me to confirm my order, I was given a new login and password. If I logged in with the login/pw I chose when I created my account, my order did not show up; however it did when I used the login/pw provided in the email.

Thanks again to everyone, especially posto for pointing this release out and acquarello for helping with the ordering process.

posto

#19 Post by posto » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:12 pm

I was away from any computers for the last 2 weeks. My apologies for lack of help. Fortunately there were other members who helped with ordering process. I speak polish fluently so if anybody has any questions please let me know.

According to Traffic-Club Documentary set is unavailable at the moment - till Sept 20.

Note about Dekalog:
Can't really comment, but there appears to be the original 11 disc boxset available at this site which i imagine would be easier to order from given that it has an english interface on the site
It is true that english interface makes it much easier to order, however difference in price $186 (polskiefilmy.co) and 236 zloty=$80 (traffic-club.pl) makes much more sense to go thru pain of navigating polish language site.
I own this edition of Dekalog as well as Facets and polish edition is far better in every respect.

alfons416

#20 Post by alfons416 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:27 am

anyone know why the documentary-set ia unavailable till september?

i ordered it lika a week ago, and din't se how to pay it with card after i made the order so i canceled it. but some days ago when i saw you got the mail with how to pay two days after i ordered again, but i haven't got the mail yet :( when did they write that on the page? do you think i will have to wait till september?

dadaistnun

#21 Post by dadaistnun » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:31 am

I received the second email asking to confirm my order about an hour after the first email (the one thanking me for signing up at their site). The second email was the one with the new login & password. The third email (the one prompting me to go to the site and add my credit card info) came the next day. That was August 2; they charged my card that same day and it appears the dvd has shipped.

I didn't see anything about September when I ordered. Maybe they are temporarily out of stock?

posto

#22 Post by posto » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:39 am

dadaistnun

#23 Post by dadaistnun » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:43 am

Well now that was quite the coincidence: right after I made my last post, the dvd arrived (I had it sent to the office since I wasn't sure how it would ship & I have a p.o. box). Not bad for Poland ---> upstate NY.

Rich Malloy

#24 Post by Rich Malloy » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:44 pm

posto wrote:Note about Dekalog
Can't really comment, but there appears to be the original 11 disc boxset available at this site which i imagine would be easier to order from given that it has an english interface on the site
It is true that english interface makes it much easier to order, however difference in price $186 (polskiefilmy.co) and 236 zloty=$80 (traffic-club.pl) makes much more sense to go thru pain of navigating polish language site.
I own this edition of Dekalog as well as Facets and polish edition is far better in every respect.
Posto, thanks for weighing in, but I think the "Dekalog" traffic-club link I provided above (for 236 zloty) is actually only the first 5 episodes. Or possibly the first 6, I can't really tell. But I don't believe it's the entire set.

And unfortunately I don't have anything to offer but my confusion, save this caveat about ordering: it does not appear to be the complete Dekalog.

Clearly, the Polish release of "Dekalog" is by far the superior release. For $80, it'd certainly be worth it. But for $186? I don't know, that's alot of scratch...

posto

#25 Post by posto » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:35 pm

I think the "Dekalog" traffic-club link I provided above (for 236 zloty) is actually only the first 5 episodes. Or possibly the first 6, I can't really tell. But I don't believe it's the entire set.
It is an entire set. There are 5 double sided disks with 2 episodes on each disk + extras about each episode as well as the 6th disk containing "Archives" - the supplements: interviews etc.
This is the second edition of this set - the first one had 11 disks but the price was $200.