Milestone

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Re: Milestone

#426 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:57 am

drdoros wrote:Michael, we are hoping the Pickford Foundation will work with us to release UCLA's tinted MY BEST GIRL restoration for a BluRay release in the next year.
Great news! I think this is the most purely enjoyable Pickford film I've seen yet (albeit not necessarily the "greatest"). I was surprised by how documentary-esque-looking large chunks of this was. I also noted how Lloyd-esque this seemed at times.

Also saw just Daddy Longlegs, which was lots of fun.

Calvin

#427 Post by Calvin » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:14 pm

drdoros wrote:
Finch wrote:Dennis, are you guys still looking into releasing I AM CUBA on Blu?
Yes, we are. It will take a little while.
It's great to hear that it will be coming, regardless of when that will be! A Killer of Sheep Blu-Ray (w/ My Brother's Wedding, of course) would also be greatly appreciated - by me at least!

Any updates on 'Maborosi'?

drdoros

#428 Post by drdoros » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:06 pm

Calvin wrote:It's great to hear that it will be coming, regardless of when that will be! A Killer of Sheep Blu-Ray (w/ My Brother's Wedding, of course) would also be greatly appreciated - by me at least!
Any updates on 'Maborosi'?
No real updates on anything yet except we're working on Lionel Rogosin Volume 2 (Come Back, Africa and Black Roots) along with the Shirley Clarke features. There's more coming up (lots, lots more) but they are all going theatrical first.

Ashirg

#429 Post by Ashirg » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:19 am

Come Back, Africa - The Films of Lionel Rogosin, Volume 2 is available for pre-order on DVD or blu-ray on Amazon with February 4 release date. Really looking forward to this release - On The Bowery is one of my favorites from last year.

knives

#430 Post by knives » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:52 am

And I'd say the films slated for this set are generally better than the ones from the first as hard an accomplishment as that is.

drdoros

#431 Post by drdoros » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:44 am

What's funny is that I didn't even know it's been announced yet! But it's absolutely true. The masters are going to the replicators next week.

I think people will really love BLACK ROOTS. If you didn't get to see it on TCM earlier this year, it's a wonderful documentary. It's absolutely a sequel to the COME BACK, AFRICA shebeen scene. Instead of Miriam Makeba, you get the Reverend Gary Davis, Jim Collier, Larry Johnson and Wende Smith.

drdoros

#432 Post by drdoros » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:37 pm

To see what we're doing theatrically, we have a new trailer up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awul3lNl ... JtYEW_4lxQ

lady wakasa

#433 Post by lady wakasa » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:50 pm

Dennis - just wanted to say thanks for the Masterpieces of Polish Film series. I saw Faraon this afternoon, and had my mind blown quite well (doubly, since I wanted to be an Egyptologist as a kid). I'll planning on seeing two more, depending on how work goes.

I'm trying to sort through what box set this might be on, but any plans on them show up on Milestone? Or would you have to kill me if you told me? %^D

drdoros

#434 Post by drdoros » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:56 pm

Dear Madam Lady W,

I'm so glad you made it to the screening!

Right now we are focused on getting the Polish film series (http://www.mspresents.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) to over 30 cities in the US and Canada -- and to hopefully add more restorations as the series goes on. But you're right, in regards to Bluray and DVD, we can't comment on that yet.

drdoros

#435 Post by drdoros » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:59 pm

What we can comment on is the new DVD and Blu-Ray release of COME BACK AFRICA: THE FILMS OF LIONEL ROGOSIN VOLUME 2 that also contains BLACK ROOTS and a lot more. The street date is February 25, but you can get it on our website now at http://milestonefilms.com/products/come-back-africa

As usual, we ship out the next day by first class mail.

knives

#436 Post by knives » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:24 pm

You should try to run to his film Austeria which is playing as part of the series and is simply one of the best films ever (best Polish film I've ever seen anyway).

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#437 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:53 pm

drdoros wrote:What we can comment on is the new DVD and Blu-Ray release of COME BACK AFRICA: THE FILMS OF LIONEL ROGOSIN VOLUME 2 that also contains BLACK ROOTS and a lot more.
Ordered!

manicsounds

#438 Post by manicsounds » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:57 am

manicsounds

#439 Post by manicsounds » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:48 am

Lionel Rogosin Volume 2 review at Blu-ray.com:
Come Back Africa and Black Roots

Emak-Bakia

#440 Post by Emak-Bakia » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:25 am

Here's the latest update for backers of the Portrait of Jason Kickstarter:
Dear friends of Portrait of Jason,

A kind backer pointed out that they haven't heard from us in a while and so, my apologies that we haven't written an update in quite some time!

The bad news is that we have been so deep in the digitization/preservation/restoration of the ephemera of Shirley Clarke, that we have been slow in producing the DVD and BluRays of PORTRAIT OF JASON.

The good news is that we have found some incredible material that will make the release particularly cool. We found audio outtakes from the film where Jason tells a few more stories, including the big confrontation with Shirley Clarke that she based the film on. We have found a 1967 short film that she did with her daughter Wendy that has not been seen since the one screening that year. The list goes on and on. We hope to have everything to the authoring/compression lab later this next week and have DVDs and BluRays out to you this summer.

As importantly, though not for this project, we have really extended Project Shirley to create what easily maybe the most ambitious for-profit (well, in theory at least) exploration of a director's work. We have digitized her short films, her home movies dating back to her childhood in the 1920s, her unfinished films that were never screened, her test films and outtakes leading up to some of her great short films of the 1950s (including a few films featuring the choreography of her great friend, the legendary Anna Sokolow), her work in the 1970s with the Teepee Video Space Troupe, interviews with her dating back to 1956 and some later in life that were tremendously revealing and never seen. Many archives around the world were involved as well as her friend, the great filmmaker D.A. Pennebaker who provided a few of the films from Brussels Loops, the work they did together for the 1957 World's Fair. There is easily over a hundred hours of work digitized. And better yet, there will be an entire release featuring the best of these treasures that will give an amazing overview of Shirley Clarke's life that will change the way we look at her, but also at 20th century indie filmmaking.

And though there were some material we couldn't obtain, we were able to identify a film by Harry Smith as a co-creation of Shirley's. We found an interview by Shirley done in 1969 where she said that Warhol heard of Shirley's plan to film Jason and stole him to do a film first. Well, with the help of the Warhol people, that reel (never released) has just been discovered now!

In fact, there is so much, that there will also be a documentary on her life to be created by Milestone's friend, Immy Humes, the fine Oscar-nominated director of A LITTLE VICIOUS and her brilliant film about her father, Doc Humes, titled naturally, DOC. Doc was a friend and admirer of Shirley's and Immy group up in that world, so we thought this particularly fitting. There will be a party to kick off the start of the filmming on April 26th in Brooklyn. Anyone interested in attending, please email me (Dennis) at milefilms@gmail.com

If you have any questions please feel free to email us at anytime! We may have been silent, but we have been consumed by Project Shirley. We hope you will like the results!

manicsounds

#441 Post by manicsounds » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:12 am

drdoros

Re: Milestone Summer Sale

#442 Post by drdoros » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:29 pm

Just to let you know, Milestone is having a Silent Summer where we have dropped the price on many of our silent film DVDs to $10.

My suggestion? LEGONG!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#443 Post by swo17 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:43 pm

I was under the impression that some of those titles (like The Chess Player) were out of print. Is the version being offered as part of the sale a DVD-R or something?

drdoros

#444 Post by drdoros » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:45 pm

No, they are the Image DVDs that we are still carrying. In fact, I just checked and NONE of the sale items are DVD-Rs.

drdoros

#445 Post by drdoros » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:48 pm

I should mention that when Image stopped carrying our DVDs, all 10,000 copies came to our office. We sell them directly on our website. Amazon and other sites have sub-distributors who buy them from us and jack up the price.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#446 Post by swo17 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:53 pm

Thanks for the fast answer!

HitchcockLang

#447 Post by HitchcockLang » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:09 pm

drdoros wrote:No, they are the Image DVDs that we are still carrying. In fact, I just checked and NONE of the sale items are DVD-Rs.
Even the Buster Keaton and Fatty Arbuckle The Cook DVD? I ordered one just a few months back at full price and got a DVD-R. I'd pay an extra $10 to get a pressed disc.

drdoros

#448 Post by drdoros » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:18 pm

Dear HitchcockLang,

Though I'm more of a MalickPowell kind of person, just email me at milefilms@gmail.com to talk.

We found a good deal and re-pressed THE COOK as a DVD now.

Dennis

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#449 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:19 pm

I'm interested in these but would like official confirmation that they're not DVD-Rs before checking out if it's not too much trouble: Back to God's Country, Chess Player, Eternal Love, Evangeline, Legong, Mad Love, Olive Thomas Collection, Piccadilly, White Thunder/Viking, Without Lying Down. Thanks!

drdoros

#450 Post by drdoros » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:58 pm

All of the films you listed are DVDs!

Again, anything on sale for $10 is a DVD. Because we had some really talented interns, we had a big movement last year to go re-press DVD on some of our older titles and come up with new DVD covers. Evangeline and Piccadilly are two such examples.