Cult Films

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
pointless

Cult Films

#1 Post by pointless » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:57 pm

British label Cult Films

Vittorio De Sica's Two Women and Ettore Scola's A Special Day - October 24
Both Blu-rays are up for pre-order on Amazon.co.uk.

La Ciociara a.k.a. Two Women (Vittorio De Sica, 1960)

Special Features:
  • Original Italian Version, with optional English subtitles
    English Version of the film, with original dubbing by Sophia Loren

Una giornata particolare a.k.a. A Special Day (Ettore Scola, 1977)

Special Features:
  • Original Italian Version, with optional English subtitles
    English Version of the film

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: Cult Films

#2 Post by tenia » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:13 am

pointless wrote:La Ciociara a.k.a. Two Women (Vittorio De Sica, 1960)
Another movie restored in France but I'll have to buy a foreign release to get it on BD...

htdm

#3 Post by htdm » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:20 pm

Brilliant news!

I've been waiting for this De Sica title forever.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:22 pm

It's hard to believe it's taken this long for an English friendly release that won't look like dog vomit (presumably!)

chatterjees

#5 Post by chatterjees » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:38 pm

I am a big De Sica fan and have already placed a pre-order for this one yesterday. I wonder whether there is at least a faint chance that Criterion had picked it up for US release. Cult is releasing this one along with Scola's A Special Day, which is already released by Criterion. So, I am just trying to speculate something :) A Criterion release of this one and Shoeshine will be ecstatic.

TMDaines

#6 Post by TMDaines » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:12 am

I would buy both but already have the Criterion and Cristaldi Blu-rays with extras.

rapta

#7 Post by rapta » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:51 am

By the way, Cult Films is actually the new name of Argent/Nouveaux, so any separate threads on those labels should be merged with this one (if there are any...there is one for Nouveaux here).

Good news on these though. Argent/Nouveaux actually do a good job most of the time, transfer-wise.

rockysds

#8 Post by rockysds » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:43 pm

Blu-rays of Marriage Italian Style, Umberto D., Boccaccio '70 and most excitingly L'Innocente all have pre-orders up on Amazon with release dates in April-June.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#9 Post by Rayon Vert » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:59 am

rockysds wrote:and most excitingly L'Innocente
Indeed, that's terrific news. Apparently it's a "new HD master" - I'm wondering if there's a chance Criterion would do this one.

sabbath

#10 Post by sabbath » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:01 pm

Beaver on L'innocente. I didn't expect much, but it seems fantastic!

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/blu-ray_ ... lu-ray.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Emilio

#11 Post by Emilio » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:34 pm

sabbath wrote:Beaver on L'innocente. I didn't expect much, but it seems fantastic!

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/blu-ray_ ... lu-ray.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes! With this and the upcoming Ludwig... I hope Sandra will finally be coming as well.

Rayon Vert

#12 Post by Rayon Vert » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:58 pm

sabbath wrote:Beaver on L'innocente. I didn't expect much, but it seems fantastic!

One of his best. But the blurb by Alexander Walker says "Visconti's last great film". Uh... it was his last film period.

kekid

#13 Post by kekid » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:13 am

Amazon.co.uk took my order for L'Innocente, but I noted that it has not been dispatched yet, so I checked their site. It says "this item cannot be delivered to the USA". I don't know why they would take my order (placed long time ago) if they cannot ship to USA. Why is this happening? Has anyone in USA received it? If so, from what source? This is very frustrating. Any insight into the problem will be appreciated. Thank you.

Rayon Vert

#14 Post by Rayon Vert » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:32 am

I checked the site and it says the same for my country, Canada. However I noticed there are other sellers than the "Amazon-fulfilled" one and just now I was able to place an order for the item from one of them (and at a cheaper price). Maybe cancel your order and order from one of those other sellers.

Aunt Peg

#15 Post by Aunt Peg » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:39 am

I pre-order the Visconti ages ago. The rest of my order has been shipped but the Visconti is sitting waiting to be sent with the message "We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date."

I note that L'Innocente doesn't ship to Australia now but that wasn't the case when I pre-ordered it. I think it's just a matter of when Amazon themselves get stock.

kekid

#16 Post by kekid » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:53 pm

Rayon Vert wrote:I checked the site and it says the same for my country, Canada. However I noticed there are other sellers than the "Amazon-fulfilled" one and just now I was able to place an order for the item from one of them (and at a cheaper price). Maybe cancel your order and order from one of those other sellers.
Thank you. I did this, and it seems to have worked.
By the way, I wrote to Amazon customer service, and they replied that they could not figure out why my original order had not shipped. They asked me to cancel it and submit a new order. When I tried to place a new order, the system would not allow me, saying this order cannot be shipped to USA. I noted that the supplier Amazon is fulfilling the order for is Cult itself. Clearly they took all orders when the item was first posted, and then just sat on the order, communicating nothing. Very poor service.
I would like to suggest to other forum members outside the EU geography waiting for this item to check if Amazon is shipping to their geography.

Rayon Vert

#17 Post by Rayon Vert » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:32 pm

I took the opportunity to also order Ludwig, it's going to be a treat to watch both. It was also cheaper getting it from amazon.co.uk than amazon.ca. Now I'm just waiting for a release of Death in Venice - hopefully from Criterion.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#18 Post by domino harvey » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:32 pm

You are not buying the version sold by Amazon direct (which is out of stock). You can't purchase fulfilled by Amazon titles (which are Marketplace items). I had no issues trying to check out with it now. Look at the sidebar on the item page (search for it rather than clicking on your old order to reorder the item) and you'll see the Amazon direct version in the sidebar

chatterjees

#19 Post by chatterjees » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:00 pm

So, what is happening with the item? I ordered this ages ago directly from amazon, but mine is still not shipped. It was released last week right?

kekid

#20 Post by kekid » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:32 pm

chatterjees wrote:So, what is happening with the item? I ordered this ages ago directly from amazon, but mine is still not shipped. It was released last week right?
I had ordered this item from Amazon the day it was first posted (hence it would have been impossible for that order to go to a marketplace seller). If Amazon got any stock at all, my order should have been dispatched by now. I directly communicated with Amazon customer service to find out what was going on. They said they could not figure out what happened to that order, and advised me to cancel the order and place a new order. If you see the main part of the order screen (not the side bar), you will see in red print that the item cannot be shipped to USA. Amazon direct is temporarily out of stock. Some of marketplace suppliers are also not shipping to USA. Fortunately I found one who does. I suggest you cancel the order and place another with a marketplace supplier willing to ship to USA.

Here is my guess. Amazon used Cult as the primary supplier for orders they took directly, and Cult had the practice of not shipping to USA (and some other countries). Hence all those orders fell through. I have no direct basis to support this conjecture, but I arrived at this when I saw that the main screen of Amazon order screen goes to Cult.

isakorg2

#21 Post by isakorg2 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:24 pm

I placed an order directly from the Cult Films website today and received a confirmation notice, which included notice that shipment was being processed. I'm in the U.S. So far, so good. Knock on wood.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#22 Post by domino harvey » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:15 am

There is no way these are being blocked to the states if shipped from Amazon. They probably just don't have stock right now-- it's not uncommon for Amazon to run out of copies even for pre-orders, especially if demand was higher than expected

perkizitore

#23 Post by perkizitore » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:53 am

Zavvi has it listed for pre-order, is it likely the release was pulled?

antnield

#24 Post by antnield » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:50 am

perkizitore wrote:Zavvi has it listed for pre-order, is it likely the release was pulled?
There's a copy in my local HMV, so it definitely exists.

perkizitore

#25 Post by perkizitore » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:26 am

I didn't dispute its existence and the plethora of sellers offering the film on Amazon marketplace is a testament to that, I was merely entertaining the possibility of being pulled after the street date!