Panamint

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
tryavna

#1 Post by tryavna » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:53 pm

Panamint

Since the inclusion of Humphrey Jennings' "Listen to Britain" on Criterion's release of "A Canterbury Tale" has stirred up some excitement around here, I thought I'd direct people's attention to this modest Scottish outfit that specializes in releasing Scottish and British documentaries. I own their releases of John Greirson's pioneering documentary Drifters and the GPO favorite Night Mail. I was particularly pleased with their release of the full cut of Drifters, but their print of Night Mail was rather sadly beaten up. Nevertheless, it's good to see someone taking the time to make these available.

They are planning several collections of GPO and other British documentaries of the 1930s and 1940s, including some short films by Jennings, Grierson, Alberto Cavalcanti, and Harry Watt. They're well worth looking into, if you have much interest in classic documentaries.

antnield

Re: Panamint

#2 Post by antnield » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:05 am

I'm resurrecting a thread almost five years old...

...but Panamint have recently made the move into Blu-ray with 'Faces of Scotland', a nine-film collection of Scottish documentaries from the 1930s to the 1970s, many of which would easily fit alongside those included on the BFI's British Transport Films collections, say, or bigger sets such as 'Land of Promise' or 'Shadows of Progress'.

Anyhow, here my full thoughts on the Digital Fix.

MichaelB

#3 Post by MichaelB » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:52 pm

I'm tempted to buy this just for Seawards the Great Ships, a film that really demands the best possible presentation. It's easy to see why it took two years to make.

antnield

#4 Post by antnield » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:20 pm

Two more recent Digital Fix reviews of Panamint's doc releases: Fishermen at War: Atlantic Trawler and Other Rarities and two of their Films of Scotland comps, Weave Me a Rainbow / Young in Heart.

rockysds

#5 Post by rockysds » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:23 am

Pretty interesting upcoming blu-ray from Panamint: Battle for Music. Includes Len Lye's Musical Poster No 1 and other wartime shorts.

peerpee
not perpee

#6 Post by peerpee » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:52 am

God, what truly foul and unfortunate graphic design!

Kauno

#7 Post by Kauno » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:48 am

peerpee wrote:God, what truly foul and unfortunate graphic design!
Hello, the World is a hassle.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#8 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:32 am

peerpee wrote:God, what truly foul and unfortunate graphic design!
Tracking the font it comes up as Art Crapo

HerrSchreck

#9 Post by HerrSchreck » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:58 pm

Wow--OT of course, but looking at the author of this thread just made me melancholic--I sure wish we would see Tryavna around these parts here and there. I know he got busy with a new job or something . . . but he was such a bright, and well-mannered guy. And such excellent taste-- miss him.

antnield

#10 Post by antnield » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:18 am

Ian Sellar's Venus Peter just released on Blu-ray.