Studio Canal / Kinowelt / Optimum

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
MichaelB

Re: Studio Canal/Kinowelt/Optimum

#1301 Post by MichaelB » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:15 am

I was talking about the quality of the headline restorations.

dwk

#1302 Post by dwk » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:37 am

Does StudioCanal have anything to do with the Tati restorations? I thought that they were being done by Les Films de Mon Oncle, the Technicolor Foundation and the Fondation Groupama Gan.

JamesF

#1303 Post by JamesF » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:32 am

feihong wrote:The director's cut on the Anchor Bay disc had the introduction of Christopher Lee's Lord Summerisle when he sees two snails mating outside the inn (if I remember this correctly). He makes some remark about fertility and then sends a young lad upstairs to be deflowered by Willow, the landlord's daughter.

Then there is an extended cut of Willow's Song, which includes the full lyric and doesn't drop the beat, the way the theatrical cut does.

Hopefully that much will be on the "final cut?" I don't remember other edits very clearly, though there may have been some extra closeups in the final scene that were originally cut for animal cruelty or something of the like?
Having seen the Final Cut at the cinema last night - the snails scene is back in, but Willow's Song is still missing the same footage as before. Very much hoping that doesn't have a knock-on effect to the DC on the Blu-Ray if they're using seamless branching.

manicsounds

#1304 Post by manicsounds » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:49 am

manicsounds

#1305 Post by manicsounds » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:24 am

manicsounds

#1306 Post by manicsounds » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:57 am

manicsounds

#1307 Post by manicsounds » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:50 pm

The Wicker Man Final Cut, BlurayDefinition review

Beware people who ordered the steelbook edition from Zavvi: Looks like it's only a 2-disc set, and not the 3-disc set. It's missing the second BD with the theatrical and extended cuts with the commentary track.

Finch

#1308 Post by Finch » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:19 am

Dead of Night (1945) Blu on 24 February according to Amazon. Touch wood it's one of their good discs!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1309 Post by domino harvey » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:11 am

Even one of their bad ones would be better than the existing releases!

perkizitore

#1310 Post by perkizitore » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:10 am

manicsounds wrote:The Wicker Man Final Cut, BlurayDefinition review

Beware people who ordered the steelbook edition from Zavvi: Looks like it's only a 2-disc set, and not the 3-disc set. It's missing the second BD with the theatrical and extended cuts with the commentary track.
No, it doesn't, it is just missing the soundtrack!

eerik

#1311 Post by eerik » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:38 am

perkizitore wrote:
manicsounds wrote:The Wicker Man Final Cut, BlurayDefinition review

No, it doesn't, it is just missing the soundtrack!
Yes, it is. It includes first disc from the BD release and first disc from the DVD release.

MichaelB

#1312 Post by MichaelB » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:40 am

Although it's not an entirely unattractive option for those who have no interest in the theatrical cut and already have the extended cut on DVD.

neilist

#1313 Post by neilist » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:15 pm

MichaelB wrote:Although it's not an entirely unattractive option for those who have no interest in the theatrical cut and already have the extended cut on DVD.
I've just been sent the following...
Thank you for purchasing “The Wicker Man - The Final Cut - Zavvi Exclusive Limited Edition Steelbook”.

As you may already be aware when we first announced this title it was expected to be a 3 disc release containing extra cuts of the movie, unfortunately it has come to our attention that the product only contained a 2 disc version.

We have contacted the studio responsible for the release of The Wicker Man and arrangements have been made to send the missing third disc to you. As soon as we are ready to send these to you we will be back in touch.

Please accept our apologies for this error and any inconvenience or disappointment it may have caused.

Kind regards,
Zavvi Customer Service Team

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1314 Post by tenia » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:21 am

That's not very precise either, since the 2nd disc is different in the Steelbook than the regular set : what is in the Steelbook a simple DF DVD with a port of the Final Cut and a few extras is in the regular set a completely different BD with the TC and the DVD + a few extras.
So when they're saying the "third" disc, do they mean they're going to send the 3rd disc (aka the OST CD) or the missing BD ?

neilist

#1315 Post by neilist » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:33 am

Since they talk about the steelbook originally being intended to have 'extra cuts of the movie', I'm really expecting it to be the missing BD.

manicsounds

#1316 Post by manicsounds » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:52 am

Last edited by manicsounds on Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

rrenault

#1317 Post by rrenault » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:09 am

andyli wrote:
Drucker wrote:Pretty assume the Contempt re-issue is going to be the new restoration which just played at Film Forum.
Did you see it at Film Forum? I went with high hope but it turned out to be the same transfer as the Studio Canal blu-ray years ago. Same color inconsistency. Same sudden drop of quality from shot to shot, from scene to scene. Same "grain management". Even the same scratches and specks. I couldn't figure out what exactly is new about this restoration...

Very disappointed.
I saw the 50th anniversary "restoration" of Contempt at the Nouveau Latina in Paris, and it looked just like the transfer on the Criterion disc with the 'flaws' all in the exact same places.

Is this pretty much irreparable?

http://bp0.blogger.com/_apKxJY_N77M/SGo ... ardot2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#1318 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:08 pm

My god almighty, the Wicker Man 3-disc Blu set that just came out is phenomenal. The picture quality is just stunning, and the final cut may very well be the best cut of the film out there, though I'll need to revisit all three side by side soon. The sequences that aren't recently found footage (in other words, most of the film) look so great on Blu, like they were filmed yesterday. And the soundtrack CD! I couldn't be more pleased.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1319 Post by swo17 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:34 pm

Just to kill your happy import buzz a little: I'm not sure how comprehensive it will be, but it's getting a U.S. release in January as well.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#1320 Post by jindianajonz » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:54 pm

swo17 wrote:Just to kill your happy import buzz a little: I'm not sure how comprehensive it will be, but it's getting a U.S. release in January as well.
I was just looking at that, but it's only a single disc and presumably only contains the final cut (though i'm not seeing any special features so I can't be certain)

You win again, England...

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#1321 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:12 pm

swo17 wrote:Just to kill your happy import buzz a little: I'm not sure how comprehensive it will be, but it's getting a U.S. release in January as well.
Yeah, I wanted all three cuts in HD and all the features on offer. The soundtrack disc is pretty great too. They're not coming close to that in the one disc US release.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1322 Post by swo17 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:17 pm

I wasn't aware that the U.S. release would be only one disc. Now I'm glad I already imported it!

eerik

#1324 Post by eerik » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:25 am

Received theatrical/director's cut disc for my The Wicker Man steelbook today. Nice little surprise, didn't ask for it, didn't get any e-mail notice beforehand, ordered the steelbook after it was already confirmed to include only the final cut.

broadwayrock

#1325 Post by broadwayrock » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:36 pm

Studio Canal are now selling photographic prints, mugs, jigsaw puzzles and mobile phone covers based on promotional material of the british films they own such as: Peeping Tom, Brighton Rock, Dont Look Now. They also have various Carry On, Ealing and Hammer films amongst the other titles.

The prices seem quite expensive though.