Thunderbird Releasing (née Soda Pictures)

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
zedz

Re: Soda Pictures

#76 Post by zedz » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:56 pm

I've just received Soda's Chris Marker Collection, and it's a lovely package that's probably going to divide forum members seeing as it's extremely slimline (three discs taking up less space than a regular case - yay!) but employs slots (boo!) But I like the design. It's sturdy rather than flimsy, using textured, coated cardboard that looks like it will wear better than most such packages. It actually feels more like plastic than cardboard. You could probably pour a glass of red wine (or the blood of the proletariat) all over it and just wipe it off. Inside fold-out design is a mosaic of screenshots, and a substantial booklet (32 pp, two hefty essays, no filler) is included.

JamesF

#77 Post by JamesF » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:44 pm

JamesF

#78 Post by JamesF » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:29 pm

For those of you who like these sorts of things, the pre-order for the Only Lovers Left Alive limited steelbook is now online:

http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/only-lover ... filiateWin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently if you enter the code "KICKOFF" you get a discount today.

I can promise you two hours of bonus features as well!

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#79 Post by jindianajonz » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:38 pm

That's a great looking case!

rapta

#80 Post by rapta » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:07 pm

JamesF wrote:For those of you who like these sorts of things, the pre-order for the Only Lovers Left Alive limited steelbook is now online:

http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/only-lover ... filiateWin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently if you enter the code "KICKOFF" you get a discount today.

I can promise you two hours of bonus features as well!
Any update on The Kelly Reichardt Collection and/or The Jim Jarmusch Collection? The latter still pencilled in for October? Presumably the former not ready yet for an August release though (I could be wrong)?

JamesF

#81 Post by JamesF » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:22 pm

rapta wrote:Any update on The Kelly Reichardt Collection and/or The Jim Jarmusch Collection? The latter still pencilled in for October? Presumably the former not ready yet for an August release though (I could be wrong)?
Almost done on the Reichardt set, full specs will be announced either next week or the week after. Release date is August 25th, pre-order should be up soon too. (EDIT: Shows what I know, it's already up - http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Kelly-Reich ... uraycom-21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Probably won't have any Jarmusch Collection news until mid-August, except yes, it's still due to be released in early October.

JamesF

#82 Post by JamesF » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:01 am

As promised last week, fully confirmed specs of the Kelly Reichardt set:
This essential collection brings together Kelly Reichardt's debut RIVER OF GRASS (1994) and the three films OLD JOY (2006), WENDY AND LUCY (2008) and MEEK'S CUTOFF (2010) that established her as one of the most important auteurs in modern American independent cinema.

OLD JOY (2006)
OLD JOY is the story of two old friends, Kurt (WILL OLDHAM) and Mark (DANIEL LONDON), who reunite for a weekend camping trip in the mountains of Oregon. The trip signifies different things for them – for Mark a respite from imminent fatherhood, for Kurt a part of a long series of adventures. As the trip progresses and the landscape changes, the friends begin to examine their lives and their friendship. “Exquisite, achingly beautiful” - LA WEEKLY
SPECIAL FEATURES
• River Of Grass (75 mins, 480i) - Kelly Reichardt's debut film, never released before in the UK (with optional English subtitles)
• “Old Joy" - original short story by Jon Raymond
• Trailers for Old Joy, Wendy & Lucy, Meek's Cutoff and Night Moves
Aspect ratio: 16:9 / Running time: 73 mins / 1080p / Colour / 23.976hz / Audio: English LPCM Stereo / Subtitles: English

WENDY & LUCY (2008)
WENDY & LUCY is the story of Wendy (Oscar-nominated MICHELLE WILLIAMS, Blue Valentine), who is driving to Alaska in hope of a summer of lucrative work and the start of a new life with her dog, Lucy. When her car breaks down in Oregon, however, the thin fabric of her financial situation comes apart, and she finds herself desperately searching for her only true friend. Starring Kelly Reichardt’s own beloved dog as Lucy. “Pure poetry” - TOTAL FILM
SPECIAL FEATURES
• Kelly Reichardt: In Conversation (73 mins, audio) - a comprehensive retrospective Q&A with Kelly recorded at University of Oxford in May 2014
• “Train Choir" - original short story by Jon Raymond
Aspect ratio: 16:9 / Running time: 80 mins / 1080p / Colour / 23.976hz / Audio: English DTS
MA 5.1 Surround / LPCM Stereo / Subtitles: English

MEEK’S CUTOFF (2010)
MEEK’S CUTOFF tells the story of Emily Tetherow (MICHELLE WILLIAMS), a young pioneer who sets out with her husband and families in 1845 along the infamous Oregon trail. Led by Stephen Meek, the families are soon lost and start to mistrust each other and their guide. After days of wandering in the inhospitable landscape, they cross paths with a Native American and must decide if they can trust this man to lead them to safety. “MASTERFUL” - THE GUARDIAN
SPECIAL FEATURES
• The Making Of Meek's Cutoff (10 mins)
Aspect ratio: 16:9 (1.33:1 pillarboxed) / Running time: 104 mins / 1080p / Colour / 23.976hz Audio: English DTS MA 5.1 Surround / LPCM Stereo / Subtitles: English
Certificate: 15
RRP: £34.99
Cat no: SODA253BD
Barcode: 5060238031318
I can also confirm there'll be a booklet featuring a really nice new piece on Kelly by frequent collaborator/indie horror maestro Larry Fessenden.
Last edited by JamesF on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelB

#83 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:44 am

Looks superb - congratulations! I need to catch up with these, and I can't think of a better way.

StevenJ0001

#84 Post by StevenJ0001 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:30 am

Wow, this will be a must buy for me! Thanks for the info, looks great!

Was River of Grass shot on tape, hence the interlaced SD transfer? Or just no film print available to scan?

mistakaninja

#85 Post by mistakaninja » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:07 am

It was 16mm.

StevenJ0001

#86 Post by StevenJ0001 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:38 am

mistakaninja wrote:It was 16mm.
Thanks. Bit of a pity they couldn't get an HD transfer done but it's a minor complaint, since it's only listed as an extra, and it's nice to be getting the film at all.

JamesF

#87 Post by JamesF » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:14 pm

Yes, River Of Grass was transferred from the (only existing) DigiBeta tape master. The costs of doing a new HD scan would have been far too prohibitive, and we would rather include the film than not, especially since the only other DVD release is OOP.

StevenJ0001

#88 Post by StevenJ0001 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:37 pm

JamesF wrote:Yes, River Of Grass was transferred from the (only existing) DigiBeta tape master. The costs of doing a new HD scan would have been far too prohibitive, and we would rather include the film than not, especially since the only other DVD release is OOP.
Makes perfect sense. Thanks!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#89 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:39 pm

Thank you for making the SD material NTSC compatible, it's always nice when a non-American label remembers us importers!

EddieLarkin

#90 Post by EddieLarkin » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:27 pm

domino harvey wrote:Thank you for making the SD material NTSC compatible, it's always nice when a non-American label remembers us importers!
And thanks from us non-importers who feel PAL speed up is a ridiculous practice that should have (and easily could have) died years ago. It still annoys me when I pop a BFI DVD in to find it's 576i50, even though my TVs have been able to display NTSC signals since at least the late 90s.

manicsounds

#91 Post by manicsounds » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:18 pm

What are the extras on the Pulp documentary?

JamesF

#92 Post by JamesF » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:40 pm

manicsounds wrote:What are the extras on the Pulp documentary?
Concert Tracks: I Spy, Mis-shapes, Sheffield: Sex City, Help the Aged
Extended Band Interviews
Extended Sheffield Interviews
Saskia Cocker Sings "Something Changed"
Behind the Scenes
Trailer
Love Story trailer

repeat

#93 Post by repeat » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:12 am

JamesF, seeing as Soda is dipping a toe into the Blu-ray market recently, can you divulge if a Blu is being planned for Camille Claudel 1915?

JamesF

#94 Post by JamesF » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:19 am

repeat wrote:JamesF, seeing as Soda is dipping a toe into the Blu-ray market recently, can you divulge if a Blu is being planned for Camille Claudel 1915?
Sorry to say the answer's "no" on that one, just a DVD to be released on October 13th.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#95 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:09 pm

JamesF wrote:
repeat wrote:JamesF, seeing as Soda is dipping a toe into the Blu-ray market recently, can you divulge if a Blu is being planned for Camille Claudel 1915?
Sorry to say the answer's "no" on that one, just a DVD to be released on October 13th.
In case you weren't aware it is available on blu with french HoH subs. Also at the moment it is in the promotion 33% discount if 3 blus bought on Amazon fr

repeat

#96 Post by repeat » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:39 pm

Thanks to James for the info and to Nabob for the tip - I was aware of the French Blu, but hadn't noticed that it had HoH subs!

JamesF

#97 Post by JamesF » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:46 pm

As previously mentioned though, the subtitles on that disc are only in French.

JamesF

#98 Post by JamesF » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:49 am

Bonus features confirmed for our Only Lovers Left Alive Blu-Ray on our online shop:
The BLU-RAY has over 2 hours of Bonus Material:

Travelling At Night With Jim Jarmusch
Deleted & Extended Scenes
Music Video - "Hal" by Yasmine Hamdan
Interview with Tilda Swinton
Interview with Tom Hiddleston
Interview with Mia Wasikowska
UK and Australian Trailers
UK Teaser with Tom Hiddleston introduction
Also Available by Jim Jarmusch

Please note that the Bonus Material is EXCLUSIVE to the BLU-RAY. The DVD version contains just the film itself.
And for the hell of it, another shoutout for our fancy new online shop: https://sodapictures.squarespace.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#99 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:48 am

Everything listed after the music video in the special features appears to be exclusive to the Soda Pictures release, FYI (Or at least not on the US release)

JamesF

#100 Post by JamesF » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:19 am

"Exploded" packshot for the Kelly Reichardt Collection - all discs are housed in a Digipak with booklet enclosed: