It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Flicker Alley
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:33 pm 

Congratulations to Flicker Alley for another fine release: Laila was one of the discoveries of this year for me and the DVD looks very strong. The only nitpick I have is that the subtitles went by very fast in a few instances, literally for a second, before disappearing again. I can't commend on the score since I can't abide by silent film music most of the time (the Murnau Nosferatu a rare exception) but the film is a treat and should hopefully get a few votes in the end of year polls.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:25 am 

An announcement made by David Shepard on Nitrateville:
DShepFilm wrote:
Assuming the contract now with the Cinematheque's legal department goes through, next year Film Preservation Associates will be releasing through Flicker Alley an Albatros DVD box set with KEAN, LE BRASIER ARDENT, FEU MATHIAS PASCAL, GRIBICHE and LES NOUVEAUX MESSIEURS; also the complete serial LA MAISON DE MYSTERE as a separate release.

Great news. All the best Albatros titles are going to be on DVD.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:05 pm 

What A Disgrace wrote:
So how 'bout that box of Soviet silents I heard about, eh?

LANDMARKS OF EARLY SOVIET FILM
A 4-Disc DVD Collection of 8 Groundbreaking Films

Release Date: September 20, 2011

This groundbreaking collection features eight seminal films from the Soviet silent era - all are new to DVD:

Sergei M. Eisenstein's last silent and seldom seen Old and New (1929)

Dziga Vertov's Stride, Soviet (1926)

Victor Turin's Turksib (1930)

Esther Shub's The Fall of the Romanov Dynasty (1927)

Boris Barnet's The House on Trubnaya (1928)

Lev Kuleshov's The Extraordinary Adventures of Mr. West in the Land of the Bolsheviks (1924) and By the Law (1926)

Mikhail Kalatozov's Salt for Svanetia (1930)

These films are presented with original Russian intertitles with English subtitles (optional on 4 of the films) except Turksib and The Fall of the Romanov Dynasty which have full-screen English intertitles; all have musical scores new for these editions by Robert Israel, Eric Beheim, Alexander Rannie and Zoran Borisavljevic.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:56 pm 

Awesome release news and prob my fav of the year so far.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:01 am 

Holy crap, what a bonanza!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:05 am 

Fantastic, getting this on day one.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:04 am 

Ashirg wrote:
Victor Turin's Turksib (1930)

I know this is selfish, but damnit just when BFI releases it too. Too many editions of a movie though is probably not something worth complaining about.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:04 am 

Five, I believe, of these titles were previously released on VHS, when David Shepard released through Kino, and the fact that two of them (does anyone know which?) still have burned-in English subs suggests those at least are using the same or similar prints. It will be interesting to see how By the Law (one of the Kino VHS releases) compares with the restoration from Filmmuseum (who will also release Trubnaya), and how Turksib - here with English-only titles (as on VHS) - compares with the forthcoming BFI, and any others the latter release. Incidentally, The Fall of the Romanoff Dynasty was issued on DVD by Eureka in pre-MoC days, using I think the Shepard edition.

I'm not pouring cold water on this release - a brave and impressive one in these times - just suggesting the possibility that some titles may be, or soon become, available elsewhere in superior editions (and the BFI series will be Dual Format of course).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:15 am 

The only complaints I could manage about this set are that it isn't in Blu-ray, and that there's only eight films in the set instead of eighteen. Only the Melies set is a more titanic accomplishment. Bravo, I know what I want under my Christmas tree.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:50 am 

Heh, a bit upset now that I just recently got the Filmmuseum release of By the Law, but everything else in the set is new for me, so I'm definitely snatching it up when it comes out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:00 am 

I literally cannot wait for this.
I can finally retire my old image laserdiscs now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:07 am 

For the record, the BFI edition of Turksib will also have English intertitles only.

The purpose of the BFI edition is to trace the links between Turksib and the 1930s British documentary movement, so for scholarly reasons it was considered important to present the film in exactly the form that John Grierson and his colleagues would have seen it.

That said, I have no idea whether it's the same version as the one on Flicker Alley's edition - and in any case the BFI edition comes with enough unique content (lots of British documentaries including Night Mail's HD debut, a hefty context-setting booklet) to make double-dipping relatively painless. I'll certainly be getting both myself.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:18 am 

Ashirg wrote:
What A Disgrace wrote:

Amazon Pre-order

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:56 am 

perkizitore wrote:
Ashirg wrote:
What A Disgrace wrote:

Amazon Pre-order

If you're willing to fiddle with deepdiscount or dvdplanet, pre-order price is $12 cheaper there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:06 pm 

And it's $15 less at Flicker Alley.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:07 pm 

I just pre-ordered the set from Flicker Alley. Be aware that they charge when the item is ordered, not when it is shipped. Personally I don't mind this, but I thought you all would appreciate a heads-up if you haven't ordered from them before.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:36 pm 

Bright Lights Film Journal on Laila:

Quote:
While much of the melodrama on display in this extravagantly plotted Norwegian film must've seemed archaic even in 1929, I can imagine audiences being won over then, just as I am now, by its emotional honesty and sheer visual gorgeousness. Virtually unknown today, Laila, thanks to the folks at Flicker Alley, emerges as a classic.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:45 am 

That you aren't being swamped with rave reviews over Landmarks of Early Soviet Cinema; here or otherwise, is a crime against humanity, and frankly a little baffling. It truly gives the Melies box a run for its money, and I hope its not the last time Flicker Alley flirts with the Reds.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:35 pm 

What A Disgrace wrote:
That you aren't being swamped with rave reviews over Landmarks of Early Soviet Cinema; here or otherwise, is a crime against humanity, and frankly a little baffling. It truly gives the Melies box a run for its money, and I hope its not the last time Flicker Alley flirts with the Reds.

From the Front Row.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:33 pm 

What A Disgrace wrote:
Any chance you could post some screen caps? I'd be especially interested to see how By the Law and The Old and the New compare to the respective German discs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:40 am 

I think the Front Row review gives a fair assessment of the box. It's a mix of great-looking new transfers and some recycled old ones.

The Old and the New is a slightly different cut--the German disc is the version entitled The General Line. The German disc tends to be darker; you can see more detail in the Flicker Alley transfer, but at times it's a little milky to my eyes. Picture quality, I'd say that they're ultimately a tossup, which means that the Flicker Alley disc is also pretty good. Personally, I like the orchestral score for the German version.

By the Law is the old transfer that was released on laserdisc years ago. I haven't seen the German restoration, but I suspect it will look better.

I think the selection and quality of the newer transfers make the box more than worth getting, though I wish they had fixed the chroma noise problems in some of the older transfers.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:57 am 

What's the source for Turksib? I assume the print itself is the Grierson-supervised English version?

(Which is notionally fine, since by all accounts the rhythmic use of intertitles is more effective than in the original Russian version, but I haven't seen it myself).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:46 am 

According to their Twitter, the release of Hugo has resulted in a surge of interest in Melies, prompting their boxed set to go temporarily out of print!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:00 am 

I was wondering about that. Great news, really- I wouldn't be surprised if creating a renewed interest in Melies was one of the reasons Scorsese took that project.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:37 pm 

matrixschmatrix wrote:
I was wondering about that. Great news, really- I wouldn't be surprised if creating a renewed interest in Melies was one of the reasons Scorsese took that project.

Looks like they're including the Melies Encore films in the newly-published set:

http://flickeralley.com/fat_melies_01.html

They were probably blindsided by the sudden rise in interest. Really nice to see though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 26  Next