Flicker Alley

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
HerrSchreck

#76 Post by HerrSchreck » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:42 pm

Here's a quote from the 11/21 interview w Massino w Silents Are Golden, where they talk about the Hughes stuff.
The release of the Howard Hughes films, particularly the "Two Arabian Knights" - the sole film to win the one-time-only Oscar category for Best Comedy Direction - was quite a coup. How were you able to bring back those long-missing films? I was really only able to do it through the passion, and support of my partners on that project, Turner Classic Movies and the Department of Film at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.

At UNLV, Prof. Hart Wegner worked for several years to bring the Hughes collection to UNLV, as he saw it as the cornerstone for a serious film research facility. I made several trips to meet with Hart and Film Dept chairman Francisco Menendez during the spring and summer of 2003 (and with the urging and support of film historian Kevin Brownlow). Finally, by early 2004, Charlie Tabesh at Turner Classic Movies was fully committed to making new digital broadcast editions of these films a reality. A highlight for me from this project was to be able to introduce them at the festival Il Cinema Ritrovato in Bologna, Italy.
and from the start of the interview:
Founded in 2002 and working in partnership with such diverse sources as Blackhawk Films, Turner Classic Movies and the French company Lobster Films, Masino's Flicker Alley has already presented three silent films produced by Howard Hughes that were not seen since their initial release in the late 1920s - "The Mating Call," "The Racket" and the Academy Award-winning "Two Arabian Knights." Masino has also released F.W.Murnau's rarely-seen "Phantom" (1922), the landmark 1917 serial "Judex," Lewis Milestone's 1928 "The Garden of Eden" starring 1920s icon Corinne Griffith, and a two-disc collection of Rudolph Valentino's features including reconstructions of the long-lost "The Young Rajah" (1922) and "Stolen Moments" (1920).
They definitely have been out, or at least on shelves here in NYC. I can't speak for elsewhere, but certainly something happened to squelch em for the moment.

Rufus T. Firefly

#77 Post by Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:03 pm

HerrSchreck wrote:They definitely have been out, or at least on shelves here in NYC. I can't speak for elsewhere, but certainly something happened to squelch em for the moment.
I can't account for what you may have seen on the shelves, but Flicker Alley have not released them. They were involved in the restoration of the three films that were then shown on TCM, so the statement that they have presented them is accurate. However at the time of the screenings they had not come to an agreement with the Hughes estate for a DVD release and there has been no subsequent announcement of a release. Two Arabian Nights has been out in a bootlegged version; perhaps that's what you saw.

Danny Burk

#78 Post by Danny Burk » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:22 pm

I spoke with Jeff personally after the TCM screenings, and he didn't know when (or if) they may be on DVD. The other incident that I mentioned above re: approval needed from 4 persons was much more recent; not directly from Jeff, but from a mutual friend with whom I was discussing Flicker Alley releases.

HerrSchreck

#79 Post by HerrSchreck » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:16 am

This is just like the time when I held in my hands Kino's JOYLESS STREET dvd in Kims NYC, but decided to hold off (the release had been formally announced as forthcoming to street around the time of DIARY OF A LOST GIRL, GOLEM, etc, which is exactly when the disc appeared), only to learn later after wondering why I wasn't having another opportunity to buy it that the release had been cancelled for undisclosed (obviously rights-driven) reasons. I never saw it again after that on the shelves... but I had it in my hand, it was titled with a green font against a black background.

My suspicion is that these discs have been manufactured and are warehoused, collecting dust. A couple of early copies may have hit Kim's shelves (they are notorious sellers upon wholesale receipt, always ignoring agreed upon release dates) before a cease & desist order came down. Either that or I'm mixing it up w GARDEN OF EDEN but that would make little sense becase I recall going thru them....

Scharphedin2

#80 Post by Scharphedin2 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:33 am

Since I have looked many times for the Hughes titles on the internet, I wrote Flicker Alley, and Jeffery Masino very kindly replied. I hope I do not comprise his confidence by posting his reply:
Thank you very much for your inquiry. You are correct - DVD editions of the Howard Hughes Produced films have not been made available on home video. The University of Nevada, Las Vegas is actively trying to move forward with an arrangement that may eventually lead to home video editions, but nothing at this time or in the foreseeable future. Any digital editions becoming available on these films will be promoted on the Flicker Alley website and elsewhere. I continue to get regular inquiries about copies for purchase and there is a wealth of fascinating and historically significant material connected with these films in the University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV) Howard Hughes Collection.
This of course does not rule out the possibility of what Schreck describes above.

denti alligator

#81 Post by denti alligator » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:32 am

Street date for their 175-plus film Melies set is February 24. I smell release of the year.

denti alligator

#82 Post by denti alligator » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:28 am

Méliès set moved back to March 11, but now available for pre-order. 5 discs!! Includes the Franju docu.

Cinetwist

#83 Post by Cinetwist » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:21 am

I want to weep.....

But instead I'll just give Jeff Massino my $71.96 and continue to buy everything he releases. This is now probably my favourite dvd label. I never thought I'd see a Melies collection, with so much effort put into it.

Zazou dans le Metro

#84 Post by Zazou dans le Metro » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:06 am

Cinetwist wrote:I want to weep.....

But instead I'll just give Jeff Massino my $71.96 and continue to buy everything he releases. This is now probably my favourite dvd label. I never thought I'd see a Melies collection, with so much effort put into it.
Well we almost got a sniff back a while here.. wonder what happened? Jeff's getting my sponduliks too.

La Collection George Méliès.

denti alligator

#85 Post by denti alligator » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:50 am

Is the pre-order discount substantial? I mean, I'd like the money to go straight to him, but I'd also like to save a little on what is an expensive set.

HerrSchreck

#86 Post by HerrSchreck » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:28 pm

Massino is the man. Occasional port like Retour la flamme, but kerrANG comes this Melies. Monstrous. A set like this could start me dropping acid furchrissakes. Also makes me glad I stayed away from halfass releases like Melies The Magician etc etc.

The dude was a total freak. A Trip To The Moon all on it;s own (which barely scratches the surface) is so blazingly fucked in the head... I mean the dudes special effects pale in comparison to his ideas, and his special effects were amazing. One of the biggest nut heads in the cinema.

Looks like Kino's EDISON set is getting a major run for its money in terms of Kickass Early Cinema Box.

Flicker Alley is truly the Criterion of Silents.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#87 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:35 pm

Holy cat, over 170 films?! I guess I didn't even realize he made that many, this set looks like quite a treasure trove-- and not even that expensive really!

Adam

#88 Post by Adam » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:39 pm

domino harvey wrote:Holy cat, over 170 films?! I guess I didn't even realize he made that many, this set looks like quite a treasure trove-- and not even that expensive really!
That's not even all that he made; a healthy chunk are lost. He and Brakhage are probably the most prolific filmmakers ever. Brakhage made over 400.

What A Disgrace

#89 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:27 pm

Adam wrote:
domino harvey wrote:Holy cat, over 170 films?! I guess I didn't even realize he made that many, this set looks like quite a treasure trove-- and not even that expensive really!
That's not even all that he made; a healthy chunk are lost. He and Brakhage are probably the most prolific filmmakers ever. Brakhage made over 400.
I think Allan Dwan claimed to have made about 1,000 films in his career.

zedz

#90 Post by zedz » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:35 pm

Feuillade laid claim to 600 - 700, I think. What's remarkable about Melies is that 170 (at least) have survived. Long live Flicker Alley!

Cabiria21

#91 Post by Cabiria21 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:55 pm

Here's to hoping that my favorite Melies, the whopping 16 minute "The Merry Frolics of Satan" will be on this collection!

Cold Bishop

#92 Post by Cold Bishop » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:32 pm

Cabiria21 wrote:Here's to hoping that my favorite Melies, the whopping 16 minute "The Merry Frolics of Satan" will be on this collection!
No need to worry, it is.

Ledos

#93 Post by Ledos » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:10 pm

domino harvey wrote:Holy cat, over 170 films?! I guess I didn't even realize he made that many
Méliès made around 600 movies of which exactly 200 exist today (unless any more has been found since the 200th film was shown at Pordenone in 1999).

HerrSchreck

#94 Post by HerrSchreck » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:05 pm

GEORGES MÉLIÈS built the world's first movie studio in 1896 near Paris; from it cascaded fantastic magic films, dream films, historical reconstructions, imaginary journeys, melodramas, slapstick comedies -- even erotic films. Examples of all are here, with many still retaining power to astonish and charm. This monumental thirteen hour collection on five DVDs gathers for the first time nearly all the surviving films of Georges Méliès from his first, Card Party (1896) to his last, The Voyage of the Bouririchon Family (1913), bracketing more than 170 others.

A genuine virtuoso, Méliès produced and directed his films while also devising the narratives; designing the sets, costumes and props; and frequently performing the leading parts. Arranged in chronological order, this comprehensive collection makes widely available for the first time both the breadth and the depth of his work, disclosing a highly imaginative artist's discovery of the possibilities of cinema.

Georges Méliès was also as a master of invention and enchantment. Included are the celebrated and famous journey films, among them A Trip to the Moon, The Impossible Voyage, The Kingdom of Fairies, The Merry Frolics of Satan, The Palace of the Arabian Nights, and The Conquest of the Pole. Fifteen films are reproduced from partial or complete hand-colored original prints, thirteen are presented with the original English narrations written by Méliès. A lovely half-hour introductory film, Le Grand Méliès (Georges Franju, 1953), features Méliès' widow (who performed in many Méliès films) and André Méliès portraying his father. The enclosed booklet includes a foreword by Norman McLaren, a superb essay by John Frazer, and an annotated index to the films by genre.

This unprecedented set produced by Eric Lange and David Shepard, has been assembled from archival and private holdings in eight countries. The quality of these film elements is variable, of course. Many look stunning; a few are fragmentary, others are longer than earlier-known versions. Beautiful new music has been prepared by ten leading practitioners of silent film accompaniment. Georges Méliès can now be seen not only as a great pioneer but also as the most accomplished filmmaker in the world during the first years of cinema.

782 min. / B&W / Tinted / Silent / Sound / 1:33:1 aspect ratio
Packaging & Menu Design: Brian Peterson, ROAM Creative
Digital Encoding: Elektrofilm Digital Studios •
DVD Authoring: Alpha Dogs, Inc
You know it pops! Gonna be a huge run on the drug market servicing cineaste circles starting march. Ho ho ho!

Zazou dans le Metro

#95 Post by Zazou dans le Metro » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:09 pm

Beautiful new music has been prepared by ten leading practitioners of silent film accompaniment.
Anyone know more about this aspect? Could it be the Sosin Family??

HerrSchreck

#96 Post by HerrSchreck » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:33 pm

It'll probably be the usual mishmash of Regulars seen on projects like this (The Movies Begin, Edison, various individual silents)... Sosin, Israel, Carli, Joe Turrin, Jon Mirsalis, and maybe even old uncle hulot himself. Folks like that.

Zazou dans le Metro

#97 Post by Zazou dans le Metro » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:56 am

HerrSchreck wrote:It'll probably be the usual mishmash of Regulars seen on projects like this (The Movies Begin, Edison, various individual silents)... Sosin, Israel, Carli, Joe Turrin, Jon Mirsalis, and maybe even old uncle hulot himself. Folks like that.
Mmmm. I thought/feared as much. It's not a deal breaker but I'd like to have seen some of the NY Downtown/Knitting Factory skronkers and honkers involved this time round, or the Seattle mob Horwitz/Frisell etc. who have scored silents in the past including Ozu and Keaton of course.

Given the French connection why not even commission someone like Pascal Comelade?? Given that this sort of commission is becoming a bigger and bigger draw on the live music/film scene it's a pity it isn't being followed through so much in the dvd issue stakes. I am waiting for the KTL version of Phantom Carriage however to redress this situation and hope it inspires other companies to follow suit.

HerrSchreck

#98 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:33 pm

My reason for supposing the above is because of the inclusion of Shepard. And of course Massino worked w Israel on Judex & Phantom.

What A Disgrace

#99 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:13 pm

If work goes well next month, I just may say "Screw saving money" and buy the Melies set for the $71.

Otherwise, retail price is $89.99, according to TCM.com.

unclehulot

#100 Post by unclehulot » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:37 am

HerrSchreck wrote:It'll probably be the usual mishmash of Regulars seen on projects like this (The Movies Begin, Edison, various individual silents)... Sosin, Israel, Carli, Joe Turrin, Jon Mirsalis, and maybe even old uncle hulot himself. Folks like that.
Hey, I'm not THAT old.....:roll:

Just a smattering, oh, 12 or 13 of the shorter films.

No offence Zazou dans le Metro, but when I see the phrase "I thought/feared as much" and Philip Carli's name in connection with such a statement, I scratch my head. Perhaps it's based slightly less on his recorded scores, but more on my having seen him play live for films he's never seen in his life, and turn it into an exciting, involving experience, and to top it off, create a musically organized whole, I tip my hat to the man. "skronkers and honkers"? Well, sometimes even 4 choices of musical scores (Pandora's Box) isn't enough to please everyone!

I have no idea whether he or the other "regulars" were hired for the project, so I'm awaiting the list (and the set) as you are. BTW, I don't think Jon Mirsalis has been involved in any Shepard project, but certainly he is heard on various Kino projects.