Flicker Alley

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Jonathan S

Re: Flicker Alley

#301 Post by Jonathan S » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:53 am

More details on the above from David Shepard's latest posts (Feb 6 & 7) on Nitrateville. It appears the (possible) Blu-ray is the 1927 version of CHICAGO:
David Shepard wrote:CHICAGO will be released (most probably) early summer. Mont Alto is doing the score -- I have heard a recording from a live performance, and it's superb. There will be two outstanding bonus films with it -- you can learn about them later on.

Through the courtesy of the DeMille Estate, we were able to master in HD directly from the (perfect) nitrate but we did not leave UCLA selling apples on the corner.

However, it is still quite up in the air whether or not we will follow through with a B-R release.
Image asked about re-doing some of the obvius warhorses in B-R but I gave them a breakdown of costs and didn't hear any more after that.
Also - discussing the costs of producing a B-R edition:
David Shepard wrote:...we're probably talking total sales combining DVD and B-R of no more than about 2000 units.
The additional cost to produce in B-R compared to DVD at this time is about $20,000. At a $40 retail, we would have to be prepared to sell most of our units at not much more than $20 wholesale. Obviously it would then take at least half of the sales income to make up the additional cost of the B-R, leaving little to divide among costs of production: the films weren't free by any means, even musicians have to eat, the expenses of HD telecine and digital cleanup, the standard DVD edition, and perhaps at the end some peanut butter and saltines for ourselves.

We might put on blindfolds and go ahead just to try it, but a few 'experiments'; like this and it's likely to be the end of us!

Cash Flagg

#302 Post by Cash Flagg » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:52 pm

Extras on The Italian Straw Hat, from Classic Flix:
* A Choice of Two New Accompaniments:
o Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
o Pianist Philip Carli
* Rene Clair's 1928 Short, La Tour (The Eiffel Tower)
* Ferdinand Zecca’s 1907 Short Noce en Goguette (Fun After The Wedding)
* Complete 1851 Play Un Chapeau de paille d’ Italie by Eugene Labiche and Marc Michel. English translation of 1916 as The Leghorn Hat (DVD-ROM)
* PLUS: Booklet with Essay by Lenny Borger and Iris Barry

whaleallright

#303 Post by whaleallright » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:46 pm

* Rene Clair's 1928 Short, La Tour (The Eiffel Tower)
This is actually rather astonishing, as I recall.

What A Disgrace

#304 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:14 pm

Their upcoming release of Clouzot's Inferno will be their first Blu-ray.

triodelover

#305 Post by triodelover » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:57 am

Received Un chapeau de paille d'Italie yesterday. Another nice package from Flicker Alley. Includes a booklet with an essay on Clair's career, a 1940 essay by Iris Barry on the main feature, and notes on the Mont Alto Orchestra score. Extras on the disc are Le Tour (~12m), Clair's 1928 short on the world's largest erector set, and a 1907 short by Ferdinand Zecca, Noce en Goguette (~8 m). There's a 1916 English translation of the 1851 play on which the film is based as a DVD-ROM extra.

The film is presented at 19fps and I though it looked superb overall. Contrast and detail are exceptional for an 82-year-old film. I did notice one incident of combing in freeze frame with VLC's deinterlacing filterss disabled, and that occurred in an early scene where Bobin was helping Nonancourt into his shoes. It was unobtrusive in motion. I switched the Yadif 2x deinterlacing filter and didn't see any other examples. I watched the film accompanied by the Mont Alto Orchestra score, which seemed appropriate and never intrusive. There is a piano score by Philip Carli which I have not as yet heard. Intertitles are in English, as is all text.

The film itself is both a satire on bourgeois behaviors and a farce. It has been moved from the 1850s in the play to la belle époque. One of the funniest silent comedies I think I've seen precisely because it is a exquisitely executed comedy of manners that relies very little on physical comedy. It walks a fine line between absurd and just silly, but always stays on the right side of the lion. Albert Préjean is spot-on as the hapless bridegroom.
SpoilerShow
The scene in which he describes his predicament to Beauperthuis only to have it slowly dawn on him that he's given the game away is priceless, not only for the inherent humor but as an example of Norma Desmond's "We had faces then" aesthete.
The main theme is accompanied by several character set-pieces, the longest running of which is the bride's uncle's film-long battle with his ear trumpet. It's a fairly straight line of progression forward from this film to Sous les toits de Paris (also with Préjean), Le million, and À nous la liberté. My only real criticism is that at 1h45m it's a tad long.

There was one oddity, at least to me, and perhaps someone will have some insight. When the wedding party attends the reception, the woman who plays the piano is handed the sheet music and it's the English/Scottish country dance Sir Roger de Coverley. My knowledge of the piece is limited to Frank Bridge's 1922 composition for string orchestra and a Dorothy Sayers' short story. It seemed odd that a French wedding party in 1895 (or 1928) would choose this music. Was there a time when the dance was popular on the continent?

Both of the shorts were in good shape considering. The tour of the Eiffel Tower was fascinating and the Zecca short was what I would term routine Nickolodeon fare - entertaining but hardly exceptional. The recurring thought I had while watching it was that my grandmother was a 15-year-old girl when it was made. Make of that what you will. :)

RodneySauer

#306 Post by RodneySauer » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:53 pm

Thanks for the kind words on the musical score. We enjoyed recording it.

"Sir Roger de Coverly" is (as the sheet music you see in the film indicates) a version of the "Lancers Quadrille," a dance popular in the US and Europe starting in the late 1600s; and you can google either term for more information. The Lancers was danced in squares, just like the familiar American square dance, and with some similar moves. There were five "movements" in the traditional Lancers, as shown in the film, and there was specific music for each movement. Perhaps most to the point, it's a dance that people in 1927 would remember as old-fashioned and quaint compared to the foxtrot, tango, and Charleston.

It was pretty common to take the music from an operetta and publish it in a "Lancers" format -- that is, arranging the various songs into five appropriate movements, much as you would publish all of the waltzes from, say, "The Merry Widow" as "The Merry Widow Waltzes." I have three orchestrated "Lancers" sets in my orchestra collection, but none are the traditional "Sir Roger de Coverly" music. I tried them out, and selected "The Telephone Girl Lancers" partly because I loved the name.

Cash Flagg

#307 Post by Cash Flagg » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:25 pm

RodneySauer

#308 Post by RodneySauer » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:17 pm

Rufus T. Firefly

#309 Post by Rufus T. Firefly » Wed May 19, 2010 4:34 am

Jonathan S

#310 Post by Jonathan S » Wed May 19, 2010 5:10 am

I assume from the press release they decided not to go ahead with the Blu-ray of Chicago they were considering - though personally I'm more than happy to have it on DVD.

HerrSchreck

#311 Post by HerrSchreck » Wed May 19, 2010 8:52 am

RodneySauer wrote:Thanks for the kind words on the musical score. We enjoyed recording it.
I for one can say without hesitation Rodney that almost without fail every Mont Alto score is a pearl amid what is generally-- for me anyhow--a heap of industrial mediocrity or outright klunkiness. Some of the stuff that passes for 'silent film score' over the past fifteen years or so, (since the birth of the home vid market for silent films), takes me aback. I would have loved to hear you guys contribute to the forthcoming von Sternberg set.

Your compilation for Lang's DESTINY, for example, was one of the few discs I would throw on here and there while going about my business at home just to listen to the music. That's really really rare.

Keep up the great work.

RodneySauer

#312 Post by RodneySauer » Wed May 19, 2010 9:16 am

Well, thank you very much! If you liked the score for Destiny, you may also like the Faust we did last year for Kino -- a score that's received little notice, but which contains some great toothy photoplay music cues. There are three excerpts at http://www.mont-alto.com/recordings.html#Faust" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, or send me a self-addressed stamped padded envelope and I'll send you a CDR of the score. And though it's a little off-topic in this thread, a new score of ours will premiere on TCM in the wee hours of May 26 (or is it May 25? those TCM schedules can be confusing). This is a new, and very nice, restoration of Tourneur's The Last of the Mohicans, done by David Shepard, and unlikely to be on DVD any time soon. The original art titles have been used for the first time to my knowledge, and we've recorded another compilation score of photoplay music for it.

And to bring it back ON topic again, we also compiled and recorded a score for the upcoming Flicker Alley Chicago, for which I used the original cue sheet for guidance. We added ukulele and drums for certain cues, due to the nature of the film. I wrote a little essay on it for the booklet, as I did for Italian Straw Hat, in which I point out some curious differences between the cue sheet and the continuity of the film as it survives. I'll get some Chicago audio excerpts up on our web site in the next few days (as soon as I can get the cover artwork for the web site...)

RodneySauer

#313 Post by RodneySauer » Thu May 20, 2010 3:47 pm

There are several audio excerpts from Mont Alto's score for the Flicker Alley release of Chicago at:

http://www.mont-alto.com/recordings.html#Chicago" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

perkizitore

#314 Post by perkizitore » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:32 am

Is the Inferno blu-ray still coming out?
Also, i noticed that the new French DVD of Aelita was licenced from Lobster films, is there a restored R1 release forthcoming?

Jonathan S

#315 Post by Jonathan S » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:18 am

Part of a Nitrateville post:
David Shepard wrote:Right now we are working hard trying to get CHAPLIN AT KEYSTONE ready for an October street date. You will be amazed how good most of the films look --- full aperture 35mm was available on all but four of the films.
Somewhere after that is a box set of 7 more important Soviet silents including OLD AND NEW and STRIDE SOVIET, respectively the only Eisenstein and major Vertov never in quality video editions.
I hope I can persuade Flicker Alley to release the three American Indian-themed films we prepared for TCM, but that's unsettled. As I am sure you all know, the DVD business is anemic at the moment and if I were a betting man I wouldn't be writing life insurance on it.

peerpee
not perpee

#316 Post by peerpee » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:33 am

David Shepard wrote:As I am sure you all know, the DVD business is anemic at the moment and if I were a betting man I wouldn't be writing life insurance on it.
Blu-ray is the best way out of the mess for boutique labels (at least for the next 5 years). It's quite something to be able to present 35mm in relatively uncompressed 1080p (HD downloads/streams are far too compressed, and will be choked for years).

What A Disgrace

#317 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:22 pm

That Soviet silent box (seven films? WOW!) sounds absolutely delicious; DVD of the year material if ever there was...and we only know of two of the films.

denti alligator

#318 Post by denti alligator » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:42 pm

The Old and New (aka The General Line) is available in an excellent DVD edition from arte. (No English subs, though.)

yoshimori

#319 Post by yoshimori » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:58 pm

denti alligator wrote:The Old and New (aka The General Line) is available in an excellent DVD edition from arte. (No English subs, though.)
Don't have the arte to compare, but the Films sans Frontières' La ligne générale [Old and New] looks pretty good to me and does have english (and french) subs.

htdm

#320 Post by htdm » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:44 pm

I agreed - I have the FsF box and General Line looks more than acceptable.
Beaver

What A Disgrace

#321 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:35 pm

I guess they better just cancel the whole thing.

justeleblanc

#322 Post by justeleblanc » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:58 pm

Whoa! Is no one else excited about a complete Chaplin at Keystone box?

Cash Flagg

#323 Post by Cash Flagg » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:52 pm

RodneySauer

#324 Post by RodneySauer » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:34 pm

DVD Talk review of Chicago:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/44201/ch ... -restored/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jonathan S

#325 Post by Jonathan S » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:28 am

peerpee wrote:
David Shepard wrote:As I am sure you all know, the DVD business is anemic at the moment and if I were a betting man I wouldn't be writing life insurance on it.
Blu-ray is the best way out of the mess for boutique labels (at least for the next 5 years). It's quite something to be able to present 35mm in relatively uncompressed 1080p (HD downloads/streams are far too compressed, and will be choked for years).
DS was at one time considering a Blu-ray for Chicago. I don't know if his apparent decision not to was due to a technical reason - his wariness suggested financial (see the earlier post I quoted; "a few 'experiments' like this and it's likely to be the end of us!" etc.) - but it was transferred at 25 fps in NTSC "and shows interlacing" according to Beaver (it would have been ideal for PAL!) I think virtually all of Flicker Alley's silent releases have been slower or faster than 24fps - Un chapeau de paille d'Italie was 19fps - and maybe they don't feel they've solved the frame rate issue for Blu-ray yet? Is MoC still working on it?