Flicker Alley

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Gigi M.

#51 Post by Gigi M. » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:06 pm

denti alligator wrote:
Gigi M. wrote:Need some advice please. I've wanted to buy Phantom for quite a while now, but the rumors of an upcoming MoC have kept me from doing so. Is this edition worth it? Is it as good as everyone says? Thanks in advance.
Not if you care about original intertitles. Why not wait for the MoC (coming soon enough, probably early '08)? You'll be sure to get great extras and a nice book.
Thanks, Denti. I guess I'll wait.

Matt

#52 Post by Matt » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:46 am

The first Flicker Alley / Film Preservation Associates release (as well as some future ones) has been announced:

[quote]Flicker Alley, LLC, a specialty supplier of classic cinema programming, has entered into an exclusive distribution agreement with Film Preservation Associates, Inc. for the production and release of several home video titles from the Blackhawk Films Collection in 2007 and 2008.

Flicker Alley and Blackhawk Films' inaugural title, “DISCOVERING CINEMA,â€

Gigi M.

#53 Post by Gigi M. » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:43 pm

The Valentino Collection is up for pre-order at Amazon.
Product Details

* Actors: Rudolph Valentino, Dorothy Dalton, Walter Long, George Kuwa, Wanda Hawley
* Directors: George Melford, Phil Rosen, James Vincent, Paul Powell
* Format: NTSC
* Region: All Regions
* Number of discs: 2
* Rating G
* Studio: Flicker Alley
* DVD Release Date: September 11, 2007
* Run Time: 226 minutes

Product Description

As one of the most iconic personalities of the silent film era, Rudolph Valentino achieved an unprecedented level of fame, due in part to his exotic good looks and a magnetic personality that leapt from the screen. His undeniable cultural resonance, coupled with his untimely death in August of 1926, has made him a recognizable and still-relevant figure throughout the world. Flicker Alley s 2-Disc THE VALENTINO COLLECTION is the definitive DVD compilation featuring digital reconstructions and home video premieres of four previously unavailable Valentino films a new digital reconstruction of two lost films: The Young Rajah (1922) and Stolen Moments (1920), featuring new musical scores by Jon Mirsalis, A Society Sensation (1918), featuring Bob Mitchell at the pipe organ, and Moran of the Lady Letty (1922), featuring a restoration of the film s original intertitle text and tinting and a new score by Robert Israel. The collection boasts an extensive assortment of bonus short films (with new musical scores), rare audio recordings, previously unpublished photos, promotional materials, production photos and other rare items detailing several aspects of Valentino s remarkable life and legacy, sure to fascinate film fans and scholars alike. DVD FEATURES: *All new, speed-corrected film transfers and new digitally recorded music for all featured films and silent shorts Five Vintage Bonus Films: Rare silent shorts featuring new music scores by Bob Mitchell at the pipe organ, including A Trip to Paramountown, Screen Snapshots, and Character Studies. In addition, two more sound films: Round About Hollywood, an early Cinecolor travelogue, and Rudolph Valentino, an early memorial tribute film Additional Rare Footage: Unique Valentino (and Valentino-related) film clips, including a newly-uncovered, original 35 mm tinted nitrate fragment from Stolen Moments Valentino In Memoriam: An exceptional collection of rare images and vintage audio recordings, including an exclusive audio interview with the original Lady in Black, Ditra Flame Valentino Forever: A new short film by author and historian Tracy Ryan Terhune documenting the Valentino memorial services and the history of the Lady in Black Valentino Landmarks: Explore significant locations of Valentino s life in Hollywood, featuring an interactive video tour of his Falcon Lair estate, slide shows of his Whitley Heights residence and personal belongings, and historic descriptions of the Formosa Apartments and Lasky Studios. A Friend Remembered: A fascinating collection of over 75 captioned behind the scenes and candid images (many never-before-published) photographed by Valentino s close friend, Paul Ivano Who's Who In Hollywood: Over 80 pages of biographical information and unique photographs of the major performers and technicians involved with the four featured VALENTINO COLLECTION films, as well as key persons in Valentino s life Virtual Scrapbooks: Over 175 historical documents from the four featured VALENTINO COLLECTION films including lobby cards, poster art, advertisements, production stills, and other surviving promotional materials Two Remarkable Slide Show Presentations: Valentino The Athlete and Valentino and His Beloved Pets feature two different sides of the Valentino persona New Booklet Essay: DVD introduction by Emily W. Leider, author of Dark Lover - The Life and Death of Rudolph Valentino.

Ashirg

#54 Post by Ashirg » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:40 am

HerrSchreck

#55 Post by HerrSchreck » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:45 pm

I've (actually my girlfriend) acquired the VALENTINO collection and can say two things: if you're a Valentino fan, this thing will be a dream come true. It has so many extras, from funeral photos, recordings, etc & footage from inside his Ca. house Falcons Lair (from the days he lived in it, from mid-century, or at present... you can select three different guided tours), in depth digital Who's WHo in his life, and the four films, a couple of which were previously lost. So far I've watched MORAN OF THE LADY LETTY which is actually a pretty cool and well put together melodrama with a really unusual story, shot almost entirely on location in the actual story venues, and-- where the bulk of the story takes place-- out on the sea on a pirated merchant vessel. The downside is the condition of the elements... MAJOR switch from the sublimely pristine state of the PHANTOM negative and beautiful NTSC transfer... these are all in more or less battered 16mm. I don't think a single film is from 35mm elements. But the rarity, and the serviceability of the melodrama & direction (at least what Ive seen, and I'm no major Valentino fan, though I did like BEYOND THE ROCKS) make it worthwhile. If you're a fan of his, you'll be in heaven with those extras.

Petty Bourgeoisie

#56 Post by Petty Bourgeoisie » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:49 am

Question for any willing to answer. If I am introducing myself to the Louis Feuillade universe, is Judex a reasonable starting point? Or would that be akin to introducing oneself to Orson Wells by watching The Transformers? Les Vampires I hear is soon to reemerge via Artificial Eye, but if Judex is enjoyable and representative of the Feuillade vision, I'll pick it up. What do you think?

denti alligator

#57 Post by denti alligator » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:11 am

It is enjoyable (very!) and, in a way, representative. Stylistically, it's very much in the vein of the earlier serials. It differs only in that the main "villain" is not a villain at all, but actually a good guy (a la Batman, Robin Hood, etc.).

I wouldn't hesitate buying the Flicker Alley edition, as the Gaumont version has yet to appear,and it takes AE at least a year after that for their port to come out.

Petty Bourgeoisie

#58 Post by Petty Bourgeoisie » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:22 am

Thanks. It's payday and I've allocated funds for one DVD. This will be the one! :)

On another note (which I'll post on the Les Vampires thread), it appears that the Image DVD is back in print suddenly. Amazon says they have it in stock at $62.99.

HerrSchreck

#59 Post by HerrSchreck » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:04 pm

(edit... glitch)

Meant to say that that pricetag sounds a bit steep, though I could be misremembering.. I think I paid 50 bux for VAMPS back years ago when it came out.. in a store.

But, aside from starting with FANTOMAS (which really is sublime.. the amount of gorgeous Parisian location shooting, it makes me fucking swoon each time) from AEYE--.. gorgeous subbed port of the sublime GAUM,-- and going in order from there.. you really could choose any of these. They are all wonderful and great tributes to the miracle of the dvd age that these serials have come out complete, restored, and with great care and production attention. Despite the hemming and hawing there's really very little difference between the two VAMPS, there's the tiniest of tiny crops in the Shepard-- with English title cards instead of French, but imagewise I saw no dif whatsoever to mention. And the French discs-- correct me if I'm wrong-- do not appear to have been tinted. The Shepard has a couple of amusing extra Feulliade shorts, as well, and a great booklet.

Of course as Mr Dante was saying, JUDEX is the name of its hero, who is almost like a Batman type superhero, though there absolutely is an arch villain in there (think in terms of if he name his earlier serial JUVE after the hero detective, instead of FANTOMAs). Even the horny Musidora strips down to a bathing suit for some trap door escape action.. though I prefer the see thru spandex black body suit in VAMPS.. the woman had excellent knockers god dammit.

You cant go wrong with any of these releases. Definitely pick up the Flicker Alley JUDEX to support this company, which always pulls its own transfers of "officially held" elements of European silents, even on this massive scale. US companies calling for elements for native telecine for French & German silents is very rare so these guys (really== GUY.. J Massino, who is a good dude and approachable) deserve your dollars. His PHANTOM is one of the finest DVDs out there.

As for Feulliade, observe how, from serial to serial, this man had the eerie ability to soak even the most mundane images with a strangeness and a quasi haunted atmosphere. He had the Halloween touch

denti alligator

#60 Post by denti alligator » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:40 pm

The Schreckster outdid me in words (again). I didn't mean Judex had no villain, only that the main character wasn't one, unlike in Vampires and Fantomas where I would argue the real "main" characters are the villains.

I love these films so much! Why Gaumont is taking their merry time on Barrabas and Tih Minh (the sequel to Les Vampires) is beyond me, especially considering they've already been restored.

Petty Bourgeoisie

#61 Post by Petty Bourgeoisie » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:53 pm

HerrSchreck wrote:Meant to say that that pricetag sounds a bit steep, though I could be misremembering.. I think I paid 50 bux for VAMPS back years ago when it came out.. in a store.
Well, I spent my budget on a new copy of Images Les Vampires from an Amazon Marketplace vendor for $39 (won't name the vendor as I don't wanna seem like a shill :) ). Judex will be bumped back a payday. Could you please tell about the DVD status (or maybe non-status) of Fantomas for an English language bound viewer? Can't wait to view some Feuilliade and see if it resonates with me. As a dedicated fan of Fritz Langs Mabuse series, it sounds promising.

HerrSchreck

#62 Post by HerrSchreck » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:50 am

Petty Bourgeoisie wrote:Could you please tell about the DVD status (or maybe non-status) of Fantomas for an english language bound viewer? Can't wait to view some Feuilliade and see if it resonates with me. As a dedicated fan of Fritz Langs Mabuse series, it sounds promising.
Heyy, yo!! Read whyncha? We mentioned the Artificial Eye FANTOMAS, the "gorgeous subbed port of the sublime Gaumont."

Go now, buy, and multiply.

Petty Bourgeoisie

#63 Post by Petty Bourgeoisie » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:42 am

Ahh, AE has released Fantomas! Why don't you people tell me these things?!?!

Just kidding. It's on my radar now. :)

denti alligator

#64 Post by denti alligator » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:27 pm

Forthcoming from Flicker Alley:

[quote]Following that will be “George Melies: First Wizard of Cinema (1896-1913),â€

ptmd

#65 Post by ptmd » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:27 pm

Oh my, that's absolutely tremendous news. I hope we don't have to wait too long for those Gance discs!

What A Disgrace

#66 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:04 pm

This news has me aroused. I am not lying or exaggerating.

Ashirg

#67 Post by Ashirg » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:45 am

Are they still planning to release Howard Hughes silents?

Rufus T. Firefly

#68 Post by Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:25 am

ptmd wrote:I hope we don't have to wait too long for those Gance discs!
I heard around the time that David Shepard was injured in a car accident (January this year) that he was working on La Roue, so hopefully it won't be too much longer.

HerrSchreck

#69 Post by HerrSchreck » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:49 pm

Ashirg wrote:Are they still planning to release Howard Hughes silents?
Havent those Hughes silents been out for a good two years now?

Yeah I knew about those Gance's but had to keep mum. Fucking tremdous news. This guy Massino is a fucking prince.

videozor

#70 Post by videozor » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:30 pm

denti alligator wrote:Forthcoming from Flicker Alley:
Following that will be “George Melies...several years in the making

Was not this done couple of years ago by MK2 In France?
Great news , anyway!

Gregory

#71 Post by Gregory » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:59 pm

HerrSchreck wrote:Havent those Hughes silents been out for a good two years now?
You mean from Flicker Alley? They're not for sale on the FA site or anywhere else I can find.

Scharphedin2

#72 Post by Scharphedin2 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:28 pm

Gregory wrote:
HerrSchreck wrote:Havent those Hughes silents been out for a good two years now?
You mean from Flicker Alley? They're not for sale on the FA site or anywhere else I can find.
I have looked for those two DVDs many times at different sites (directed by Lewis Milestone), but never found them.

Somehow I was under the impression that they were always works-in-progress, although I can't remember if I actually read it somewhere.

HerrSchreck

#73 Post by HerrSchreck » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:33 pm

Hmmm, you guys seem to be right as it stands now, but I could have sworn I saw these for sale back prior to PHANTOM & JUDEX (or around the time of JUDEX). I thought they came out around the same time as GRDEN OF EDEN.

Obviously something is wrong. Rights w WB maybe? But since most of this flows out of TCM anyhow I cant imagine this all being par for the FA course anyhow.

Strange, but I stand corrected. Cheers to both gregs.

Danny Burk

#74 Post by Danny Burk » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:50 pm

I've checked into the HH silents, which definitely aren't out on DVD. I was told that they needed approval of 4 parties to go ahead, and one (a relative, IIRC) was being a shrew and denying approval.

Hmm....where's that bottle of elderberry wine that I keep on hand for "special occasions"? :twisted:

Rufus T. Firefly

#75 Post by Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:32 pm

davidhare wrote:has there been anything since this news? (I didn't know that BTW.)
About Shepard? He's ok apparently, just had a slow recovery from his injuries. But I'm sure you meant the Gances. Jeff Masino posted this on the Golden Silents board back in August:
The company, in association with Turner Entertainment Networks is currently preparing new digital editions of two rarely seen films by French master Abel Gance—J'Accuse (1919) and La Roue (1923), both making their Turner Classic Movies broadcast debut in Spring 2008.
I would guess the DVDs would come out soon after that, so maybe in the second half of next year. Back in April (not January as I misremembered) Shepard had a rant about Passport Video and their ripping off of his de Milles and included this:
The unanswered question is whether Passport will pick off some of our major projects now in preparation, such as a huge Melies collection, and Abel Gance's LA ROUE, which would effectively put us out of the DVD business; or whether he'll move on to someone else's sincere and careful efforts. Stay tuned.
I've not heard anything since until this latest statement from Masino.