Anti-Worlds

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Adam X

Anti-Worlds

#1 Post by Adam X » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:20 pm

Not precisely Indicator, I know, but Powerhouse Films have announced they're starting (or are involved with) a new label in 2020, that'll be involving itself in film production along with home video releases. The mention of a new Peter Strickland film kinda stands out!

The Fanciful Norwegian

Re: Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

#2 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:32 pm

Presumably this is the "kids' film" Strickland mentioned in a recent Telegraph profile, loosely adapted from the Brothers Grimm's The Magic Porridge Pot—though I have a lot of trouble imagining what a "kids' film" would look like coming from Strickland! Of the pickups in the initial lineup, Chained for Life is a great film that seems to have been unconscionably ignored by U.S. distributors, so I'm glad it'll finally be getting a release somewhere.

PfR73

#3 Post by PfR73 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:18 pm

Yeah, Chained For Life was one of the best films I saw at Fantastic Fest last year, and I'd love to see it come out on Blu-Ray.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#4 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:52 pm

According to the initial announcement (nearly two months ago—d'oh!), Penny Slinger and Chained for Life will both get BD releases through Powerhouse. No specifics on Holiday and Infinite Football, but I hope they'll get the same treatment, particularly since the U.S. distributors didn't see fit to do a Blu-ray release for either (Infinite Football didn't get a physical release at all).

rapta

#5 Post by rapta » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:05 pm

Oh wow, I didn't notice the new Strickland would be part of ANTI-WORLDS until the above post. That's excellent news - I notice Curzon Artificial Eye decided to release In Fabric on Blu-ray after initially only listing a DVD, but good to see he's moving over to another distributor to presumably do something more interesting.

Also fairly curious to see the new Ben Rivers film when that's finished, and I imagine will follow with a Blu-ray release.

Aunt Peg

#6 Post by Aunt Peg » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:30 am

Day one for Chained for Life for me.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#7 Post by tenia » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:50 pm

"COMING SOON"

Glowingwabbit

#8 Post by Glowingwabbit » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:05 pm

I didnt notice it at first but it says Anti-Worlds at the bottom. I thought they'd do something a little different to distinguish them (like Arrow Video and Academy does) from the mainline. Interesting.

therewillbeblus

#9 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:07 pm

Here come the Anti-Worlds!

As excited as I am for this branch-out, and happy for the company, I hope this doesn’t limit the output from Indicator, especially considering how at least these three releases are already out on physical media overseas.

Ribs

#10 Post by Ribs » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:14 pm

I actually like moving the rainbow to the bottom, seems like a pretty simple way to keep the brands distinct but of a piece.

Glowingwabbit

#11 Post by Glowingwabbit » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:22 pm

Ribs wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:14 pm
I actually like moving the rainbow to the bottom, seems like a pretty simple way to keep the brands distinct but of a piece.
I had to run out to look at some of the indicator titles I own. Didnt realize putting the rainbow at the bottom was different.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Anti-Worlds

#12 Post by domino harvey » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:43 pm

I've never heard of the three movies in the initial slate and after having looked them up, well... I don't think this is going to be an offshoot label for anything I ever want to see

What A Disgrace

#13 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:54 pm

Getting major Montage Pictures vibes from the new label, and I haven't bought a single one of those yet. Still, their website promises some interesting titles. Ben Rivers's latest film, Porumboiu's Infinite Football, and Peter Strickland's next film? Hm!

Glowingwabbit

#14 Post by Glowingwabbit » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:25 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:43 pm
I've never heard of the three movies in the initial slate and after having looked them up, well... I don't think this is going to be an offshoot label for anything I ever want to see
The trailer for Relaxer was enough for me to email Oscilloscope and ask them not to include it in my Circle of Trust subscription. Thankfully they were cool with it as it looked awful.

Never heard of the other two.

therewillbeblus

#15 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:35 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Relaxer has been in the new release section at my local library for at least a few weeks, and every time I see it there I make a hard pass. I’ll probably check it out now, but if this splits the Indicator numbers it’ll be a disappointment when that film is already on blu-ray, and California Split is not.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#16 Post by domino harvey » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:37 pm

I’d like to point out that a screen cap for Holiday that popped up featured an older man holding down the blonde on the cover while trying to force his exposed erect penis into her mouth, for those curious if it’s a light-hearted romp

MichaelB

#17 Post by MichaelB » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:45 pm

I think it's pretty clear from the cover alone that Holiday isn't a light-hearted romp, and the amply deserved 18 certificate ("scene of graphic sexual violence, strong violence") should help ensure that it's not confused with this classic British Transport Film.

Incidentally, it's uncut - someone who'd seen it was asking about this over on Facebook.

(It would be extraordinarily hard to cut given the film's fondness for extremely long takes, although that didn't stop Miklós Jancsó's The Red and the White getting chopped up for its Soviet release.)

reaky

#18 Post by reaky » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:06 pm

I fear for unwitting buyers hoping for a Cary Grant/Katherine Hepburn comedy and popping this one in the player.

zedz

#19 Post by zedz » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:26 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:37 pm
I’d like to point out that a screen cap for Holiday that popped up featured an older man holding down the blonde on the cover while trying to force his exposed erect penis into her mouth, for those curious if it’s a light-hearted romp
I've seen Holiday and thought it was pretty bad. Somewhat stylish, but desperate to be edgy and unpleasant (there is indeed a long, single-shot rape sequence). Its main gimmick is wondering whether the main character (arm candy for some thugs on holiday) is a naive victim or willing accomplice. But everybody in the film is so thick or obnoxious (even the protagonist we're supposed to identify with), I can't imagine who would actually care. There's some definite filmmaking skill here (and an opening scene which is more evocative and intriguing than anything else in the film), so I hope Eklof goes on to less puerile (I am fully aware of the etymology) fare. She also scripted Border, which I found really, really dumb, but which has some very enthusiastic supporters, so if you liked that, maybe you'll like this.
Last edited by zedz on Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

therewillbeblus

#20 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:41 pm

That sounds like my least favorite kind of film, and I hated Border, so I think I’ll pass. Thanks for taking one for the team

Aunt Peg

#21 Post by Aunt Peg » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:25 am

zedz wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:26 pm
domino harvey wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:37 pm
I've seen Holiday and thought it was pretty bad. Somewhat stylish, but desperate to be edgy and unpleasant (there is indeed a long, single-shot rape sequence). It's main gimmick is wondering whether the main character (arm candy for some thugs on holiday) is a naive victim or willing accomplice. But everybody in the film is so thick or obnoxious (even the protagonist we're supposed to identify with), I can't imagine who would actually care. There's some definite filmmaking skill here (and an opening scene which is more evocative and intriguing than anything else in the film), so I hope Eklof goes on to less puerile (I am fully aware of the etymology) fare. She also scripted Border, which I found really, really dumb, but which has some very enthusiastic supporters, so if you liked that, maybe you'll like this.
Couldn't agree more. To make my viewing even worse the director introduced the film and warned us that we might be offended and its OK to walk out. :roll:

She must think everyone has been living in a cave or something.

I am looking forward to Chained For Life which first caught my attention in the 2018 London Film Festival Program. I'm happy to and will be blind-buying it.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#22 Post by tenia » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:27 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:41 pm
That sounds like my least favorite kind of film, and I hated Border, so I think I’ll pass. Thanks for taking one for the team
Border was indeed quite disappointing. It felt for about 40 minutes it could be a good one, but it takes all the wrong turns afterwards only to get into something surely unexpected but on the other hand quite predictible somehow (and not interesting at all in any case).

TMDaines

#23 Post by TMDaines » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:10 am

domino harvey wrote:
Holiday got a fair bit of attention in the UK. Been on my watchlist for a while.

MichaelB

#24 Post by MichaelB » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:20 am

I see nobody's posted the initial specs, so here goes:
CHAINED FOR LIFE (2018)

Aaron Schimberg’s impressive second feature is his response, as a filmmaker with facial deformity, to cinematic portrayals of disfigured people, from Freaks to The Elephant Man. Simultaneously empathetic and sardonic, Chained for Life’s multi-layered meta-narrative casts Jess Weixler (Teeth) as Mabel, a well-intentioned Hollywood star. She takes the role of a blind woman in a hospital-based horror movie about abnormalities, directed by an egomaniacal German filmmaker. As shooting progresses, Mabel gradually falls for her friendly British co-star Rosenthal, played by Under the Skin actor Adam Pearson.

Limited Edition 2 x Blu-ray contents:

DISC 1: CHAINED FOR LIFE

• High Definition presentation
• Original mono soundtrack
• Audio commentary with writer-director Aaron Schimberg
A Different Kind of Intimacy (2020): new interview with actor Jess Weixler
Good Things Happen to Good People (2020): new interview with actor Adam Pearson
We Are Family (2020): new interview with actor Sara Lennick
• Eight deleted/extended scenes
• Super 8 on-set footage
Late Spring/Regrets for Our Youth (2018): short film by Aaron Schimberg
• Theatrical trailer
• Image gallery
• English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing

DISC 2: GO DOWN DEATH (LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE)

• UK premiere presentation of Aaron Schimberg’s debut feature
• High Definition presentation
• Original mono soundtrack
• Theatrical trailer
• Image gallery
• Limited edition exclusive booklet containing new writing on the films, and film credits
• Limited edition of 3,000 copies
HOLIDAY (2018)

This controversial drama, passed fully uncut by the BBFC, tells the story of the trophy girlfriend of a Danish drug lord who sets a dangerous game in motion when she seeks the attention of another man whilst on vacation in the Turkish Riviera. Included in The Hollywood Reporter’s list of the Best 20 Films from Sundance 2018, and in IndieWire’s list of Sundance standouts that deserve to find distribution, the film has met with critical acclaim all around the world. Director Isabella Eklöf was also selected in the 10 directors to watch list by IndieWire.

Limited Edition Blu-ray contents:

• High Definition presentation
• Classified fully uncut by the BBFC
• Original 5.1 surround sound
• Tricks of the Trade (2020): new interview with writer-director Isabella Eklöf
• ICA Q&A (2019): audience Q&A with Eklöf recorded at London’s Institute of Contemporary Arts
• Theatrical trailer
• Image gallery
• English subtitles
• English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive booklet containing new writing on the film, and film credits
RELAXER (2018)

Set on the eve of Y2K, Relaxer is a mind-bending drama about a young man who is tasked by his overbearing brother to get to level 256 on the classic computer game Pac-Man, and not to leave his couch until he does. Inspired by Luis Buñuel’s absurdist classic The Exterminating Angel, the film premiered at the 2018 South by Southwest festival, and won the Best Actor award at that year’s Fantasia Film Festival.

Limited Edition 2 x Blu-ray contents:

DISC 1: RELAXER

• Original stereo soundtrack
• Audio commentary by writer-director Joel Potrykus
• Behind-the-scenes footage
• Deleted scene
• Rehearsal footage
• A selection of short films by Joel Potrykus: Ludivico Treatment (1999), Ludivico Testament (1999) and Coyote (2010)
Follicle Gang (Green) (2011): music video for Heavier Than Air Flying Machines, directed by Potrykus
• Image gallery
• Theatrical trailer
• David Dastmalchian promos

DISC 2: BUZZARD (LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE)

• UK premiere presentation of writer-director Joel Potrykus’ 2014 feature
• Original stereo soundtrack
• Audio commentary by writer-director Joel Potrykus
• Buzzard: The Rehearsal Cut (2014): alternative version of the complete film comprised entirely of rehearsal footage
• Locarno Film Festival footage
• Behind the scenes footage
• Seven deleted/alternative scenes
• Hidden ‘Buzzard’ (2014): a guide to the ‘Easter eggs’ within the film
• Image gallery
• Theatrical trailer
• Festival trailer
• English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition booklet containing new writing on the films, and film credits
• Limited edition of 3,000 copies

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#25 Post by tenia » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:36 am

MichaelB wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:20 am
I see nobody's posted the initial specs
I can't see them anywhere (PH's webstore, Amazon, Facebook, Anti-Worlds website). Where were they already available ? I'm wondering where I missed.