Artificial Eye / Curzon Film World

Milestone, Flicker Alley, Oscilloscope, Cinema Guild...they're all here.
copen

Re: Artificial Eye / Curzon Film World

#1951 Post by copen » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:18 pm

Rien Ne Va Plus (the swindle) (claude chabrol)
Studio: Artificial Eye
DVD Release Date: 24 Sept. 2012

does anyone know if this has a better english translation that the 2006 "Second Sight" release.
the 2006 has a 'lazy' english translation (not complete).
thanks

Calvin

#1952 Post by Calvin » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:36 pm

Roy Andersson's A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting Upon Existence will be released on Blu-Ray and DVD on July 13th. Dated for the same day is a Roy Andersson box set with that film, A Swedish Love Story, Songs from the Second Floor and You, The Living - DVD-only "at the moment" (according to the press note, via Dr. Svet at Blu-Ray.com) so I'd like to suggest that people email info@artificial-eye.com and politely lobby them to release it on Blu-Ray as well.

Paul Moran

#1953 Post by Paul Moran » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:21 pm

Meglos2000 wrote:I bought the Artificial Eye Truffaut Antoine Doniel set. It is great but there seems to be an error on the Antoine and Colette short, which can be found on the Bed and Board disc. The sound occasionally drops out and at the end there is silence when there should be the song. Has anyone else had this problem or is it just my disc?
Sorry, only just noticed your post. The good news is - it's not just your disc; the bad news is - AE don't seem in any hurry to explain the faults or to fix them.

Two of us, at least, bought this set from MovieMail recently, and spotted the same dropouts: 11:18 to 11:24; 23:07 to 24:01 (the record pressing scene); 29:16 to 30:14 (the stills at the end of film). It's possible to hear the missing soundtrack, at much reduced volume, during the optional audio commentary. And there are no dropouts in the version in Criterion's Antoine Doinel DVD box set.

There's an amazon.co.uk customer review of the Bed & Board BD which mentions the dropouts; the customer complained to AE back in January, but doesn't seem to have had a reply yet. My own complaint is more recent!

I also found a DigitalFix review of the DVD version of Bed & Board; the DVD seems to have the same Antoine & Colette dropouts as the BD. The reviewer noticed them, but thought they were intentional! Unfortunate, because a scathing review might have prompted AE to do something about them. The Blu-ray.com review of the BD doesn't mention the dropouts.

Rupert Pupkin

#1954 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:55 am

Calvin wrote:Roy Andersson's A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting Upon Existence will be released on Blu-Ray and DVD on July 13th. Dated for the same day is a Roy Andersson box set with that film, A Swedish Love Story, Songs from the Second Floor and You, The Living - DVD-only "at the moment" (according to the press note, via Dr. Svet at Blu-Ray.com) so I'd like to suggest that people email info@artificial-eye.com and politely lobby them to release it on Blu-Ray as well.
I've just emailed politely Artificial Eye about a blu-ray release of a "Swedish Love Story" - I'm waiting for a blu-ray releases since years.
I saw the it in 2008, in France when there was a theatrical release (the restoration was amazing). It hadn't been released before in France.
There is a DVD released in Sweden which I bought several years ago. The quality of the transfer was stunning for a SD DVD. No DVD has been released at that time in France, so I bought the Swedish DVD.
The only drawback is that they wanted to add a lot a lot a lot of extras and should have done a 2 DVD set instead of a DVD-9 (the "retrouvailles" when the 2 actors meets again is really moving) but the encoding of the extras had some problems : bitrate too low; with some pixels artefacts during the very nice casting footage.

I suppose that A.Eye probably used the same transfer for the DVD.

But... They've never released on Blu-Ray "A Swedish Love Story" in Sweden so far ???????? :|

Calvin

#1955 Post by Calvin » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:58 am

Rupert Pupkin wrote:But... They've never released on Blu-Ray "A Swedish Love Story" in Sweden so far ???????? :|
No, but they said to me that they might after Pigeon is released

GaryC

#1956 Post by GaryC » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:44 pm

Paul Moran wrote:I also found a DigitalFix review of the DVD version of Bed & Board; the DVD seems to have the same Antoine & Colette dropouts as the BD. The reviewer noticed them, but thought they were intentional! Unfortunate, because a scathing review might have prompted AE to do something about them. The Blu-ray.com review of the BD doesn't mention the dropouts.
That isn't what I actually said. There are scenes in Antoine et Colette which are clearly intentionally without direct sound, but those aren't where the sound drop-outs occurred. I've slightly re-edited that part of the review now, for clarity.

Zot!

#1957 Post by Zot! » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:04 pm

Nuts...looks like I'm waiting for a prospective Criterion set after all.

Paul Moran

#1958 Post by Paul Moran » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:21 pm

GaryC wrote:
Paul Moran wrote:I also found a DigitalFix review of the DVD version of Bed & Board; the DVD seems to have the same Antoine & Colette dropouts as the BD. The reviewer noticed them, but thought they were intentional! Unfortunate, because a scathing review might have prompted AE to do something about them. The Blu-ray.com review of the BD doesn't mention the dropouts.
That isn't what I actually said. There are scenes in Antoine et Colette which are clearly intentionally without direct sound, but those aren't where the sound drop-outs occurred. I've slightly re-edited that part of the review now, for clarity.
Thanks for the clarification, GaryC. I had wrongly taken your original phrase "some sequences are intentionally shot without sound" to mean that some sequences in the finished film were intended to be silent, i.e. no audio at all. That was clearly not the case for the BD sequences at 23:07 to 24:01 (the record pressing sequence) and 29:16 to 30:14 (the stills at the end of the film). The AE commentary track, and the Criterion DVD, proved that these sequences - which are completely silent in the main AE audio track - were intended to have musical accompaniments (orchestral for the first sequence, a song for the second).

criterionsnob

#1959 Post by criterionsnob » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:21 pm

The Roy Andersson Collection Blu-ray announced for July 13th.

Four blu-rays, containing:
A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting Upon Existence
You, the Living
Songs from the Second Floor
A Swedish Love Story

swo17

#1960 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:07 pm

Many thanks to anyone that helped push them into deciding to upgrade!

chatterjees

#1961 Post by chatterjees » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:31 pm

That's really great news, but I surely hope that one day people will start pushing them into deciding to upgrade their Theo Angelopoulos and Béla Tarr Collections. [-o<

Rupert Pupkin

#1962 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:28 am

wow! that's great news! I've emailed this week-end Artificial Eye about "A Swedish Love Story" (which I had bought on DVD (the Swedish release- I hope that they will include the casting footage in the bonus) and I really wasn't expected that it could work (they replied that they will forward my email to their own department)
thanks to all who email A.Eye and A.Eye for this nice decision.

I will pre-order this blu-ray box right now...

I wonder now if Sweden will release his own Blu-Ray of "A Swedish Love Story" (sorry "En kärlekshistoria") now.

At least, someone from dvdclassik who is at the trousses of Fantomas will be happy... :wink: .... well perhaps...
:wink: :oops:

rapta

#1963 Post by rapta » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:52 am

chatterjees wrote:That's really great news, but I surely hope that one day people will start pushing them into deciding to upgrade their Theo Angelopoulos and Béla Tarr Collections. [-o<
I'd also love to see the remaining Haneke, Wong titles upgraded...if not in a set then at least separately (and maybe a few Kaurismäki too). As for sets, my most-wanted would probably be Jia Zhangke and Abbas Kiarostami (though I was hoping the rights for The Wind Will Carry Us had run out and Eureka might add it to MoC using the Cohen transfer...either way though).

Calvin

#1964 Post by Calvin » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:23 am

In this case, they were releasing it on DVD anyway, Andersson has a new film out and there were HD transfers available so the stars aligned. They missed a similar opportunity with the Dardennes, but it makes more sense for them to upgrade Andersson than Angelopoulos or Tarr (though I'd love them both too). I don't think there are any HD masters of Tarr's films before The Man from London (happy to be corrected here!).

MichaelB

#1965 Post by MichaelB » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:08 am

Calvin wrote:In this case, they were releasing it on DVD anyway, Andersson has a new film out and there were HD transfers available so the stars aligned. They missed a similar opportunity with the Dardennes, but it makes more sense for them to upgrade Andersson than Angelopoulos or Tarr (though I'd love them both too). I don't think there are any HD masters of Tarr's films before The Man from London (happy to be corrected here!).
Is there even one for The Man from London?

As for the Dardennes, they made it clear at the time that HD masters simply weren't available for many of the titles that they had the rights to.

Calvin

#1966 Post by Calvin » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:48 am

MichaelB wrote: Is there even one for The Man from London?

As for the Dardennes, they made it clear at the time that HD masters simply weren't available for many of the titles that they had the rights to.
I don't know either way about The Man from London, but being a 2007 film it may well have.

Re: Dardennes, I wasn't aware that they said that. Thanks for the clarification.

Calvin

#1967 Post by Calvin » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:52 pm

From Blu-Ray.com, the full Q3 slate is as follows:

6th July 2015
Still Alice - Released on DVD & Blu-ray

13th July 2015
A Pigeon Sat On a Branch Reflecting Upon Existence - DVD & Blu-ray
The Roy Andersson Collection (4 Disc set) -- DVD & Blu-ray

27th July 2015
Clouds of Sils Maria - DVD & Blu-ray
The Kid (Chaplin) - DVD & Blu-ray
A Woman of Paris (Chaplin) - DVD & Blu-ray
The Gold Rush (Chaplin) - DVD & Blu-ray
The Circus (Chaplin) - DVD & Blu-ray

10th Aug 2015
Timbuktu - DVD & Blu-ray
Les Combattants - DVD only

24th Aug 2015
Queen & Country - DVD only
City Lights (Chaplin) - DVD & Blu-ray
Modern Times (Chaplin) - DVD & Blu-ray
The Great Dictator (Chaplin) DVD & Blu-ray
Monsieur Verdoux (Chaplin) DVD & Blu-ray

7th Sep 2015
The Salt of the Earth - DVD & Blu-ray
The Dance of Reality - DVD & Blu-ray

21st Sep 2015
Limelight (Chaplin) - DVD & Blu-ray
A King In New York (Chaplin) - DVD & Blu-ray
The Chaplin Revue - DVD & Blu-ray

A box set of the Chaplins and the promised Tarkovsky titles will follow in Q4.

EddieLarkin

#1968 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:04 pm

I wonder if The Gold Rush will continue to be the 1942 version only, and if City Lights will remain in the wrong ratio.

RobertAltman

#1969 Post by RobertAltman » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:22 pm

No BD for Queen & Contry :shock:

reaky

#1970 Post by reaky » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:23 pm

It's now been over two years since they announced a BD of Au Hasard Balthazar.

rapta

#1971 Post by rapta » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:18 pm

reaky wrote:It's now been over two years since they announced a BD of Au Hasard Balthazar.
I believe that's not their fault, there's a holdup with the company in charge of restoring it. Similar thing going on with Louis Malle's Lift to the Scaffold, it seems.

Lino
"Without obsession, life is nothing"

#1972 Post by Lino » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:11 pm

Artificial Eye seem to be upgrading to HD some of their older or already released DVDs. Just wishful thinking on my part, of course but does anyone know if they plan to do that with this boxset (yes, I know that The Great Beauty is already out on Blu-ray)?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00H2SUNNW/r ... g=UTF8&me=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rapta

#1973 Post by rapta » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:36 pm

There are plenty of sets I hope they upgrade, it's just a matter of whether there's an HD transfer available, whether the rights are still available, and whether there's a considerable demand at the time. Perhaps - much like they are doing with the upcoming Andersson set (which they almost did DVD-only until some of us lobbied them for Blu-ray as well) - they will 'upgrade' from the DVD set next time a Sorrentino film comes out in the UK, assuming they will be distributing it (they usually try to maintain a relationship with directors, I've noticed). His new one, Youth, is premiering at Cannes this year so I reckon AE will pick it up and release it later this year or, more likely, early next year...followed by a Blu-ray release a couple of months after. So we may see a set then.

I'm personally hoping their decision to finally release Michael Haneke's Funny Games US (despite it having had two Blu-ray releases in the UK in the past, one of which I own) amounts to an eventual upgrade of some of his other titles, and perhaps a box set. But again, that's more likely if and when his next film Flashmob is released.

Finch

#1974 Post by Finch » Fri May 15, 2015 6:21 pm

British distributors Curzon Artificial Eye have acquired Gaspar Noe's (Irreversible) latest film, Love (2015), starring Karl Glusman, Klara Kristin, and Aomi Muyock. The film, which is the first Noe has shot in 3D, will be shown during Special Midnight Screening at the Cannes Film Festival this month.

In addition to Love, Curzon Artificial Eye have picked up the UK distribution rights to Guillaume Nicloux's Valley of Love, starring Gérard Depardieu, Isabelle Huppert, and Dan Warner, and Nanni Moretti's Mia Madre, starring Margherita Buy, John Turturro, and Giulia Lazzarini. Finally, Curzon Artificial Eye will also distribute Xavier Dolan's (Mommy) new film, It's Only The End Of The World, starring Marion Cotillard, Léa Seydoux, and Vincent Cassel.

Preliminary theatrical release dates have not yet been revealed.

Following the acquisitions, Louisa Dent, MD of Curzon Artificial Eye, said: "Valley of Love promises two central performances from French cinema royalty, and Mia Madre sees Nanni Moretti deliver a film that is funny and moving in equal measure.

Gaspar Noé's Love will undoubtedly be one of the talking points of the festival. We are equally excited to be releasing the prodigiously talented Xavier Dolan's up-coming film.

We are having a fantastic year at the box office, and are very pleased to be able to add these films to our slate."

pointless

#1975 Post by pointless » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:36 pm

Curzon Artificial Eye have acquired the distribution rights to the following:

Matteo Garrone's first English-language film, Tale of Tales
Hirokazu Kore-eda's drama Our Little Sister
Michel Franco's Chronic
Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne's The Unknown Girl
Cristian Mungiu's untitled new film
Haifaa Al-Mansour's A Storm in the Stars