Artificial Eye / Curzon Film World

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Rupert Pupkin

Re: Artificial Eye / Curzon Film World

#1826 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:12 am

that's indeed some great news for the François Truffaut at Artificial Eye... :)
unfortunately, things have changed, and there is a big risk that the subtitles will be forced- or even worse ingrained; which means unremovable with a software. Like it is the case for the Bresson blu-ray "Mouchette"....

I live in France and the last Truffaut releases have been butchered (Le Dernier Métro for instance...)
Moreover, if A.E has to put forced subtitles on his blu-ray, it doesn't imply that they will quickly be released in France.

I bought Criterion "Le Dernier Métro" day 1.
I'm mindblowed with the edition of "Jules et Jim".

That's about 2 or 3 years now that I saw several news about the "Soft Skin" being restored (still in theatres in the US ?) and I really [-o< [-o< that Framboise Dorléac will come as an hôtesse de l'air et tout le tra-lala on Criterion in blu-ray.
(but I'm still crazy to buy a forced-subtitled A.E blu-ray if Criterion didn't release this)
I still really hope that it will come at Criterion (it is still available through hulu channel ?)

then there's Claude Jade :oops: Years and years that I've been waiting for a Les aventures d'Antoine Doinel blu-ray upgrade.
judging the Truffaut titles announced at Artificial Eye, I didn't see Criterion releasing a big box set like they did for Jacques Demy.
The Soft Skin as more its place for a single release, and the Doinel box set is already a "theme box".

acf171072

#1828 Post by acf171072 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:03 pm

Balthazar delayed again. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) End of October. By the time this comes out Blu Ray may be obsolete.

John Cope

#1829 Post by John Cope » Sat May 10, 2014 7:35 pm

Just watched the new Blu of Querelle. The movie is superb of course and always will be but the disc is a study in frustration. It's never looked or sounded better than it does here but the problem lies in the fact that the numerous interspersed title cards are in French (not translated into English as they were on the old Columbia Tri-Star DVD). There are subs available but not with the English language track. You can switch them on independently but it would be better for the flow of the film to not have to do that every five or ten minutes as you have to access them via an additional menu screen. You can leave them on, of course, and that was my initial impulse as I do that all the time anyway but here the additional complication/problem arises from the fact that the subs don't match the dialogue of the English language version. I assume they are subs then of the French or German soundtracks which I would then assume means that if they are precise then they are translations of translations. This gets into some pretty interesting terrain, at least theoretically, but I don't necessarily want to deal with that here. This ain't Godard. Also wish that AE had managed to get The Wizard of Babylon for inclusion on the disc. Somebody really needs to release that.

MichaelB

#1830 Post by MichaelB » Sun May 11, 2014 6:04 am

Every time I accuse Artificial Eye of being lazy or sloppy (which, sadly, seems to be increasingly often these days), a certain Blu-ray.com reviewer pops up to wag his finger sternly at me for my presumption, but what you describe is exactly the sort of thing that a truly conscientious company should have ironed out at the production stage, or at worst in QC. There's really no excuse: you can't blame subpar materials or contractual obligations for something like this.

In fact, I had a very similar situation on one of my projects in which a supplied subtitle track similarly catered for both translation and HOH/SDH transcription, and while there was a small additional cost to split it into two separate tracks (which I minimised by doing virtually all the actual separation myself - all the subtitle company did was format the resulting files in a way that the authoring house could use), I'm very glad I did it.

EddieLarkin

#1831 Post by EddieLarkin » Sun May 11, 2014 9:47 am

Svet says in his review that English subs are "also" available for the French titles. Is he skirting around the fact these subs are actually just the ones available for the whole film then?

McCrutchy

#1832 Post by McCrutchy » Wed May 14, 2014 8:21 pm

The review is up for Bastards at Blu-ray.com. AE have made this one an easy purchase with optional subtitles and the extras from the French Wild Side DVD.

Kauno

#1833 Post by Kauno » Thu May 15, 2014 2:30 am

Great news about Truffaut titles. I guess there is a box set in sight.

Adam X

#1834 Post by Adam X » Sat May 17, 2014 11:14 am

McCrutchy wrote:The review is up for Bastards at Blu-ray.com. AE have made this one an easy purchase with optional subtitles and the extras from the French Wild Side DVD.
And here I was dismayed that all AE had provided was a 'Talent Casting featurette'.
Sounds pretty damn good, can't wait.

Bürgermeister

#1835 Post by Bürgermeister » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:59 am

I e-mailed Artificial Eye about The Past and what extras it'll have if any.
Got this response.
Thank you for your email and your interest in our films. The extras will be: Making of 'Featurette', Theatrical Trailer, and Interviews with Ali Mosaffa, Berenice Bejo, Tahar Rahim and Mahmoud Kalari.
I also asked about subtitles
I'm afraid there is no option for on/off subtitles.
](*,)
Order cancelled, I'll get the US release.

Rupert Pupkin

#1836 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:06 am

is there a review about the upcoming Leos Carax's Blu-Ray on Artificial Eye (test disk) ?
No that the subtitles ingrained or forced seems to be the "rule" with French title (even when no release in France on blu-ray are planned)
I'm a bit in a [-o< [-o< state...

I was and I'm still highly interested in "Mauvais Sang" on Blu-Ray, but if the subtitles turned out to be forced... :|

Rupert Pupkin

#1837 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:55 am

EDIT: apparently for the Leos Carax the subtitles will be removable

pro-bassoonist (bless you*) got a confirmation :

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p ... count=1092" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

that's (one) of the good news of the day \:D/

*one of those underrated John Lennon's ballad from Walls & Bridges...

whaleallright

#1838 Post by whaleallright » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:55 pm

correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a report that indicated that Kino Lorber purchased the US home-video rights to the first two Carax features? not saying anyone should avoid the Artificial Eye, but for those of us in the US (or who just don't wish to double-dip on Holy Motors)...

The Fanciful Norwegian

#1839 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:48 am

There's no indication Kino Lorber has those films. The error came about because of a Variety article discussing Carlotta's plans to reissue them in U.S. theaters, which was misinterpreted to mean that Carlotta had the theatrical rights but Kino Lorber had the video rights. In fact the article was referring to The Little Fugitive. It didn't specify whether Carlotta has U.S. video rights to the two Carax films, but I've seen other references indicating they plan to release them later this year, presumably after Boy Meets Girl finishes its theatrical rounds.

Finch

#1840 Post by Finch » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:13 pm

The following films have been bought by Curzon and Artificial Eye:

Clouds of Sils Maria, Salt of the Earth, Wild Tales, Turist, Gentlemen and related TV Series Gentlemen & Gangsters, Red Army, Les Combattants, Snow in Paradise, Timbuktu, Two Days One Night and Leviathan.

manicsounds

#1841 Post by manicsounds » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:33 am

chatterjees

#1842 Post by chatterjees » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:35 pm

The Lars von Trier Collection (5 Disc Blu-ray) is now will be released on 27 October. I am kind of getting tired of these delays.

rattlebag

#1843 Post by rattlebag » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:56 pm

chatterjees wrote:The Lars von Trier Collection (5 Disc Blu-ray) is now will be released on 27 October. I am kind of getting tired of these delays.
It's driven by the delay to Breaking the Waves. They haven't got their Blu Ray production into operation at all.

chatterjees

#1844 Post by chatterjees » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:34 pm

Now Leos Carax Collection BD set has also been delayed. Its gonna come out on October 27, 2014.

perkizitore

#1845 Post by perkizitore » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:48 pm

The Leos Carax blu-rays included in this set have already been released, so it's not a big deal really.

chatterjees

#1846 Post by chatterjees » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:14 pm

I ordered the box set, not the individual releases, so its definitely a big deal for me :cry:
As all the films are already individually released, this delay doesn't make any sense and therefore, it should be a big deal.

perkizitore

#1847 Post by perkizitore » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:33 pm

Most people interested in this set own Holy Motors already, so there aren't any real savings to get this set unless you don't own Holy Motors already.

carax09

#1848 Post by carax09 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:01 pm

Received an interesting email explaining the delay of the Carax set:
Thank you for your email and your interest in our films. Both The Night is Young and Boy Meets Girl Blu-Rays (also DVDs) have been released this week. However, the Leos Carax collection won't be released until later in the year as we are waiting for some exclusive extras to include here. I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Patricia

Rupert Pupkin

#1849 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:06 am

got my Blu-Ray UK of "Mauvais Sang" Artificial Eye yesterday...
I've always had a massive crush for Julie Delpy :oops: :oops: (sorry Juliette...) since I saw her when I was younger than her (hard to follow) in "La Passion Béatrice"
glad to see that the subtitles are removable as the gentleman from blu-ray.com confirmed before...
It was too much for me at that time, the early scene in the forrest- so magic with Lise aka Julie; the condom scene and Julie's smile...
the subway close-up on the window with poor Lise and my little heart was totally broken at that right second. At that time I was too young and it was too much emotion for me to go futher after this scene... I tried... I couldn't understand why leaving Lise for a reflection (what a beautiful scene!) in the bus... Modern Love, etc...
well, the HD makes those scenes magnificient; the scene with this ultra-adorable Anna Karina-like Juliette Binoche; the scenes to try to make her laughs with the legumes-vegetables scene, the comette of halay with the macadam/tar so warm, etc...
pure magic...

there's a nice bonus with some extra footages, screen tests, etc...

the transfer is excellent (could have been better I don't know - color are vivid, and details are great. Perhaps there is a little lack of grain I don't know... it looks like it has been very slightly filtering but I don't know perhaps is it me - some close-ups on Denis Lavant for instance...)

now, all those connections, quotes to Godard's movies are obvious to me (at that time I only saw Breathless) and in the end it was an era with Hal Hartley and "Unbelievable Truth" or "Trust"/"Trust Me"... (it's funny because I just noticed how the end of Trust could be a "clin d'œil" to the end of Zulawski's Possession)

I could check if this is region A compatible if you want... (I have a multiregion player so I can "simulate" a "region A status")

criterionsnob

#1850 Post by criterionsnob » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:28 am

I haven't seen any reviews yet, but I can confirm the Artificial Eye blu-ray of Mauvais sang (The Night is Young) plays on Region A players. I just watched my copy and am completely smitten with this film.