Artificial Eye / Curzon Film World

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
GaryC

Re: Artificial Eye / Curzon Film World

#1901 Post by GaryC » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:25 am

rapta wrote:
jheez wrote:Amazon is saying March 23, 2015 for Au Hasard Balthazar now. Sheesh.
March 23rd 2015 seems to be the graveyard date for delayed titles...BFI's Eyes Without A Face joining it now! Such a shame...looking forward to both. Will Lift to the Scaffold ever come out either?
The BFI's Nineteen Eighty-Four (the 1953 BBC production) has gone back to that date as well, though I'm told it's a date they're "working towards".

MichaelB

#1902 Post by MichaelB » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:17 am

rapta wrote:In the UK at least, 2014 shall be remembered as 'year of delays' - Artificial Eye leading the pack, but Arrow, BFI and Network have all been pretty terrible at keeping original release dates. Eureka a few times but not by much, and most of all they keep in contact with their audience and don't end up delaying things by several months (or revising the date the week before release).
To be fair to Arrow, they're also very communicative, and the delays are generally only weeks rather than months - Rabid Dogs being the major exception, but there was a unique reason for that, and regular updates were posted.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1903 Post by Drucker » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:59 am

I'd rather have a product delayed than buy something that needs a recall.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1904 Post by tenia » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:37 pm

MichaelB wrote:To be fair to Arrow, they're also very communicative, and the delays are generally only weeks rather than months - Rabid Dogs being the major exception, but there was a unique reason for that, and regular updates were posted.
They are, and it's very important. From a customer point of view, there's nothing worse timing-wise than seeing a delay and have no clue why it is delayed or (even worse) when it will actually be released.

Eureka is usually not so bad, because they now communicate enough (IMO) on their delays, and it's usually very short delays (which I always guessed are more linked to manufacturing bad timings).
But AE and the BFI are awfully bad at this, delaying things over months without telling why.

chatterjees

#1905 Post by chatterjees » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:20 pm

Are The Lars von Trier Collection and the Leos Carax Collection still slated for Nov? According to amazon, there is a slight change in delivery date now. I am very much sure that couple of day ago, there was a delivery date in Nov. Now it says
Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date.

TIVOLI

#1906 Post by TIVOLI » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:52 pm

I have become concerned about the Carax collection blu-ray, which I ordered in March(!), and asked Amazon.uk customer service to look into it after the November issue date was dropped. No answer yet.This set was listed as 3 discs, but now a 4-disc collection is slated for December release. My worry is that they will not honor the initial order.

FrauBlucher

#1908 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:08 pm

That's great news. Now, all they need to do is the same for Bela Tarr and I will be extremely jazzed.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1909 Post by swo17 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:30 pm

That AE rep sounds a little clueless. Something tells me it's the same guy giving out release information for those Bresson Blu-rays.

solaris72

#1910 Post by solaris72 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:11 pm

YES! I've got everything except The Mirror and Stalker, but been dying to get good copies of those. And I'll surely re-buy any others that have improved transfers compared to their region A counterparts.

chatterjees

#1911 Post by chatterjees » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:14 pm

Great news indeed. I guess its time for me to get rid of the two Kino releases.
Also, Lars von Trier Blu-ray collection has been moved to Dec 8. Hopefully this is final. Now they have the cover art up and a new new title for the collection -Shock & Awe: Four Films by Lars von Trier
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Shock-and ... ray/95648/

reaky

#1912 Post by reaky » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:48 am

Hold your horses. I've been waiting 2 years for AE's announced Au Hasard Balthazar bluray.

manicsounds

#1913 Post by manicsounds » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:17 am

Hopefully Artificial Eye also reissues The Tarkovsky Companion DVD, either separately, or as bonus features on the films.

GaryC

#1914 Post by GaryC » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:29 pm

Just to mention, the English subtitles on the Blu-ray of Ida are optional. The only extra is the trailer.

aox

#1915 Post by aox » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:04 am

Sorry for the simple question, but AE releases (even on BD) are always Region 2 and never region-free, correct?

chatterjees

#1916 Post by chatterjees » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:17 pm

aox wrote:Sorry for the simple question, but AE releases (even on BD) are always Region 2 and never region-free, correct?
Wrong, there are plenty of earlier BDs, which came region free. E.g., Ashes of Time Redux, Route Irish, Lourdes, White Material, Vincere, Katyn, The Double Life of Veronique and Hidden. There must be some others, but can't remember.

aox

#1917 Post by aox » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:22 pm

chatterjees wrote:
aox wrote:Sorry for the simple question, but AE releases (even on BD) are always Region 2 and never region-free, correct?
Wrong, there are plenty of earlier BDs, which came region free. E.g., Ashes of Time Redux, Route Irish, Lourdes, White Material, Vincere, Katyn, The Double Life of Veronique and Hidden. There must be some others, but can't remember.
My followup question would be: I shouldn't expect the Tarkovsky box to be region-free, correct?

chatterjees

#1918 Post by chatterjees » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:34 pm

Correct, you are.

Meglos2000

#1919 Post by Meglos2000 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:42 pm

I bought the Artificial Eye Truffaut Antoine Doniel set. It is great but there seems to be an error on the Antoine and Colette short, which can be found on the Bed and Board disc. The sound occasionally drops out and at the end there is silence when there should be the song. Has anyone else had this problem or is it just my disc?

pointless

#1920 Post by pointless » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:00 pm

Second quarter 2015 titles announced.

ARTIFICIAL EYE

13th April 2015
The Decent One (Der Anständige) (Vanessa Lapa, 2014) - DVD only
Still Life - DVD only

27th April 2015
The Duke of Burgundy (Peter Strickland, 2014) - DVD & Blu-ray

11th May 2015
Nymphomaniac - Directors Cut (Lars von Trier, 2013)
Passed completely uncut by the BBFC

8th June 2015
Wild Tales (Relatos salvajes) (Damián Szifrón, 2014) - DVD & Blu-ray

22nd June 2015
Force Majeure (Ruben Östlund, 2014) - DVD & Blu-ray

The previously revealed Andrei Tarkovsky titles will appear on Blu-ray later this year with newly produced supplemental features.

CURZON FILM WORLD

13th April 2015
Snow in Paradise (Andrew Hulme, 2014) - DVD only

kekid

#1921 Post by kekid » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:16 pm

Amazon has informed me that the Leos Carax Collection (Blu Ray) has been cancelled, based on the supplier communication.
No reason was provided as to why AE decided to cancel it.
Disappointing.

chatterjees

#1922 Post by chatterjees » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:46 pm

What do you mean? It will be released on February 23, 2015. I had to fight with the CS and finally they replaced the previous 3-discs set with this new 4-discs one. Here is the page for the new set.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00N ... ge_o02_s01
This set has already been reviewed on blu-ray.com

FrauBlucher

#1923 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:05 pm

The previously revealed Andrei Tarkovsky titles will appear on Blu-ray later this year with newly produced supplemental features.
This has me pumped.

kekid

#1924 Post by kekid » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:23 pm

chatterjees wrote:What do you mean? It will be released on February 23, 2015. I had to fight with the CS and finally they replaced the previous 3-discs set with this new 4-discs one. Here is the page for the new set.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00N ... ge_o02_s01
This set has already been reviewed on blu-ray.com
I have absolutely no idea why they sent me an e-mail canceling the order.
I went into my order bank, and it is indeed gone.

I had placed it many months ago. May be they changed the item number of the item, making the originally announced item obsolete. I wouldn't know.

Any way, thank you for your reply.

TMDaines

#1925 Post by TMDaines » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:00 am

After my local Curzon branch in Knutsford wanted to "celebrate" the continuation of their almost blanket showing of Fifty Shades, I got in touch on twitter. Their aim on their website is "to become a valued cultural hub": link. Predictably they played the "supply and demand" card neatly forgetting that many cultural centres eschew maximum profit for a genuinely diverse, alternative range of programming.