Artificial Eye / Curzon Film World

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
fdm

Re: Artificial Eye / Curzon Film World

#2176 Post by fdm » Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:19 pm

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:26 pm
Does anyone know if Curzon's Flux Gourmet blu has any extras?
A commentary with Peter Strickland and a short film called "Black Narcissus (Passion of the Swamp)" is what I see mentioned in some posts elsewhere.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#2177 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:17 am

Thanks - I was worried the film was getting dumped without extras.

mhofmann

#2178 Post by mhofmann » Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:12 pm

Can’t check right now but I think it was dumped with non-removable (i.e., burnt-in) English subtitles for the spoken Greek. The U.S. Blu-ray has removable subtitle options.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#2179 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:28 pm

Oh that's interesting. I think that Shudder streams it with the subtitles burnt-in so I thought it was intended.

MichaelB

#2180 Post by MichaelB » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:32 pm

The subtitles at those points are indeed burned in.

Which makes absolutely no difference to this non-Greek speaker - I wasn't even aware that they weren't optional until you raised it.

Stefan Andersson

#2181 Post by Stefan Andersson » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:38 pm

Any indications as to whether the Blurays included in the 4K Three Colours and Double Life of Veronique sets will be derived from the 4k remasters? Or will they be repackaged Blus of the older masters?

Mods: should there be a separate thread documenting which 4k/UHD releases contain Bluray discs derived from the 4k masters? An overview of chances to upgrade from Blu to UHD-on-Blu would be very useful to us as-yet not set up for UHD.

rapta

#2182 Post by rapta » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:51 am

Stefan Andersson wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:38 pm
Any indications as to whether the Blurays included in the 4K Three Colours and Double Life of Veronique sets will be derived from the 4k remasters? Or will they be repackaged Blus of the older masters?

Mods: should there be a separate thread documenting which 4k/UHD releases contain Bluray discs derived from the 4k masters? An overview of chances to upgrade from Blu to UHD-on-Blu would be very useful to us as-yet not set up for UHD.
Not clear yet but the extras on Veronique are the exact same as their previous Blu-ray - with the UHD having the film only (I believe) - so don't think the BD will be the new 4K restoration. Could be wrong of course, sometimes Curzon AE have randomly (sometimes unnecessarily) encoded separate discs for different editions in the past.

MichaelB

#2183 Post by MichaelB » Wed May 10, 2023 2:35 pm

I can now answer this in detail: the Blu-ray discs included in the 4K UHD package of both The Double Life of Véronique and the Three Colours Trilogy are indeed exactly the same ones as previously released, with the UHD discs containing just the features.

But the bonus disc in the Three Colours box makes up for a lot, containing what I believe to be Blu-ray premieres of full 1080p versions of the WFDIF restorations of several of Kieślowski's best documentaries (previously seen on the DVD-only Kieślowski Dokumentalista Polish release), plus three of his film-school shorts, plus Kazimierz Karabasz's already much-anthologised but here vastly improved The Musicians (1960), plus Piotr Studziński's The Face (1966), a film-school short by a contemporary of Kieślowski that just happens to be a study of Kieślowski's own face.

The Kieślowski films are Tramway (1966), The Office (1966), Concert of Requests (1967), Factory (1970), I Was a Soldier (1970), Hospital (1976), From a Night Porter's Point of View (1977), Seven Women of Different Ages (1978), Talking Heads (1980) and Railway Station (1980) - so not complete, but nonetheless a pretty good survey, all presented in the highest quality that I've seen to date. This is especially true of Concert of Requests, whose previous releases have been woeful (an analogue SD transfer of a well-worn print), but here it looks brand new.

Other bonuses are Maria Zmarz-Koczanowicz's affectionate feature-length documentary Still Alive (2005), albeit with a caveat that this version, unlike the one that Arrow put out a few years ago, has burned-in subtitles, including equally burned-in mistakes - for instance, a reference to "Lucia Bozze" rather than Lucia Bosè, which is correct in the Arrow edition (full disclosure: I was the one who corrected the mistakes). But the film's many virtues still ring out loud and clear regardless. The 11-minute In Search of Kieślowski is properly fascinating stuff, doubling as an introduction to the restoration process in general and colour correction in particular, including before-and-after comparisons, presented by Hiventy's Jérôme Bigueur. And then there's eight minutes of Slavoj Žižek on Kieślowski, if you fancy that sort of thing.

yoloswegmaster

#2184 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri May 19, 2023 10:58 am

For the first time ever, this comprehensive collection of the works of the acclaimed, maverick filmmaker Ruben Östlund boasts his complete feature filmography to date. Along with his two Palme d’Or-winning films The Square and Triangle of Sadness, the collection also includes three of his earlier short films, six bespoke invitation cards and an exclusive, specially-created card game endorsed by the filmmaker himself.

6 FILMS | 3 SHORT FILMS | EXCLUSIVE CARD GAME: ÖSTLUND’S ORDINARY DISASTERS | 6 COLLECTIBLE LUXURY INVITATION CARDS

SPECIAL FEATURES

Hard cover box set in a canvas slipcase
6 Feature Films: The Guitar Mongoloid, Involuntary, Play, Force Majeure, The Square, Triangle of Sadness
3 Short Films: Family Again, Autobiographical No. 6882, Incident by a Bank
New masterclass and interviews with Ruben Östlund.
Interviews, making of videos, featurettes, casting tapes and theatrical trailers.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2185 Post by swo17 » Fri May 19, 2023 11:12 am

Wonderful! The format isn't entirely clear but I don't see anyone saying anything about 4K, so the Criterion of Triangle could still have some added value

yoloswegmaster

#2186 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri May 19, 2023 11:23 am

It's nice to have discs for the first 3 films and the short films but I've never understood the creation of a director's set when the director himself is still alive and has plans to keep on creating more films. This set also could have been better by focusing solely on his early work and not including the latter 3 films, as they have already been individually released by Curzon (not to mention that it would help to decrease the cost and packaging size of the set).

Matt

#2187 Post by Matt » Fri May 19, 2023 12:29 pm

It’s just a superfan/Christmas cash grab. 1000 copies which will long be sold out by the time Östlund’s next feature comes out.

It’s kind of cute, actually.

rapta

#2188 Post by rapta » Fri May 19, 2023 12:55 pm

Bit of an odd cash-grab. Are there a thousand Östlund fans with £100 to blow, who don't already own some of the films in this set? They did this before with Bong Joon-ho, but at least they offered the earlier films separately too.

I'd personally rather pay twice this and get the Wenders set, which has a similarly too-high price point, but I may consider it eventually just for the sheer number of films (even if a lot of them would be double-dips).

MichaelB

#2189 Post by MichaelB » Fri May 19, 2023 1:00 pm

I was only persuaded to spring for the Three Colours box when I found about about the bonus disc, which I'd gladly have bought separately if that had been an option.

But it's still irritating, because the recent Kieślowski 4K sets also include upscaled versions of the crap analogue SD versions of the documentaries, which are now completely redundant.

yoloswegmaster

#2190 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:34 am

Known for his restless technical innovation and rebellious approach, Lars von Trier’s work has confronted taboo subjects and existential problems of the human condition with both thorny, troubled intelligence and puckish humour. Having courted ardent fans and enemies in equal measure during his nearly 40-year career, this extensive collection of works from one of world cinema's most renowned and daring provocateurs features films from his Dogme 95 years (The Idiots, Breaking the Waves) and beyond (Melancholia, Antichrist, Dogville), including the Directors’ Cut of Nymphomaniac.

FEATURE FILMS

Element of Crime (restored)

Epidemic (restored)

Europa (restored)

Breaking the Waves (restored)

The Idiots (restored)

Dogville (restored)

The Five Obstructions

Manderlay

The Boss of it All (restored)

Antichrist

Melancholia

Nymphomaniac: The Director’s Cut - Volumes I & II

The House that Jack Built

SPECIAL FEATURES

Over 12 hours of special features including interviews with Lars von Trier and cast, commentaries, behind-the-scenes, featurettes, casting tapes, extended and deleted scenes, and theatrical trailers.

3 collectible posters and 1 wide poster of the cover illustration by Daniele Castellano

68-page booklet including new essays by Slavoj Zizek, Catherine Wheatley, Steven Ryder and more.

2 Digipaks and hardcover slipcase in a canvas Curzon Collection slipcase

Illustration by Daniele Castellano

Design by Andrew Bannister

therewillbeblus

#2191 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:50 pm

This is really exciting, especially given that it includes Manderlay and also "bonus" films not noted here (I'm not a fan of The Orchid Gardener, but LvT's Medea is my favorite adaptation, and far better than Pasolini's in my mind - though I don't think this is a popular opinion) though I'm hesitant to get too excited given who's releasing it and the apparent botched-job of their recent Wenders set... will have to wait for reviews before unloading these discs