NoShame

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
MatthyewW

NoShame: Boccaccio '70 and Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow

#1 Post by MatthyewW » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:45 pm

NoShame Films, a company based in Italy, is releasing its first two Region 1 titles Boccaccio '70 and Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow in late April.

I know, these titles were previously announced for last year but it is for real this time. NoShame's arrangement with its first distributor fell through and they now have a deal with another company which is committed to the late April dates.

These will be be completely new widescreen 16x9 remasters from original materials. I've seen an early test version of the Boccaccio DVD and it is eye-poppingly gorgeous. It is also completely restored with added material to the Fellini episode and the Monicelli segment will be reinstated.

There will be extras on both DVDs but I don't know what. The official press releases should be soon.

NoShame will be coming out with a variety of other Italian titles including a couple of Giallo's in May which I will mention in another post.

kekid

Boccaccio '70 and Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow

#2 Post by kekid » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:34 pm

Could you please let us know which retailers/etailers will be carrying these DVDs? Thank you.

MatthyewW

#3 Post by MatthyewW » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:53 pm

Their official annoucements are supposed to be made in the next few weeks. At that time there will be more information as to where and when they will be available - but I expect they will be easy to find most anywhere.

Nihonophile

#4 Post by Nihonophile » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:51 pm

The release of Boccaccio '70 gives me hope that they will consider releasing La Streghe, another collection of shorts from Italy's most popular directors.

atcolomb

#5 Post by atcolomb » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:55 pm

I hope Boccaccio 70 gets a proper release on DVD. I bought a copy on eBay and it is the worst looking DVD I have! Washed out colors, full screen and a loud hiss on the soundtrack. There are other versions on DVD but have no English subtitles or are full screen.

MatthyewW

#6 Post by MatthyewW » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:15 pm

I can promise you that this DVD will be gorgeous (and matted properly) - I've seen the preliminary test version DVD5 which is not as good as the final product and it is better looking than any version of the film you have ever seen - even in a theater...

Because of the length, the movie will be split onto two DVDs to get the maximum picture quality. The break is a natural one - at the intermission between the 2nd and 3rd segments. The original release in Europe had 2 intermissions.

Dylan

#7 Post by Dylan » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:51 pm

After "Jules and Jim" and "L'Eclisse," Boccaccio 70 and "Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow" are absolutely my most eagerly awaited releases of the year. I look very forward to further information, as well as the future releases from this company.

Dylan

MatthyewW

#8 Post by MatthyewW » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:15 pm

On April 26th the Noshame Films DVDs of "Boccaccio 70" and "Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow" will be released. The DVDs should be available anywhere Ryko DVDs are distributed. (Amazon etc.)

The retail for the 2-DVD set of Boccaccio is $29.99 and for Yesterday, $19.99. But, we can all do better than that...

atcolomb

#9 Post by atcolomb » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:07 pm

Great News about Boccaccio '70 and Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow! I can now throw away the worst looking DVD I have!

swingo

#10 Post by swingo » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:25 pm

I'd hope to see Bruno Corbucci's "Boccaccio" released.

Axel.

Dylan

#11 Post by Dylan » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:54 pm

Matthyew,

Thank you very much for the release dates, I honestly can't wait to finally see these films, and April isn't far away at all (much sooner than I expected, actually). When will Noshame have a webpage?

Dylan

MatthyewW

#12 Post by MatthyewW » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:16 pm

Good question....I'll see what I can find out....

atcolomb

#13 Post by atcolomb » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:28 pm

You can now preorder both Boccaccio 70 and Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow at Amazon.Com at 30% off the regular price. Both will be released on April 26. :D

Gregory

#14 Post by Gregory » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:42 pm

Perhaps a moderator should move this thread into the Boutique Labels section.
I'm very excited to see what else this label will take on. I'm especially hoping for Elio Petri, Francesco Rosi, Roberto Rossellini, Vittorio De Sica.

LonHuber

#15 Post by LonHuber » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:12 am

The covers for Boccaccio '70 and Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow are up at dvdempire.com and probably elsewhere online as well. They look terrific, very much in the spirit of the films. I may just break my "no preordering" habit to get this shipped the moment they're released!

Lino

#16 Post by Lino » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:31 am

ImageImage

They look decent, at least.

Martha

#17 Post by Martha » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:46 am

NoShame
MatthyewW wrote:Michelangelo Antonioni's first dramatic feature film the noir "Story of a Love Affair" and Pietro Germi's drama "The Railroad Man" will be coming soon from Noshame Fillms in newly restored versions . They plan to release them in early summer 2005.
From DVD Review:
We just got word of a new DVD label being formed here in the US. Under the name NoShame Films this label has been formed by long-time DVD producer Joyce Shen, who has a long list of credits working on Anchor Bay and Blue Underground titles, and Italian filmmaker Michele DeAngelis. The company has been stated with the commitment to bring Italian cinema that made movie history to the U.S. home theater.

Some releases are/will be:
  • Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow (De Sica)
  • Sergio Martino Collection (starting with The Case of the Scorpion's Tail and The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh)
  • Your Vice is a Closed Room and Only I Have the Key, Gambling City (Martino)
  • Story of a Love Affair (Antonioni)
  • The Railroad Man (Germi)
  • Almost Human (Lenzi)
  • Boccaccio 70 (Monicelli, Fellini, Visconti, De Sica)
There are some specs up at GoreZone (you have to root around) and some discussion of specific titles here.
ellipsis7 wrote:CRONACA DI AMORE is an excellent film - classic Antonioni, with the famous continuous 360 degree pan and track on the bridge... What else has NoShame released?... I presume this will turn up on Amazon... Look forward to replacing my VHS with a 2 disc SE...

DrewReiber

#18 Post by DrewReiber » Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:52 pm

It would be interesting to see if they could get more Italian anthology features like The Witches. Does a major studio own this one or is it up for grabs?

Gordon

#19 Post by Gordon » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:13 pm

A double review of The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh and The Case of the Scorpions Tail is up at DVD Drive-In.

It's great to finally see these films available with excellent OAR transfers and their original Italian tracks. No Shame are off to a great start and I can't wait to see what else they going to release.

I have waited for a long time to see these. I'm sure that Your Vice is a Closed Room and Only I Have the Key will also be a winner.

solaris72

#20 Post by solaris72 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:25 pm

Martha wrote:[*]Almost Human (Lenzi)
From the director of Cannibal Ferox, Eaten Alive by Cannibals, and best of all Invasion de los Zombies Atomicos (not its original title or even its most famous title, but certainly my favorite of the many titles this film's known under). Never thought I'd see his name in a list of releases that also includes Antonioni, de Sica, Visconti and Fellini.
Last edited by solaris72 on Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dylan

#21 Post by Dylan » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:11 pm

Two very good positive reviews courtesy of DVDSavant: Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow and Boccaccio '70.

These were released today, and I can't wait to pick them up.

Dylan

atcolomb

#22 Post by atcolomb » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:07 am

I just received both Boccaccio 70 and Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow from Noshame Films and I was very happy! The image on both were sharp, bright and colorful with some good extras. Noshame Films have started on a good note and i hope they will release more like this in the future. I can now throw away my worst looking dvd which was Boccaccio 70 released by Cimenasirens in a horrible pan & scan worn out print!!

richast2

#23 Post by richast2 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:58 pm

hey atcolomb, was your old DVD of Boccaccio '70 the worst-looking DVD you had? just curious.

atcolomb

#24 Post by atcolomb » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:39 pm

Yes! I am a film buff and I have over 500 DVDs and the version of Boccaccio 70 that was made from a company named Cinemasirens is the worst! It reminded me of the films we saw in grade school! I sent a email to Cinemasirens and complained about the quality of the dvd, then sent me a email saying that the film was restored and that they used the best print around. Bullshit! I think eBay still has the DVD for sale which is were I bought it. I will still keep it as a reminder of companies that lie to you and to sell crap to the public!

kekid

#25 Post by kekid » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:30 pm

I saw the "Temptation of Dr Antonio" segment on the Boccaccio 70 DVD. All the hallmarks of Fellini are there, and the Noshame presentation is quite wonderful. However, as I was watching it, the following subversive thought occured to me. Wouldn't it be fascinating if with all the technology available today, someone were to replace Dr Anotnio's face with Mr Bush's! The surreal will then become frighteningly real.