Deaf Crocodile

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
TechnicolorAcid

Re: Vinegar Syndrome et al.

#201 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:08 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:22 pm
Oof I thought this was an extremely dull portmanteau exercise in 'cautionary tale' horror, where none of the segments felt interesting or went anywhere unexpected. The best was the second, purely because there are some impressively dizzying visual flourishes during the dancing crescendo at the end, but they all kind of end the same way, and aren't involving at all on the road to get there. It looks like there are some worthy supplements that should assist in appreciating the context, but I can't imagine doling out more time to this thing
I will agree that Prague Nights at first felt like the weakest Deaf Crocodile title I'd seen when I watched a couple months back. However, after a recent rewatch in the wider scope of Jiri Brdecka's filmography, it does make a tad more sense.
Going through his works has led me to realize Brdecka is a filmmaker who first and foremost is one obsessed with bringing fairytales to life, from his early animations all the way to his final screenplay for The Mysterious Castle in the Carpathians but Prague Nights definitely seems like an oddity in this sense. Where something like Lemonade Joe or The Cassandra Cat are light, comedic, and colorful, Prague Nights is dark, mostly serious, and painted with murky browns and blacks, with even the tinted sections feeling more removed of color than Lemonade Joe. Prague Nights also definitely seems to move at a slower pace than his other films and the general vibe is more reliant on atmosphere than anything else. But while Prague Nights lacks the zest of a typical Brdecka, it's still a tale befitting of Brdecka.
The main center of this idea comes at the framing device of modern Prague, of a businessman lusting after a gorgeous woman who'd rather tell stories than sleep with him, it's a dryly comedic little setup but what I want to bring is how it opens, Milos Kopecky (the businessman) leaving a business meeting before saying that he'll be busy with studying a contract before spending the night futilely trying to find someone to sleep with and here is where the Brdecka style comes into play, with him showing that key figures of authority are really no more than lustful sinners and through this setup we're given the general idea of what Brdecka wants to do, to demonstrate the goodness of old Prague and it's values through this anthology hook where the audience intimately develops a loathing for the modern businessman of the modern system of the picture and in turn, is more willing to be drawn into the more traditional stories of the film. Indeed this is the reason why Brdecka most likely chose to shot the modern setting in tinted Black and White while shooting the sequences set in the past, in color.
But onto the actual stories and the same idea of the initial framing device is kept the same, in each a powerful, lustful, and sadistic young person is ultimately put in their place by an older gentlemen or a person representing old ideas, before the surprise twist happens. Is it mundane and uninteresting for something that's supposed to be an anthology, yes indeed but here's the thing though, Brdecka isn't interested in a story but rather in the setting. IIRC, in the booklet, Brdecka's daughter mentions that Brdecka made this project out to be a sort of ad for Old Prague or something of that nature and it's clear that's what interested Brdecka, even the credits show this with shots of Prague architecture. But the main thing that interested Brdecka was mostly it's classic stories, which as mentioned were of huge interest to Brdecka, specifically it's folktales and, most likely, the feelings they evoked from him. Each story follows a simple folktale structure, figures like the Golem and the Devil himself appear, the twists could be mistaken for genuine folktale twists, and the final story is told like a typical folktale. The strength of Prague Nights ultimately is in it's ability give of the vibe of a folktale in it's atmosphere, it's silence, it's mood, and ultimately, it's stillness. And when it moves and bursts into true Brdeckan energy, it catches you off guard in the best way possible. At least that's why I like Prague Nights and it's ultimately a shame that it was a bit of a troubled production for Brdecka because I do wish he did more horror with this and his short, There Was a Miller on a River (featured on this disc), proving that he is capable of directing more serious films.

Finch

Re: Deaf Crocodile

#202 Post by Finch » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:41 pm

Imagine Andrei Tarkovsky circa SOLARIS directing Douglas Adams’ The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and you’ll come close to the existential weirdness of the wonderfully loopy Soviet-era sci-fi comedy KIN-DZA-DZA! Two average Muscovites – a plainspoken construction foreman (Stanislav Lyubshin) and a Georgian student carrying a violin case (Leo Gabriadze) – encounter an odd homeless man on the street who asks, “Tell me the number of your planet in the Tentura?” In a flash, they’re teleported across the universe to the planet Pluke in the Kin-Dza-Dza galaxy – a Tatooine-like desert world whose inhabitants are hilariously noncommunicative (their main words are “ku” for good and “kyu” for very bad) and where common wooden matches are tremendously valuable. A deadpan, absurdist mixture of Kurt Vonnegut, Monty Python, Samuel Beckett and Jodorowsky’s never-made Dune where alien cultures are even more haphazard and WTF? than our own, the film is also a savage satire of bureaucratic idiocy and dysfunction no matter what political system you’re living under – or what planet you’re living on. Recently restored by Mosfilm for its first-ever U.S. release by Deaf Crocodile and Seagull Films. In Russian with English subtitles.

directed by: Georgiy Daneliya
starring: Stanislav Lyubshin, Leo Gabriadze, Evgeniy Leonov, Yuriy Yakovlev
1986 / 132 min / 1.37:1 / Russian DTS-HD MA 2.0

Additional info:

Region A Blu-ray
New restoration from the original camera negative and sound elements by Mosfilm
New hour-long video interview with lead actor Leo Gabriadze about the making of KIN-DZA-DZA! and the contributions of his father, co-writer Rezo Gabriadze, moderated by Dennis Bartok of Deaf Crocodile
New video interview about KIN-DZA-DZA! and the rich history of Soviet science-fiction cinema with comics artist (Swamp Thing), film historian and author Stephen R. Bissette, moderated by Dennis Bartok
New commentary track by film critic Walter Chaw (Film Freak Central)
New written essay by film historian Justin Humphreys (George Pal: Man Of Tomorrow)
"Got a Match? On Vodka and Vinegar at the End of History"- New video essay by journalist and physical media expert Ryan Verrill (The Disc Connected) and film professor Dr. Will Dodson
Blu-ray authoring by David Mackenzie of Fidelity In Motion
New art by Lucas Peverill and Beth Morris
English subtitles

ryannichols7

#203 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:51 pm

maybe this has already been covered, but how on earth are they releasing a Mosfilm title in 2024??

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#204 Post by domino harvey » Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:55 pm

Deaf Crocodile wrote: Image

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#205 Post by swo17 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:00 pm

America likes treason now

TechnicolorAcid

#206 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:38 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:51 pm
maybe this has already been covered, but how on earth are they releasing a Mosfilm title in 2024??
They secured the deal before the war and I imagine that because Boutique releases take a long while and that they’re only able to release 1 title a month, that’s probably why they’re releasing some of their Mosfilm film titles now.

MichaelB

Deaf Crocodile

#207 Post by MichaelB » Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:45 pm

They’ve made it clear that all their Mosfilm titles were licensed prior to the Ukraine invasion - I assume in one big batch.

Right now, I’m working my way through some 65 Sony titles in Indicator’s latest batch, the first of which (the Whistlers, The Whole Truth) are coming out in May and June, but I suspect it’ll be well into 2026 or even 2027 before we’ve released them all.

colinr0380

#208 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:02 am

In what I would like to hope is in response to this news, the Planet ASE channel has put back up its wonderful Kin-Dza-Dza-related video. Sadly the creator of the music playing over the footage, Florida Skyline (aka Sophia Nesterova) passed away in 2019, at only 17 years old.

What A Disgrace

#209 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:15 pm

They are making a very big announcement tomorrow, their largest yet.

beamish14

#210 Post by beamish14 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:39 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:15 pm

Calling it now: The Complete Works of Jon Jost

TechnicolorAcid

#211 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:18 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:28 pm
Can't wait for that big boxed set of every movie I ever wanted to see but didn't know existed.
My bet is that it’s just this.

Commander Shears

#212 Post by Commander Shears » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:07 am

Are we thinking that they're leaving OCN? It seems like they've grown rather quickly.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#213 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:47 am

beamish14 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:39 pm
What A Disgrace wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:15 pm

Calling it now: The Complete Works of Jon Jost
Don’t even joke! It’s getting my hopes up already. We’ll never get that! ](*,)

furbicide

#214 Post by furbicide » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:09 am

Give me Lopushanskiy or give me death!

(A Muratova set would also be acceptable)

Peacock

#215 Post by Peacock » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:59 am

It can only be Dovzhenko’s Shors

Finch

#216 Post by Finch » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:31 pm

New Partnership!
New Deluxe Editions!
New subscription service!

We will be working exclusively with DiabolikDVD, the largest independent online distributor of specialized home video releases, starting in July as our distributor for Deluxe Slipcase Edition Blu-rays and other special home video releases.

So what are these new Deluxe Editions? Each will come enclosed in a rigid slipcase featuring newly commissioned artwork. They’ll also include a separate 60-page perfect bound book full of essays, photos and artwork. All releases will also be offered in a standard edition which will not included the slipcase or 60-page book.

We’re also offering for the first time a subscription service also starting in July that guarantees subscribers our new Deluxe Edition Blu-ray releases shipped early and with other perks.

DiabolikDVD has been offering a one stop shopping experience for over 20 years providing customers with boutique titles from all corners of the globe. As a strictly independent, owner-operated business Diabolik is able to give customers a well curated and personal experience with a keen eye to the needs of the collector and casual customer alike. From the weird to the wild, Diabolik is the trusted choice among film fans looking for films that they have always wanted and the ones they never realized they needed to have.

Previous to working with DiabolikDVD, Deaf Crocodile had been a partner label at OCN/ Vinegar Syndrome since Deaf Croc’s launch in 2021.

“I’ve been a huge fan and customer of Jesse Nelson and DiabolikDVD for many years now so it’s wonderful to be collaborating with him starting in July,” says Deaf Crocodile co-founder and head of acquisitions & distribution Dennis Bartok. “I’m a physical media collector myself, and Craig and I are thrilled to be working with the best in the business in terms of carrying rare and wonderful film treasures, not only from the U.S. but from all over the world. His commitment to supporting physical media and especially the work of often-neglected and overlooked filmmakers really aligns with our passions at Deaf Crocodile.”

“We’re super excited to be partnering with Jesse. DiabolikDVD has been fans’ go-to online shop for wonderful and hard-to-find cinema for decades. This new partnership will allow Deaf Crocodile to explore ideas that have been percolating in our minds for some time now. The new expanded Deluxe Editions will be absolutely gorgeous and allow for more in-depth essays from some of the best folks working in the field today - and they’ll look great on your shelf!,” comments Craig Rogers, Deaf Crocodile’s co-founder and head of post-production and restoration.

"I am thrilled to be able to offer Deaf Crocodile titles exclusively as part of our extensive cult movie catalog," says Diabolik owner Jesse Nelson. "While we certainly have made our name on selling horror titles, we have also curated a selection of lesser known world cinema over the years and as a film fan, Deaf Crocodile's films align perfectly with the store and my personal taste. This will be a long and fruitful relationship and allow customers to be able to continue expanding their Deaf Crocodile collection from a trusted independent retailer."

Deluxe Edition artwork by David Mack.
Standard Edition packaging designed by Beth Morris.

THE SAVAGE HUNT OF KING STAKH (DIKAYA OKHOTA KOROLYA STAKHA), 1980, Belarusfilm, 126 min. Dir. Valeri Rubinchik. “We have more ghosts than live people,” murmurs the pale, haunted mistress of the mansion of Marsh Firs (Elena Dimitrova) to a scholar of ancient folklore (Boris Plotnikov) who has arrived at her castle to research the bloody legend of King Stakh, a murdered 15th century nobleman whose spirit supposedly thunders through the local woodlands. (The Wild Hunt is a fixture of northern European folklore in which a sinister figure leads a chase followed by ghostly companions.) Part folk horror, part supernatural mystery, KING STAKH is a melancholy, chilling mixture of Terry Gilliam, Italian Gothic Horror, 1960s Hammer Films and THE WICKER MAN – and a major rediscovery for genre fans. The longer the young scholar stays in this mysterious house of “shadow, gloom, madness and death,” the more strange and surreal the imagery becomes: a mad widow in a white wig; a man bleeding spontaneously from his skull; a dwarf hiding in a decayed doll’s house; screeching ravens and maniacal puppet shows. Based on the novel by Belarusian writer Uladzimir Karatkievich, the long-unavailable KING STAKH has recently been restored in its extended 126 min. Director’s Cut by Deaf Crocodile for its first-ever U.S. release, co-presented with Seagull Films. (In Russian with English subtitles.)

Bonus Features

Brand-new restoration of the Director’s Cut of the film by Craig Rogers for Deaf Crocodile.
Slipcase featuring new artwork by David Mack - deluxe edition only
New essay by film historian and professor Peter Rollberg (Historical Dictionary of Russian and Soviet Cinema) - deluxe edition only
New essay by film critic Walter Chaw (Film Freak Central) - deluxe edition only
New commentary track by comics artist (Swamp Thing), film historian, and author Stephen R. Bissette.
New commentary track by Mike White of The Projection Booth Podcast.
”The Wild, Wild Hunt of King Stakh” - new video essay by film historian Evan Chester.
Video introduction by filmmaker and author Kier-La Janisse (WOODLANDS DARK AND DAYS BEWITCHED: A HISTORY OF FOLK HORROR).
Blu-ray authoring by David Mackenzie of Fidelity In Motion.
Graphic Design by Beth Morris

Pre-sale begins July 1st

Enrollment period: June 1st - 30th

Begins with release of THE SAVAGE HUNT OF KING STAKH.

6 month subscription (July '24 - December '24) $230 (includes all shipping charges)
12 month subscription (July '24 - June '25) $500 (includes all shipping charges)

Subscription includes:

Guaranteed copy of the next 6 (or 12) Deluxe Edition Releases
Early Delivery: Subscriber orders ship early along with press copies! Be the envy of all your friends!
Each subscriber will receive a freshly minted Deaf Crocodile Subscriber coin!
Every shipment will include a random movie trading card!
All shipping Included! Pay once then sit back and enjoy a wonderful new film every month!*
Plus everything else you've come to expect from a Deaf Crocodile release!

* there may be months with more than one release. In those cases subscribers will receive a discount coupon code that can be applied toward the additional movie!

What’s planned?

A BOX SET INCLUDING THE ENTIRETY OF A YOUNG FILMMAKERS FILMOGRAPHY!
FOLK HORROR, ANIMATION, FANTASY, CRIME/MYSTERY, SILENT FILMS!
OUR FIRST 4K/HDR RELEASE!
FILMS FROM BELARUS, IRELAND, RUSSIA, GERMANY, ROMANIA, THE CZECH REPUBLIC, FRANCE, INDIA, THE US, and MORE!
FILMS RANGING FROM 1926 - 2023!

Starting June 1st, you can sign up at
www.diabolikdvd.com

TechnicolorAcid

#217 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:39 pm

Oh my god.

therewillbeblus

#218 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:41 pm

I'm interested, but that's an expensive membership plan for the amount of titles produced

The title itself sounds awesome

Finch

#219 Post by Finch » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:41 pm

More excited about the official announcement of King Stakh and what they've teased for the rest of the year than the exclusivity to DiabolikDVD (or any other retailer for that matter). Also disappointed that they're doing away with the books for the standard editions. Ah well.

PS.: They did say there may be multiple releases on some months.

MichaelB

#220 Post by MichaelB » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:42 pm

I’m slightly puzzled by the subscription rates - why would anyone take out a year’s sub when it’s $40 cheaper to buy two six-month ones?

therewillbeblus

#221 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:45 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:42 pm
I’m slightly puzzled by the subscription rates - why would anyone take out a year’s sub when it’s $40 cheaper to buy two six-month ones?
I don't think that's an option, to re-up on a membership plan for the new year. Maybe they have box sets/multiple releases planned for the early months in the first half of next year, and that's why?

What A Disgrace

#222 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:47 pm

Bruh.

TechnicolorAcid

#223 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:48 pm

Finch wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:41 pm
More excited about the official announcement of King Stakh and what they've teased for the rest of the year than the exclusivity to DiabolikDVD (or any other retailer for that matter). Also disappointed that they're doing away with the books for the standard editions. Ah well.
I’m pretty sure it’s not limited otherwise they would had mentioned it so that’s good that the booklets won’t be limited by the looks of it and the Savage Hunt of King Stakh seems really interesting.
Last edited by TechnicolorAcid on Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Finch

#224 Post by Finch » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:03 pm

The books are limited to the deluxe releases. It literally says in their newsletter: All releases will also be offered in a standard edition which will not included the slipcase or 60-page book. And in the rundown of the extras:

New essay by film historian and professor Peter Rollberg (Historical Dictionary of Russian and Soviet Cinema) - deluxe edition only
New essay by film critic Walter Chaw (Film Freak Central) - deluxe edition only

TechnicolorAcid

#225 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:09 pm

No I meant like the deluxe editions don’t appear to be limited to a certain amount, apologies should’ve said it more clearer.
Edit: Got official confirmation that it’s not limited.
Deaf Crocodile YouTube comment wrote: Not planning on them being LE. Whether we reprint something will depend on a number of factors though.
Last edited by TechnicolorAcid on Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:55 am, edited 3 times in total.