The 2018 Criterion Forum BAFTAS

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: The 2018 Criterion Forum BAFTAS

#51 Post by swo17 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:15 am

Thanks, zedz!

I wonder if these awards would benefit from preferential voting, given the difficulty of achieving a consensus for some categories. For instance, out of the titles that received votes, I would vote for The Colour of Pomegranates for Best Cover.

zedz

#52 Post by zedz » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:37 pm

We could try that next time, but some of the categories were so under-nominated that it would be a bit artificial (e.g. only two commentaries, and I’m guessing a lot of us don’t have access to colinr’s choice!)

colinr0380

#53 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:37 pm

It is great to see so much represented in the voting, and want to particularly thank rapta for highlighting the disc of The Boston Strangler, which reminded me to put on my 'to buy' list!

On the Jorg Buttgereit commentary, I often find that some of these more extreme films, especially when they tend to the abstract, really benefit from a commentary track playing over them to 'ground' them in reality somewhat, and distract a little from the onscreen imagery! (Though I can see that being its own argument for not listening to the commentary!)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#54 Post by domino harvey » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:07 am

Thanks for the thankless work on compiling! With such a large selection available, it may be helpful to have a nominating step next year, as like others there were certainly second or third place votes I'd have gladly cast if I knew my first place vote was going nowhere

MichaelB

#55 Post by MichaelB » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:22 am

colinr0380 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:37 pm
On the Jorg Buttgereit commentary, I often find that some of these more extreme films, especially when they tend to the abstract, really benefit from a commentary track playing over them to 'ground' them in reality somewhat, and distract a little from the onscreen imagery! (Though I can see that being its own argument for not listening to the commentary!)
Guy Maddin's commentary for Tales from the Gimli Hospital is a rare instance where I'd recommend watching the film first with the commentary and then without, for what sounds like similar reasons.