Raro Video

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
TMDaines

Re: Raro Video

#226 Post by TMDaines » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:36 am

TMDaines wrote:I think it's quite clear they're in trouble. Their release schedule has dropped off a cliff and they've become close to impossible to get hold off.

They've finally responded to one of my Facebook posts with the intention of sending me a replacement for Avere vent'anni, but haven't given me a further response since I gave them my address.
As a follow up to this, they've now deleted all my comments and blocked me from commenting on their Facebook page after I was trying to get an update on whether they sent my replacement or not. They haven't responded to e-mails for months. Lovely company: lead me on for six months (twelve for a damaged order) and then just silence me anyway. Not once have I been rude to them.

I hope Saimo got paid but I doubt it somehow.

Kauno

#227 Post by Kauno » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:00 am

Kauno wrote:The Fernando Di Leo Crime Collection Vol. 2 February 15
Importcds hasn't cancelled my order, but I don't have very high hopes of getting this any time soon if ever.

Adam X

#228 Post by Adam X » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:02 am

The Digital Bits, 7th March wrote:Finally, their Raro Video USA brand will release Fernando Di leo’s Shoot First Die Later: Remastered Edition on Blu-ray and DVD on 5/28
Well, this would appear to answer the question about Raro's delay's, and maybe their silence too, as they've clearly been in the middle of working out a deal with Kino, if this is anything to go by. Amazon has this same release date for Shoot First Die Later, as does Raro USA's website. The second Di Leo box set now has a June release listed on their site - not sure why you'd release one title from a box set one month earlier?!
I guess time will tell.

ianungstad

#229 Post by ianungstad » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:55 am

Raro just discontinued all of their in print titles this week. I assume by that link to the digital bits that Raro has decided to outsource all of their dvd/blu's to Kino. I wonder if Kino will reissue all the Raro titles that just went out of print? Sad to see yet another small label on the verge of going out of business.

Adam X

#230 Post by Adam X » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:08 am

Yes, and that would make it only two years doing their own thing in the US. It'd be nice if Raro weren't being so quiet, and actually put out some info as to what's going on - or Kino perhaps?
When small label's have gone out of business over the last 10 years, it's been unfortunately common for a number of them to just slowly disappear into an information black hole. I'm personally not wanting all the behind-the-scenes dirt, but it sometimes feels as if a "so long, it's been fun while it lasted" would be nice.
Hey, who knows, maybe this apparent partnership with Kino will move things up a gear! Kino've certainly been churning out the genre releases lately.

captveg

#231 Post by captveg » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:55 pm

Makes sense that Kino would increase their genre catalog holdings since they lost a lot of their classics to Cohen.

chatterjees

#232 Post by chatterjees » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:41 pm

Here is a recent update on Raro's whereabouts regarding upcoming BD and DVD releases (got a reply to queries from my friend Rich and I on their FB page)...
Apart from what's scheduled to come out (hopefully, thanks to Kino) other titles include -
These are our upcoming Blu-ray releases:
“HANGING FOR DJANGO” directed by Sergio Garrone
“MANY WARS AGO” directed by Francesco Rosi
“IL GENERALE DELLA ROVERE(uncut version) directed by Roberto rossellini
“THE VANQUISHED “ directed by Michelangelo Antonioni
“A Girl... and a Million” (La Cuccagna) directed by Luciano Salce music by Ennio Morricone
"Hi Suman, these Blu-rays are all 2013 releases. There will be more BR releases this year which we will announce shortly.
IL GENERALE DELLA ROVERE” BR will contain the original uncut version and the edited theatrical version."...Raro.

This is one company, I have my money ready in my hand, but can't buy anything, because their releases are just getting postponed again and again!!! Hopefully, this will be their most fruitful year! [-o<

chatterjees

#233 Post by chatterjees » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:45 pm

Future releases:
“A Girl... and a Million” (La Cuccagna) directed by Luciano Salce music by Ennio Morricone.
A rare hard to find Italian underrated classic to rediscover.
A clip fromt the original Italian version.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY8WXRETOpY

Spaghetti western rare classic to rediscover:
“Hanging for Django”(Una Lunga Fila di Croci) directed by Sergio Garrone
Release date July 2013
Original not restored Italian Theatrical trailer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULbjPlqvkU

chatterjees

#234 Post by chatterjees » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:48 pm

Saimo

#235 Post by Saimo » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:21 am

Spaghetti western rare classic to rediscover:
“Hanging for Django”(Una Lunga Fila di Croci) directed by Sergio Garrone
Pretty dull film...

L.A.

#236 Post by L.A. » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:35 am

Would love to see Enzo G. Castellari's Johnny Hamlet (1968) on Blu.

dwk

#237 Post by dwk » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:12 am

Raro posted on facebook that they are going to release Nightmare City on Blu-ray.
Future releases: "NIGHTMARE CITY" directed by Umberto Lenzi.
New HD transfer and digitally restored.DVD & BR.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYWD5vPf8xA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We are now working on the new HD transfer from original 35mm negative print and the production of new special features. Soon we will post he release date.....

feihong

#238 Post by feihong » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:59 am

L.A. wrote:Would love to see Enzo G. Castellari's Johnny Hamlet (1968) on Blu.

Yes please! Cool movie.

I also love "The Fury of Johnny Kidd," but no one's releasing that on blu-ray any time soon, I bet.

djvaso

#239 Post by djvaso » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:26 pm

Another piece of news:
Future releases: Italian Crime Classics “GANG WAR IN MILAN”(Milano Rovente)directed by Umberto Lenzi
New HD transfer – digitally restored -DVD &BR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmP6amZiOX8
:)

Zaki

#240 Post by Zaki » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:31 pm

Given all these announcements, is it safe to assume that despite the recent information in this thread (above) Raro is not in trouble? I really hope they are not, as I love many of the stuff they put out (Lattuada, Pietrangeli, Visconti, etc.) I also see that many of their DVDs are "Temporarily out of stock" on amazon.

dwk

#241 Post by dwk » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:51 pm

Raro recently changed distributors, the titles being out of stock is a result of that switch.

dwk

#242 Post by dwk » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:17 pm

Raro tweeted the following:
Rarovideo has just acquired Bernard Bertolucci's, The Conformist for distribution in North America.

Jeff

#243 Post by Jeff » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:33 pm

dwk wrote:Raro tweeted the following:
Rarovideo has just acquired Bernard Bertolucci's, The Conformist for distribution in North America.
That's...weird. I wonder if this is one of those situations, like La Dolce Vita and IMF, where Raro bought it from someone who said, "Yeah, I've totally got the rights to The Conformist." and Paramount's going to say, "Like hell you do."

I can imagine Paramount letting the rights lapse, but I sure can't imagine Raro outbidding Criterion for them.

bainbridgezu

#244 Post by bainbridgezu » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:13 pm

Did anyone ever figure out how Raro ended up releasing Rossellini's Il Generale della Rovere with Criterion's own edition still in-print?

cinemartin

#245 Post by cinemartin » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:47 pm

Raro's preceded Criterion's by awhile.

Ashirg

#246 Post by Ashirg » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:00 pm

Criterion licensed it from Minerva Pictures which is part of Minerva Rarovideo Group.

captveg

#247 Post by captveg » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:07 pm

Jeff wrote:I can imagine Paramount letting the rights lapse, but I sure can't imagine Raro outbidding Criterion for them.
Probably what happened, though. Hope it's a good release!

Saimo

#248 Post by Saimo » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:59 am

Jeff wrote:
That's...weird. I wonder if this is one of those situations, like La Dolce Vita and IMF, where Raro bought it from someone who said, "Yeah, I've totally got the rights to The Conformist." and Paramount's going to say, "Like hell you do."
Raro is notorious for things like that. Suffice it to say that Bertolucci himself couldn't figure how exactly Raro acquired The Conformist rights...

chatterjees

#249 Post by chatterjees » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:15 pm

I just received my copy of Il Generale Della Rovere and would love to post some packaging pics. Unfortunately, I don't know how to post pics here ](*,)
I haven't got time to watch the versions of the film, but already checked the extra features and they are excellent. The film footage used in the visual essays looks stunning, so I am hoping the actual films will look great too. I waited so long for this release, especially as I got rid of the CC DVD long time ago in anticipation of an upgrade.
The street date is in January, but it is in stock now. If you want, you can order it directly from them.

Kauno

#250 Post by Kauno » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:44 am

The new release date is now set for December 3, 2013.