American Genre Film Archive (AGFA)

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: American Genre Film Archive (AGFA)

#51 Post by tenia » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:45 pm

My guess is they're providing BD format for theatrical screenings of these movies, along with a DCP possibility.
I'd rather question how you can book movies that show no format at all !

Boosmahn

#52 Post by Boosmahn » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:18 pm

AGFA and Something Weird have detailed their upcoming release of Satanis: The Devil's Mass and Satan's Children.

Description:
Press release wrote:Satanis: The Devil's Mass is the unseen and unbelievable exposé on Anton LaVey, America's favorite leader of the Church of Satan. Feeling like a bedtime story as told by Kenneth Anger and Russ Meyer, this is a wild glimpse into the witches, black masses, and sex lives that built San Francisco's most infamous cult. From LaVey's daughter ("I think they're nuts!") to a nude woman who performs a satanic rite with a Boa constrictor, you'll meet numerous proto-goths, midnight maniacs, and daytime Draculas -- and even a pet tiger named Togare! In the words of LaVey, "There is a beast in man that should be exercised, not exorcised!"

Made by one-and-done filmmakers in the gutters of Tampa, Satan's Children is an Afterschool Special from depths of hell... literally. Bobby is a troubled teen with problems. After deflecting his father's insults and his stepsister's come-ons, Bobby unknowingly ends up at a gay bar. Before long, he's sexually assaulted by four guys in the back seat of a car. With nowhere else to turn, Bobby joins a cult of Satanists to enact his murderous revenge. A truly deranged gut-punch, this is a gritty and baffling "experience" that could have only happened in Florida.
Special features:
Press release wrote:- 2K preservation of Satanis from a 16mm theatrical print!
- 2K preservation of Satan's Children from a 35mm theatrical print!
- Sizzling shorts from Beelzebub's vault!
- Torrid trailers from Lucifer's archive!
- Reversible cover art!
The tentative release date is July 16th.

Boosmahn

#53 Post by Boosmahn » Tue May 07, 2019 8:49 pm

Not sure when this happened, but Glen or Glenda has been given a new scan by AGFA and Something Weird. We could see this hit the home video market as early as this year.

Slaphappy

#54 Post by Slaphappy » Sat May 11, 2019 4:27 am

solaris72 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:39 pm
Who Killed Captain Alex? is a masterpiece of the 'outsider action movie' genre, perfect for AGFA.
Absolutely. For me it was TOP-5 psychotronic experiences of this decade. Far beyond late 80's/early 90's movies like Deadly Prey, Hard Ticket to Hawaii or Samurai Cop that get hyped up these days. I saw Who Killed Captain Alex? as closing movie of an all-night mystery movie festival and I had not heard of it before, so there was a huge surprise element and receptive, delirious atmosphere, but for me the freshness and energy levels were almost like seeing Tetsuo for the first time.
Last edited by Slaphappy on Sat May 11, 2019 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slaphappy

#55 Post by Slaphappy » Sat May 11, 2019 4:43 am

Satanis was disappointing back in the day when DVD came out, but Satan's Children used to be one of my favorites of the SWV catalog. No boobs or funny monster outfits. All the exploitation elements were in the events that unfolded. Weirdly vague, chilling and unsettling movie. Curiously similar to Suffer Little Children production-wise now that I think of it. In both cases it seems that someone with no experience in directing or producing movies had just decided to do a satanist scare romp with a bunch of kids in their early teens.
Last edited by Slaphappy on Sun May 12, 2019 4:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Orlac

#56 Post by Orlac » Sat May 11, 2019 5:37 am

Boosmahn wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:49 pm
Not sure when this happened, but Glen or Glenda has been given a new scan by AGFA and Something Weird. We could see this hit the home video market as early as this year.
Let's hope Wade Williams doesn't get in the way!

tarpilot

#57 Post by tarpilot » Sun May 12, 2019 8:59 pm

Slaphappy wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:27 am
solaris72 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:39 pm
Who Killed Captain Alex? is a masterpiece of the 'outsider action movie' genre, perfect for AGFA.
Absolutely. For me it was TOP-5 psychotronic experiences of this decade. Far beyond late 80's/early 90's movies like Deadly Prey, Hard Ticket to Hawaii or Samurai Cop that get hyped up these days. I saw Who Killed Captain Alex? as closing movie of an all-night mystery movie festival and I had not heard of it before, so there was a huge surprise element and receptive, delirious atmosphere, but for me the freshness and energy levels were almost like seeing Tetsuo for the first time.
A friend and I went for a few laps around the flea market after breakfast today and I found this (on the bottom shelf in the last booth at the very back):

Yep, that is genuine Wakaliwood-branded packing cardboard. May Commando Jesus smileth on all of you as He hath smilethed on me
Last edited by tarpilot on Mon May 13, 2019 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boosmahn

#58 Post by Boosmahn » Mon May 13, 2019 8:43 am

AGFA and Something Weird have detailed their upcoming release of Mary Jane's Not a Virgin Anymore and I Was a Teenage Serial Killer (titled "The Films of Sarah Jacobson").

Description:
Press release wrote:Sarah Jacobson's punk-spirited DIY films from the 1990s combine B-movie aesthetics and riot grrrl feminism, standing as a testament to the vision, determination, and raw talent of the Queen of Underground Cinema. Mary Jane's Not a Virgin Anymore, Jacobson's only feature film, is a vibrant and vital antidote to every phony Hollywood teen picture, bringing lo-fi realness to the coming-of-age genre.

The 27-minute short, I Was a Teenage Serial Killer, is Slacker meets Valerie Solanas, as a 19-year-old woman responds to catcalls, condescension, and bad sex the only way she knows how: murder. Taking on every major function from production through distribution, Sarah Jacobson proved herself as a shitkicker and rulebreaker, finding fans in filmmakers Allison Anders (Gas Food Lodging) and Tamra Davis (Crossroads), as well as Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth.
Special features:
Press release wrote:- Brand new 2K preservations from the only 16mm film elements in existence!
- Rare shorts and music videos by Sarah Jacobson!
- Liner notes by Alicia Coombs of AGFA and Annie Choi of Bleeding Skull!
The tentative release date is September 17th.

Slaphappy

#59 Post by Slaphappy » Mon May 13, 2019 10:47 am

tarpilot wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:59 pm
Yep, that is genuine Wakaliwood-branded packing cardboard. May Commando Jesus smileth on all of you as He hast smilethed on me
That's cool looking edition! I wonder if the Agfa edition will have the original soundtrack, that has some music that could be expensive to get rights for.

As I checked out Nabwana I.G.G.'s filmography Saturday I noticed that I actually already own one of his later movies Rescue Team, so Commando Jesus had blessed me without me even realizing that before. [-o<

Boosmahn

#60 Post by Boosmahn » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:02 pm

AGFA has detailed their upcoming Blu-ray/DVD release of Scary Movie (no, not that Scary Movie).

Description:
Press release wrote:Never legitimately distributed until this very moment, Scary Movie is a joyous horror triumph starring Academy Award nominee John Hawkes. On Halloween night, big-time nerd Warren (Hawkes, channeling a mix of Buster Keaton and Crispin Glover) attends a spookhouse in a small Texas town. But is the haunted house as harmless as it seems, or has a psychotic mental patient found a new stomping ground? Shot in Austin, Texas, Scary Movie combines Argento-esque neon, Freddy Krueger dreamscapes, and slapstick inspired by Evil Dead 2 to forge a valentine to Halloween, rubber monster masks, and chopped-off limbs. From the songs by Roky Erickson and Butthole Surfers to the surrealistic mood, this is a true discovery for adventurous horror-heads.
Special features:
Press release wrote:- 2K preservation from the original 16mm camera negative!
- Commentary with director Daniel Erickson and Joseph A. Ziemba of AGFA!
- Mr. Pumpkin and Little Hero short films by Daniel Erickson!
- Original theatrical teaser trailer!
- Behind-the-scenes photo gallery!
- Reversible cover art with illustration by Charles Forsman!
The tentative release date is October 15th.

Slaphappy

#61 Post by Slaphappy » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:36 am

Who Killed Captain Alex was still pretty damn inspired zero budget film making though to quite as intense as I remembered. Great low-fi action boosted by crazy VJ-commentary.

Boosmahn

#62 Post by Boosmahn » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:20 pm

AGFA and Bleeding Skull! have detailed their upcoming Blu-ray/DVD release of Wicked World. This marks their first Blu-ray collaboration (and fourth overall).

Description:
Press release wrote:In 1989, filmmaker Barry J. Gillis and friends renewed the world's faith in Canada with the horror brainbomb known as Things. But that was only the beginning. Virtually unseen until now, Wicked World is not only Gillis' 1991 follow-up to Things -- it's also a new form of genre anarchy. Grant Ekland (Gillis) is a cop who is haunted by the death of his girlfriend at the hands of a psychotic slasher named Harold. When Harold is released from an asylum, there's only one option for Ekland: revenge! Filled with metal riffage, gnarly ultra-violence, and experimental techniques, Wicked World feels like what would happen if Salvador Dali injected acid directly into his brain while staring at a Cannibal Corpse LP cover. This is a highly personal treatise on the toxicity of society from one of the most singular filmmakers in trash-horror history. If you survive Wicked World, you'll never forget it.

Please note that Wicked World was shot on 16mm film and edited on tape. This transfer is taken from the original 3/4" master tapes.
Special features:
Press release wrote:- New transfer from the original 3/4” master tapes!
- Commentary with director Barry J. Gillis!
- Reality: Behind the Scenes of Wicked World documentary!
- Marshall Law music video by Barry J. Gillis!
- Reversible cover art and more!
The tentative release date is November 12th.

colinr0380

#63 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:39 pm

Here's the Red Letter Media Best of the Worst episode dedicated to the new AGFA release of Wicked World. From that video it looks as if it is working in the same territory as a (sillier!) contemporary of Der Todesking! Warning that the film contains improper usage of both plastic bags and stock sound effects!

ianthemovie

#64 Post by ianthemovie » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:36 pm

Has anyone seen Ed Wood's Take It Out In Trade? How does it compare to Wood's other movies or to something like Multiple Maniacs (referenced on the back cover of the Blu-ray)?

Boosmahn

#65 Post by Boosmahn » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:00 pm

Feego

#66 Post by Feego » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:02 pm

Boosmahn wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:00 pm
AGFA, in collaboration with Bleeding Skull!, is set to release The McPherson Tape (aka U.F.O. Abduction) on Blu-ray come April 28.
My gullible, 13-year-old self was scared shitless when I saw the remake of this film, Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County, on TV in the late 90s. Filmed like a standard tabloid documentary with real "UFO experts" (who apparently didn't realize they were being interviewed for a fictional program), it was convincing enough for me and several classmates to have a panic-stricken conversation the next day at school. Too bad it's not being included as a bonus.

Boosmahn

#67 Post by Boosmahn » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:31 pm

Feego wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:02 pm
My gullible, 13-year-old self was scared shitless when I saw the remake of this film ... Too bad it's not being included as a bonus.
The 2017 director's cut is included, though, but I can't find anything about it online.

agnamaracs

#68 Post by agnamaracs » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:22 pm

Wow, nobody's found anything interesting to post here since March?! I'll bring you up to speed...

First of all, AGFA is now distributed by Vinegar Syndrome sub-company OCN Distribution.

Announced during their Midway to Black Friday Sale (but teased beforehand) was Scare Film Archives Vol 1: Drug Stories, a collection of educational films from the Something Weird library. It includes "The Trip Back" (which inspired Strangers with Candy).

In between sales we got Tina Krause's Limbo (1999), a Blu-Ray reissue of Sometimes Aunt Martha Does Dreadful Things (now with bonus film The Drag Queen's Ball), the shot-on-video horror anthology Scary Tales, and the Something Weird classics She Mob/The Girl from Pussycat.

Exclusive to the VinSyn Black Friday sale was Smut Without Smut, which is exactly what it sounds like, featuring "Things to Come" and "Dirty Dolls."

The next titles will be the SW classic The Curious Dr. Humpp and their recent theatrical program, The AGFA Horror Trailer Show.

smokes

#69 Post by smokes » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:41 am

Boosmahn wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:00 pm
AGFA, in collaboration with Bleeding Skull!, is set to release The McPherson Tape (aka U.F.O. Abduction) on Blu-ray come April 28.
i had heard of this "tape" when i was young but never watched it as everyone seemed to chalk it up to the same grainy "fake" footage that appeared sans x-files. so i purchased this with the hope that i would at least be mildly entertaining.

well, let me tell you. this is basically a fake vhs home video of a family at home. the entire film is that until they hear "something" fall on their roof, then spend about 20 minutes trying to decide where to hide before 4 guys who got kicked out of a hallowe'en costume party stroll in and turn off the camera. yup that's the idea of this "film".

the 'scare film archive tapes' is more my speed but i'm glad AGFA is doing these are something weird has archives of "lost" exploitation that deserves some better treatment. i wouldn't have had a problem if they kept the mcpherson tape locked away though but that's just me.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#70 Post by domino harvey » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:02 pm

The story of its production and revival is pretty interesting, but nothing about it made it sound like something I’d need to see to get any additional enjoyment out of the real life journey

smokes

#71 Post by smokes » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:49 pm

thanks. just read that.

i really wish i had watched this a long time as i would have likely had a different appreciation for it. it's one of those movies i desperately want to enjoy, but immediately i see even 1 frame i wonder why i bothered.

L.A.

#72 Post by L.A. » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:30 pm

The Fanciful Norwegian

#73 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:56 pm

Caught the 4K restoration of Terminal USA (distributed by AGFA) at Fantastic Fest and it was announced during the intro that they'll release a box set of Moritsugu's complete filmography in 2023.

Glowingwabbit

#74 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:44 am

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:56 pm
Caught the 4K restoration of Terminal USA (distributed by AGFA) at Fantastic Fest and it was announced during the intro that they'll release a box set of Moritsugu's complete filmography in 2023.
I've never heard of him. Is Terminal USA a good starting point?

beamish14

#75 Post by beamish14 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:42 am

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:56 pm

That’s wonderful. I’ve been on the fence about buying DVD’s of his work from the web store he operates

Re: Terminal U.S.A.. I’d say it’s probably his most accessible film. Maybe not the most representative of his incredibly transgressive style, but it’s very fun and a good starting point. If you like Alex Cox or Todd Haynes’ early work, he might be for you