Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Kino Insider

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2151 Post by Kino Insider » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:04 pm

swo17 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:36 pm
Kino Insider wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:24 pm
domino harvey wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:36 pm
These are all the same versions on the UK StudioCanal discs, Kino hasn’t done any restoration
True, most of the 2K/4K masters we received from StudioCanal were done earlier and some have been released in other territories. But the Link transfer and most of the titles coming out In October are brand new transfers
Might not want to be bragging about that Link release
We're very happy with it and it was done by StudioCanal.

FrauBlucher

Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2152 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:43 pm

Blutarsky wrote: I am a Criterion addict, been so for 7 years. But with Kino snatching the OOP titles, I have 0 problem. The restoration work on Alphaville, Bob Le Flambeur, Leon Morin, Priest, and especially Le Doulos, I have no qualms if they had the entire StudioCanal library. BRING ON THE GABIN!!!
Mr Insider, I was specifically referring to this post about your releases of the SC films. I wasn’t referring to the other labels you have deals with. It sounded like Blutarsky was suggesting the restorations came from Kino, which I didn’t believe to be the case

Kino Insider

#2153 Post by Kino Insider » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:43 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:43 pm
Blutarsky wrote: I am a Criterion addict, been so for 7 years. But with Kino snatching the OOP titles, I have 0 problem. The restoration work on Alphaville, Bob Le Flambeur, Leon Morin, Priest, and especially Le Doulos, I have no qualms if they had the entire StudioCanal library. BRING ON THE GABIN!!!
Mr Insider, I was specifically referring to this post about your releases of the SC films. I wasn’t referring to the other labels you have deals with. It sounded like Blutarsky was suggesting the restorations came from Kino, which I didn’t believe to be the case
The label always gets the credit and/or the blame. I guess we could list the company responsible for the restoration, but no one else does. It's always a brand new...

If you check the first page, we list the ones we did and didn't take credit for someone else's restoration. For some of the Paramount titles, we included the following language: 4K scan by Paramount (additional DRS/color correction by KL).

kcota17

#2154 Post by kcota17 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:01 pm

The tea is HOT

Blutarsky

#2155 Post by Blutarsky » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:11 pm

To clarify I was not suggesting restorations came from Kino. I know Kino licenses them from StudioCanal. I was just expressing more how happy Kino has accesses to these international restorations and how they make it available. If that helps at this point, that is what I meant. When writing my first statement I had been up for 40 hours flying internationally and then building Ikea furniture.

Blutarsky

#2156 Post by Blutarsky » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:13 pm

Forgive me for all the scratching heads and piping hot, scold-your-throat tea that was thrown. All things sorted, I rather be in Philadelphia

FrauBlucher

#2157 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:20 pm

Kino Insider wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:43 pm
FrauBlucher wrote:
The label always gets the credit and/or the blame. I guess we could list the company responsible for the restoration, but no one else does. It's always a brand new...

If you check the first page, we list the ones we did and didn't take credit for someone else's restoration. For some of the Paramount titles, we included the following language: 4K scan by Paramount (additional DRS/color correction by KL).
That's not necessarily true. Criterion on their booklets list the houses that do the restorations, as do some of the UK Boutiques. That's why everyone, at least on this forum, knows that Eclair's work is a shit show. I guess the other forums don't pay attention or care about that aspect of the restorations.

GetHarryPalmer

#2158 Post by GetHarryPalmer » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:43 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:20 pm
Kino Insider wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:43 pm
FrauBlucher wrote:

That's not necessarily true. Criterion on their booklets list the houses that do the restorations, as do some of the UK Boutiques. That's why everyone, at least on this forum, knows that Eclair's work is a shit show. I guess the other forums don't pay attention or care about that aspect of the restorations.
Who cares about which house they use, the label/studio oversees and approves the transfer and decide how much works needs to done and how much they're willing to spend. Most U.S. labels work with the same group of mastering houses, Fotokem, Duplitech, Deluxe and so on.

nitin

#2159 Post by nitin » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:39 pm

Kino does/commissions a quite a few restorations, some are very good some are not so good. Their hit rate has improved quite a bit though, and they have also done right with a number of their Studiocanal releases, so it’s unfortunate when they don’t correct the releases that end up going out with noticeable errors and double down on the ‘there was no error’ approach.

Kino Insider

#2160 Post by Kino Insider » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:54 am

The KLSC 5th Anniversary Sale Will Go Live Later Today!

Here's the List of the KLSC Top 50 Best Selling Blu-rays and DVDs!

BLU-RAY
GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY, THE
WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION
ONE MILLION YEARS B.C.
RAWHEAD REX
NIGHT STALKER, THE
LONG GOODBYE, THE
QUATERMASS EXPERIMENT, THE
NEEDFUL THINGS
NIGHT STRANGLER, THE
SPACECAMP
HAUNTED HONEYMOON
RUSSIANS ARE COMING, THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING, THE
RUN SILENT, RUN DEEP
DEEP RISING
TRILOGY OF TERROR
VIKINGS, THE
CONVOY
PARTY, THE
WHITE LIGHTNING
PORKY'S II: THE NEXT DAY / PORKY'S REVENGE
CHERRY 2000
LIFEBOAT
LION IN WINTER, THE
OUTER LIMITS - SEASON 1
GATOR
ON THE BEACH
MIRACLE MILE
WHITE BUFFALO
BURNT OFFERINGS
GREAT TRAIN ROBBER, THE
TAKING OF PELHAM ONE TWO THREE
HANNIBAL
FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM
BLACK SABBATH
WANDERERS, THE
FISTFUL OF DOLLARS, A
DAY AFTER, THE
LOST HIGHWAY
FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE
REVENGE OF THE NINJA
UP THE CREEK
MARK OF ZORRO, THE
GOG
ADVENTURES OF CAPTAIN MARVEL
PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES
SCAVENGER HUNT
MAZE, THE
THEY SHOOT HORSES DON'T THEY
HOUSE OF THE LONG SHADOWS
EMERALD FOREST, THE

DVD
CONVOY
THUNDERBOLT AND LIGHTFOOT
HAUNTED HONEYMOON
RUSSIANS ARE COMING, THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING, THE
LILIES OF THE FIELD
WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION
JUDGMENT AT NUREMBERG
MIRACLE MILE
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERIFF
INHERIT THE WIND
WHITE LIGHTNING
RUN SILENT, RUN DEEP
POCKETFUL OF MIRACLES
FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM
WILD AT HEART
ON THE BEACH
GATOR
REMO WILLIAMS: THE ADVENTURE BEGINS
PARTY, THE
CAST A GIANT SHADOW
UNFORGIVEN, THE
SILKWOOD
MARTY
SCAVENGER HUNT
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL GUNFIGHTER
LOVE WITH THE PROPER STRANGER
GUNSMOKE: THE LONG RIDE
GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY, THE
GREAT TRAIN ROBBER, THE
GUNSMOKE: ONE MAN'S JUSTICE
SPACECAMP
TARAS BULBA
ELMER GANTRY
VIKINGS, THE
ONION FIELD, THE
DESPERATELY SEEKING SUSAN
BREAKHEART PASS
DEADLINE - U.S.A.
BURNING BED, THE
COMING HOME
WANDERERS, THE
SEPARATE TABLES
DEVIL'S DISCIPLE, THE
GORKY PARK
FARMER'S DAUGHTER, THE
DUEL AT DIABLO
PARIS BLUES
CANDY
TOUGH GUYS
EMERALD FOREST, THE

Kino Insider

#2161 Post by Kino Insider » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:31 pm

The KLSC 5th Anniversary Sale is Live!

Every title on the KLSC site is on Sale!

DVDs as low as $4.99 and Blu-rays as low as $5.99!

Free USA Shipping - Orders of $50 or more!

Sale Ends Sunday, August 4th!

https://www.klstudioclassics.com/shop

SSF

#2162 Post by SSF » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:45 pm

Are the Pioneers of African American Cinema and the Pioneers First Women Filmmakers sets not on the website?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2163 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:50 pm

They're not Studio Classics

CantelopeSkiz

#2164 Post by CantelopeSkiz » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:53 pm

Those are both available on https://www.kinolorber.com/ rather than the klstudioclassics website. The main Kino Lorber site, I believe, has everything that the klstudioclassics does, in addition to films from all of their other lines. Currently, Pioneers of African American Cinema is the usual 25% off, and the Pioneers: First Women Filmmakers set is 40% off.

Bumstead

#2165 Post by Bumstead » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:16 pm

For anyone looking for quick recs, picked these up for $50 and free shipping:

Leon Morin, Priest (Special Edition) aka Léon Morin, prêtre
Le Doulos (Special Edition) aka The Finger Man
Bob Le Flambeur (Special Edition) aka Bob the Gambler
They Might Be Giants (Special Edition)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2166 Post by swo17 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:25 pm

So Alphaville is Studio Classics but not the other Godards?

Kino Insider

#2167 Post by Kino Insider » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:34 pm

swo17 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:25 pm
So Alphaville is Studio Classics but not the other Godards?
Yes, it was released under the KLSC banner and the other ones weren't. We had a Kino Lorber sale in June and some of the Godard titles were on sale.

Kino Insider

#2168 Post by Kino Insider » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:52 pm

Coming October 1st!

Wanted: Dead or Alive (1987) with optional English subtitles
• Brand New 2K Master!
• Audio Commentary by Director Gary Sherman and Executive Producer Arthur M. Sarkissian
• Interview with Gary Sherman
• Interview with star Mel Harris
• Two W: DOA Theatrical Trailers

When the Hunter Becomes the Prey, Somebody’s Going to Pay! From Gary Sherman, the director of Raw Meat, Dead & Buried and Vice Squad! Nick Randall (Rutger Hauer, Blade Runner, Flesh+Blood) is an urban bounty hunter, a lethal professional who collects society’s garbage for a living. Malak Al Rahim (KISS legend Gene Simmons, Runaway) is an international terrorist with a plan to turn Los Angeles into a bloody battlefield. But when the CIA uses Randall as bait to trap the madman, the hunter becomes the hunted. And when the violence hits Randall’s home, the bounty becomes a mission of very personal vengeance. Robert Guillaume (TV’s Benson), Mel Harris (TV’s Thirtysomething) and William Russ (Disorganized Crime) co-star in this action-packed thriller which features a final showdown that critics and fans alike call one of the most explosive climaxes of the ’80s.

Kino Insider

#2169 Post by Kino Insider » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:09 pm

Coming October 1st!

"ffolkes" (1980) with optional English subtitles
• Audio Commentary by Film Historians Howard S. Berger, Steve Mitchell and Nathaniel Thompson
• Reversible Art
• Theatrical Trailer

Also known as: North Sea Hijack
Screen legends Roger Moore (The Spy Who Loved Me), Anthony Perkins (Psycho) and James Mason (Lolita) star in this fast-paced, edge-of-your-seat espionage thriller. Madman Lou Kramer (Perkins) captures and threatens to destroy a vital North Sea oil rig in 24 hours unless the British government delivers a huge ransom. Only one man has the skills to defeat him—Rufus Excalibur Ffolkes (Moore), a reclusive underwater expert who leads an elite commando team in a race-against-the-clock high-seas assault. Veteran filmmaker Andrew V. McLaglen (The Wild Geese, The Devil’s Brigade) directed this entertaining, action-packed, humorous and offbeat thriller in a genre all its own.
Last edited by Kino Insider on Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kino Insider

#2170 Post by Kino Insider » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:06 pm

Coming October 1st!

Trilogy of Terror II (1996) with optional English subtitles
• Newly Restored in HD!
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Troy Howarth
• Interview with Second Unit Director Eric Allard and Special Makeup Effects Artist Rick Stratton
• Trailers

Unleashed in the original classic hit Trilogy of Terror, the demonic Zuni fetish doll carved its way into horror movie history. Now the black-magic headhunter returns to life, headlining this diabolical anthology of fear. The Graveyard Rats – After bumping off her wealthy husband, a money-hungry wife faces an unexpected complication: a cemetery crawling with flesh-eating rodents. Written by Richard Matheson (The Night Stalker) and Henry Kuttner (The Twonky) and directed by Dan Curtis (The Night Strangler). Bobby – Monstrous consequences result when a mother strikes a devilish bargain to bring her drowned son back from the dead. Written by Matheson and directed by Curtis. He Who Kills – When an African Zuni fetish doll is tied to multiple grisly murders, a young scientist investigates… and awakens an unspeakable ancient evil. Written by William F. Nolan (Burnt Offerings) and Dan Curtis and directed by Curtis. Starring Lysette Anthony (Krull), Matt Clark (White Lightning) and Geoffrey Lewis (High Plains Drifter).

Kino Insider

#2171 Post by Kino Insider » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:39 am

The KLSC 5th Anniversary Sale Continues!

Every title on the KLSC site is on Sale!

DVDs as low as $4.99 and Blu-rays as low as $5.99!

Free USA Shipping - Orders of $50 or more!

Sale Ends Sunday, August 4th!

https://www.klstudioclassics.com/shop

Kino Insider

#2172 Post by Kino Insider » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:39 am

Coming October 8th on DVD and Blu-ray!

Nightmare Beach (1989) with optional English subtitles
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Samm Deighan
• Nightmare Rock: Interview with Composer Claudio Simonetti
• Includes both English and Italian Audio
• Reversible Blu-ray Art
• Theatrical Trailer

Brand New 4K Master! From Umberto Lenzi, notorious director of such Euro-sleaze classics as Paranoia, Seven Blood-Stained Orchids, Spasmo, Eyeball and Cannibal Ferox comes Nightmare Beach, a shockingly gory tale of a madman in a motorcycle helmet who is taking out young co-eds all over the sparkling sands of South Florida during Spring Break. As the body count creeps up, Miami detective John Saxon (A Nightmare on Elm Street, Black Christmas, Evil Eye) tries to keep ahead of the curve in this carnage-packed slasher gem from the maestro of macabre. Featuring a rollicking score by Goblin’s Claudio Simonetti (Suspiria, Dawn of the Dead, The Heroin Busters) and co-starring the great Michael Parks (Kill Bill: Vol. 1 & 2 and TV’s Then Came Bronson).

Kino Insider

#2173 Post by Kino Insider » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:07 pm

Baby Blood (1990) with optional English subtitles
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Lee Gambin and Film Critic Jarret Gahan
• Includes both Original French and English Audio
• Theatrical Trailer

It’s Time to Feed the Baby! It is a voracious parasite from the dawn of creation, surviving centuries in search of the one thing it needs: to be born of a human. But when this cunning creature slithers inside a sexy circus performer (voluptuous French starlet Emmanuelle Escourrou, Lady Blood), it demands gallons of fresh blood to grow stronger. Now this reluctantly expectant mommy and her chatty mutant fetus are off on a cross-country killing spree, where pre-natal care means violent carnage and the ultimate mother’s milk is Baby Blood! Also known as The Evil Within, this French shocker is now presented totally uncut and uncensored with all its infamous womb-raiding, gore-spewing and flesh-baring beautifully restored in HD! Co-written and directed by Alain Robak (Adrénaline).

Kino Insider

#2174 Post by Kino Insider » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:23 pm

My Boyfriend's Back (1993) with optional English subtitles
• Audio Commentary by Director Bob Balaban with Actors Mary Beth Hurt and Austin Pendleton
• Interview with Star Andrew Lowery
• Interview with Director Bob Balaban
• Interview with Composer Harry Manfredini
• Interview with Actor Austin Pendleton
• Reversible Blu-ray Art
• Theatrical Trailer

Teenager Johnny Dingle (Andrew Lowery, Color of Night) will do anything to keep his date with the hottest girl in school—even come back from the grave! You see, Johnny had the perfect scheme to win the heart of Missy McCloud (Traci Lind, Class of 1999), the town beauty. Unfortunately, Johnny’s scam goes sour and he winds up dead. Even so, Johnny’s determined to keep his date—unaware of the hilarity waiting for him upon his return. The wonderful cast includes Edward Herrmann (The Lost Boys), Mary Beth Hurt (D.A.R.Y.L.), Austin Pendleton (Hello Again), Matthew Fox (Bone Tomahawk), Philip Seymour Hoffman (Boogie Nights), Paul Dooley (Popeye), Jay O. Sanders (V.I. Warshawski), Bob Dishy (The Big Bus), Matthew McConaughey (A Time to Kill) and Cloris Leachman (Scavenger Hunt) as Maggie the Zombie Expert. Produced by Sean S. Cunningham (Friday the 13th), written by Dean Lorey (Major Payne) and directed by Bob Balaban (Parents).

Kino Insider

#2175 Post by Kino Insider » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:30 pm

The Monster (1994) with optional English subtitles
• Brand New 4K Master
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian and Critic Peter Tonguette
• Theatrical Trailer

From Roberto Benigni, the legendary star, writer and director of Johnny Stecchino and Life Is Beautiful! Hapless grifter Loris (Benigni) is always willing to take a stab at something new—so he lets Jessica (Nicoletta Braschi, Down by Law), an attractive stranger, move in. What he doesn’t know is that Jessica is an undercover cop who suspects him to be a serial killer and certified sex fiend—and she'll stop at nothing to get her man. Beautifully shot by the great Carlo Di Palma (Blow-Up, Hannah and Her Sisters) and co-starring acting greats Michel Blanc (Monsieur Hire) and Jean-Claude Brialy (Claire’s Knee), The Monster was a monstrous box-office smash and a riotous showcase for Benigni’s slapstick genius.