Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Jameson281

Re: Kino: MGM Acquisitions

#176 Post by Jameson281 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:06 pm

Kino has just announced Jonathan Demme's LAST EMBRACE. It's a brand-new transfer, approved by Tak Fujimoto.

PfR73

#177 Post by PfR73 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:49 pm

Gentlemen, you had my curiosity. But now you have my attention.

Ashirg

#178 Post by Ashirg » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:04 pm

Desperately Seeking Susan (1985) Added to the list.

Special Features:
• Audio Commentary by the Producers
• Original and Alternate Endings
• Original Theatrical Trailer
• Optional English Subtitles

CSM126

#179 Post by CSM126 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:56 pm

I'm an unabashed fan of Desperately Seeking Susan, so I'm glad at that news. The old DVD was fairly awful in the A/V department.

Ashirg

#180 Post by Ashirg » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:59 pm

Coming October 21th From KL Studio Classics on BLU-RAY and DVD - Michael Apted's classic thriller GORKY PARK.

Special Features:
• New On-camera Interview with Director Michael Apted

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#181 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:07 pm

I don't know, I think the non-anamorphic twofer with Eye of the Needle shoved onto one disc from TGC Direct is pretty sufficient

Ashirg

#182 Post by Ashirg » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:49 pm

The Long Goodbye is now set for November 25 release date, for those who don't want to import Arrow release. So far, only MGM extras have been confirmed...

Also, Coming October 21st From KL Studio Classics on BLU-RAY and DVD - Bryan Forbes' 1984 Hitchcockian Thriller, The Naked Face.

So many thrillers are Hitchcockian....

dwk

#183 Post by dwk » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:15 pm

Bava's Planet of the Vampires
From Scorpion Releasing's page:
Another title I suggested to Kino, is one of my most anticipated releases for BluRay, Mario Bava's classic PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES! This will come out both BluRay and DVD! Tentative release date is scheduled at late October, and we are working on extras with Tim Lucas as we post this. More info to follow.

Altair

#184 Post by Altair » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:37 am

Will this be an MGM licence? If so, with Arrow's track record of interest in releasing Bava's films, does this now have a good chance of coming from them next year?

dwk

#185 Post by dwk » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:01 pm

Altair wrote:Will this be an MGM licence? If so, with Arrow's track record of interest in releasing Bava's films, does this now have a good chance of coming from them next year?
In the US it is an MGM title, but I'm not sure if MGM has the UK rights.

pointless

#186 Post by pointless » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:06 pm

Altair wrote:Will this be an MGM licence? If so, with Arrow's track record of interest in releasing Bava's films, does this now have a good chance of coming from them next year?
Even though this is an MGM release in the US it is a Scorpion Releasing title and probably should be posted to Scorpion board instead.

Kino Lorber has signed a multi-year distribution deal with Scorpion. As far as I can tell Scorpion will remain a separate label.

dwk

#187 Post by dwk » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:31 pm

Kino is releasing it, Scorpion Releasing is producing the special features for it.

Ashirg

#188 Post by Ashirg » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:13 pm

JUST IN TIME FOR HALLOWEEN! Coming October 21st From Kino Lorber - For the First Time on DVD and Blu-ray - DAVID HESS' Highly Requested Slasher Film TO ALL A GOODNIGHT - Starring JENNIFER RUNYON - Recommended to Kino Lorber by Scorpion Releasing - DVD/BLU and Special Features Produced by Scorpion Releasing - Extras include a NEW on-camera interview with stars JENNIFER RUNYON and KATHLEEN HERRINGTON and the writer/producer ALEX REBAR and the original trailer.
It's a shame that only Scorpion Releasing titles get newly created special features, while all other classics get nothing or extras ported over from MGM or excepts from older Kino releases.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#189 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:15 pm

To All a Goodnight, haha, oh man. Fond memories of watching this on a 240p Youtube third generation VHS rip with my girlfriend at the time, who was not able to even understand what she was watching because it was so worn out and dark and I had to more or less dictate the action (years of awful third generation tape dubs have given me some skills!). And now it'll be on Blu-ray. Unreal.

manicsounds

#190 Post by manicsounds » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:36 am

Considering Scorpion Releasing have made their own special features for some time, it's not surprising.
As for Kino themselves, they've rarely made their own special features. They've made some audio commentaries, or visual essays (like on the Keaton sets), but almost all their releases have special features licensed from other distributors or from the original rights holders.

Askew

#191 Post by Askew » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:11 pm

Man of the West coming November 4th!

rockysds

#192 Post by rockysds » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:07 pm

Viva Maria! coming November 4th.

JMULL222

#193 Post by JMULL222 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:31 pm

Please let this mean they have the rights to the (now OOP) Truffaut's that were released under the same MGM World Films label.

captveg

#194 Post by captveg » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:15 pm

JMULL222 wrote:Please let this mean they have the rights to the (now OOP) Truffaut's that were released under the same MGM World Films label.
Opens up a ton of possibilities. Here's hoping for Raise the Red Lantern, Eat Drink Man Woman, and Rhapsody in August.

Minkin

#195 Post by Minkin » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:24 pm

Ah fuck. I had rather hoped this would be picked up by Criterion. Its a lot of fun and Criterion rather likes Malle/Bardot. Here's hoping Arrow can at least pick this one up now.
JMULL222 wrote:Please let this mean they have the rights to the (now OOP) Truffaut's that were released under the same MGM World Films label.
I suppose you want them to be released on bluray immediately, rather than have them done properly (if that takes a year or two). Didn't think people would be clamoring for the "kino treatment" at this point (barebones/only the previous features + whatever master the studio has sitting around). I guess I'll just have to be prepared for wave after wave of disappointment when things end up on Kino or Twilight Time.

knives

#196 Post by knives » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:28 pm

Criterion can't release everything and Kino releasing a reasonable Blu is better than getting nothing.

Feego

#197 Post by Feego » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:36 pm

This is starting to look like an inverse of the "Why Doesn't Criterion Release Only What I Want?" thread, only now it's "Why Doesn't Kino STOP Releasing What I Want?"

That's not to say I don't wish we could get full-blown special editions of many of these films taken from 2K or 4K restorations with brand new supplements, but as Knives said, it's just unrealistic to expect Criterion to tackle all of these titles when they already have so much on their plate. If Arrow or another European company releases better editions later, then fantastic, but for now this is indeed better than nothing.

JMULL222

#198 Post by JMULL222 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:14 pm

All of the Truffauts have recently been granted HD masters, so that's not an issue; special features mean nothing to me, so that's not a concern in my eyes either; and Criterion has only released 3 of the 12-13 Truffaut's they hold rights to on Blu-ray, so it doesn't break my heart that they won't have rights to these since they'd probably never get around to them anyway. I'm still worried Criterion will dump stuff like SOFT SKIN/CONFIDENTIALLY YOURS!/TWO ENGLISH GIRLS on an Eclipse, after all. (In which case I'd go to the R2 Artificial Eye blu's, but still.)

Ashirg

#199 Post by Ashirg » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:28 pm

More Dead Than Alive (1968) on November 11. NEWLY RE-MASTERED IN HD!
Special Features:
• New On-camera Interview with Star CLINT WALKER

Calvin

#200 Post by Calvin » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:56 pm

JMULL222 wrote:All of the Truffauts have recently been granted HD masters, so that's not an issue
According to Arrow, there was no HD master available for The Green Room when they were considering licensing it earlier this year.