Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#1351 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:43 pm

I don't remember it being terrible, but only because I don't remember it at all, which is probably worse

Perkins Cobb

#1352 Post by Perkins Cobb » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:49 pm

It's not even Sydney Pollack's final film, unless one is of the "documentaries don't count" stripe.

Kino Insider

#1353 Post by Kino Insider » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:07 pm

It has never been out in the U.S. - we could care less about a UK and other territory releases, we're an American company releasing Blu-rays in North America.

The Interpreter is his final feature film - He also directed an episode of American Masters in 2005 and is credited for directing the 2016 doc Amazing Grace - he died in 2008.

And, The Interpreter is solid thriller with a great performance by Kidman.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1354 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:12 pm

Kino Insider wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:07 pm
It has never been out in the U.S. - we could care less about a UK and other territory releases, we're an American company releasing Blu-rays in North America.
True, but the Interpreter has a cheap region free Blu-Ray from Universal already, so it doesn't matter where it came from. Not like region capability ever held anyone back from picking this up

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1355 Post by swo17 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:13 pm

Kino Insider wrote:
The Interpreter is his final feature film - He also directed an episode of American Masters in 2005 and is credited for directing the 2016 doc Amazing Grace - he died in 2008.
Pollack mostly finished Amazing Grace before handing it over to a friend (who did not retain a directorial credit), but Aretha Franklin kept it from release for "improperly using her likeness and name."

Perkins Cobb

#1356 Post by Perkins Cobb » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:05 pm

Kino Insider wrote:

And, The Interpreter is solid thriller with a great performance by Kidman.
Sketches of Frank Gehry got a theatrical release from Sony Classics before it ran on PBS. It is inarguably Pollack's last feature (unless you count Amazing Grace, but it's definitely not The Interpreter).

Kino Insider

#1357 Post by Kino Insider » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:55 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:12 pm
Kino Insider wrote:
True, but the Interpreter has a cheap region free Blu-Ray from Universal already, so it doesn't matter where it came from. Not like region capability ever held anyone back from picking this up
It was released for the UK market and some copies flooded its way to Amazon US. Majority of the US customers don't buy imports, just the hardcore collectors. Also, that Blu-ray had no extras, our will.

Kino Insider

#1358 Post by Kino Insider » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:56 pm

swo17 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:13 pm
Kino Insider wrote:
Pollack mostly finished Amazing Grace before handing it over to a friend (who did not retain a directorial credit), but Aretha Franklin kept it from release for "improperly using her likeness and name."

Again, not a feature film. Not sure if the doc Amazing Grace even received a theatrical release.

Perkins Cobb

#1359 Post by Perkins Cobb » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:53 pm

It must be exhausting to be incapable of making an error and then have to spend all your time explaining to everyone why you weren't wrong.

colinr0380

#1360 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:24 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:43 pm
I don't remember it being terrible, but only because I don't remember it at all, which is probably worse
It has been a long time since I watched the film as well but I remember enjoying it very much, but then I like the idea of a film trying to create an insider's view of the work of a United Nations interpreter, whether it is true to life or not! (I guess in these more security conscious times Kidman's character would not be able to leave her musical instrument case in a back room whilst she works!). The scene I remember liking the most came in the middle of the film I think, with Penn's character watching Kidman's from an opposite apartment as they have a conversation. Though I could be misremembering the details, I seem to remember it being one of those nice moments of quiet in the middle of a thriller film.

By the way since I am posting in this thread, I do want to commend Kino Lorber on releasing the notorious Color of Night in both its director's cut and theatrical versions.

Randall Maysin

#1361 Post by Randall Maysin » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:43 pm

Perkins Cobb wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:53 pm
It must be exhausting to be incapable of making an error and then have to spend all your time explaining to everyone why you weren't wrong.
Surely not as exhausting as caring about things that don't matter in the least...

Kino Insider

#1362 Post by Kino Insider » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:16 pm

Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

The Ice Harvest (2005) Starring John Cusack, Billy Bob Thornton, Connie Nielsen, Oliver Platt, Mike Starr and Randy Quaid - Screenplay by Robert Benton (Bonnie and Clyde) and Richard Russo (Nobody's Fool) - Directed by Harold Ramis (Groundhog Day).

Bumstead

#1363 Post by Bumstead » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:25 pm

Kino Insider wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:16 pm
Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

The Ice Harvest (2005) Starring John Cusack, Billy Bob Thornton, Connie Nielsen, Oliver Platt, Mike Starr and Randy Quaid - Screenplay by Robert Benton (Bonnie and Clyde) and Richard Russo (Nobody's Fool) - Directed by Harold Ramis (Groundhog Day).
Great news! Hugely underrated.

Kino Insider

#1364 Post by Kino Insider » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:34 pm

Bumstead wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:25 pm
Kino Insider wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:16 pm
Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

Great news! Hugely underrated.
Thanks, we agree.

eerik

#1365 Post by eerik » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:26 pm

Kino Insider wrote:
Of course you could care less. Maybe that's why you complained about Universal's release of Barton Fink being "illegal"...

Note that Universal co-produced the film (through Working Title Films) and control it worldwide outside of the United States and Canada, and have released it in various region A, region B and region C countries.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1366 Post by domino harvey » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:28 pm

Actually, to be fair, this new Kino Lorber Insider is not the same guy who made that post. I believe that individual left the company a few months back

FrauBlucher

#1367 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:46 pm

All due respect to the Kino Insider, he posts here where majority of the members are region free. That automatically opens up his competition to all regions.

eerik

#1368 Post by eerik » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:22 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:28 pm
Actually, to be fair, this new Kino Lorber Insider is not the same guy who made that post. I believe that individual left the company a few months back
Thanks for clearing that. Though, as I remember, Kino were also the ones who insisted on everybody region-locking their releases of Metropolis (and other FWMS titles), so I guess their anti competition and consumer-choice attitude has remained the same over the years.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1369 Post by tenia » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:05 am

FrauBlucher wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:46 pm
All due respect to the Kino Insider, he posts here where majority of the members are region free. That automatically opens up his competition to all regions.
But then, it's something he also has to understand and aknowledge. It's not as if people are pointing out a foreign release in jest, they're making a legitimate remark about the movie's life on video. Now, if a label prefers not to care about the existence of a foreign release, even if Region Free, because the majority of their customers only buy domestic releases, then fine, but they should both realise how the people pointing out this foreign release aren't wrong (it does exist !) and just stick to the whole "it doesn't have a visible impact on our sales" instead of choosing less compelling arguments.

Perkins Cobb

#1370 Post by Perkins Cobb » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:48 am

domino harvey wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:28 pm
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss....

Donald Brown

#1371 Post by Donald Brown » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:13 am

Come on, guys. This new representative is clearly more respectful and mild-mannered than the previous one. Let's not be needlessly antagonistic.

FrauBlucher

#1372 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:17 am

Donald Brown wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:13 am
Come on, guys. This new representative is clearly more respectful and mild-mannered than the previous one. Let's not be needlessly antagonistic.
Agreed about current rep. Unlike Mr Lime and Nick Redman of Twilight Time who would lose their shit when someone brought up region b releases. All I'm saying is, and not being antagonistic, is the CriterionForum is a place where a majority of members are region free. You also have some reps from boutique labels from the UK posting here. So, "we could care less about a UK and other territory releases" is an unfortunate statement because clearly the folks here, myself included, do care about what comes out in all territories. I would hope that makes all the labels no matter where they are put out the best possible product they can.

And I hope that the Kino rep continues to post here. It's always insightful to have the companies represented here.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1373 Post by domino harvey » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:20 am

I actually hope he starts posting all of Kino Lorber's upcoming releases and but just those titles he thinks this board would be interested in. I mean, I can't fault his reasoning, but Kino rep, you'd be surprised at what some people here would be into!

fdm

#1374 Post by fdm » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:25 am

Kino Lorber Insider at one point indicated that more than one person was posting with that user id over there, if my memory serves.

Werewolf by Night

#1375 Post by Werewolf by Night » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:05 pm

fdm wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:25 am
Kino Lorber Insider at one point indicated that more than one person was posting with that user id over there, if my memory serves.
We are all the Kino Lorber Insider